UEFA Champions League 2015/2016

Yea, Sterling was very good last night, even without his goals. His best performances for us have probably been in the CL - Sevilla away, where he made Sevilla sub Coke and even got applauded by some Sevilla fans when he was eventually brought off- and last night.

KDB was rushing his passing. Needs to show a bit more patience in his game without taking away his strengths

Looked like Gladbach punched themselves out with their efforts, they were excellent in the 1st half but poor in the 2nd (the opposite to us)
The fact that they finished bottom of the group shows that it was a tough one. They probably would have qualified from most of the groups

Last edited:
Congrats to Gent! What an achievement.

Must be so satisfying for their fan-base to be the Belgian club to reach the knockout round when Anderlecht, Club Brugge and Standard Liege could not.

Anderlecht could in 2000, PLF.
But of course i agree.
And what is more, it doesn't eve matter that they reached the knock-out stage. The biggest success is that they played to their strengths, playing offensive football instead of parking the bus.
I've lived for 20 years in Gent (the most fun city in Belgium, by far, you should visit it) and i even coached some youth teams for AA Gent.
15 years ago, that club seemed dead. They had tons of debts and an old stadium.

Then came the new president. He had a son who was a big fan of AA Gent, but the son got sick and died in his early 20's.
As a tribute to his son, De Witte took over AA Gent and from then on, things started to get better.
Since last season they have a fantastic new stadium and since the beginning of 2015 they have the best team in Belgium. A team with no real stars (but watch out for Moses Simon and Sven Kums) but with a fantastic coach.

85% of the Belgian football fans would love to see Van Haezebrouck take over as coach of our national team. With him we can silverware, not with Wilmots. This guy is sooo clever and unorthodox. To hear him talk about football is a joy. He deserves to work at a really big club.

The sad thing is that now Gent will have to play a team like Barcelona, Bayern Munchen or Real Madrid and that they will end up loosing like Malmö did...this will tarnish their fantastic campaign. I hope they play Chelsea or Wolfsburg...

FT4IPRx4VN0.jpg

Juve's failure to get points in Sevilla and finish 1st in group really made qualification beyond round of 16 difficult for them! Now they face Bayern...

Feel sorry for Juve in the end, I would have liked Buffon to get that trophy at last.

Have to admit though that ref just gave foul upon foul upon foul to Bayern for every little thing, but wasn't as generous to Juve.

Mind you Evra, what a howler he ended up with, 2nd and 3rd goals, ouch.

Never saw any of the Barca - Arsenal game, but Barca were 1/6 to beat Arsenal, lol, that is embarassing odds.

FD

Would have liked Wolfsburg or Benfica
Glad we avoided Barca and Bayern

PSG are part of the 'difficult but doable' ties, alongside Real and Atletico, imo.

That said, we'll need to rediscover some fecking form beforehand.

----

Barca probably not that enthused about getting Atletico.

Last edited:
Barcelona is the one team that Atletico can't beat.
It will be two tough games, but it would be a huge surprise if Atletico would beat them (which i would like).
Real Madrid are lucky...i'm glad now that Gent was eliminated by Wolfsburg.

PSG were utterly terrible. What the hell kind of 'performance' was that? City didn't even have to be any good (though what a goal).

:ROCK: KDB the difference-maker

We were good but in a different way to usual. We were excellent at cutting off their passing lanes
Combination of our work, the complete lack of intensity needed in the French League and KDB's goal sapped them

CRonaldo on fire tonight but I still wouldn't mind drawing them in the Semi's. Anyone but Barca

i agree that city definitely have a chance to beat real. i was watching a simulcast, but from what i saw psg where very static in offense, constantly trying to get van der wiel to get a cross-in (which he did, but all were terrible). don't know what blanc was trying with this line-up but it clearly failed. so much attacking quality and still not being able to score against a city back-line without kompany (though i must say otamendi-mangala is starting to look much better).

Mangala is almost always very good vs big strikers. He can pocket Zlatan and Costa but not Shane Long :LOL:

I always think De Bruyne are a better choice than Di Maria for PSG last summer :SMUG: (and far far faaaaaar better than Hazard)

Ok, PSG play without the original midfield players, but offensively it's so poor :BLINK:
Hart make the different too

Wy putting Marquinos in midfield and not Pastore?
Why Lucas on the bench?

And generally, why playing Luiz at all...

PSG are flat track bullies: good against weaker teams (Ligue 1 and Europe), but not good enough against the better sides and i'm not even sure if City are a top team like Bayern and Barcelona.

Imo City's back six field players are not good enough against the real strong opponents.

Yea, there's no doubt we're not a top team like Barca certainly. We're not as good as Bayern either but we can beat them. Over 2 legs there's like a 1% chance we'd get past Barca so if we have to face them again let's hope it's in the final :P Anything can happen in a one-off game.

If we were to somehow win the whole thing it'd be another case of the best team not winning it but I don't think I'd give a crap about that lol

I've joked that the final will be City vs Pep but in football these things have a habit of cropping up so who knows?!

Of the back 6 I think Hart and Fernandinho have shown their class in the CL.

I wasn't including Hart, he's good but imo not top.
If you compare him to Buffon, Courtois, Neuer, De Gea: he's worse than them.
He's in the same league as Trapp and Ter Steegen.
Fernandinho was good in both matches against PSG and Fernando was good yesterday.
Clichy also played better than ususal.

But Ottamendi-Mangala is an accident waiting to happen.

Back
Top Bottom