The Retrogaming Thread! [8-bit/16-bit/32-bit/64-bit]

Never played it man! The only ones I've played are SNES' Super Fire Pro Wrestling X Premium, and PS2's Fire Pro Wrestling Returns! Now I might get a GBA emulator just for Fire Pro series! (I had an emulator but forgot to transfer ir to my new computer). Which one of the GBA games would you recommend to try first?
FPW2 is essentially the same as FPW1 but with more moves so I’d say Fire Pro Wrestling 2 is the way to go.
The best thing about it is setting the match to “showman” style and then it gives you a rating percentage based on the quality of your match”. Note that the idea is not to necessarily win the match but to put on a show for the crowd. A good way to do this is let your opponent kick out at the very last micro second by releasing them with the A button if I remember right. You’ll notice the crowd start to get louder and louder until they’re going crazy. That’s when you know it’s time to end the match. So it’s similar to real pro wrestling it this sense.
Then you could try the Japanese version if managing a federation interests you.
I can’t remember whether lockup timings are the same as the snes. On GBA you have to be exact and instant otherwise you’ll miss the lockup grapple chance.

Here’s the basic controls I remember:

B = weak attack

A = medium strength attack

A+B = strong attack

B in lockup = weak attack (with direction performs alternative moves)

A in lockup = medium strength attack (with direction performs alternative moves)

A+B in lockup = Strong attack (with direction performs alternative moves)

L trigger = recover

L trigger in lockup = Front face headlock
which can then be turned into other moves.

R = Run

R in lockup = Irish whip

Then there’s many more basic controls like climbing the ropes or running up the turnbuckle if the wrestler has that ability.
Arial attacks from the turnbuckle, Suicide dives to the outside, apron to inside arial attacks like springboard attacks etc etc etc

I’d go into the edit mode just to see how many unique moves there are too. I think it was about 1500 different moves on FPW2.

Anyway have fun!

@PES4eva That's really useful man, thanks! I've been playing a bit of the Fire Wrestling Returns PS2 game, and I'm having a tough time with level 4 (the default), the grappling has to be really exact! So I've decided to go down to level 2 slowly move my way up. I love the insane customization of this franchise, and I will definitely check out FPW2 like you mentioned.. That button guide is really helpful! :BSCARF: :RSCARF:

Last edited:
@PES4eva That's really useful man, thanks! I've been playing a bit of the Fire Wrestling Returns PS2 game, and I'm having a tough time with level 4 (the default), the grappling has to be really exact! So I've decided to go down to level 2 slowly move my way up. I love the insane customization of this franchise, and I will definitely check out FPW2 like you mentioned.. That button guide is really helpful! :BSCARF: :RSCARF:
No problem.
On PS2 fire pro wrestling returns, the timing of the button press is slightly delayed. If you do it the moment you lockup you won’t win the lockup. You need to do it a micro second after lockup if I remember.

Growing up, that was the one game that you just so badly wanted from this era? But as kids, you just didn’t have the money to just go out and buy it.

I can think of one for me - WWF Royal Rumble on SNES. Xmas seemed to take forever to arrive! I was not disappointed on Xmas day. I loved it.

Side note - I only recently learnt that there were often Roster differences between the SNES and MegaDrive WWF games. The MegaDrive seems to get the better package.
I had it on megadrive, great memories !

Back
Top Bottom