Tiger Woods 2008 (360)

So some people are getting their own pics uploaded? I get stuck at either uploading or downloading :(

I must confess the huge amount of bugs, quirks and glitches in this release has me worried for Fifa08, apparently Madden08 was also full of bugs, quirks and glitches from what I've read online? :(

THIS ONE FOR JACK BAUER>>>>>>>>>>>>>

i myself loved tiger 07, and loved the putting, i hated the putting on 08, was close to returning for refund, until one post in a forum changed all that. i will now pass on the wisdom, although if we ever meet online, you have to go back to putting like stevie wonder, lol.

ok firstly, i'll assume you have it not on tour mode, so you see the putting line.

i'll give you my routine, as well as an example.

firstly, place the little marker just past the hole, but so that it is still touching it, and get it right in the middle.

next find out the green speed using the back button.

next line up your put accordingly using the beads on the green, NOT THE PUTTING LINE. as well as adding or subtracting dependent on uphill, downhill. if green speed is fast or very fast, leave a bit off, if its slow add a bit on, if its average i always leave a little bit of as well, just so as not to go right past the hole, although some say if its not up its not in, each to their own.

NOW use the putt preview, the benefit of this is massive, i was always just pressing it straight away, but if you line everything up first, then use it, it can tell you if your putt is gonna go in, and if its not, then if your not to bad at lining up, then you should only have to make a minor adjustment, after you put the putt line off. I.E. if it shows your missing it on the left, and the line is going past the hole a bit, then after you put the putt line off, move right a touch and take some speed of it accordingly.

LASTLY, this is the vital part, and where all the zooming past the hole comes from, in tiger 07, you could have a 20 footer, 3 inches uphill, so youd select 20 feet, then put your right stick up full to add the 3, and it would be spot on to the inch almost. not now.........

dont ever ever do it using this method, always go by the percentage, and try and swing that percentage accordingly, i.e if it says 57%, then swing just ever so slightly over halfway, i seriously have been nailing 50 footers with the above. once you get the hang of it, and get used to it, you actually find its too easy, and you are shocked when you miss putts, even if there 40 footers.

the percentage thing is hard at first, take a few practice swings, and you can kinda gauge where that percentage is, and also as soon as you putt, it will tell you down the bottom what percentage you have just swung, so as to know next time, and to really develop a feel for what is what percentage.

lastly, being a bit out isnt too drastic, i.e if it says hit 71 and you only hit 63% (as its sometimes hard to judge) chances are it will still just make it, i find its only if your maybe 12% above they maybe sometimes dont drop.

hope this helps m8, just practice the above, and persevere. it'll come. as i said, i almost took the game back, although i should have due to the glitches freezes and bugs. but its that good you just cant. patch is due anyway.

happy swinging!

the percentage thing is hard at first, take a few practice swings, and you can kinda gauge where that percentage is, and also as soon as you putt, it will tell you down the bottom what percentage you have just swung, so as to know next time, and to really develop a feel for what is what percentage.
Thanks for your post mate, I'll definitely give that a try. I find getting the percentages right very hard though, I've already been trying that for some approach shots. Sorry to ask a stupid question, but how do you do a practice swing?

As for the game-face stuff... Trying to upload now, it says "Upload complete. Please wait while the server processes your image." - it's been stuck on that for half an hour. Tried exiting and going back in, but then there's a "broken" image (i.e. a broken link) and when you try to upload again, it gets stuck on the same bit.

Last edited:
the whole game face site is weird.

my brother got in first time, and had his face in in seconds, that was yesterday, i tried allday, having provlems with eas crappy persona rubbish, then finally realised i had registered months ago with my old email adress, logged in straight away, uploaded in seconds, and had my face in the game 30 mins later, i had previously used the vision cam, and my face was purpleish, looked like i'd just went 12 with tyson. the digital camera route is excellent, the face and head are exactly the same shade, and it is eerily realistic looking.

from what i read and my own experiences, its just perseverance. try try and try some more, and eventually it works.

dont worry about finding the percentages hard, as i said they dont have to be spot on, you have maybe a 8% margin either side i reckon, and when i say practice swing, i only mean the putting, i mean you can stand their for aages just pulling the club back bit by bit, and roughly gauging where you need to swing to, i.e if you pull right back, thats 100% but pull just to his back foot is 50%, that sorta thing.

once you get the hang of it, you'll never look back, just dont ever use the triggers to select power then go hitting 100%, this is what is mucked up, and alot of people have said so, they say its completely wrecked, and the only way to accurately get the power right is to try and swing using the percentages.

as for the gameface site, i think picture size has summit to do with it, as well as file size, i know people were having trouble uploading big files, my two pics wer only just over 200kb. and they oploaded in literally seconds.

Keep trying it, I know this sounds sad but I kept trying it hundreds and hundreds of times yesterday and last night at the eleventh hour it finally worked! the results were astounding as I say. I have been playing the game as myself and loving it! however it can get quite difficult to keep your swing straight. I always seem to hook it off to the right, Need to hone in my Left Analog swing technique somewhat.

It pisses me off that putt preview can't be turned off as it could in 07, I know it's a game and all but I don't want to use putt preview and I don't like having the dumb icon at the top left of the screen all the time, IMO putt preview is cheap, fair dues to anyone who chooses to use it, that's their preference of course......

Placebo I ignore it and tend to judge my putts for myself. Similar to real golf.

I managed to get my face in the game yesterday, was very impressed with it, lets hope you can do this for be a pro in fifa, that would be cool as feck importing yourself into your favourite team, nearest I'll get to partnering Barry Ferguson in the Gers midfield!

You should be able to import pics to use on footballers with default faces, even if it's limited to say 15 it would still mean you can give 15 of your favourite players their real faces, especially for fans of lower league teams like Jack and me :)

Mr_Wenger, how do you perform the swing if you want the power to be lessened? Do you do the entire swing more slowly, more quickly or do you only move it half the way back or something?

exactly mate, if it says 50%, then you would only pull back 50%, and not the whole way.

when driving, or approaching, you have to do it in 1 fluid motion, but with putting its a whole different story, it will even let you pull all the way back to 100%, then ever so slowly inch forward till you feel you have the percentage bang on, and then when you do, fling that anologue stick forward, and voila!

it takes practice, just keep an eye on bottom right, it tells you after every putt what % you have just hit, and soon you'll get to know exactly where to swing for various %ages.

Mr_Wenger, how do you perform the swing if you want the power to be lessened? Do you do the entire swing more slowly, more quickly or do you only move it half the way back or something?

Surely it is no different to normal golf? If I want to hit a 7 iron 130 yards I use a 3/4 length swing. It is the same as in Tiger. You don't have the same feel but it is essentially the same.

Surely it is no different to normal golf? If I want to hit a 7 iron 130 yards I use a 3/4 length swing. It is the same as in Tiger. You don't have the same feel but it is essentially the same.
In real golf, I swing slowly backwards, then quickly forwards. On TW07/08 (for drives and long irons at least), I flick the stick fully back, wait two seconds, then flick it fully forward. Not gradual, instant - not like real golf. That's why I was asking.

You should swing forwards as soon as you reach the maximum back swing, because that's how you get the power into the forward swing, both in life and TW I assume :)

In real golf, I swing slowly backwards, then quickly forwards. On TW07/08 (for drives and long irons at least), I flick the stick fully back, wait two seconds, then flick it fully forward. Not gradual, instant - not like real golf. That's why I was asking.

Well thats why your shots are shite then :)

The speed of your overall swing action also affects the power you put into the ball in real life. I am not sure if this is accurately reflected in Tiger 08 but to be honest the game is good fun so im not too bothered.

Managed to get on the game-face site this morning - if you want to get on it, get on it before noon, otherwise it's a waste of time. The results are brilliant though, I still don't look right but it's got my 60-year-old dad absolutely perfect.

I'm still having a bitch of a time with it though. Mr_Wenger, your tips are great and I'm actually getting some putts in now, but A) you shouldn't have to resort to pissing about for a minute when last year it was perfectly natural, and B) I'm still 10ft-15ft out a lot of the time. Last year I didn't find putting too easy or too hard, this year it's driving me absolutely mental. No putt is a gimme because of what they've done to it - I hope there's a patch but I doubt there will be, they've made it like this for a reason. God knows what.

I spent nearly two hours trying to complete one Tiger Challenge last night, mostly because of the putting.

Just woke up and jumped to EAsportsworld, got a new message this time.......

So I'm thinking great, after more than a week they finally fixed the problem and I can upload our faces, click "Close", click "sign in" and lo and behold.......

The problem's more fucking annoying now because before I can try signing in I have to close the fucking popup window that tells me they fixed the problem!

I think the putting this year is far better than last years. I hated the putting last year, the number of puts that would stop on the edge of the cup aarrrgh!! Anyone I used the tip re aiming your put before the put preview and oh my god my game has improved ten fold. My best score was a 4 over round, now in my next 2 rounds ive had a four under and 2 under, though triple bogeyd the last or it would have been 5 under. Brilliant game and cant wait to get my stats up and play a few of you online!

Can I ask a question to you guys who've played both 07 and 08? I'm not a real life golfer, and 07 on 360 was the first and only Tiger game I owned. I was enjoying it until my 360 died and I was fed up repairing it so I moved to ps3. My question is, should I go for 08 or just get 07 as it'll be cheaper in comparison and it may be enough to satisfy my passing interest in the game? Or does the new stuff on 08 make it worth having instead, even though I'm still new to the Woods games? Hearing the rest of you talking about glitches etc, I was thinking 07 may be best for me? Any help appreciated!

I would go for 07, unless you want to see your face in the game (which is really funny - personally I would buy 08 just for that, I'm that sad, but if you're not bothered then 07 is in my opinion the better game, especially seeing as you're not too bothered about golf anyway).

Presumably the glitches will be fixed to some degree with updates? Graphically I think it's a massive improvement, I like how Tiger Challenge mode has been extended (despite Jack's complaints!), season career mode I haven't touched but I believe there's supposed to be extra stuff in there, and of course there are extra courses over 07, having played both I'd say 08 is better despite some early annoyances :)

Spoke too soon, pics are uploaded and edited, when I go into tiger and try to add them to my character when I log in it says "EA sports servers are not available" :(

Thanks for your comments guys, I only barely scratched the surface of 07 on 360 before I got the red lights so it'd still feel new if I got it on ps3 and if I find myself playing it all the time I guess I could trade it in and get 08 anyway?

I'm not so tight that I can't afford 08(!) but with the glitches you mention and the less responsive putting, I wonder if 07 would be my logical choice. I found 07 did a very good version of me with the editor anyway...oh, and I understand 07 is exactly the same on 360 and ps3? Same modes etc?

Why on Earth do you have to upload your photo to an EA Sports server just to have it in the game? A survey to see how ugly the people that play their games are?

Placebo, the same thing happened to me, when i finally after days of trying got in and got my face on the site, i then went to the xbox and the ea servers were unavailable. three hours later when they came back, it was 2 am, i started generating, then fell asleep on the couch, i woke at 8am, rubbed my eyes and nearly shit myself, there was me on the tv.

the results were that good, that my three year old son came to me, and said daddy, your on the xbox.

its scarily good, me and my brother have both done it, and its so good its unbelievable.

to the guy whos not sure bout 07 or 08, 08 is so much better theres not even a debate, graphically the new courses look excellent, and there so different to the ones that exist now. gameplay is excellent, simply because its like real golf, there is always that fear you may just hit a crap shot and throw the round away!

Back
Top Bottom