The United States Thread "Road to World Cup 2006"

"Oguchi Onyewu (Standard Liege, Belgium)"

Who's this lad and when did we steal him from Nigeria??? :D

Speaking of American footballers, we're not exactly very American are we? My college team is almost half Mexican, and I'm the only player on my club team whose first language was English, despite the fact I was born in the former USSR. Hopefully this recent influx of Bosnian, Romanian, and Serbian immigration leads to future "American" stars for the national team.

On the subject of Bruce Arena, I must agree that he is a very under-rated coach globally, but that COULD be because of the way he twitches and gets all nervous when things aren't going well. Anyone see him after the Reggae Boyz scored first at the Office in Kingston? He looked like he was on the brink of a nervous breakdown.

But as far as his tactics go, you gotta love Arena. He's transformed Convey into a left-back, allowing the team to have much more total team creativity and offensive capability. My main worry with the national team is the same as it was in 2002: the backbone of the team. We need higher quality central defenders and central midfielders. With Beasley, Donovan, and co. we have the pace and flair to match most teams in the world, but we still don't have a classy ballwinner (Reyna's not as tough as he used to be) or a true rock in the defense (though Bocanegra and Spector could be an amazing partnership in years to come). Honestly, if the US had, for example, Sami Hyypia and Patrick Vieira, I think they could win the World Cup.

jared1975 said:
Hey CS, great thread idea. I've thought for awhile we needed a place the US folks could post their thoughts. I gotta say, saturday's match against El Salvador was a bit sloppy. It seemed like there was more time spent in the first half with injuries and cards being given than actually playing. Maybe I had too many beers in, but I still don't know why their coach got sent off. At the end of the day though, glad we got the win.
the game was very sloppy, shitty tactics by El Salvador. The El salvador player got sent off for wearing jewlery it was his second yellow, the coach of el salavador was incensed, as he should have been. He got red carded. Im glad you got the beers in, i was wasted.

Re: ...

Ports7 said:
"Oguchi Onyewu (Standard Liege, Belgium)"

Who's this lad and when did we steal him from Nigeria??? :D

Speaking of American footballers, we're not exactly very American are we? My college team is almost half Mexican, and I'm the only player on my club team whose first language was English, despite the fact I was born in the former USSR. Hopefully this recent influx of Bosnian, Romanian, and Serbian immigration leads to future "American" stars for the national team.

On the subject of Bruce Arena, I must agree that he is a very under-rated coach globally, but that COULD be because of the way he twitches and gets all nervous when things aren't going well. Anyone see him after the Reggae Boyz scored first at the Office in Kingston? He looked like he was on the brink of a nervous breakdown.

But as far as his tactics go, you gotta love Arena. He's transformed Convey into a left-back, allowing the team to have much more total team creativity and offensive capability. My main worry with the national team is the same as it was in 2002: the backbone of the team. We need higher quality central defenders and central midfielders. With Beasley, Donovan, and co. we have the pace and flair to match most teams in the world, but we still don't have a classy ballwinner (Reyna's not as tough as he used to be) or a true rock in the defense (though Bocanegra and Spector could be an amazing partnership in years to come). Honestly, if the US had, for example, Sami Hyypia and Patrick Vieira, I think they could win the World Cup.
well man, we are american, we are the ultimate definiiton of american, how many american indians do you know? We are all of mixed origin..... We are very american.. Remember we are a melting pot...

Re: ...

csaunders said:
well man, we are american, we are the ultimate definiiton of american, how many american indians do you know? We are all of mixed origin..... We are very american.. Remember we are a melting pot...
Exactly.

Looking forward to this game tonight. Anyone know the starting 11? I see Tim Howard has been released back to Manchester so Keller will get the start, but beyond that I'm curious of the lineup.

jared1975 said:
Looking forward to this game tonight. Anyone know the starting 11? I see Tim Howard has been released back to Manchester so Keller will get the start, but beyond that I'm curious of the lineup.
i saw something like this on espn

--------keller--------------

hedjuk-----pope-----boca-----vanney

----------zavagan----------------

?-----------reyna----------------beasely

--------mcbride----------ching

But i doubt donavan will be left out..........

p.s.
beasley is the shit, i cant wait till he terroizes Aresnals defense in the CL game!!!!

As a Chicagoan I have loved the hell out of Beasley's fire and energy, but hated his finishing and crossing.

I dont wanna get too excited after only a few weeks, but I gotta say that he seemed to play at a different offensive level in the game on Saturday. he seemed more willing to take guys one on one, and drive right thru them.

Bravo, Beas. Bravo. 8)

Damn, the US didn't deserve that point. Panama outclassed them throughout. But then again, I always liked the underdog.

Glavisted said:
Panama 1-1 United States
71' Brown (Pan)
90' Jones (USA)

:l
we played well in the first half, but that second was trash, i dont know if it was the field conditions or what, but i do like some of the panamanian players, they had some skill, i was impressed, they were much more organized then el salvador, and I can see how they beat jamacia. Beasley was no where to be found in the game, landon was ok, reyna was shit, casey had some nice touches in the first half... Well at least we got the point, we should go thru with a win at home vs pananma AT RFK , i GOT CLUB SEATS BOYS!!

csaunders said:
we should go thru with a win at home vs pananma AT RFK , i GOT CLUB SEATS BOYS!!
I hope that, and the victory obviously... :mrgreen: 8)

Dime said:
The referee taking the US's corner in stoppage was pathetic though.

Bingo, especially after some ridiculous stalling tactics, you would think they would punish the fakers.

CSaw's post was right on point though - it was a tale of 2 halves. Our lack of quality finishing is really the bigges problem we have on this team. I love Ching, though, and think he will be a solid threat in any game. Just dont pair him with Casey.

Gotta wonder why Arena chooses to pull off Clint Mathis, when he was clearly our best field player in that game. Made no sense to me. And Cobi did not impress me at all. . .other than the obvious moment. ;)

Does anyone here think that Reyna looks to be lost on the new US team? I love the guy, but it seems like he is more of a square peg in this team with every passing game. :l Hope it changes soon.

ghazi said:
Dime said:
The referee taking the US's corner in stoppage was pathetic though.

Bingo, especially after some ridiculous stalling tactics, you would think they would punish the fakers.

CSaw's post was right on point though - it was a tale of 2 halves. Our lack of quality finishing is really the bigges problem we have on this team. I love Ching, though, and think he will be a solid threat in any game. Just dont pair him with Casey.

Gotta wonder why Arena chooses to pull off Clint Mathis, when he was clearly our best field player in that game. Made no sense to me. And Cobi did not impress me at all. . .other than the obvious moment. ;)

Does anyone here think that Reyna looks to be lost on the new US team? I love the guy, but it seems like he is more of a square peg in this team with every passing game. :l Hope it changes soon.
I think he took mathis out because he is a lazy pig, who refuses to track back, donavan should have been in mathis posiiton, i like mathis, dont get me wrong, but his desire is in question as well as donavan, donavan needs to take his game to europe, i think he could dominate EPL games, given the right situation. he would immediatley be one of the fastest players in the prem, and he would bring all of his skill as well.... Im sick of seing him in MLS....

Ditto about Donovan, Chris. I dont wanna hear him whine about wanting to stay in the MLS and be with his girlfriend. The little bastard needs to go play in the EPL, take his knocks, develop his game and learn to play at the pace and in the league that our nation's most talented will be playing in.

If he is our central attacking figure, then he needs to elevate his game more than any other player.

Beasley is playing in Chamions League in an hour, against ARSENAL and will be going up against, Henry, Viera and Pires. . . . .how the hell can Donovan really say he is satisfied with staying in the MLS??

You have a short window to play in the best leagues against the world's best players. He should take advantage of it, and then he can always come back to the reputable MLS later.

yeah tottally, note to donavan, CHICKS DIG IT WHEN 50,000 PEOPLE ARE SCREAMING FOR YOU AFTER YOU RIP ONE PAST ARSENAL!!! im starting to think he is a huge ass clown, although he would be in portsmouth right now if it wasnt for FIFA

Hey fellas. I didn't bother posting after the Panama game because, well.... what can you really say. The main thing is we got a point out of it. As far as Donovan is concerned, I totally agree he needs to be in Europe. It really just boggles my mind how a young, talented professional would NOT want the opportunity to play in Europe. Every time I see one of those "it's all right here" MLS ads with Donovan, it makes me laugh.

As a counter-point, take a kid like Convey and look at his attitude towards playing across the pond. He was pissed when the paperwork didn't come through on his move to Tottenham. Now, from what I've read in interviews with him, he loves playing for Reading and believes it as already lifted his game. Donovan could learn something from this example.

Sorry for the rant.... It just infuriates me to no end to see a talent like Donovan waste his prime years.

Word, Jared. LD needs to man up. I dont think Gaven, Szetela or any other young talents would waste any time heading overseas when they're his age.

in donvanas defense, he really did dominate germany in WC 2002, and thats comming from MLS, maybe he is so confident that he thinks he can stay here, if he stayed in MLS thru 2006,
and dominated the WC, then well that will say something for MLS....

csaunders said:
in donvanas defense, he really did dominate germany in WC 2002, and thats comming from MLS, maybe he is so confident that he thinks he can stay here, if he stayed in MLS thru 2006,
and dominated the WC, then well that will say something for MLS....

True - the MLS made itself an internationally legitimate league in the last World Cup and everyone was forced to take notice.

And if LD does it again in 06, it will say alot more about MLS. . . but then I'll always wonder how much better LD and the team would have done if he had been playing in Europe instead. :(

USA beat El Salvador two - zero, goals by Mcbride and Johnson, LD DOMINATED THE GAME, HE WAS PURE FUCKING CLASS!!!! We even had to stand the little el salvadorian bastards sign that read, "Yankee go home, bin laden stay here" classless fuck

Game tommorow here at my home stadium RFK. US vs Panama, I will be leaving work at 3:00 going home, and meeting 15 screaming American blokes getting wasted and tailgating, we got box seats so we should have a great time, Looking forward to this like no other event this year.

Estados UNIDOS!
"clap clap"
Estados UNIDOS!
"clap clap"
Estados UNIDOS!
"clap clap"

Last edited:
Really? I heared Keller is starting again. Either way, i am bothered that neither of them has seen much action this season.

CSaw - have fun at the game. I will be in a bar in Chicago, looking over the tv crowd for your Evo Web sign. LOL.

Is the starting 11 announced yet?

ghazi said:
Really? I heared Keller is starting again. Either way, i am bothered that neither of them has seen much action this season.

CSaw - have fun at the game. I will be in a bar in Chicago, looking over the tv crowd for your Evo Web sign. LOL.

Is the starting 11 announced yet?
its all speculative, but thats what the washington post was saying

-------howard---------

hedjuk---pope----boca---cant remember

lewis----zavagin-landon----beasley

mcbride-------wolf

dude thats a great idea, but i will be in the box seats, the cameras are at my level and i doubt they will be able to capiture me and all my good looks! LOL, i wish you could go with us buddy, make sure you follow are chants............

Estados Unidos!
clap clap
Estados Unidos!
clap clap
Estados Unidos!
clap clap

wow what a display by the americans last night

USA 6
Panama 0

Donavan-2 goals
Eddie Johnson-3 goals(4 goals in his first two national team apperances ever, he also led the u-21 WC in goals earning him the golden boot, look for him on a european team soon...)

Great game to watch, nice goals all around, and all i can say is alookout europe cause LD is comming....

I tell you. . i think this teams is more dangerous when Claudio does not play. He pulls the reigns in on the offense too much, and this team has proven that when it plays adventurous, probing footy, they can creat alot of chances.

I love Claudio, but i just dont think he fits this teams new-found style and attitude.

Blinder of a game by Donovan. Please go to Europe, son. I like Bocanegra in his Fulham position at LB and Lewis worked well on the left with some contributiosn. Not sure about Beasley on the right, though. His right foot crosses are something awful. LOL.

Eddie Johnson was the main reason to watch the game and boy did he impress with his 20-minute hat trick.

Overall, the US is in the final pool of 6 teams from which 3 will go to the WC. WOO WOO!!

ps - CSaw - i called your number after the hat trick, but got a Verizon message :shock:

ghazi said:
I tell you. . i think this teams is more dangerous when Claudio does not play. He pulls the reigns in on the offense too much, and this team has proven that when it plays adventurous, probing footy, they can creat alot of chances.

I love Claudio, but i just dont think he fits this teams new-found style and attitude.

Blinder of a game by Donovan. Please go to Europe, son. I like Bocanegra in his Fulham position at LB and Lewis worked well on the left with some contributiosn. Not sure about Beasley on the right, though. His right foot crosses are something awful. LOL.

Eddie Johnson was the main reason to watch the game and boy did he impress with his 20-minute hat trick.

Overall, the US is in the final pool of 6 teams from which 3 will go to the WC. WOO WOO!!

ps - CSaw - i called your number after the hat trick, but got a Verizon message :shock:
hmm, which number, PM me

Holy shit, US finally beat a team ranked over 105th by more than 2 goals!

Good game though.

Back
Top Bottom