1. We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about your use of our site with our social media, advertising and analytics partners. Learn More.

The Witness [PC/PS4]

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by bsmaff, 27 January 2016.

1. bsmaff

bsmaff Champions League

11 August 2003
    Welwyn Garden
    Exeter City
    Been getting some very good review scores as well as a perfect 10 from IGN.
    Have not played the game but tempted to buy it soon.

The Witness is a 3D puzzle video game created by Jonathan Blow, developed and published by Thekla, Inc. The Witness was released for Microsoft Windows and PlayStation 4, with the iOS version scheduled for a later date.

Inspired by Myst, The Witness has the player explore an open world island filled with a number of natural and man-made structures. The player progresses by solving puzzles which are based on interactions with mazes presented on panels around the island. The rules and outcomes of solving the individual mazes are part of the puzzles that the player will have to come to learn themselves through both visual clues around the island and through audio logs that the player can find. Blow aimed to include as little instruction as possible, wanting to have players come to understand the rules of these puzzles for themselves and coming to moments of realization while exploring the island. The final game has about 650 total puzzles to be solved, though the player is not required to solve them all to finish the game.

2. bsmaff

bsmaff Champions League

11 August 2003
    Welwyn Garden
    Exeter City
  3. vondave

vondave Stretford End

9 August 2005
    This was never on my radar but like the sound of it. Am away with work til tomorrow then will buy it.

4. Chris Davies

Chris Davies At least, I think I am Staff

14 May 2003
    Tranmere Rovers
    Sounds very interesting.

Anything vaguely indie with high review scores I'm very wary of, after buying "Her Story" and finding it to be the most boring load of shite I'd ever bought, but if anyone plays this, leave a review here please!

5. CW

CW C Dub Founding Member

6 October 2001
    Liverpool
    I lost interest when I saw it cost £30

6. beachryan

beachryan Golden Boot Winner

4 July 2003
    Bermuda
    Heard puzzle island and my mind swelled with Myst nostalgia, so am downloading it now. If I get a chance to play today will include comments

7. DagsJT

DagsJT Retired Footballer

29 November 2005
    Warrington
    Liverpool
    What's wrong with £30?

8. jaygrim

jaygrim TheAllSeeingEye

26 July 2005
    Everywhere.
    Man Utd
    Is it all maze puzzles or do we get different ones?

9. hitmanuk

hitmanuk Champions League

23 October 2002
    uk
    Not sure it grabs me but maybe on morpheus release as it looks perfect for that if compatible

10. beachryan

4 July 2003
    Bermuda
    This thing is beautiful, but so far the puzzles I've done are all same-y. Stunning design though, walking around is kind of therapeutic.

11. Chris Davies

Chris Davies At least, I think I am Staff

14 May 2003
    Tranmere Rovers
    For maze puzzles?!

I really liked the look of it, but when you see the gameplay, that is literally all it is.

You know what it reminds me of? This new trend of "colouring books for grown-ups".

Very nice to look at, but it's 100% maze puzzles from what I've seen, and read.

It's not for me...

Last edited: 28 January 2016
  12. CW

CW C Dub Founding Member

6 October 2001
    Liverpool
    Just seems a tad overpriced to me for what it is. Each to their own and that but its not a game I will be rushing to buy anytime soon

13. beachryan

4 July 2003
    Bermuda
    I have no idea why, but it's incredibly addicting. It really is just similar puzzles opening new paths, but the environment and visuals make it somehow captivating.

14. Lami

Lami Niche Football Staff

28 May 2007
    Sydney
    Man Utd, Vecchia Signora
    Some people reported this causing them nausea. Anyone experienced that?

15. DagsJT

29 November 2005
    Warrington
    Liverpool
    Probably the same people that get motion sickness playing FPS games, I'd imagine.

16. Lami

Lami Niche Football Staff

28 May 2007
    Sydney
    Man Utd, Vecchia Signora
    Hmm.. There's a post on that on neogaf and that's why I wondered if any shared the same experiences here.

17. drekkard

drekkard International

23 March 2005
    Barcelona
    Barça, Arsenal, Ajax
    Great game, marvellous, smart design and beautiful graphics. One of the best game experiences of the last months for me.

18. beachryan

4 July 2003
    Bermuda
    Just revisiting this thread to recommend it to everyone. First hour or so it feels like it's going to be repetitive but work through that and it's utterly engaging. A unique experience, I've discovered things and felt like calling out to my wife to explain how clever I am. Then realising no one cares.

19. DagsJT

29 November 2005
    Warrington
    Liverpool
    :LOL:

Yep, I've not played The Witness but I know that feeling from other games :)

20. Isslander

Isslander The Modest Legend

3 August 2003
    Iceland
    Liverpool
    I'm intrigued, but fear that my brain lacks power for this type of game. Like Braid, which I gave up on twice.

21. beachryan

4 July 2003
    Bermuda
    Just going to add the game goes on a bit too long, but the ending is totally worth achieving.

Spectacular game, if a bit too long in the end. Loved the environment puzzles, got dead sick of the grid puzzles.

22. vondave

vondave Stretford End

9 August 2005
    This game hurts my head at times

23. drekkard

drekkard International

23 March 2005
    Barcelona
    Barça, Arsenal, Ajax
    I thought the ending was terrible while the game was great. Spectacular art direction and game design.

24. beachryan

4 July 2003
    Bermuda
    Kind of agree. It was...odd. Did you see the 'special' ending? If not, youtube it.