Tomb Raider

Nah, Tomb Raid is awesome. Great combat, fantastic graphics and atmosphere, great story. It's not meant to be an exploration game, it's a fixed action game that is restricted to emphasise the narrative.

Not every game has to be a sprawling open world to be good.
Sorry, but that is completely false - IT IS meant to be an exploration game, IT'S FUCKING TOMB RAIDER!!!

As for the second part of your statement, the fact that you think the developers have to restrict the game to be able to emphasise the story/plot is ridiculous (at least to me). Perhaps one of the reasons why we get such rubbish AAA game titles nowadays...

P.S. No disrespect to you, that was just one really bad post (imo) that I had to respond to, nothing personal. :)

Sorry, but that is completely false - IT IS meant to be an exploration game, IT'S FUCKING TOMB RAIDER!!!

As for the second part of your statement, the fact that you think the developers have to restrict the game to be able to emphasise the story/plot is ridiculous (at least to me). Perhaps one of the reasons why we get such rubbish AAA game titles nowadays...

P.S. No disrespect to you, that was just one really bad post (imo) that I had to respond to, nothing personal. :)

It's not false at all. Past Tomb Raider games were meant to be more about exploration. This one isn't, it's intended to fall under the realm of action and combat more than exploration, so he's right.

And his comment about restricting the game to emphasise story isn't ridiculous at all. It's always more difficult to emphasise story in an open world game where the player chooses when and how much to bother with the story. I think that's a rather well accepted fact of modern game design.

This isn't all to say that Tomb Raider doesn't break from its past, for better or worse, but I think most would agree that it does a good to great job at what it seeks to be.

Fair enough. But some counter points:

- The OLD Tomb Raider games were exploration based. This new version isn't. That's just a fact. The old versions are very different to the new version.

- I never said developers need to restrict exploration to develop plot, but some games do play in a limited way so as to force time triggered events. Tomb Raider does it, The Last of Us does it, Uncharted does it.

No offense taken, but there I so much negativity that I wonder why some people around here bother playing games at all.

well i played this game for an hour till i realised this is a third person COD, nothing more....in other hands another "Tomb Raider game"; just started Uncharted aswell but not as a Tomb Raider game but a story based adventure-action game like Last of Us, i trust Naughty Dog, gameplay not really for me(at least its like a combined effort of Syphon Filter and Crash B. wich both i liked back in the days) but my trust is in the characters, story

in a nutshell not a good thing to make and sell old titles in a completely changed way, see how the faith of Mortal Kombat went for the last years and see what did to the sells the new-old Mortal?! developers, publishers shouldnt fuck up old titles, i know i know...they have to sell to the kids but still...release it with a different title at least...not rape the an old serie just because, they can develope the games otherways im sure

Last edited:
I just finished the game and I have to say that I enjoyed it. I didn't necessarily like the combat aspect (maybe because I was playing on the default difficulty setting?), but the solving the puzzles and searching for every single item was what kept me coming back for more. I thought the story was pretty good, but I think I would have appreciated her character development not being so pronounced. I enjoy games that make you take responsibility for your actions and in that regard, I felt that Lara maybe was too desensitized to violence by the game's end; that her transition needed to be more subtle. Her journals are meant to help us understand what she is going through and develop her story, but overall I was a little underwhelmed. All of the reviews I read prior to purchasing the game were very positive regarding the storyline (which, again, I liked), but it's not the same class of story as the Portal or Half-Life games. A solid 80-85.

Yeah I bet solving those "puzzles" were a real challenge. Seriously though, how can you enjoy those pathetic attempts at puzzles?

Gamers today embrace any shit thrown their way if the pixels are nice enough...

Yeah I bet solving those "puzzles" were a real challenge. Seriously though, how can you enjoy those pathetic attempts at puzzles?

Woah, woah, woah! Please sir, come down from your gaming pedestal and please enlighten us mere mortals. I said I enjoyed the puzzles, not that they were particularly challenging. I enjoy games in which I have to collect things and my goal with games like Tomb Raider is to get a 100 percent completion percentage -- that's probably why I enjoyed those particular aspects of the game.

Gamers today embrace any shit thrown their way if the pixels are nice enough...

With that being said, please do not put words in my mouth and don't be so quick to generalize what my gaming tastes are.

I didn't put words in your mouth, the words were clearly mine.

1. The game wants you to gather resources to upgrade your gear
Why, when the game is already so piss easy that there's barely any challenge?

Answer: Pointless pastime

2. The game give you opportunity to gather "collectibles"
What's the point, there's barely any story connected to any of them?

Answer: Pointless pastime

Tomb Raider is one of those games that involves many elements but none of those elements are done particularly well. It becomes a mediocre soup of pastime rather than the masterpiece it pretends to be. If you continue to praise mediocrity rather than pointing out the issues you won't ever get improved goods on the market. That being said, Tomb Raider is far from the worst example today, which would be Thief 2014.

Last edited:
I just finished the game and I have to say that I enjoyed it. I didn't necessarily like the combat aspect (maybe because I was playing on the default difficulty setting?), but the solving the puzzles and searching for every single item was what kept me coming back for more. I thought the story was pretty good, but I think I would have appreciated her character development not being so pronounced. I enjoy games that make you take responsibility for your actions and in that regard, I felt that Lara maybe was too desensitized to violence by the game's end; that her transition needed to be more subtle. Her journals are meant to help us understand what she is going through and develop her story, but overall I was a little underwhelmed. All of the reviews I read prior to purchasing the game were very positive regarding the storyline (which, again, I liked), but it's not the same class of story as the Portal or Half-Life games. A solid 80-85.

This is interesting because I think the game is shallow and it may well be that it doesn't feel like the player doesn't feel like they have a role in the game. The game is really just about the character, Lara Croft doing her thing and the player is, though in control of her, merely along for the ride (along for the spectacle if you will). We're never invited to feel at harm or in danger, we only witness Lara - an external character - being this way. It really does resemble a movie in a lot of ways.

This is the real difference between a game like Tomb Raider and other Third-Person games like The Last of Us or Spec Ops, which do lead with a reason to care about your actions, or the actions of characters. To me, that's intelligent game-design and Tomb Raider doesn't excel in this area.

The high review scores were because the game is very fun to play I would imagine. Yeah it's not in the same class as many other highly-regarded games but it's enjoyable if overrated. I feel the same way about the Uncharted games to be honest.

Also, I don't think Tomb Raider was ever about 'exploration'. It was a combination of Myth, Legends, Puzzles, Puzzle-Platforming and Combat. The reboot only really has combat, which is a shame because I very much enjoyed the historical themes of the older games (they weren't educational but they did inspire me to care about their settings).

Last edited:
Also, I don't think Tomb Raider was ever about 'exploration'. It was a combination of Myth, Legends, Puzzles, Puzzle-Platforming and Combat. The reboot only really has combat, which is a shame because I very much enjoyed the historical themes of the older games (they weren't educational but they did inspire me to care about their settings).

The reboot tries to combine several elements but all of them, except combat, is so poor that it only serves one purpose which is as a time sink to cover the fact that the game is quite short. The combat element isn't particularly well made either bu the way, ironically since that's obviously their main focus. You're also being railroaded from A to Z and it's glued together with cut scenes and way too many pointless action sequences where you have to push a button corresponding to the blinking icon on the screen. It's an interactive movie and not a particularly good one. It's a game catering to people with short attention span. I rounded the game and I didn't hate it but I was flabbergasted time and again by its shear stupidity. I enjoyed the graphics though, Lara was more sexy than ever even with blood and dirt added to the mix.

Last edited:
No, but do think I will get it once it's reduced in price, still got a fair few games to get out the way.

Really enjoyed the first one.

FD

I really enjoyed the first game, and will buy this probably in a couple of months time when it is cheaper.

As I spend my spare time just playing Football Manager and DayZ (which I am still waiting for the server files for).

Playing it on PC, like it a lot now I reached the open world and I'm hunting and stuff to survive, low bow and arrow in games!

Playing it on the PC too and that's exactly where I am in the game. Hunting etc. It's absolutely a beautiful game!:)

Anyone who wants to but this now - It is currently £9 on the Windows 10 India Store.

Within Windows 10, change your region to India
Open the Windows 10 store
Type Rise of the Tombraider in the search box
Open the game
Click Buy
Then when it asks for payment details
Enter your normal address and select any State and put 000000 as the Postcode - this will then allow you to complete the purchase.
Change your region back to UK

I just bought the game this way and switched back to UK, restarted my PC and is now downloading.

I'm glad you could translate my typo I meant "love" of course!

Wish I'd bought it from the MS store though!

If the new Dying Light expansion shows up let me know!

Finished the story at 95%, overall I'd give it 7/10, would be higher but that last section was the absolute worst kind of lazy assed garbage game design. Final boss battle was terrible as well, guy steals Lara's bow and suddenly she's lost all of her weapons, but it's ok she still has her axe, pathetic.

How did you manage to buy it from Steam Argentina?
Do you have to use a VPN on the Steam Webpage and buy it?
Do Steam not ban you for using a VPN? As I thought they did.

At that price it would be stupid not to buy, as works out to be about £13.50

I have a backup account which used to be set to India to gift my main account cheap Indian games which I'd done a few times over the years, it had about 20EUR left in the wallet so I changed it to Argentina and then bought the game, yes I was using a VPN, same as I used to use a VPN for the India purchases. My intention was to gift it to my main account but it won't do that because of the regional difference (in the past it seemed to not be an issue), so I just left it where it was and I'll play it on that backup account.

I know it's a risk of banning but there's only this one game on there currently so no huge loss if the worst happens ;)

Back
Top Bottom