Thief

Placebo

Ԁlɐɔǝqo
3 May 2003
Orrefors, Sweden.
Sheffield Wednesday
Anyone been following this and have positive vibes? Got a 30% off voucher from GMG who're already doing 10% off so can get it on Steam for £18.90 tempted but undecided! First two games were brilliant, intelligent, genre defining games, this one looks to be a bit derpified (although they removed the quicktime stuff at least).

YouTube - THIEF (2014) First Look and Details! Adam Sessler talks to Eidos Montreal's Lead Level Designer
YouTube - Thief - Gameplay Trailer

YouTube - Thief - Stories from the City Part 1: Basso's Gamble
YouTube - Thief - Stories from The City - Part 2 - "The Queen of Beggars Sees All"

ThiefBanner.jpg

1389886168-3.jpg_backup
1389886168-6.jpg_backup

1389886172-2.jpg_backup

1389886175-1.jpg_backup

I never played any previous thief games and i am kind of dubious how well a stelth first person might work... Anyone knows if there will be a demo? Although i believe that most demos are shit since they have zero depth and is very difficult to judge a game by its demo.

Game looks good but the lack of a third person view is a deal breaker for me. Really do not like the first person view in games.

I remember playing the first two also, they were really good, but not sure if I can be bothered with re-makes.

FD

The first two Thief games are both among my favourite games ever, the third was also very good. After seeing the gameplay demo of this version I have ZERO interest in continuing my love affair with the series, it looks like it has little to nothing about it which drew me in to the others, I was massively disappointed. I also very much disliked what they did with Deus Ex, another of my all time favourite games.

Hopefully they don't butcher it like what happened to Hitman not so long ago... I'm also not a big fan of the Deus Ex or Tomb Raider reboots, for me they moved too far away from their roots.

Last edited by a moderator:
Eurogamer have a new preview up, it confirms my initial impressions of the early footage.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-01-24-how-thief-has-changed-for-better-and-for-worse

"Making my way into a foundry, through what looked like the game's first major location, I wasn't presented with a large building that might offer multiple routes of entry depending on the tools I used, but instead I found myself first navigating through a distinct entrance area, before then moving through different parts of the interior, one after another, in a manner that felt much more guided and, at times, even dictated.

For example, at one point a climb up an outside wall had the camera switch to a third-person view, with the route I needed to take subtly highlighted in blue. It was almost impossible to fall and when I tried avoiding the window entry to which this route lead, instead trying a short drop to the ground to see if I could scuttle up a nearby alleyway, the game immediately told me I was dead. I didn't even get to see how this might have happened."

This is not in any way a "Thief" game. Gaming these days is very much style over substance, damn money ruins everything.

Actually I'd say in the last video it's looking really good:

YouTube - Thief 101 | Everything you need to know about Thief on PS4

And apparently there's lots of stuff you can tweak in terms of difficulty and onscreen icons etc. etc.

YouTube - Thief on PS4: Customisation options menu explored, hardcore settings revealed

Haven't watched that one yet but definitely happier with my £19.80 purchase from GMG after seeing the first video! Max difficulty and minimal assists/on screen icons will make it feel a lot more like the originals IMO.

Yea, shame. Watched some gameplay footage and while it looked nice something wasn't right with the gameplay... I don't know, for starters, even the original games were in the first-person perspective, I would like to have been able to play this game using a third-person perspective.

Polygon – 6/10
Destructoid - 7.5/10
Eurogamer – 6/10
gamesTM – 6/10
GameInformer – 8/10
OXM – 7/10
Digital Spy – 4/5
Gamespot – 6/10
OPM – 7/10
Rock, Paper, Shotgun – No Score
CVG – 8/10
Joystiq – 4/5
GameTrailers – 7.5/10
Xbox Achievements – 75/100
Kotaku – No
Softpedia – 8.5/10
ArabicGamers – 65/100
PlayStation Universe – 7.5/10
Edge – 7/10
Lazygamer – 6.9/10
GameStar – 8.9/10

3/5 from the Sess on Rev3Games.

Looks like a fun game with elements of stealth that look a bunch of fun. Gonna give this a go.

They paid to make the reviews twice as good as deserved and it turned out average.

The game is quite pathetic to say the least. The story is shite.. no worse. The whole city is littered with paint splashes and scratch marks to advertise designated climbing spots and jumps. The legendary rope arrows has been diminished to obvious tools for advertised "special" wooden spots and doesn't require two seconds of thought. The guards are stupid and the game is easy even without any handholding, so what remains after turning off all possible help options in the settings? The game is still easy and your hands are still fairly tightly held. It baffles me that some designer thought it was a good idea to have the player bashing one button to open a fucking window... and if you choose to go back out the same window the process must be repeated.

The graphics is good and some cutscenes made me laugh. It was fun in a masochistic way, one could't quite forget how incredibly stupid the game was but it's the last Thief game so it had to be played. The worst in the series by far... It's also worth noting that when you're not in sneak mode, your head (camera) is attached where your bellybutton would normally be. When in sneak mode you're even lower...

PS. I also struggled with finding the right FOV setting in this game. Too little and the world becomes flat, too much and you get motion sickness. I normally never struggle with this...

PPS. I forgot to add that I actually recommend the game as it's not really bad entertainment. It's just a whole lot of wasted potential, it could've easily been so much better if developers weren't so damn caught up in catering for the slowest and dumbest of human beings with a potential wallet.

EDIT:
There is no reason why this graphics should require so much power on a PC. I suspect a conspiracy to sell more GFX cards. Dishonored use the exact same engine and its graphics are arguably better but didn't need much hardware at all. It may also be that they've been lazy and saved all textures in DTX5 or higher when in fact only a few of the textures require such a compression level to be at its best.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom