Tiger Woods 2008 (360)

My console is making some really funny scratching noises when I try to play this now. It works but it spins right down at some points, so much so that the 360 is actually silent (how's that for a bonus)...

I keep panicking and ejecting the disc but it's not actually scratching it. It just makes these horrible scratchy noises...

And now I'm up to nearly the last Tiger Challenge (thank GOD), but it crashes the console after two holes (OH NOOO).

It's the one everyone's reporting on the EA forums, where you play "Brockway" at Carnoustie. They say clearing the cache should fix it, but it doesn't. Tried it twice.

One question: How in the name of God do EA get away with this? Microsoft is supposed to have a certification program for everything, are they not? Or is it just for online content?

Absolutely disgraceful either way - if they patch this and you don't have an internet connection, you're pretty fucked. A few guys have this problem and they don't even have a hard drive, so the clear cache method won't work, the remove hard drive method won't work, and they can't even download a patch.

EDIT: Tried clearing the cache for the third time (fifth time of trying overall) and then it worked. Or at least, so I thought. I won the game 5-0, but on the last hole, it said we were tied and the game had to go to a playoff. :| So I thought, I'll play along. I win the playoff hole and... Then there's another playoff hole. Jesus Christ.

EDIT 2: Nearly an hour later, it worked and I'm through.

Last edited:
One question: How in the name of God do EA get away with this? Microsoft is supposed to have a certification program for everything, are they not? Or is it just for online content?

Because they're EA? If EA Pulled their support for a console it would whither and crumble in a short space of time ;)

And yes a game has to pass a number of stages of certification with Microsoft, at least Flashpoint Elite did and I'm sure it'll be the same for our ArmA2 :)

I really don't like the game, I'm afraid.

For a start, I'm hitting 350-yard drives nearly every hole now. I know when you max-out your stats you're going to be good, but what am I supposed to do now when I want a realistic game of golf? Purposefully under-hit every drive? If you play Be A Pro in FIFA, will you be scoring ten goals a game when you up your stats? I don't think so. Otherwise you're blowing realism out of the window. They need to limit how far you can go, otherwise where will we be in a few years? 600-yard drives?

Secondly, I've seen the ball, twice in my last round, drop half into the hole and then come out. The gravity, on Earth at least, is more serious than that. If half the ball drops into the hole, then it won't climb out again (not at the rate it does in this game at least - I wouldn't mind but the "putt preview" shows the ball going into the hole, then you hit it exactly as it's set up and it spins around the hole and goes off for a wander).

Thirdly, there's lots, and lots of glitches. Not just the Tiger Challenge ones that crash your console, but commentary bugs (if you hit a drive over a certain distance they seem to think you've hardly hit it, and will sometimes say "that is a very short tee-shot", only to follow that by "what an excellent tee-shot"), shot-selection bugs (every round my caddy will tell me to pitch to the green using a PW at some point, which will finish 20 yards short of the green - fire the dickhead), putt-length bugs (I've just dropped two shots in a round because, on a 2ft putt, the game chose to give me a 10ft putter, and even at 10% the ball powers through the hole - for God's sake, the game is rendering the fact that I'm 2ft away from the hole, how thick must it be if it doesn't then give me the shortest-distance putter?!)...

Also, lots of things are in ridiculous places. The Pro Shop is under Game Face, for God's sake (?!), and when you compete in a "Daily Tournament" you have to exit the mode (and the calendar) entirely, go to Online, then Stats, then Leaderboards, then press LT, then press up. Just to see the leaderboard. You should be able to just press X on the tournament you want to play and see the leaderboard, not go hunting for it. The design is just shocking in places.

I also hate the fact that the Daily Tournament winners finish on -21. But that's something else entirely (I'd rather be grouped with a percentage of users, so that you've got one or two freakishly good players, rather than see thirty people playing rounds of -21, it's ridiculous).

And I've already explained my hatred for the putting system. The "feature" where you can add/subtract 3ft to the putt from last year might as well not be there, because you can't use it and get an accurate putt. I really liked the way it was before, as did most people I know with the game. Wasn't too easy, wasn't too hard. Yes, you can adapt to the new system, but I had to read a guide to putting off the web because before that I was powering 10ft past each hole; how many people are going to be arsed looking for a guide? Or know where to find it? If I didn't have the net I would have just got a refund. Plus, if you do adapt to it, it gets ridiculously easy. On normal difficulty (and most of the time on the harder difficulty) I was nailing 60ft putts while Tiger was missing by a yard or two.

I only play sports games for realism, and (with 350-yard drives and 60ft putts regular occurances) it seems totally unrealistic to me. More so than last year as well.

Lots of these problems are new issues too, it worries me with EA (and Konami thinking about it) that they seem to happily fuck features up just because they have to add something new. I'm really disappointed, I keep thinking "I'm just in the mood for a game of golf" but after five minutes I'm thinking, this isn't golf.

Last edited:
So its not worth getting, stick to 07? Cause the demo seemed pretty much the same as 07 besides the power bar was easier to fill, you know the ball and make it go red and glow etc.

The graphics havent seemed to be improved either.

A lot of people are saying it's the better game but in my honest opinion... Well, I've already given it :mryellow:

I will just stay away from it then, didnt think it was worth it, give it a couple more years before it changes in a great way I guess, seems like it will be worth waiting for most of the games nowadays.

Links 2003 on the PC, and Links 2004 on Xbox (360 compatible), are far, far superior golf games in my opinion. Just a shame that A) I've completed Links 2003 and B) it's very rare to find someone online in either game (they are four or five years old after all).

It seems to be that tiger woods games have been playing it safe for awhile now. almost afraid to innovate past what people know. the swing mechanic via the thumbstick is no longer the revelation it was in the beginning. Sure it was one of the first games to implement a control feature like this but it's aged poorly for tiger woods. I see this also happening with the NHL games however for this year and next it will probably be as sublime as it ever was when tiger first implemented it.

From a gameplay standpoint tiger 08 plays it safe yet tries to raise it's difficulty for us longtime players by adding a variable to the thumbstick in a way that makes it hit or miss/randomly off.
the control has now come to the point of now having bad error rate to make it seem "fresh" again.

I have very big "visual" problem with tiger 08 personally.

1)Cloth movement. there should be this little nuance added. It is probably THEE sport that i see the most cloth movement in as most players wear very baggy slacks and shirts...Why this hasn't been added yet after 3 years is beyond me as I see NBA Live/NHL 08/ and fifa doing it.

2)Framerate. say what you want but I've played it in 1080i and then to 720p with no differences. It clearly stutters during the motion and finally contact of your swing and makes it look sorely robotic.

3)Proper lighting and dynamic at that. NCAA 08 is GORGEOUS in this regard and is arguably the best lighting model i have ever seen in a sports game period. why IF they are "both" EASports titles is it not across the board as some of the "new" gameplay modes every EA game seems to have that corelate with each others releases...?

Updated, and of course I still can't connect to the fucking EA servers! Can't even read the online news, it's pathetic, weird thing is if I deliberately put in the wrong password for my Email address it connects to the server to tell me my password is wrong, then as soon as I put in the right one it instantly says "sorry the EA servers are not available, please try again later" :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

Back
Top Bottom