The TV Show Thread

Watched season 1 of Westworld. There is a lot to like here, but I have to admit that there was a episode 9 twist that made absolutely no sense to me. I was almost angry with this particular revelation, as when I thought about it I could not make out why it was even put in there, completely pointless.

Why did Ford make Bernard excactly like Arnold? What was the point? Sure, make a Host that programs hosts, I have no problem with that. But to make Bernard, someone that everybody thought was a human, exactly like the co-founder of the park seems like a very dangerous game. Did the corporation which was actively trying to get Ford out not actually bother to background check anything? Should they not have known what this Arnold guy looked like, or one of the hundreds of employees maybe stumble upon a picture of the dude and wonder why he was still walking around looking the same age? Were the showrunners just trying to save some money by not having to hire another actor? Bernard was not the same character as Arnold. They had a similar job and the same face, that was it.

But there is really no wonder that they messed one twist up as there are about 12 of them in the final episodes. Thankfully, the good ones are really good. Like the man with the black hat.

I'll be buying season 2 on Blu-Ray as well, as I have no other way of watching it.

In answer to your "Spoiler" question, it is answered in Season 2.

After some weird mental hangup I finally got balls deep into Breaking Bad. I had watched the first two seasons and liked them, but it wasn't until season 3 where I reached the point of no return. Amazing television, now I o ly have the last season left and am a bit sad about it to be honest!
Saved the two last episodes of BB for ages before watching them,amazing show,really became stunning in season three

Watched the final four episodes of The Americans yesterday, last one in particular had me sobbing, didn't expect to get that emotional, I blame U2 and Friends! Television doesn't get much better than that show, outstanding.

Finished Castlevania 2 last night. It's a slow burn, the change of 4 eps to 8 in the second season maybe stretches it a bit. It really comes together in the penultimate episode though, the final fight is an absolute blast.
I didn't really care for the last episode, the fight was over and it was mostly about side characters. Season 3 will likely go into the two surviving humans resurrecting Dracula.

One of the biggest WHAT THE ACTUAL F*CK moments I have ever seen on TV is in Bodyguard. Do NOT read the spoiler if you haven't seen it

When David Budd shoots himself in the head! I suspected that Julia Montague would be killed off the moment she said she wanted to get serious with him, but when he then shoots himself I was pretty blown away that they killed off two of their main characters. Even if I found it almost impossible that they had, they framed the thing in such a way that a comeback from him seemed impossible (blood spatter, etc).
They will make more of this, no doubt, and it's almost a shame. This works so well as a one off, but there is no way they won't.

Last edited:
Finished House of Cards season 6 last night. A poor ending to be sure, although I didn't like season 5 either. But 6 is weirdly written and all over the place. Some scenes feel more like a stage play than TV.
Character deaths are numerous and therefore lose all shock value.
Only one interesting twist which just gets tossed aside and becomes utterly pointless. A shame, even though the last season was poor it had a good ending, they should have stuck with that as the finale.

One of the biggest WHAT THE ACTUAL F*CK moments I have ever seen on TV is in Bodyguard. Do NOT read the spoiler if you haven't seen it

When David Budd shoots himself in the head! I suspected that Julia Montague would be killed off the moment she said she wanted to get serious with him, but when he then shoots himself I was pretty blown away that they killed off two of their main characters. Even if I found it almost impossible that they had, they framed the thing in such a way that a comeback from him seemed impossible (blood spatter, etc).
They will make more of this, no doubt, and it's almost a shame. This works so well as a one off, but there is no way they won't.

I'm waiting for your update for when you've watched the rest of the series ;)

Yep it was brilliant. We followed it up by binge watching Killing Eve which was also brilliant for different reasons :)

Absolutely loved this. Great dark humour in it as well, brilliantly played by the lead actress. Also a nice surprise to see the old detective, Martin, from The Bridge in it too!

Star Trek Discovery is back with two episodes out. Much more like classic Treks so far. Anson Mount is a great captain Pike. But I do worry about some of the elements of the story being too closely linked to the main characters. That probably sounds a bit odd, so I go into some very light Spoilers
Michael Burnam basically started the Klingon war in the first season, and her having been Spocks adopted sister was sort of a side thing to get his dad Sarek into the action. But this time, the "flashes" that are the current story element of season 2, are something Spock saw in his dreams? Everything major in the universe happening to the same family is seems more like Star Wars than Star trek. [/spoilers]

Strange that nobody writes about episode 5 of the final Game of Thrones season.
For me this is the one that kills the entire series. Having watched the previous seasons seems completely pointless now.
The writers of the two last seasons should be banned from writing.

One example: what did they do with Tyrion? Where are his fantastic dialogues? All gone…

Such a shame.

For me this is the one that kills the entire series. Having watched the previous seasons seems completely pointless now.

One example: what did they do with Tyrion? Where are his fantastic dialogues? All gone…

Such a shame.
I've just started watching Game of Thrones - I'm at the end of series three now, and suddenly my Facebook timeline is awash with A) huge spoilers and B) shouts of "what the fuck have they done".

So now I'm wondering whether I continue with the next ~50 hours or not... Just waiting to see if the last episode enrages people further.

But it seems like a huge fuck-up either way.

I've been enjoying it up to now but it does seem like there are hours dedicated to sex and to chopping off body parts (the latest being a penis) which really don't add any weight to the plot IMO, and have me reaching for the fast forward button... :YAWN:

You should read the books, Chris. They are splendid.
About the series, just continue, it is still worthwhile ( or worthwile).

Such a shame.

Never ever watched it :D
So funny when people take it as given thing that everyone watches it and start telling me their opinion about the latest episode :D and i have NO idea. Only thing i know that its sort of a lord of the rings with nudity.
And for a while im not gonna start to watch it since they are pumping their gaming ad through youtube before EVERY video. This is where i first heard the theme which everybody seem to love, I find it really annoying :D

I've just started watching Game of Thrones - I'm at the end of series three now, and suddenly my Facebook timeline is awash with A) huge spoilers and B) shouts of "what the fuck have they done".

So now I'm wondering whether I continue with the next ~50 hours or not... Just waiting to see if the last episode enrages people further.

But it seems like a huge fuck-up either way.

I've been enjoying it up to now but it does seem like there are hours dedicated to sex and to chopping off body parts (the latest being a penis) which really don't add any weight to the plot IMO, and have me reaching for the fast forward button... :YAWN:

I would continue to watch it, although the show does drop in quality when it starts going away from the books.
The final two seasons have still been enjoyable, just they have become a bit of a rushed mess, with everything happening so quickly. (Where stuff which would take 4/5 episodes in the beginning now take 15 minutes.)
The main writers clearly lack their own talent, when they have no source material available to follow.

That said it is still one of the best shows of all time, even given the drop in quality.
As for everyone moaning at about the ending, it wasn't as bad as everyone says and still a very good watch.
It is just the last two seasons drop it from being the greatest show ever to being in the top 5.

Indeed it wasn't as bad as everyone says, it was much worse.
I will not write spoilers, but the books (and the first seasons) are that good because they are very well written with fantastic dialogues. In the last two seasons gradually the dialogues have become worse and the spectacle has gone up.

If i knew how to use spoilers i would try and prove my point...

Indeed it wasn't as bad as everyone says, it was much worse.
I will not write spoilers, but the books (and the first seasons) are that good because they are very well written with fantastic dialogues. In the last two seasons gradually the dialogues have become worse and the spectacle has gone up.

If i knew how to use spoilers i would try and prove my point...

To type spoilers you just add this but delete the spaces..

[ SPOILER ] This is my spoiler [ /SPOILER ]

This is my spoiler

I enjoyed it, and I was satisfied with the ending, yeah there are holes to pick but it's got a ending and that's probably the more than the books will get.

The show has gave me probably more wtf moments than any other, and no one is going to tell me this last season whilst seeming a bit ragged in parts makes the rest of the show suffer, because it doesnt.

FD

Did you read the books Frank? They are that much better than the series.
The first seasons were great, the dialogues were not as good as the books, but they came close.
The last two (or three) seasons were more about spectacle than about good dialogues (i already mentioned Tyrion), but am glad i watched it.

Also rather satisfied with the end.

No mate, I haven't read them.

I'm not a big book fan, never read the HP books for example but liked the movies, never did LOTR loved the movies and these haven't even been finished as yet, so I'm happy with TV GOT having a finale.

All it takes is that writer to pop his clogs and it ain't finished.

FD

Maybe shoulda went in movies thread but it's really a TV series.

Just settling down with a beer to watch Deadwood The Movie, if I ever wanted some sort of closure on a TV series for me it was this one.

This is the only thing for me that was on a par with The Sopranos.

Here goes..

FD

Watched all 5 episodes of Chernobyl. It completely blew me away (no pun intended).
A brillinat TV Show about science and propaganda in totalitarian societies…

I was 24 years old when Chernobyl happened and to think we were all afraid of the USSR...

Not as good as The Wire, but comes close.

Watched all 5 episodes of Chernobyl. It completely blew me away (no pun intended).
A brillinat TV Show about science and propaganda in totalitarian societies…

I was 24 years old when Chernobyl happened and to think we were all afraid of the USSR...

Not as good as The Wire, but comes close.

Just finished watching it and it is probably one of the best shows of all time.
As far as TV shows go it was pretty accurate to real events, and not too much dramatisation.

It is definitely worth a watch and no excuse not too as only 5 episodes.
IMDB also voted it the greatest show ever made, overtaking Breaking Bad.

For me The Wire is the best ever, but this comes close.
I read a comment by somebody who grew up in the Soviet Union and this person says this series is so accurate in the tinniest details. It is spot on regarding every day life of common people, he claims.

Which show among these four below, you think is more sarcadtic/caustic/edgy/ accurate to its criticism.
Simpsons , Family Guy , American Dad or Bob's burgers?
For some reason i prefer Family Guy and i think it combines better social criticism with its comedy/parody moments.

Which show among these four below, you think is more sarcadtic/caustic/edgy/ accurate to its criticism.
Simpsons , Family Guy , American Dad or Bob's burgers?
For some reason i prefer Family Guy and i think it combines better social criticism with its comedy/parody moments.
Southpark. :LOL:
Havent seen last two.
Simpsons, even tho its very good and funny, just repels me with the way characters look. They annoy me for some reason.
Family Guy was very good and if I was to pick from your list - thats a winner for me.
But Southpark was just amazing. Need to catch up as I stopped watching around season 14..

Anyway - any good series now around?

Most of my series finished up and I have nothing to watch there. Just to describe "my type" a little bit. Great series to me were:

- Banshee (amazing, lads! Few people heard about it, but its a top 5 for me. Great story, action, violence, great characters, boobs (sorry!) and just a right amount of seasons. They finished where they wanted and every season was brilliant!)
- Breaking Bad (didnt like Better Call Saul)
- Deadwood
- Dexter
- Punisher
- Ray Donovan
- Mindhunter
- Game of Thrones (until last two seasons)
- Fargo
- Haunting of a Hill House
- Handmaid's Tale (another gem! It might seem like a series for women, but lads - its more scary than most of the horror movies I've watched. Im finding myself holding my breath on most episodes.. absolutely brilliant!)

I've always liked Simpsons.

Didnt know Chernobyl was only 5 episodes might give it a watch.

Deadwood finished off brilliantly.

FD

Back
Top Bottom