TUTORIAL: How to make FIFA 18 compatible with Nvidia Freestyle (Game Filters)

Chuny

-
11 December 2007
First of all: What's Nvidia Freestyle?

It's Nvidia's own native RESHADE/SWEETFX - You can check it right here on the Nvidia's official website https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2018/01/07/geforce-experience-freestyle-ansel-ces-2018 - Actually, and by the by, ReShade Developers were hired by Nvidia to create and work on this tool. So big up to Marty McFly, Crosire and the rest of those geniuses.

And here's the Nvidia's official Frequently Asked Questions: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/geforce-experience/faq/

System Requirements
Do not follow this tutorial if your Graphics Card (or your overall system) doesn't match this list:

2NVwgdV.jpg

So far the officially supported games aren't many (you can check the official list here: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/geforce-experience/freestyle-games).
For example, PRO EVOLUTION SOCCER 2018 is natively supported from the get-go but FIFA 18 isn't. So we need to force it to be compatible with FIFA 18.

What do we need?

1- Download and install the lastest GeForce Experience version from here: https://www.geforce.com/geforce-experience/download

Once it's installed, open it and make sure to enable these 2 options.

GEFORCE EXPERIENCE.jpg

2- Download Nvidia Profile Inspector from here (currently 2.1.3.10): https://ci.appveyor.com/project/Orbmu2k/nvidiaprofileinspector/build/artifacts

Also IMPORTANT! Make sure you have the latest drivers for your graphics card.

3- Run NvidiaProfileInspector, and select FIFA 18 from the drop down menu.
Lastly, scroll down to the "Others" section and make sure every parameter and value are EXACTLY as shown in the image below. Go one by one, compare and change when necessary.

ACIVhQB.jpg

4- Click on the "APPLY CHANGES' button at the top-right corner. Close NVidia Profile Inspector and run FIFA 18.
Once you are in the game (You can do it from the menu but I suggest you do this step once you are already playing a match): press ALT + F3 on your Keyboard. You should now see this overlay (this is a cropped down version).

EHjpPfR.png

THAT'S IT!
Now you can start creating your own styles. So far you can save and store up to 3 presets, but that's more than enough.

A little example of what I've come up with (this suits my own personal taste, feel free to dislike it and come up with something that suits yourself)-

From this:

HLk0k94.png

To this:

7JMY0W8.png

From this:

CTIn4NK.png

To this:

mDnnlPI.png

MDtgbJn.png

Remember, when you close FIFA and run it next time, you will need to press ALT + F3 again and select the profile you want again, because up until now there isn't an option to have a selected profile loaded by default upon start up.

I wrote this tutorial myself and it took me quite some time to figure this whole thing out, so please... if you want to share it on another forum, or on your websites... just credit me, that's all I ask for ;)

CREDITS: Marty McFly, Crosire for ReShade/SweetFX which are the basis and fundamentals for Nvidia's own FreeStyle.

And also, credits to @kilay for the heads up on this new feature from GeForce Experience. I would have never known about it (because I don't usually expect this kind of things from real official companies/retailers/developers like Nvidia, so I don't even bother looking for these options in their software/tools/drivers).

ENJOY!

Last edited:
Great tuto also if i'm not playing FIFA :)
Just point out that pressing ALT+F2 (that usually enable Ansel)in any others place then 'replay mode' in the last build stuck the Nvdia Experience
Of course this is happened on PES 2018 i don't know if on FIFA it's the same

What presets do you use for those picture?
Is there any performance hit by using this?

I made it myself but it's hard to share.
I am yet to find where Nvidia stores the ini/config files for the presets, in order to share them easily. It's a mystery so far.

Nice. Did you notice any performance drop? Or it doesn't impact Performance like Reshade?

I honestly couldn't notice any. Not even at 4K. Haven't tried with DX12 though.
I guess there could be some performance hit depending on the rig.

I honestly couldn't notice any. Not even at 4K. Haven't tried with DX12 though.
I guess there could be some performance hit depending on the rig.
Nice. That means the performance impact is not big as Reshade. I'll test it once I get it working.

Well I guess the fact that these game filters are developed by two of Reshades developers along with Nvidia's own devs mean that they must ensure compatibility, stability and performance up to a certain degree. Also I think that's why they haven't bundled as many effects by default as Reshade. They've made sure it's enough to make you tune the game however you want without compromising FPS.

So far there are only two of Reshade's effects that I wish they had ported, but so far I'm loving it nontheless.

@Chuny

So I've tried it, but seems like it makes a major hit in performance. About 10-18 FPS drop.

So in some stadiums, especially with snow weather, cutscenes drop to 48 FPS. Too bad it looked so great. Especially the sharpening filter. You know, DSR removes aliasing , but it makes everything blurry. Lowering DSR smoothness does help, but it brings back aliasing. But keeping DSR to 33% while forcing 70% sharpness with Freestyle made everything alias free while being clear.

Anyway, thanks again.

@Chuny

So I've tried it, but seems like it makes a major hit in performance. About 10-18 FPS drop.

So in some stadiums, especially with snow weather, cutscenes drop to 48 FPS. Too bad it looked so great. Especially the sharpening filter. You know, DSR removes aliasing , but it makes everything blurry. Lowering DSR smoothness does help, but it brings back aliasing. But keeping DSR to 33% while forcing 70% sharpness with Freestyle made everything alias free while being clear.

Anyway, thanks again.

Really? That's bad mate. Haven't had anything quite like what you're describing (setting FIFA to DX11).
In fact, now I could never go back to playing this FIFA (with its horrendous color palette) without this.

Really? That's bad mate. Haven't had anything quite like what you're describing (setting FIFA to DX11).
In fact, now I could never go back to playing this FIFA (with its horrendous color palette) without this.

My 980 Ti isn't strong enough for locked 60 FPS with FreeStyle.

Anyway, FiFA 18's color pallet was fine enough for me. But sharpness 60-75% and hdr to 30% made the game look better. Maybe I'll use it in future if I get a new Pc that can handle locked 60 FPS.

By the way, setting the freestyle flag to 0x0000004 worked for some other games aswell. So this tutorial actually works for other games too.

Back
Top Bottom