Tom Clancy's The Division [PC/PS4/XB1]

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by Scutch, 11 June 2013.

1. StuartCulli

StuartCulli College Dropout

25 July 2006
    Newcastle United
    Who'll be getting this on PC?

2. Chris Davies

Chris Davies Chief PESsimist Staff

14 May 2003
    Tranmere Rovers
    After launch, Ubi say.

3. Placebo

Placebo Ԁlɐɔǝqo

3 May 2003
    La Manga Del Mar Menor, Spain.
    Sheffield Wednesday
    Strange comment from them:

Basically they're saying "people will say bad shit about the game but that's the old version, it's much better now"...

4. gabe.paul.logan

gabe.paul.logan Data Collection

7 January 2007
    Budapest
    Hungary
    well i cant say any bad thing about the Beta (PC)

5. Placebo

Placebo Ԁlɐɔǝqo

3 May 2003
    Sheffield Wednesday
  6. Chris Davies

14 May 2003
    Tranmere Rovers
    "This promotion has expired." :(

7. Placebo

Placebo Ԁlɐɔǝqo

3 May 2003
    Sheffield Wednesday
    Was for US only I'm afraid.

8. Topaz

Topaz Programmer/TheAwesomeGem

21 October 2011
    United States
    Chelsea, Spain
    Thanks for that!

9. Placebo

Placebo Ԁlɐɔǝqo

3 May 2003
    Sheffield Wednesday
    lol They were playing on a British server.

10. sauce

sauce Warriors

20 September 2005
    Chatbox, Brazil
    Cruzeiro
    Game is pretty fucking awesome so far, specially playing co-op.

Let's see how long this is going to last, Destiny didn't have a good first impression like this game, The Division starts actually tough right from the start, I'm loving it.

11. Jimi_Zuko

Jimi_Zuko Jimi Zuko

20 January 2003
    Melbourne
    liverpool
    is there any variation in missions or is it a grind fest.

12. Scorpio

Scorpio Proud member since 2002

2 November 2002
    Belgium
    Sporting Lokeren
    So in love with this game! Absolutely brilliant. ☺

13. Chris Davies

14 May 2003
    Tranmere Rovers
    I think if you think it will be, then it will be (that sounds like an ancient proverb or something, but genuinely, if you're susceptible to feeling the grind early in a game, you'll feel it in this).

There's variation but in a "rigid" way. For example, there's the usual missions - go here, kill all the bad guys, press a switch - but then there's side-missions that involve you finding all of the objects in a multi-storey building within 5-6 minutes. But they don't deviate from that structure - e.g. "find all the objects, something goes wrong, report it to the base, then go on a trek to the other end of the map to speak to someone who doesn't have radio communication". Those types of side-missions are always going to be "find all the objects in 5-6 minutes".

But that doesn't bother me. For me, the way the RPG elements are implemented (and how they've designed the quest for the best loot) is so good. It's not Tom-Clancy-realistic, because they're focusing on the RPG mechanics (i.e. enemies have set HP values and a shot to the head doesn't always equal their entire HP). But it's a lot of fun (and if you get yourself a "marksman's rifle" and focus on boosting your weapons abilities, you can one-shot-kill people, which I find immensely satisfying). The personalisation of your character is pretty good, in my experience so far.

Coming from Fallout 4, I'm disappointed that there isn't more exploring and that there isn't as much to find - but then Fallout 4's focus on packing small spaces with stupid amounts of stuff to find and side-missions is special in itself.

As a single-player game, I like it - as a co-op game, I love it - and if I get to a high-enough level to really succeed in the dark zone, I think I'll be crazy about it.

Last edited: 10 March 2016
  14. Placebo

Placebo Ԁlɐɔǝqo

3 May 2003
    Sheffield Wednesday
    Part of me really wants to try it but I think it'll be something I really hate in 5 minutes or really love, unfortunately there's no cheap way to try it out :(

I watched IGN's first 15 minutes video and I thought it was great, then I watched someone's personal twitch and the screen was full of silly icons and enemies were glowing through walls and he was being told "there are 5 bad guys in this room" and all that crap and I found it really off putting.

I realise the bullet physics aren't realistic but could I at least disable all the silly hud/icon elements?

15. Chris Davies

14 May 2003
    Tranmere Rovers
    You're an ARMA man, you'll hate it - it's not about realism (I'm still surprised it's got the Tom Clancy label, the story is pretty good but the gameplay is 100% RPG)!

Just imagine Fallout without the exploring, and the super mutants as people who somehow need shooting 15 times before they die (and with a story that has a decent premise but is full of cliché "you're my hero" moments).

Do you have a PS4? You could always have a go via that "game share" function, or I could stream some gameplay for you tonight if that'd help?

I'll have a look tonight - there is an "auto-hide" option, which I really like. All that does though is turn off the HUD when you're roaming, and turn it back on when enemies appear.

There's a "grenade cooking" icon that appears above an enemies' head when they're about to throw a grenade - like a countdown timer - and if you can shoot them before they throw it, they'll drop it and grenade themselves.

You'd hate that (because of the HUD pop-up), but I love it, because it's a mini-game in itself!

16. Placebo

Placebo Ԁlɐɔǝqo

3 May 2003
    Sheffield Wednesday
    Thanks for the reply Chris :)

I do but would play this on PC, thanks for the offer anyways :)

One thought I had is if I can find a cheap enough key (ie not much more than £20-£25) I'll create a new Uplay account with a spare Email address and if I hate the game I can sell the game and account together to someone :)

17. sauce

sauce Warriors

20 September 2005
    Chatbox, Brazil
    Cruzeiro
    Chris described it better than I could, but a small detail he didn't mention which makes all the difference in my opinion.

Enemies don't have a standard behavior, they will rush, they will camp, they will flank and probably do more stuff, I only played a little bit, but this surprised me a lot in a very good way.

And so far I feel like it does not even depend of your own strategy, which is amazing, surely the AI reacts when they feel like you are weak, camping or something. But I played a mission, which I started with the same strategy 3 times, and I got 3 different play outs of the enemies. I was always jumping on a container and the first time they rushed right, the second they stay mostly behind cover and the third time a guy flanked me and jumped on my container without me even noticing it.

That's more variation than Destiny, but then again I've only played a small sample, lets see how long it takes for me to find it boring.

Now on another note, something else really bothers me in these types of game, on day-1 I found co-op amazing, but on day-2 with the same friend from before, but he played way more hours than me so he have better everything.

So now whenever we play, if its his mission I won't even scratch the enemies and if its my mission he will absolutely smash everybody and I won't do anything.

This is so frustrating, not to mention the guy knows everything he has to do on the missions already, I think that kills the co-op appeal pretty quickly.

18. Placebo

Placebo Ԁlɐɔǝqo

3 May 2003
    Sheffield Wednesday
    Well all I can say is it's fortunate my impulsive lack of self control doesn't extend to drink/drugs/gambling!

Bought "Tom Clancy’s The Division™ Gold Edition" for £21 from an Indian online store http://www.reapershop.com :)

19. Chris Davies

14 May 2003
    Tranmere Rovers
    Yeah, that's something I found a little disappointing, but I half-expected it, so I'm playing it exclusively in co-op with one person to do the missions, and only teaming up with others to do the Dark Zone, I think (maybe some side-missions).

Really hope you like it!

20. Placebo

Placebo Ԁlɐɔǝqo

3 May 2003
    Sheffield Wednesday
    Well for the price I paid it's not a huge deal if not!

21. Placebo

Placebo Ԁlɐɔǝqo

3 May 2003
    Sheffield Wednesday
    Played 1h 23m so far and enjoyed it a lot!

22. bsmaff

bsmaff International

11 August 2003
    Welwyn Garden
    Exeter City
    Just bought the game myself now and will give it a go later tonight.

23. gabe.paul.logan

gabe.paul.logan Data Collection

7 January 2007
    Budapest
    Hungary
    guys any major glitches? any kind?

24. Chris Davies

14 May 2003
    Tranmere Rovers
    I've not seen any yet.

The Eurogamer preview mentions a glitch where they've had their weapons disappear and become inaccessible:

Source: EuroGamer

But I've not had anything like that happen to me, thankfully.

25. god84

god84 League 1

22 August 2007
    Myriad Island
    Liverpool, Roma and BvB
    This is such a fun game.

Im really enjoying it. Its getting me excited for the next Ghost recon too now.

26. sauce

sauce Warriors

20 September 2005
    Chatbox, Brazil
    Cruzeiro
    I'm trying to convince this friend to hold up his game a bit.

I have not entered the DZ yet, I think I wanna be more experienced in the game, there are a lot of things I still don't understand, like the map.

I'm often getting freezing enemies, but it looks like its a connection thing.

27. Placebo

Placebo Ԁlɐɔǝqo

3 May 2003
    Sheffield Wednesday
    Does anyone know if it shows anywhere what region server you're on? My game is Indian Steam but I'm using a VPN with split tunnelling so even though Steam gets India Uplay/The Division gets my natural IP so should in theory place me in Sweden or EU or whatever so wondered if there was any way to know for sure?

28. Scorpio

Scorpio Proud member since 2002

2 November 2002
    Belgium
    Sporting Lokeren
    Btw you can turn every hud detail off. ;)

29. Placebo

Placebo Ԁlɐɔǝqo

3 May 2003
    Sheffield Wednesday
    Not sure you can turn everything off? I can't find how to turn off the "press square for HUD" reminder, I bloody know it's square I didn't forget from the 3 seconds ago when I pressed square to see it!

And I can't find where to turn off the hit detection :(

I do love that the hud elements you want to keep can be moved anywhere you want and resized, mini map in the bottom left is lest distracting for me :)

30. Jimi_Zuko

Jimi_Zuko Jimi Zuko

20 January 2003
    Melbourne
    liverpool
    thanks for the reply fellas, might have to give it a go.