Top 10 TV Shows

Just finished The Shield Season 1, really really good, I've enjoyed it far more than The Wire. The characters for me are superb, most notably the main man Michael Chiklis.

FD

I still have 5 or 6 seasons of The Shield to watch.
I started season 1, but stopped after two or 3 episodes...i had other things to do and this is not a series that is very easy to adapt to.

NCIS
The Big Bang Theory
How I Met Your Mother
2 Broke Girls
South Park (ofc lol)

Quarter of the way into season 3 of The Shield (just watched the episode with Acivedes and his little spunky junkie encounter shall we say). Absolute awesome, 10x better than The Wire so far, defo up there near top spot in my favs.

Absolutely loving it.

FD

Last edited:
Yep mate, I think it was your good self that recommended The Shield, I was a little dubious, certainly enjoyed The Wire, although not even close to The Sopranos as my fav tv, but The Shield is stepping way up to the mark, probably it'll nab a place in my top 3 unless it totally falls apart along with The Sopranos and Deadwood.

FD

It won't, if anything it keeps raising the bar :)

Haven't started The Wire yet, but plan to once I've caught up with Dexter, Breaking Bad & Sons of Anarchy...

Cool.

Yeah I did think I remember seeing Michael Chiklis and Glenn Close on the net on some sort of ad for it.

I'm glued to it at the moment, watching 2 - 3 episodes nearly every night.

FD

Still running:

Breaking Bad
Game of Thrones
The Walking Dead
Supernatural
Dexter
Sherlock
The Mentalist
Grimm
Touch
How I met your mother
Futurama
The Simpsons
Two and a half men
Warehouse 13

Finished or cancelled:

Chuck
Dead like me
Harpers Island
The Sopranos
King of Queens
The Fades
Pushing Daisies
Reaper
Scrubs [except last season ;) ]

Last edited:
For me:

1. Buffy.
2. The Wire.
3. The Shadow Line.
4. Nowhere man.
5. Twin Peaks.
6. Battlestar Galactica.
7. Kung Fu.
8. Veronica Mars.
9. Quantum Leap.
10. X-Files.

Homeland will be up there as well for me if it stays as good as it has been so far.

Still need to watch Breaking Bad, The Shield, Boardwalk Empire and an older one, Homicide.

Last edited:
Homeland will be up there as well for me if it stays as good as it has been so far.

Still need to watch Breaking Bad, The Shield, Boardwalk Empire and an older one, Homicide.

In my opinion, the best thing I've ever seen in my life, bar nothing.

Ive borrowed it to a friend and he is raving about it.

Can't see how it can beat The Wire or Sopranos though but even if its close it will be great :)

I have literally given it to everyone I know, and everyone is completely and utterly hooked. It's costing me a bloody fortune in blank discs... :CONFUSE:

Last edited:
The Wire was really good, but for me The Shield is far better.

FD

Don't agree. I stopped watching the Shield after 5 episodes, but i will retry it. I couldn't relate very well with the main character. Something was wrong...

In the Wire i had not much sympathy for (the obvious) main character Mc Nulty, but i could relate with him somehow (and afterwards it turned out that he wasn't necessay the main character).

But i willrewatch it ceretainly, it can't be bad if i read al lthe reactions of both critics and viewers. Maybe it's something personal...

The Wire was really good, but for me The Shield is far better.

FD
but there not really comparable. The shield is like a soap opera with guns and killing, completely fake with out any realism at all. It is certainly entertaining. The wire is incredibly realistic and looks at humans as they are in real life. Even people who do bad things might not be bad people.

I've seen a few episodes of The Shield and I have to say I'd agree it can't be compared to The Wire.

If it was a soap opera it would be on in the middle of the day and watched by housewives....

If it were a soap opera it wouldn't have won best drama emmy's and golden globes.

The Wire is so different to any other TV show I've watched - yes, it's a police drama and there's plenty of those to go around, but it's so much more than that.

Nothing that happened in the show really comes to mind as being purposefully dramatic or farfetched.
It felt real, the characters actions and reactions were always understandable on some level - human nature getting the best of people on either side of the law, people doing what they must to survive, make a living, do what they think is right etc.

It's interesting how bureaucracy, chain of command and politics all get in the way of what the entire city would ultimately desire - justice. It's actually a scary thought sometimes how society, authority figures and law enforcement are so incompetent in many regards.

Watching the current mainstream shows now is very difficult after The Wire, where you have "bad guys of the week", obvious filler episodes with only the odd moments where the plot actually moves on. The Wire moved at it's own meaningful pace, never forcing things forward artificially.

I'm currently on the final season of The Sopranos now, another superb series. I can absolutely see why The Wire and Sopranos have been regarded as the best of the bunch when it comes to TV, they are head and shoulders above anything else I've seen :).

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom