The Scotland Thread

EssDub

F U C K Y O U
8 November 2003
Glasgow
As we are currently trailing Wales by 4-0, I have to wonder where we are going under Vogts. We have now hit rock bottom, I thought that after this amount of time Vogts would have a good idea of his best players, formation, style of play?.

I know that he does not have any great players to pick but some of his descisions in selection and tactically are extremely strange(Murty, Dailly as a midfielder, Steven Caldwell etc).

IMO Vogts has had a long enough run and we have seen very little progression at all.

There are a good few young players in our ranks and I feel someone like Gordon Strachan could get the best out of our players.

I am sure that all fellow Scots will agree that although this was a friendly it is the last straw.

Last edited by a moderator:
Scotland could do with somebody like Robert Earnshaw.

Nah, yes Scotland have some decent youngsters such as Darren Fletcher, James McFadden, Kenny Miller, Stephen Pearson etc. etc, they have potential. I don't think Vogts is the man for Scotland....sack him.

Another of Vogts' experiments goes horribly wrong. When is this guy going to realise he needs to stop experimenting and play regular formation with regular tactics.

We're better than this.

We can beat Holland and scare Germany. If we don't start playing decent soon, we can forget going to Germany in 2006.

foxtrot_yankee said:
Another of Vogts' experiments goes horribly wrong. When is this guy going to realise he needs to stop experimenting and play regular formation with regular tactics.

We're better than this.

We can beat Holland and scare Germany. If we don't start playing decent soon, we can forget going to Germany in 2006.

I`d forget about Germany 2006 now on tonights display, guys. I didn`t see ONE world class player in a Scotland shirt tonight. I rate Fletcher (his Man Utd youth training is showing, he is going to be special) but don`t blame Vogts - Scotland are soooooo drab to watch, I had to blink at times as I thought Rangers were playing. No spark, no flare, no nothing. Me and my flatmate were literally LAUGHING at the way they played. School boy errors all night. Even John Toshack said after the match "Wales were not brilliant tonight. Scotland were terrible."

ninjabreakz said:
I`d forget about Germany 2006 now on tonights display, guys. I didn`t see ONE world class player in a Scotland shirt tonight. I rate Fletcher (his Man Utd youth training is showing, he is going to be special) but don`t blame Vogts - Scotland are soooooo drab to watch, I had to blink at times as I thought Rangers were playing. No spark, no flare, no nothing. Me and my flatmate were literally LAUGHING at the way they played. School boy errors all night. Even John Toshack said after the match "Wales were not brilliant tonight. Scotland were terrible."
Of course we don't have any world class players, it's been a long, long time since we did. Why aren't you blaming Vogts? We're so drab because he's constantly changing his formation and using different players, not to mention using players out of position, he's an arse.

Wales had loads of players out, Hartson, Bellamy, etc, and they took Giggs, Speed and Savage off and they still took the piss at times.

Sack Vogts, he can't even communicate properly in a TV interview how does he expect players to understand him?

I think Fletcher is gona be quality tho, the one scottish player to stand out last night, played some lovely passes and a few decent crosses to.

Ha-ha, some madman has made a Scottish Int. thread. :roll:

Scotland are in a bad way, and we're just going to have to hope that the likes of Fletcher, Gallacher, McFadden and some of the young Celtic, Rangers and Hibs players can turn out to be good players. As for a manager, the last thing Strachan needs is the Scotland job, he'd have a heart-attack in his first game.

Romania next month............oh dear!! :l

FD

p.s. I wouldn't mind Earnshaw coming to Celtic to fill in for Henke (think he'd do a good job) although depending on the price.

Earnshaw's third goal, where Douglas was waving at someone in the stand, was straight out of PES3 :mrgreen: ie it was easily saveable, yet somehow he managed to move his hands out of the ball's flight path.

Rab was a shower of shite last night. We need a better keeper and soon.

By the way, just out of interest, who reading this thread thinks that Scotland should use the new FIFA rule which allows foreigners who have lived in Scotland for 5yrs or more to play for the national team?

Scotland with a bad keeper, surely not!!

I was listening to 5live! the other day and the Scotland correspondent, who is scottish himself, put forward a good argument for the use of foreigners.

basically if you keep losing then your FIFA ranking is gona get worse and so ya gona be seeded lower , which in turn means ya got harder teams to play in qualifying games. so just use the foreigners til ya got some good young talent, so the ranking can be maintained and in the mean time really work on developing the grass roots.

do scotland have an academy, a la England?

anyways, i think thats quite a good point?

The problem is the manager, the team has no drive about them, and when the manager's excuse is "but ve ver missing Lee Vilkie" then it's time to go.

I don't want foreigners playing for us at all, I already hate how Don Hutchison plays for us for example, I'd rather he didn't.

fair enough, but look at the Irish under Jackie Charlton. they had unprecedented success, and now are beginning to develop their 'own' talent. Would you not even view it as a short term solution CD?

Ireland still have players who ain't Irish playing for them, Morrison, Holland, etc. My opinion is that unless you were born here or have lived here for a long time (and you actually sound Scottish) then you shouldn't be allowed to play for the team.

It's about representing your nation not blaggin free transfers where and when you can, so no, I wouldn't like to see it even in the short term. I would like to see the Scottish Executive put some damn money into our game, Holland has around 4x the population we do but it's fair to say the standard they are at is far more than 4x ours.

but if you continue to not qualify for the big tournies youre gona get less and less money coming into the game. . . its a catch 22 situation that is for sure.

That's nothing to do with it, our league was mince before we stopped making these tournaments, clubs brought in average foreigners and paid out more than they should have, that's why we're a mess up here. My point is it's been a LONG time since we had a genuinely good player come through, that's down to the funding our game gets IMO as much as anything else.

Bottom line is I don't want non-Scots playing for Scotland.

Yip Scotland are ?....i think vogts has had his time i actualy feel sorry for him as he was given a mountain to climb. i would like to see more players from the scottish leauges getting a shot rather than the S**** from down south i mean come on ur trying to tell me that (apart from the EPL) players from D1,D2,D3 are better than the scottish players we have playing in the SPL i think not.

SCOTLAND 1-2 ROMAINIA........... :roll: not as bad as i thought i thought we would have got hammered but again its another F***** :x defeat

next fifa rankining will prob be touching 90 for us.

i thought that the performance of McFadden was great. Just shows what he offers when he can get the ball and run at people. He shoudl always be a first choice.

Also thought that McCann had a great game. Showed a lot of desire and done a lot of hard work. Amazing what happens when your club actually let you play for your country with their blessing.

Only saw some of the highlights, McFadden looked lively. Think it's time for the youth to come through and stake their claim. Pressley was shocking for the 2nd goal. And Ganea should've been sent-off for that shocker on Kennedy. :x

FD

Well guess it could've been worse, but Kevin Kyle should never play for Scotland again. The guy is a big donkey and is useless. As for Pressley it was pointed out before the game that he is usually the guy who makes the mistake at the back and what do you know, he doesn't let us down again. :roll: Malky MacKay didn't cover himself in glory as well for the goal.

Thought the only decent players on show where Gallacher and Fletcher. McFadden was okay, but a bit too greedy and I thought Caldwell did okay at full-back too.

Thank god we (Celtic) sold Crainey for around £1m as he can't defend to save himself and my god aren't we also lucky we never bought Canero. :roll: I think Celtic shouldn't bother signing a replacement for Larsson, but buy Kyle and Pressley and give them to Rangers and we'll mop up every year whilst they two balloons are there.

FD

Someone please tell me why Derek Riordan isnt in the squad?? This season in the SPL he is the top Scottish scorer (with 14 i think, 17 in all competitions) and he has played the majority of these games on the left wing too!

Was that Gary or Steven Caldwell at full back?

Dom, trust me there are plenty of people who could do a better job. Berti Vogts cannot conduct a decent media interview in English nevermind explain to a squad of English-speaking players how he wants them to play football.

I know Scotland don't have a great pool of players to choose from, but he is still choosing total donkeys like Kevin Kyle ahead of like tam says, up and coming youngsters like Riordan.

As for the Denmark result, it was actually a pretty solid peformance considering the amount of important players we had missing (McNamara, Pearson, Ferguson, Cameron, Miller, etc), but tbh I think Denmark played in 2nd gear all night and they still won.

Back
Top Bottom