Tomb Raider

Scorpio

Proud member since 2002
2 November 2002
Belgium
Sporting Lokeren
Strange that there isn't a thread about this game yet (unless I've missed it completely).

It's getting good reviews, can't wait to get my hands on Lara Croft again (see what I did there?) after many nostalgic years on the last gen consoles.

Metacritic score for the PS3 stands at 88%, Xbox360 at 86% http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-3/tomb-raider

I would suggest not viewing to many reviews because of the spoilers. Really loved the next one though, :)
http://teamcoco.com/video/clueless-gamer-conan-obrien-reviews-tomb-raider

tomb raider is my one of best games.

tomb raider 2013(though i don't know the official title yet) will be released on early March this year.

Read eurogamers review, it read like a 5 or 6 out of 10 and then got the typical 8/10 that they give to just about everything.
It seemed that all reviews that day where 8 or better out of 10.

Then the next day I see machinina give it 6 and then rev3games give it 3/5.

Seems odd. Like they had an embargo on anything lower than 8 couldn't be published until after the high scores had.

CVG: 9.0 - Violent, scary, ambitious, inventive: a lack of tombs and unconvincing characters can't mar a blockbuster return to form for Tomb Raider.

GamesRadar: 4.5 - Even if you've never been a huge fan of Lara Croft's fortune-hunting adventures, Tomb Raider is sure to impress. Its expert sense of pacing, captivating setting, and dark tone create a truly memorable experience that's further enhanced by an immense level of detail. Lara croft, the old Lara Croft, is dead. In place of a dolled-up gunslinger is a do-what-it-takes survivor--and we hope she hasn't had her fill of adventuring just yet.

Eurogamer: 8/10 - Beneath the noise there is an engaging story clamouring to be heard, and there are moments of true beauty, serenity and pathos fighting for attention. The game does get better as it goes on, and despite the distractions the last few hours are a pleasure to play. At the centre of it all is a brilliant character, still iconic but more human and believable than she's ever been before.

IGN: 9.1 - Tomb Raider is well-written, sympathetic, exciting, beautiful and just incredibly well-made. The single-player rarely makes a mis-step, and though Lara's quick transformation into a hardened killer seems at odds with the narrative at first, the game quickly moves past it. It is a superb action game that brings a new emotional dimension to one of gaming's most enduring icons, and repositions her alongside Nathan Drake at the top of gaming's action-hero heirachy.

OXM UK: 8 - Tomb Raider is an excellent game that, while paying tribute to Lara Croft's heritage, certainly feels like a new beginning - mechanically as well as thematically. It's visually dazzling, narratively affecting, dangerously near best-in-class when it comes to solid shooting, vertiginous platforming and ballsy set plays... and bodes fantastically for any future instalments. If, however, you're a long-time Raider who yearned for this reboot to push your grey matter to its logical limits with switches, inscrutable puzzles and sprawling cave networks... well, you might just want to dig out that dusty copy of Anniversary instead.

GameSpot: 8.5 - The single-player campaign here is the main attraction, and it is excellent. It doesn't try to rewrite the book on third-person action adventure games. But with its excellent controls, engaging heroine, thrilling combat, and fascinating setting, it doesn't need to. Lara may be covering some previously charted territory here, but Tomb Raider is so well-crafted, you won't mind at all.

Kotaku: Yes - The truth here is that this game is a finely crafted reboot, one that ensures that Lara Croft herself won't become a relic of the past. It's gloomier, yes, and laden with a thick sheen of meta-awareness. This new origin story throws more trouble at its heroine than ever before. But the changes folded into this Tomb Raider add a turbulent urgency that the old adventures lacked. We're left with a Lara Croft that we know better. She can handle what's coming, especially when it looks like she can't

Destructoid: 8.5 - Tomb Raider could so easily have gone wrong, and its opening gambit looks like it's heading down a most erroneous path. It starts off with some ambushing QTEs and absolutely pummels Lara Croft into the dirt to such a degree, you'd almost suspect the developers were getting off on it. This first impression is an awkward obfuscation, however, one that soon erodes to reveal a savvy, thoughtful, and above all, immensely enjoyable game. In fact, I'm happy to go on record as saying this is the best Tomb Raider game I've played. Tightly produced, competent in both its puzzling and its combat, this is one reboot that manages to be unequivocally superior to its predecessors. Lara Croft has at last scaled the mountain of relevance once again, and the view's pretty good from up there.

Shacknews: No Score - In the end, I enjoyed the Tomb Raider ride, but in a B-grade thriller sort of way. A lot of that has to do with the new direction it takes, which skews towards a much different and action-oriented balance of gameplay than its predecessors, and a script that can't quite bear the weight of the story's serious tone. There are a lot of exciting, cinematic moments and action to experience within, even though they come at the expense of the spirit of exploration and environmental puzzling the IP was originally built upon.

Official PlayStation Magazine: 8 - Even the tombs can't match up to the brilliant catacomb-climbing sections from Assassin's Creed 2. These bars have been set high for any game to reach, no doubt, but Tomb Raider is not far from breathing that same rarefied air. PlayStation's first lady is back in style, even if the crown no longer fits as once it did.

The Telegraph: 5/5 - Tomb Raider sits comfortably as one of this generation's best action games. It fixes the flaws of past games in the series, without straying too far from its roots to be alienating. Lara's never been represented better, and sits comfortably alongside a cast of nuanced, intelligently-written characters. The environmental traversal is varied, involved and non-linear, and the combat mechanics are fantastic. It's unquestionably the zenith of the series, and since this marks a new beginning for the franchise, that's a very exciting prospect indeed.

Polygon: 9 - It's easy to point out the many ways that Tomb Raider borrows bits and pieces from other popular games of the last five years, but Crystal Dynamics has blended these disparate strengths into something remarkable. It's cinematic yet open, intense yet laid-back, fresh yet polished. It's a near-perfect embodiment of the age of the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 with a hint of what to expect next.

Penny Arcade Report: No score - The missteps are small and few, and the triumphs are many and large. Tomb Raider re-introduces us to the character of Lara Croft, explains how she came to be the hero we know from earlier games, and then sets her on her way to more adventures. The game's final line, and the tiny hint at a possible sequel if you know where to look, do a great job at capping off a fulfilling adventure. I walked away from the game as the credits rolled like one walks away from a grand meal: Feeling satisfied and refreshed.

Digital Spy: 5/5 - While it's a little too early to gauge the success of the Tomb Raider multiplayer experience, the single-player campaign alone is well worth the price of admission. With a well written cast of characters, mightily impressive production techniques, sumptuous visuals, tight platforming and surprisingly enjoyable combat, Tomb Raider is most definitely a release to be treasured.

Read eurogamers review, it read like a 5 or 6 out of 10 and then got the typical 8/10 that they give to just about everything.
It seemed that all reviews that day where 8 or better out of 10.

Then the next day I see machinina give it 6 and then rev3games give it 3/5.

Seems odd. Like they had an embargo on anything lower than 8 couldn't be published until after the high scores had.

3/5 mean high?

CVG: 9.0 - Violent, scary, ambitious, inventive: a lack of tombs and unconvincing characters can't mar a blockbuster return to form for Tomb Raider.

GamesRadar: 4.5 - Even if you've never been a huge fan of Lara Croft's fortune-hunting adventures, Tomb Raider is sure to impress. Its expert sense of pacing, captivating setting, and dark tone create a truly memorable experience that's further enhanced by an immense level of detail. Lara croft, the old Lara Croft, is dead. In place of a dolled-up gunslinger is a do-what-it-takes survivor--and we hope she hasn't had her fill of adventuring just yet.

Eurogamer: 8/10 - Beneath the noise there is an engaging story clamouring to be heard, and there are moments of true beauty, serenity and pathos fighting for attention. The game does get better as it goes on, and despite the distractions the last few hours are a pleasure to play. At the centre of it all is a brilliant character, still iconic but more human and believable than she's ever been before.

IGN: 9.1 - Tomb Raider is well-written, sympathetic, exciting, beautiful and just incredibly well-made. The single-player rarely makes a mis-step, and though Lara's quick transformation into a hardened killer seems at odds with the narrative at first, the game quickly moves past it. It is a superb action game that brings a new emotional dimension to one of gaming's most enduring icons, and repositions her alongside Nathan Drake at the top of gaming's action-hero heirachy.

OXM UK: 8 - Tomb Raider is an excellent game that, while paying tribute to Lara Croft's heritage, certainly feels like a new beginning - mechanically as well as thematically. It's visually dazzling, narratively affecting, dangerously near best-in-class when it comes to solid shooting, vertiginous platforming and ballsy set plays... and bodes fantastically for any future instalments. If, however, you're a long-time Raider who yearned for this reboot to push your grey matter to its logical limits with switches, inscrutable puzzles and sprawling cave networks... well, you might just want to dig out that dusty copy of Anniversary instead.

GameSpot: 8.5 - The single-player campaign here is the main attraction, and it is excellent. It doesn't try to rewrite the book on third-person action adventure games. But with its excellent controls, engaging heroine, thrilling combat, and fascinating setting, it doesn't need to. Lara may be covering some previously charted territory here, but Tomb Raider is so well-crafted, you won't mind at all.

Kotaku: Yes - The truth here is that this game is a finely crafted reboot, one that ensures that Lara Croft herself won't become a relic of the past. It's gloomier, yes, and laden with a thick sheen of meta-awareness. This new origin story throws more trouble at its heroine than ever before. But the changes folded into this Tomb Raider add a turbulent urgency that the old adventures lacked. We're left with a Lara Croft that we know better. She can handle what's coming, especially when it looks like she can't

Destructoid: 8.5 - Tomb Raider could so easily have gone wrong, and its opening gambit looks like it's heading down a most erroneous path. It starts off with some ambushing QTEs and absolutely pummels Lara Croft into the dirt to such a degree, you'd almost suspect the developers were getting off on it. This first impression is an awkward obfuscation, however, one that soon erodes to reveal a savvy, thoughtful, and above all, immensely enjoyable game. In fact, I'm happy to go on record as saying this is the best Tomb Raider game I've played. Tightly produced, competent in both its puzzling and its combat, this is one reboot that manages to be unequivocally superior to its predecessors. Lara Croft has at last scaled the mountain of relevance once again, and the view's pretty good from up there.

Shacknews: No Score - In the end, I enjoyed the Tomb Raider ride, but in a B-grade thriller sort of way. A lot of that has to do with the new direction it takes, which skews towards a much different and action-oriented balance of gameplay than its predecessors, and a script that can't quite bear the weight of the story's serious tone. There are a lot of exciting, cinematic moments and action to experience within, even though they come at the expense of the spirit of exploration and environmental puzzling the IP was originally built upon.

Official PlayStation Magazine: 8 - Even the tombs can't match up to the brilliant catacomb-climbing sections from Assassin's Creed 2. These bars have been set high for any game to reach, no doubt, but Tomb Raider is not far from breathing that same rarefied air. PlayStation's first lady is back in style, even if the crown no longer fits as once it did.

The Telegraph: 5/5 - Tomb Raider sits comfortably as one of this generation's best action games. It fixes the flaws of past games in the series, without straying too far from its roots to be alienating. Lara's never been represented better, and sits comfortably alongside a cast of nuanced, intelligently-written characters. The environmental traversal is varied, involved and non-linear, and the combat mechanics are fantastic. It's unquestionably the zenith of the series, and since this marks a new beginning for the franchise, that's a very exciting prospect indeed.

Polygon: 9 - It's easy to point out the many ways that Tomb Raider borrows bits and pieces from other popular games of the last five years, but Crystal Dynamics has blended these disparate strengths into something remarkable. It's cinematic yet open, intense yet laid-back, fresh yet polished. It's a near-perfect embodiment of the age of the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 with a hint of what to expect next.

Penny Arcade Report: No score - The missteps are small and few, and the triumphs are many and large. Tomb Raider re-introduces us to the character of Lara Croft, explains how she came to be the hero we know from earlier games, and then sets her on her way to more adventures. The game's final line, and the tiny hint at a possible sequel if you know where to look, do a great job at capping off a fulfilling adventure. I walked away from the game as the credits rolled like one walks away from a grand meal: Feeling satisfied and refreshed.

Digital Spy: 5/5 - While it's a little too early to gauge the success of the Tomb Raider multiplayer experience, the single-player campaign alone is well worth the price of admission. With a well written cast of characters, mightily impressive production techniques, sumptuous visuals, tight platforming and surprisingly enjoyable combat, Tomb Raider is most definitely a release to be treasured.

i'll buy this game.

I can arguably call myself a long time die-hard Tomb Raider fan and I really have to say that this game doesn't look like a TR title very much...

The two things that get on my nerves are that the whole level design and the whole feel of the game just doesn't strike me as TOMB RAIDER... OK, it's an island but heck, if it's gonna be an island make it wild, make it mysterious, the hell make it in the old-fashioned way - tombs, cliffs, slopes, waterfalls, lakes, underwater passages... What I see at this moment is a highly urbanised island, it is basically covered in small buildings or huts... It looks too much like Uncharted, as the guy above stated, the charm of the Tomb Raider series is far from this... I just hope my first impression about it is very wrong, because I've been eagerly waiting for that game for more than 4 years now.

The second aspect which I really resent is this new "make camp - travel here - travel there - upgrade this - upgrade that" sort of bollocks they've introduced. God, why are we getting sodding RPG elements in a classic, typical action-adventure game??? That's just wrong, I don't wanna play Skyrim, this isn't Tomb Raider as we know it, it just takes away from its charm as I said. Why the fuck did they introduce the ability to go back to previous levels as you're progressing... Tomb Raider, as it was, would suck the player into the current level, have him keep track of the main objective but still explore the shit out of it and spent hours looking for secret goodies or just getting to know the place and enjoying the scenery.

Phew, got a few things off my head, of course there are good sides to it but I prefer waiting to play it, just because I don't want my expectations not to be met. Oh well, I just hope this game offers much more than what has been shown until now, and please, please, please Crystal Dynamics, make sure the game has the Tomb Raider feel! :(

i was disappointed when i saw hitman absolution trailer.
because i couldn't find Hitman feel there.

but at last i could feel Hitman after i played it myself.
at least for me, it turned out to be rather better than old fashioned.

apart from the former experience of mine,
it is enough reason worth buying this game
that lara croft in this version is the most beautiful ever than other previous versions.

405x-1

Last edited:
Classic series. I liked how Crystal Dynamics blew some life into it when they took over from Core and it was getting a bit stagnant, although the new direction could be hit/miss if it strays too far from the serie's roots.

I live a few blocks away from Lara Croft Way. Core Design, Derby Represent! ;)

i watched a couple of video reviews. not very impressed, i could spot zillions of rip offs from uncharted, the camp fire reminds me of rdr, upgrades reminds me of cod, characters seems from the usual stereotypes.

i'll give it a miss after all.

If it's anything like Uncharted then that sounds great to me, will definitely pick this up eventually.

I haven't enjoyed Tomb Raider games since the original playstation anyway (excluding the Lara Croft and the Guardian Light game, which I enjoyed)

Last edited:
I would say: better having good rip offs than bad innovations... ;)

Ilike the look of the game - it's not so polished like old first Tomb Raider games. Regarding the reviews - the "clueless gamer" one is great.
I think I will watch more of these... :D

If it's anything like Uncharted then that sounds great to me, will definitely pick this up eventually.

You have to remember that Uncharted took elements from tomb raider so.

But i think it look's great, one of my more anticipated game's this year, don't understand the reason for multiplayer in fairness but the core story interests me alot more than any other tomb raider.

Most importantly, what's the cheat code for nude Lara?

UP, DOWN, LEFT, RIGHT, DOWN, UP, RIGHT, RIGHT, RIGHT, LEFT, R1, R1, R2, R2, L2, L1, DOWN, UP, LEFT THEN PRESS START AND SELECT TOGETHER ON THE MENU SCREEN.

But I am pretty sure as well there will be a MOD for that.

UP, DOWN, LEFT, RIGHT, DOWN, UP, RIGHT, RIGHT, RIGHT, LEFT, R1, R1, R2, R2, L2, L1, DOWN, UP, LEFT THEN PRESS START AND SELECT TOGETHER ON THE MENU SCREEN.

But I am pretty sure as well there will be a MOD for that.

Well here's hoping. I'd prefer it was just pressing START.

I got this game on Saturday afternoon and have been very impressed with it so far. I've only played it for a few short hours over the weekend for various reasons but I really like it.

I was never much of a fan of Tomb Raider in the past but the latest installment is a lot more realistic and adult themed. It's more like a survival horror than a classic Tomb Raider game.

Need a few quiet hours to get stuck into it but from what I've played so far I would definitely recommend this game to anyone. Just dont be expecting it to be anything like any of the previous Tomb Raider games and DONT buy it for your kids! It's an 18 cert for a reason!

Rip offs really seem to be your favourite topic... :D ;)

indeed! :PIRATE:

The new AC4 trailer reminds me of trasure island! i guess there is little new, most ideas are cut and pasted from old classics.

i played this game just now.

the main menu table is 3d and floating.
we can tilt it up & down, and rotate it right & left.

the graphic quality is much better than that of farcry3 though all options are set to normal.

i felt tomb raider's root enough though i finished just first tutorial mission.

the one thing i hate is that we can't still rotate the view when in a corner.

Last edited:
Enjoying this so far, though I've only played 45mins so far.

It feels like a mix of Uncharted and The Witcher 2, which is great because I love both of those.

It feels like a mix of Uncharted and The Witcher 2, which is great because I love both of those.
That's what I was fearing most, why does it have to be similar to other games when it should have its own appeal... :(

That's what I was fearing most, why does it have to be similar to other games when it should have its own appeal... :(

It does have it's own appeal, it just takes elements from other games too, there aren't many games who aren't influenced in one way or another by something else.

Anyway as said before Uncharted itself was surely influenced by Tomb Raider and Indiana Jones.

As long as it brings something new to the table as well, then I've no problem with this at all.

Yeah, point taken. But what about the mind-boggling puzzles that used to be one of the main assets of this game (see TR Anniversary and TR Chronicles). I have read several impressions and it seems as if the game is like "just play through the whole game for a day". In the past, if I didn't bother with walkthroughs (which I tried to avoid most of the times), it would take me more than 2-3 play sessions to pass through a certain level.

But hey, I haven't tried this for myself just yet, will get my hands on it sometime soon and we'll see! :SMUG:

Last edited:
thanks to eidos.
this game has korean subtitle too.

i had vented my grievance in eidos forum ; why no korean subtitle in hitman absolution.

maybe they granted my hope this time.

unless we use headset instead of speaker while playing this game,
our mother or wife could think as if we are watching a porn.

don't forget it.

Back
Top Bottom