The Retro-PES Corner

Jesus wept, I am starting to really suck at PES 3, losing my touch. May have to go back to playing PES 2, that was the game I was best at.
:THINK::THINK::THINK:

BTW: does any know if Konami has ever put restrictions on salaries for COM teams ? They don't get game over if they run out of points I guess. I played yesterday Rekordmeister (BM) and they had: Elber, Santa Cruz, Veron, Roy Keane, Rivaldo, Guardiola and Lizarazu all in the same team.

WTF can my salary capped little team do ? :DOH:

Great question, I am curious too.

Also, does anyone know if player development is predetermined, or is it random? So will Gutierrez always reach specific stats, or is there a chance he becomes a dud?

@Special4988 I guess it will vary, not so much in that he may become a dud, but they develop quicker the more they are played and also they tend to improve more if you win or they have a good game I think. I'm sure I've noticed that they increase more after a game if you've won than if you've lost more often than not. For instance if you didn't play him all season he would still develop in pre season but he'd have missed out on the increases after he'd played matches.

Jesus wept, I am starting to really suck at PES 3, losing my touch. May have to go back to playing PES 2, that was the game I was best at.
:THINK::THINK::THINK:

BTW: does any know if Konami has ever put restrictions on salaries for COM teams ? They don't get game over if they run out of points I guess. I played yesterday Rekordmeister (BM) and they had: Elber, Santa Cruz, Veron, Roy Keane, Rivaldo, Guardiola and Lizarazu all in the same team.

WTF can my salary capped little team do ? :DOH:

I would imagine the com teams have different starting budgets perhaps depending on how 'big' a team they are? How accurately that's simulated who knows, like you say they can't go 'game over'

Now that would be a real modern football touch wouldn't it. Due to ridiculous players salaries Rekordmeister have gone into administration!

@mattmid Good to know there is some variability to how players develop.

Been playing PES 2008 a lot lately and am quite impressed with how each team seems to have their own play style. Maybe this is more due to their formation, but none the less it's nice to face different styles each game.

Playing the World Cup as Italy every game ended 1-0, (either me winning or losing). Their defense was rock solid, but going forward they seemed to play narrow, and relying on their full backs for overlapping runs.

Playing as Aston Villa in ML, and have kept their default tactic settings. They play a 4-3-3 with all 3 forwards pushed high. The 3 forwards will hound the other team whenever they are trying to cycle the ball around in the back, and sometimes this leads to quick turnovers. If the team is able to get by the front line, we have Barry, Petrov, and the tank Reo-Coker holding down the mid. Any turnover down the field, the front 3 are ready to break on a quick counter. Young, Agbonlahor, and Carew was my original front 3. But during the winter transfer window I brought in Eto, and he fits this style a lot better. I will bring in Carew if we need a late goal and start banging in crosses.

@mattmid: I faced Bayern on the 27th fixture, they were still many points ahead of us, and at half-time I was winning 1-4. They were playing with all the usual starting-11 players, but all of them seemed sluggish and...I gotta say, though it's a football game, they didn't look like they wanted to play a football match. After halftime their pride must've been hurt or something as they began to showcase a more competitive spirit and the match ended 4-3.
I don't know if they were still in the WEFA Championships, that could have been a factor for their latest performances too.

Gutierrez is so much fun to play with. He's my perfect kind of striker: complete, no weaknesses, and a tireless fighter (has reached 90 stamina).
Later on I'll make a post with all the details, but the good news is that I was indeed able to sign a very good defender for our side. The thing is, as you put it, you never know what you're getting. Even if a player has a wonderful statsheet at 17, you don't know how he'll develop.

@Special4988: Like Matt said, winning matches increases the amount of EXP a player gets. I can't confirm it but I also suspect it's possible that individual performances also affect it. Then, depends also on the pre-season training you might apply to each player. For example at this point I only focus on Libermann's defense stat - haven't changed his "defense" training for many seasons - and now, though he's beginning his decline, he's still evolving his defense attribute.
The player development graphs have predicted downfalls of guys like Macco for example but he's still holding on to his statsheet, not evolving but not declining either at 33. Individual training + team success (more wins, more EXP) + playing often (to get more EXP) + playing well (?) is a combination that heavily affects player development.
Regardless, I'd always encourage betting on Gutierrez. You can see clearly he starts out as a player with an interesting statsheet, all you have to do is give him minutes. What I did was putting him on the starting-11 from day one instead of Hamsun/Castolo/Huylens and the bet paid off.

Last edited:
I would imagine the com teams have different starting budgets perhaps depending on how 'big' a team they are? How accurately that's simulated who knows, like you say they can't go 'game over'

Now that would be a real modern football touch wouldn't it. Due to ridiculous players salaries Rekordmeister have gone into administration!

@mattmid , yeh mate, and even more contemporary football if they were bailed out by a Chinese business tycoon or Arab Sheikh and then was blocked by the German government for national security grounds. No flogging off the national assets in Germany.

Wembley gone like the trains, the gas and the leccy. WTF next, the Queen ? :NONO::NONO::NONO:

Great question, I am curious too.

Also, does anyone know if player development is predetermined, or is it random? So will Gutierrez always reach specific stats, or is there a chance he becomes a dud?

@Special4988 , thanks man, and as @mattmid said players develop much more if you play them all the time. But that is tricky early on if they have stats are all at about 60 or 65 and move like they are on heroin. :SHOCK::SHOCK::SHOCK:

Oh and if you win games, they develop much faster too.

@mattmid: I faced Bayern on the 27th fixture, they were still many points ahead of us, and at half-time I was winning 1-4. They were playing with all the usual starting-11 players, but all of them seemed sluggish and...I gotta say, though it's a football game, they didn't look like they wanted to play a football match. After halftime their pride must've been hurt or something as they began to showcase a more competitive spirit and the match ended 4-3.
I don't know if they were still in the WEFA Championships, that could have been a factor for their latest performances too.

Gutierrez is so much fun to play with. He's my perfect kind of striker: complete, no weaknesses, and a tireless fighter (has reached 90 stamina).
Later on I'll make a post with all the details, but the good news is that I was indeed able to sign a very good defender for our side. The thing is, as you put it, you never know what you're getting. Even if a player has a wonderful statsheet at 17, you don't know how he'll develop.

@Special4988: Like Matt said, winning matches increases the amount of EXP a player gets. I can't confirm it but I also suspect it's possible that individual performances also affect it. Then, depends also on the pre-season training you might apply to each player. For example at this point I only focus on Libermann's defense stat - haven't changed his "defense" training for many seasons - and now, though he's beginning his decline, he's still evolving his defense attribute.
The player development graphs have predicted downfalls of guys like Macco for example but he's still holding on to his statsheet, not evolving but not declining either at 33. Individual training + team success (more wins, more EXP) + playing often (to get more EXP) + playing well (?) is a combination that heavily affects player development.
Regardless, I'd always encourage betting on Gutierrez. You can see clearly he starts out as a player with an interesting statsheet, all you have to do is give him minutes. What I did was putting him on the starting-11 from day one instead of Hamsun/Castolo/Huylens and the bet paid off.

@miguelfcp , I think mig, you need another competitive game against the Juventus He-Men to feel the heat of PES battle. I hear they have all grown four inches since you last played them. Nothing dodgy mind you.
:BLINK::BLINK::BLINK:

@WhoAteMeDinner: The day I survive a match vs Juventus on Delle Alpi on a snowy night will be the day ML United finally rules the ML world. Doesn't get any tougher than that...

As promised, here's the two newgens I brought in:
HI89fN8.jpg
The first is Kim Myon U, a korean centre-back who has it all to become a starting-11 player in a while. His statsheet is very encouraging for a 17-year-old, but he's not that tall for a CB (180cm) and he's not particularly gifted in aerial duels; also he's quite slow and technically poor (47 short passing, 59 technique...no build-up play for him!). However, he's a defensive rock out there and has 87 mentality, a combination that will surely make him a valuable component of our back-3 rotation rightaway; also with his potential he could be a much better player than Jaric or Baumann will ever be.
Lastly, he's got a "Socrates" look going on with a fantastic head of curly long hair and a white bandana...as soon as I saw his profile pic it was a no-brainer, had to sign him. A korean rockstar fits a team like ours, comprised with bad motherf*ckers. You see, ML United has won the UnFair-Play award for the 3rd season in a row, with a collection of yellow and red cards much richer than any other team in the league. We have a reputation to keep!

DuTJPfr.jpg
Why not bringing in another CB? I was very divided on this, was almost pulling the plug on this deal to get a wingback instead (to replace Ruskin), but I just had to get the greek Delios. Now that we have Kim Myon U it was not a priority at all to get another CB, as Baumann, Jackson, Jaric, Kim Myon U, Libermann and Dodo/Stein are enough for a healthy centre-back rotation. However, Delios is that kind of player that fits no other team in the world than the ML defaults. He's a natural centre-back and has 1,68m! Gotta be the shortest CB in the world, surely? As for his statsheet, he has amazing defense for a 17-year-old (and amazing balance, for a shorty like him) but then...what else? He's slow, low stamina, low dribbling, low passing...but promising shooting stats with 48 shot power, though he has 33 attack. Huh? He's not an aerial threat at all but has room to improve with his jumping, particularly, and has 82 mentality/79 teamwork, which makes him an intelligent, reliable player out there.

The question now is how can I make him important for our team?

--
Also took screens of the three best players in the squad right now: Jackson, El Moubarki and Gutierrez (the first is a newgen, the others are ML defaults)

lmf3JbB.jpg
GGM5tqY.jpg
WW940XP.jpg

Just added another league tonight. This time one I'm not sure has ever been in a PES game. The Airtricity Irish Premier :)

I just started a test cup and have just played as Bohemians and I was drawn against Augsburg. Boy what a tough game! Absolutely great fun though and despite them being on top as you'll see in the stats I had my moments and got a late equaliser to force extra time. Eventually their pressure told and they grabbed what turned out to be the winner during the first half of extra time.

I did record the highlights at the end but it's too late to mess around uploading it now so might do that tomorrow. They had one shot that came back off the inside of the post and fell to my player close to the goal and I just about got it out for a corner, I was convinced I was going to bury it :LOL:

boh.jpg

@miguelfcp If only Gutierrez could sort his free kick accuracy :D That's some stat sheet, for all of them in fact. I signed Jackson too so I look forward to him getting to that stage too. I had already installed him as captain as well if I'm not mistaken.

Interesting couple of signings there. I see Kim making an early run at the first red card of the season.

As to Delios
The question now is how can I make him important for our team?
Slice the half time oranges? :D

Ah but hang on that may not be a good idea, remember the saying, beware Greeks bearing gifts :)

Just added another league tonight. This time one I'm not sure has ever been in a PES game. The Airtricity Irish Premier :)

I just started a test cup and have just played as Bohemians and I was drawn against Augsburg. Boy what a tough game! Absolutely great fun though and despite them being on top as you'll see in the stats I had my moments and got a late equaliser to force extra time. Eventually their pressure told and they grabbed what turned out to be the winner during the first half of extra time.

I did record the highlights at the end but it's too late to mess around uploading it now so might do that tomorrow. They had one shot that came back off the inside of the post and fell to my player close to the goal and I just about got it out for a corner, I was convinced I was going to bury it :LOL:

Once it's released could you potentially make a .psu using PS2 Save Converter (or something) for this OF? uLaunchELF on a modified PS2 only supports that format, I don't have a max drive sadly and don't really intend to buy one just for OFs that can be converted to .psu

I don't have a pc annoyingly and can't run a vnc on my server -.-

@geeeeee Looked like a good game. A tough day at the office for Loris there it seemed.

Yes it was good but tough. Their player, Pagnotto, ripped me apart getting 2 goals in 4 mins. Lloris, after playing excellent in the last game, made 2 mistakes. But in one moment, Pagnotto, skipped past Ben Davis on the right swung in a perfect cross. Their striker beat Vertonghen to the ball with a header. I thought it was 3-0 but Lloris saved it. What i liked next was the way he jumped on the loose ball.

I should have recorded it but it was getting late.

@geeeeee Did you show Levy how it's done by picking up Sturridge? :APPLAUD:

Yes not a bad deal :) but but but...we sold Kane and Trippier :(

@Chuny , Hilarious and reminds me of how fun and arcadey the original ISS series of games were. Until PES 1 came out in 2001, it was big hair, big shots and bright colours.

The smiley faces need bringing back. :SNACK:

Deliberately threw all six WEFA Championship second phase group games in PES 3 to make sure I got into the WEFA Masters Cup, a more enjoyable and pure cup competition with just knock-out rounds.

Two group phases is too much like the god-awful champions league guff.

UEFA. :RANT::RANT::RANT:

@Chuny , Hilarious and reminds me of how fun and arcadey the original ISS series of games were. Until PES 1 came out in 2001, it was big hair, big shots and bright colours.

The smiley faces need bringing back. :SNACK:

Yeah!
The "INTERNATIONAL........ SUPERSTAR SOCCER.......................DELUXE!!!" just popped in my head out of thin air and I HAD to Youtube it! I mean... I HAD TO!

Posted this on another thread in response to @Tinker , thought it would be useful for people playing PES 3 and trying to replicate the SS psoition:

For SS try putting a RW/LW close to the centre and midfield (no arrows) for players like Wiltord. Another option is setting an AMF with positioning/reaction (or even scoring) close to the CF (no arrows) for players like Raul. Last but not least, play a second CF with playmaking/passing and high defensive prowess close to midfield for players like Bergkamp.

Posted this on another thread in response to @Tinker , thought it would be useful for people playing PES 3 and trying to replicate the SS psoition:

For SS try putting a RW/LW close to the centre and midfield (no arrows) for players like Wiltord. Another option is setting an AMF with positioning/reaction (or even scoring) close to the CF (no arrows) for players like Raul. Last but not least, play a second CF with playmaking/passing and high defensive prowess close to midfield for players like Bergkamp.

Tricky to use an SS in PES 3 as the ball dynamics means the football pings about so fast that having an additional forward at the expense of maybe a DMF is not always wise. Agree though that one dimensional types of goal poachers like Raul or EMO do need some brains behind them.

Deliberately threw all six WEFA Championship second phase group games in PES 3 to make sure I got into the WEFA Masters Cup, a more enjoyable and pure cup competition with just knock-out rounds.

Two group phases is too much like the god-awful champions league guff.

UEFA. :RANT::RANT::RANT:

I hope you didn't bet on them as well :D

They will probably be only available on a "card". :NONO::NONO::NONO:

The 'Tosser' Card ? :D

@mattmid: Oh come on Matt, don't be so harsh on the guy. He's a good defender...though he can't do anything else. If he develops properly he could become one of the players with best defense attribute in the ML world. I just saw regen F. Cannavaro, who re-spawned this season and got immediately snatched by our league opponents River Plate, and he has 83 defense too as a 17-year-old.
On my pre-season friendlies I've been trying out Delios as a DMF, he could be an interesting option for when we're holding on to a lead and need to bulletproof our midfield for the last 10/15 minutes of a match.
The thing is, if I decide to make him a DMF I'll have to spend years training his stamina only, whereas if I want him as a CB I'll have to focus more on his aerial ability to overcome his height...

@rsl1: Sure, I'm playing PES2008 on the PS2.

@miguelfcp Hmm, maybe train him for the aerial ability but in the meantime use him as DMF cover or an extra player for as you say when you're holding on to a lead. I now have a picture of you in my head yelling at him to jump higher in training. :DD Only thing is I remember when I tried playing three at the back and used Stein and without fail, every corner I conceded he'd be marking a giant!

Back
Top Bottom