UEFA Champions League '06 - '07 Final: Liverpool - AC Milan

Re: UEFA Champions League 2006-2007

gib2504 said:
Well that ruins my dream tie of Celtic v Lille, i wonder if Ajax going out fucked it up.

They would have been pot 2 surely.

THIS IS MY PREDICTION FOR CELTICS GROUP

REAL MADRID
CELTIC
WERDER BREMEN
LEVSKI SOFIA

------------
And then we go out

It could be worse

Barcalona
Celtic
Benfica
Hamburger

Then you struggle for the Uefa Cup. :p

That would be nice, a lot of footie show Cloud with Barça and Hamburger there. :p

My god, that was absolutely unbelievable. Sometimes everything will go against you, and yesterday we just had one of those games, first half 4-5 great chances to score, and the players probably thought it was in the bag, and it should have been. But Kopenhagen managed to score 2 goals, without creating 1 actual real chance for the whole the whole game, i dont Stekelenburg has had to make any saves from shots on his goal, only some high ball to box away.

Bad for us, and Dutch football, but we'll have to move on and concentrate all our energy on winning the league this year (im not too bothered about UEFA cup personally)

gib2504 said:
Draw procedure announced

UEFA has confirmed the draw procedure for the group stage of the 2006/07 UEFA Champions League, which will take place from 18.00CET at the Grimaldi Forum in Monaco.

Coefficient ranking

The 32 teams will be placed in four pots in accordance with their UEFA coefficient ranking. Pot 1 will comprise last season's winners FC Barcelona and the top seven ranked clubs, Pot 2 the next eight and so on for Pots 3 and 4. The sides are therefore divided into eight groups of four. Each team will play three matches on Tuesday and three on Wednesday.

Pairings

If two sides from the same association qualify, they will be paired to split their matches between Tuesday and Wednesday, so one club will always play at home on one day and the other will play away on the other day. In the case of associations with three representatives, only two teams will be paired in terms of their fixtures; in the case of associations with four representatives, two pairings will be made. These pairings will be based on the TV audience and take account of the provisions of the competition regulations concerning stadiums.

Colour codings

To ensure that sides from the same country play on separate days, the eight groups will be distinguished by colour: Groups A-D will be red and Groups E-H blue. When a paired club is drawn, for example, into one of the red groups, the other paired club – once it has been drawn – will automatically be assigned to one of the four blue groups. Teams from Pot 1 will be provisionally placed in the first position within their groups, teams from Pot 2 will provisionally take the second spot in their sections, and so on.

Final position

Russian clubs FC Spartak Moskva and PFC CSKA Moskva will be assigned positions one or three in their groups to allow them to play away on Matchday 6, which falls on 5/6 December. Once the draw procedure has been completed, a computer draw will determine the final position of the sides within their group. These positions within the group will then determine the order of the home and away matches.

2006/07 UEFA Champions League draw

Pot 1

FC Barcelona
AC Milan
Real Madrid CF
FC Internazionale Milano
Liverpool FC
Arsenal FC
Manchester United FC
Valencia CF

Pot 2

Olympique Lyonnais
FC Porto
PSV Eindhoven
FC Bayern München
Chelsea FC
AS Roma
Celtic FC
LOSC Lille Métropole

Pot 3

Sporting Clube de Portugal
SL Benfica
FC Girondins de Bordeaux
FC Steaua Bucuresti
Werder Bremen
Olympiacos CFP
PFC CSKA Moskva
AEK Athens FC

Pot 4

RSC Anderlecht
FC Dynamo Kyiv
PFC Levski Sofia
FC Shakhtar Donetsk
Galatasaray SK
Hamburger SV
FC Spartak Moskva
FC København
How does this work again gib?
I'm a bit confused.

I thought that this year Lyon would be a top seed (among top 8 eight teams and team #1 of a certain group basically) and I read that they would in many places as well. And Juninho himself even said in a short interview after game against Bordeaux something like this:

"It doesn't matter if we're among top seeds of CL this season. We must work hard as always and not under-estimate anyone... etc."

Chelsea should be in pot 1. But i suppose they haven't been in the CL consistently for as long as United and Arsenal.

It's a bit confusing to work out, the pots are decided from the last 5 years in the competition, and how teams in your country do

So Celtic benefited last year from Rangers run to the Quarter Finals, and out Uefa Cup final place in still counted in the points.

So every teams last 5 years performances in Europe will be included in the co-efficent points

Right the groups, you can't have another team from your Country

and teams from the same country are split so that they play differnet nights

So A,B,C,D play Tuesday

E,F,G,H play the wednesday

then it reverses

Groups will be posted and continually updated here

GROUP A
Barcelona
Chelsea
Werder Bremen
Levski Sofia

GROUP B
Inter Milan
Bayern Munich
Sporting Lisbon
Spartak Moscow

GROUP C
Liverpool
PSV Eindhoven
Bordeaux
Galatasaray

GROUP D
Valencia
AS Roma
Olympiakos
Shakthar Donetsk

GROUP E
Real Madrid
Lyon
Steaua Bucharest
Dynamo Kyiv

GROUP F
Manchester Utd
Celtic
Benfica
FC Copenhagen

GROUP G
Arsenal
FC Porto
CSKA Moscow
Hamburg

GROUP H
AC Milan
Lille OSC
AEK Athens
Anderlecht

Last edited:

Uefa Payer Awards

BEST GOALKEEPER: Jens Lehmann
BEST DEFENDER: Carles Puyol
BEST MIDFIELDER: Deco

Can anyone see a theme here

And it's complete

BEST FORWARD: Samuel Eto'o

Last edited:

Barcelona again!!! :shock:

Last edited:

I'm very pleased for the French teams. It could have been much harder. But careful.

Yer agree Milan have a very good draw.

I must say Group C is looking very strong ;)

Hmm Interesting

tough group for Celtic, only copenhagen pleases me, and they beat Ajax so who knows

Good draw for Lille, pleased with that

I was hoping for Milan-Chelsea in the same group but Barca-Chelsea, well its just as god if not better.

I think Celtic should be happy that they got Copenhagen as the last team, if they got one of the hard teasm I think they would have found it hard for the uefa cup. They still ahve a chance but IMO a very slim one.

What a ridiculous group A!

3 teams that could win CL are now in one group!!!

But whatever.. with the way Uefa picked those pots.. we know some groups would be inbalanced compared to others.

Doesn't matter for me though. For the neutral all this means is that we get to see high quality football right from the start. :)

Yeah shocking to see Barca and Chelski plus Werder, but it will mean some great matches!

PSV have a pretty hard poule, Bordeaux the 2nd team from France and Turkish team are always hard away. We will see Kuyt, Zenden in Kromkamp in Holland though :)

PLF, dont agree Werder is CL winning material with their weak back-line, but upfront they are lethal for sure.

PLF said:
What a ridiculous group A!

3 teams that could win CL are now in one group!!!

But whatever.. with the way Uefa picked those pots.. we know some groups would be inbalanced compared to others.

Doesn't matter for me though. For the neutral all this means is that we get to see high quality football right from the start. :)

3? Hmmm... Don't think so, are you a Werder fan? :)

The arsenal group is quite intresting, Im sure Arsenal will win the group but the intresting thing is the other 3 sides are similar to an extent in terms of ability and performance. It should be intresting to see who finishes 2nd...my money is on CSKA....very awkward trip to Moscow!!

Big Boss said:
PLF, dont agree Werder is CL winning material with their weak back-line, but upfront they are lethal for sure.
People also didn't think Bayer Leverkusen was CL material and they made it all the way to final before losing to the Galacticos!

I'm not saying Werder was gonna or is gonna win the CL but they're certainly one of the teams that are capable of it.

Yes, Werder's defence isn't the greatest though it'll get better when Per Mertesacker comes back from injury.

However their attack is one of the most lethal in world football with the deadly KK combination (Klose and Klasnic) and a rejuvanted Diego in between them.

Not to mention players like Borowski and Frings having a go at you from long-distance with great shots or making runs into the box.

airjoca said:
3? Hmmm... Don't think so, are you a Werder fan? :)
Nop.

I'm willing to bet however that you don't know every Werder player one by one like I do including who sits on their bench and how much depth and quality depth they have to be able to judge how strong the team is properly.

Keep in mind, I'm not suggesting Werder should've been a top seed but they should've been in the 2nd pot and then this situation would've been avoided.

But like I said for someone like me it doesn't matter... all it means is right from the get-go we are watching quality matches like CL Finals :mrgreen:

EDIT: Furthermore, let's not forget HOW Werder got knocked out of CL last season!!

It wasn't a case of not having enough quality or being dominated or anything like that. They had the match all but won when a last second freaky fumble from goalkeeper Tim Wiese dropped the ball for Emerson to put it in empty net and if that hadn't happened.. they would've advanced and Juve would've got knocked out.

Last edited:

Thats true, but i think Porto and Leverkusen had stronger defences then Werder do now, offcourse they have a chance (i mean if Greece can win the EC anything can happen) but for me they're a real outsider and against a team with both strong offence and defence (like Barca and Chelse it will be very difficult for them. Pretty crap for them to be draw into this poule though, while a team like Celtic is in pot2, but stuff like that always happens.

Wow. Puyol, Deco, Eto'o and Ronaldinho. 4 ou of 5, that's a first. I completely agree. Downloaded the match between Barça and Bayern (4-0), just amazing.

Barça IS football.

But they'll eventually get knocked out by Benfica this year... :D

Big Boss said:
Thats true, but i think Porto and Leverkusen had stronger defences then Werder do now, offcourse they have a chance (i mean if Greece can win the EC anything can happen) but for me they're a real outsider and against a team with both strong offence and defence (like Barca and Chelse it will be very difficult for them. Pretty crap for them to be draw into this poule though, while a team like Celtic is in pot2, but stuff like that always happens.
Carefull there's a lot of Celtic fans around. ;)

But yes I fully agree. Lille and Celtic should be in pot 3 compared to Werder but whatever... Lyon and Chelsea shouldn't be in pot 2 either but whatever... none of this really matters when matches start. :)

And yep I agree Porto's defence and overall organization under Mourinho at that time was stronger than current Werder when they won CL but their attack wasn't as strong on the other hand.

Last edited:

beboquintero said:
Group G
ARSENAL
Porto
CSKA Moscow
Hamburg

:)

:thumbup: It would be nice if i can go to Moscow to see Arsenal game.

Back
Top Bottom