The Retro-PES Corner

Hat's off to China and @jihado86, I'm just glad it didn't go to penalties. Perhaps it was my utter lack of attacking instructions, perhaps I should have changed the team - mainly I think I shouldn't have managed England. It was always destined to end in disappointment!

Hopefully China can go on and win the cup. At least I can say we got knocked out by the champions!

Press Conference.
First, I would like to thank @sniglet for his sportsmanship and for the great game, your team gave us a hard time, especially Griffith, damn, what a beast! I also saw his other game and how he torn apart the opponent's defense.
I would like to also thank my players for staying on the ground and applying exactly my instructions (unlike some Dutch players who thought they are gods of football and mistook this tournament for FIFA Street), what a tactical discipline! These humble Chinese players knew that the only way is to stick to the plan. They believed in their dreams, in their abilities and in their unity!
@miguelfcp @mattmid I told you already, this cup is ours!

(...)
@jihado86: If your China wins this one, the following image shall be my next evo-web avatar:
416x416.jpg

Promises kept.

@sniglet @Special4988 @jihado86 @wildwind @rockstrongo @Flipper the Priest

Guys we need a vote please for the proper league that will follow our test league.

We need to add some 'adult' players as it were to our real league because we need to see how our ageing and stat declining works out and with all youth players 18 or under it would be at least 10 season's until we could see how it works in game. We want to see it at work straight away and iron out any problems so that when our youth players do get to that stage it's all working seamlessly.

So we have two options.

1) We use real life teams (same teams as you have in the test league - but you can change to another if you wish as long as nobody else already has them) You can pick 12 players over 21 from their real life squad for 2019/20 the remaining 20 will come from your team's youth players from the World Youth OF.

2) We use our Amador file and you can play as your region for the team name (if you aren't from anywhere in the Amador file we can rename a team to your region if you wish or you can just pick one) Each Amador team will keep their 12 oldest players and as above you then select 20 youth players from the team you are using in the test league (or you can change the team if you want as long as nobody else has them)

* All future youth players coming into the league will be real players in either option.

So, if we can get votes from you guys, just your name and either 1 or 2 then we'll go with the democratic vote :) If it's 3-3 then me and @miguelfcp will cast the deciding vote.

Last edited:
Match Day #24

Switzerland v Germany

An efficient Germany ran out comfortable winners here. In charge from the first minute until the last they got an early goal, capitalised on it and never really looked in danger from then on. Switzerland had the odd threatening moment but their finishing was of the desperate nature with shots flying high and wide on most occasions. A delightful ball by Vesco near the end put Okafor clean through but he blazed wide when a goal just might have led to a nervy few minutes for Germany.

M.o.M Evina: Just about edged it from several others in a solid team performance.

Up. Most of the German team! They do lack a potent out and out CF though and that may be their Achilles heel going forward. However all the time the supporting cast are playing like this it might not matter.

It would be harsh to be too hard on the Swiss, they just came up against a better team on the day. They gave it their all but ultimately it wasn't enough.

World Youth Cup Stats

The only player banned from the QF is Sopocko of Poland. There are no injuries for any of the teams through.

EDIT: Forgot there was one injury. Junwei of China will miss the Quarter Final

leadingsc.JPG

Assists.JPG

Player Ratings to date.

* Red = Player out of tournament
* Green = Player still in tournament

ratings.JPG

Last edited:
@mattmid

I do like the idea of adding Kane, Son, Dele, and Erickson to my team. Will it be fair to other teams who don't have as much star power?

I vote option 1

Season 1 of my Tottenham Master League is complete. PES 2008 PSP

Table
1)Liverpool 70
2)Chelsea 64
3)Man United 57
4)Arsenal 56
5)Man City 48
6)Newcastle Utd 46
7)Aston Villa 41
8)Middlesbrough 37
9) Fulham 37
10) Tottenham 37 Almost secured a euro spot but came up just short
11)Sunderland 36
12)Portsmouth 34
13)Everton 27
14)Wigan Ath 26
15)Bolton 23 Relegated
16)Stoke City 16 Relegated

League top scores
1)Drogba 15
2)Owen 14
3)D. Bent 13
4)Diouf 13
5)Robinho 11

My Top 3 scorers
1)D. Bent 13
2)Giovani 4
2)Pavlyuchenko 4
2)Modric 4

Transfer Market
In
Cleyton Silva CF
Gaudu GK
Arda Turan SMF
Out
KP Boateng
O'Hara

Recap: I knew going into this season it would be tough to compete for the top 4, but was hoping we could at least secure a euro spot. Ultimately we came up just short. We were never really in threat of being relegated so I decided to give a lot of playing time to some youngsters who I want to develop. Bale, Lennon, and Modric all had good stat gains this season. Oddly enough Real Madrid went after both Bale and Modric, which I refused. I plan to alter history and keep both of these players as long as I can.

Key players: Bent had a great season! He was our main threat in front of goal all season. Modric was another key player, he always seemed to find the right pass and scored a few pivotal goals as well. Also props to Corluka, this guy played excellent defense all year and also scored a couple of goals for us in the attack.

2009 outlook: Kept all the players I wanted to and added the talent that we could afford this year. I have hopes for both Turan and Silva to take some pressure off Bent scoring all the goals. I hope Modric and Bale continue to improve and become key players for us. Our main goal is to secure a top 8 finish.

WEEK #3 - Recap

The third week of the World Youth Cup 2019 comes to an end, and so does the Round of 16. Check out both the match reports and some of the broadcasted matches.

Match #1: Spain 1-1 Poland (3-4 PK)
Match #2: Romania 0-1 Austria
Match #3: Bulgaria 0-1 South Korea
Match #4: Ireland 1-0 Belarus
Match #5: Serbia 3-1 Hungary
Match #6: Belgium 2-1 Brazil (E.T.)
Match #7: England 2-3 China (E.T.)
Match #8: Switzerland 0-2 Germany

As it has been the theme of the competition so far, the WYC2019 keeps on wowing the world of football and this recent Round of 16 was no exception.

It all started with one of the most shocking eliminations so far, as Poland managed to win the penalty kick shootout against hyper-favourites Spain – Poland’s keeper saved four penalties! Striker Zjawinski (one of the top scorers of the WYC) and left-back Grudzinski are two of the young, previously totally unknown superstars that this tournament has revealed to the general audience so far – and are indeed two of the current crop of solid candidates to feature in the Team of the Tournament.

Austria were far from brilliant and are not expected to make any further waves in this WYC; however, they’ve beaten Romania with a powerful display of defensive talent by centre-back Meisl – and, as always, Edelhofer the potent striker being the ultimate card up their sleeve.

South Korea is confirming its status as one of the positive surprises – they did beat Portugal before this fixture – with a modest win over Bulgaria; their obvious team cohesion is proving to be an effective elixir against less collective-minded squads such as Portugal and Bulgaria’s.

Speaking of surprises, Ireland keeps on going strong and despite the fact that few believed in this rather unimpressive crop of talent, they somehow eliminated Belarus. I wouldn’t expect them to go much further, even if keeper Bazunu pulls yet another scintillating exhibition, as he’s been doing so far.

Serbia once again shines on the offensive side of the game and easily beats Hungary – though at some point it looked like Hungary was going to unfairly upset the ever-dominating Balkan side. In the end the undisputed best prevailed and such attacking prominence should help convince everyone that they’re a very serious contender for the title.

Now this one was far from easy but after much suffering, Belgium was able to eliminate mega-favourites Brazil. Vinicius Jr.’s exhibition proved that his manager was right in having benched him on the previous encounter yet still, Brazil proved to have a very positive offensive dynamic, and admittedly put on a show out there. Belgium however was always solid at the back whilst much more incisive up front. Striker Cuypers is the main man to blame for that – even if he wasn’t brilliant, he was fundamental once again with one goal scored and having an important participation on Baiye’s winning goal, as his was the shot that the keeper deflected which ultimately Baiye would take advantage of and score the final 2-1 to get Belgium the win on extra-time. Cuypers is probably currently the most probable Player of the Tournament winner and, providing he keeps on going like this, he’ll likely be on the Team of the Tournament. As for Belgium itself, it’s indeed an undeniable candidate to win the title.

But the most shocking event of this Round of 16 was China’s win over favourites England! Before the tournament, China was considered to be the least likely to win it and England the most probable winner…the Gods of football, however, decided it was time to upset the status-quo as China wowed the world and grabbed an impossible quarter-finals appearance. If you’re a betting man, I’d advise you to stay out of this competition; that is, if you want to remain somewhat sane and financially secure. It’s a wild west out here. England’s Griffiths once again shined and is still so far the top scorer of the WYC, despite his team’s early elimination. What would’ve had happened if the likes of Jadon Sancho and Hudson-Odoi had showed up? Now, we’ll never know. As for China, its exciting and provocative brand of football supported by a bunch of mediocre talents might go all the way…why not, if they’ve already beaten the favourites?

On the last day of the Round of 16, Germany was having none of that underdog thing and, as one would expect them to, decided to get down to business and allow no room for surprises: a comfortable 2-0 win over Switzerland allows them to go on dreaming about a title win. Defensively they still look a bit shaky, yet they have to be considered one of the main candidates.

Last edited:
WEEK #3 - Recap

The third week of the World Youth Cup 2019 comes to an end, and so does the Round of 16. Check out both the match reports and some of the broadcasted matches.

Match #1: Spain 1-1 Poland (3-4 PK)
Match #2: Romania 0-1 Austria
Match #3: Bulgaria 0-1 South Korea
Match #4: Ireland 1-0 Belarus
Match #5: Serbia 3-1 Hungary
Match #6: Belgium 2-1 Brazil (E.T.)
Match #7: England 2-3 China (E.T.)
Match #8: Switzerland 0-2 Germany

As it has been the theme of the competition so far, the WYC2019 keeps on wowing the world of football and this recent Round of 16 was no exception.

It all started with one of the most shocking eliminations so far, as Poland managed to win the penalty kick shootout against hyper-favourites Spain – Poland’s keeper saved four penalties! Striker Zjawinski (one of the top scorers of the WYC) and left-back Grudzinski are two of the young, previously totally unknown superstars that this tournament has revealed to the general audience so far – and are indeed two of the current crop of solid candidates to feature in the Team of the Tournament.

Austria were far from brilliant and are not expected to make any further waves in this WYC; however, they’ve beaten Romania with a powerful display of defensive talent by centre-back Meisl – and, as always, Edelhofer the potent striker being the ultimate card up their sleeve.

South Korea is confirming its status as one of the positive surprises – they did beat Portugal before this fixture – with a modest win over Bulgaria; their obvious team cohesion is proving to be an effective elixir against less collective-minded squads such as Portugal and Bulgaria’s.

Speaking of surprises, Ireland keeps on going strong and despite the fact that few believed in this rather unimpressive crop of talent, they somehow eliminated Belarus. I wouldn’t expect them to go much further, even if keeper Bazunu pulls yet another scintillating exhibition, as he’s been doing so far.

Serbia once again shines on the offensive side of the game and easily beats Hungary – though at some point it looked like Hungary was going to unfairly upset the ever-dominating Balkan side. In the end the undisputed best prevailed and such attacking prominence should help convince everyone that they’re a very serious contender for the title.

Now this one was far from easy but after much suffering, Belgium was able to eliminate mega-favourites Brazil. Vinicius Jr.’s exhibition proved that his manager was right in having benched him on the previous encounter yet still, Brazil proved to have a very positive offensive dynamic, and admittedly put on a show out there. Belgium however was always solid at the back whilst much more incisive up front. Striker Cuypers is the main man to blame for that – even if he wasn’t brilliant, he was fundamental once again with one goal scored and having an important participation on Baiye’s winning goal, as his was the shot that the keeper deflected which ultimately Baiye would take advantage of and score the final 2-1 to get Belgium the win on extra-time. Cuypers is probably currently the most probable Player of the Tournament winner and, providing he keeps on going like this, he’ll likely be on the Team of the Tournament. As for Belgium itself, it’s indeed an undeniable candidate to win the title.

But the most shocking event of this Round of 16 was China’s win over favourites England! Before the tournament, China was considered to be the least likely to win it and England the most probable winner…the Gods of football, however, decided it was time to upset the status-quo as China wowed the world and grabbed an impossible quarter-finals appearance. If you’re a betting man, I’d advise you to stay out of this competition; that is, if you want to remain somewhat sane and financially secure. It’s a wild west out here. England’s Griffiths once again shined and is still so far the top scorer of the WYC, despite his team’s early elimination. What would’ve had happened if the likes of Jadon Sancho and Hudson-Odoi had showed up? Now, we’ll never know. As for China, its exciting and provocative brand of football supported by a bunch of mediocre talents might go all the way…why not, if they’ve already beaten the favourites?

On the last day of the Round of 16, Germany was having none of that underdog thing and, as one would expect them to, decided to get down to business and allow no room for surprises: a comfortable 2-0 win over Switzerland allows them to go on dreaming about a title win. Defensively they still look a bit shaky, yet they have to be considered one of the main candidates.

Love it! These summaries really help bring excitement to this tournament. Excited for the next round.

:OT:

We are getting a little flavour of how berzerk and hyperbolic the British media would have gone last summer had England won the World Cup in Russia.
The cricket world cup concluded yesterday after about six months of games. :BLINK:
And after hosting the tournament five times in forty years and finishing second four times, the media are predictably going into collective national hysteria mode as if this was the first opportunity a tiny, plucky little nation ever got a chance at victory.

:SHOCK::SHOCK::SHOCK:

Last edited:
Match Day #22

Belgium v Brazil

Things got a bit deadlocked in that second half but Extra time and tired legs spiced things up a bit.Hell of a conversion of the rebound by Baiye from that kind of angle. And because it's PES 6 you know they don't always have that assurance he'll even hit the target with that body positioning unlike in modern PES. Nothing like a frantic goal mouth pinball scramble deep in extra time either from Brazil for dramatic effect. Shame about the result but the better team won.

Things got a bit deadlocked in that second half but Extra time and tired legs spiced things up a bit.Hell of a conversion of the rebound by Baiye from that kind of angle. And because it's PES 6 you know they don't always have that assurance he'll even hit the target with that body positioning unlike in modern PES. Nothing like a frantic goal mouth pinball scramble deep in extra time either from Brazil for dramatic effect. Shame about the result but the better team won.

It's like you mentioned before when you were posting your World Cups and Euro's. The stories of the competition write themselves and some of the drama it's produced is just incredible. The China v England game was mental, I never saw that score coming in a million years! When it's your team playing it gives you a tiny glimpse into how helpless a manager must feel sometimes when he just has to rely on his players to produce something.

Feel free to take one of the three non managed teams left if you want :) Germany/Poland/Austria

Totally agree on what you said @MafiaMurderBag and @mattmid , I would also add that with older PESs such as PES6, when a player outshines, he really outshines. He gives a 5 stars performance. You can see how he's presenting himself as a brilliant player. It's his day and he makes it clear.
Example : Griffiths in this YWC.

Yup, once lost a Master League Division One title and a Master's Cup in PES3, because my main man striker got a red cross (eight week) injury and my back-up forwards just could not make up for their lack of quality compared to him.

PES 6 is like that too and perhaps even more enjoyable as it has player development in a highly detailed manner, so you can take eight or ten seasons to develop a world class player from an average youth player.

That for me is sort of "my club" or "career mode" already created and why Konami needed to create additional layers of guff is beyond this old schoolers understanding...

:CONFUSE::CONFUSE::CONFUSE:

Match Day #25

Belgium v South Korea

Belgium, having already dispensed with Scotland and Brazil, go into this one in a confident mood. Cuypers who has been lethal in front of goal so far will be looking to at least join Griffiths of England at the top of the Golden Boot charts. With the England man's tournament already over the chance to claim a cherished prize is in his sights with the nearest other challenger Edlehofer of Austria on 3 goals, who will play later in the week. They will not disrespect South Korea but they must fancy their chances of a Semi Final appearance. On their showing so far you'd be wise not to bet against them, particularly as their manager will also be wearing his lucky socks.

South Korea meanwhile are nobody's mugs. Expected to have long since been back home they refuse to go away. Upsetting Portugal in the first round was followed up with a solid 1-0 win over Bulgaria. They are resilient and have shown enough up front to suggest they can trouble Belgium.

Bel v SKR.JPG

A strange kind of game in a way. Belgium had many chances to get the job done much earlier than they did. Key man Cuypers missing a golden chance when clean through and then minutes later a lovely ball over the top saw him take a bad first chance to allow the keeper to collect. They then conspired to hit a man on the line from 6 yards when 90% of the goal was wide open and also hit the bar late on after they had finally scored. Despite all that though, South Korea were always in the game even if ultimately they could not find a decent finish with Delanghe again looking confident in goal, making one excellent save in the first half and some more routine one's later. Ultimately a deserved victory for Belgium but far from the relaxed one it might have been had they had their shooting boots on.

M.o.M Masungu an absolute mountain in midfield who would appear to be a magnet to the ball, although a lose bit of control in the first half almost cost his side a goal. His second yellow card of the tournament will result in a big hole to fill in midfield for the semi final though.

Up: Baiye: Another good performance alongside Masangu in the middle of the Belgium team.

Up: Leoni: Produced what he'd threatened to do all tournament with some lovely passing and got the winning goal, although how much he knew about it I don't know.

Down: Cuypers: Harsh, and only because of the high standards he's already set this tournament. Could have had the game won for Belgium in the first 30 minutes but looked like he had his boots on the wrong feet today.

@mattmid
Korea's 5#'s ass did try everything it could to stop Belgium from scoring, butt eventually Leoni the Professional got the job done.
Baiye and Massangu are a joy to watch, what a midfield partnership right there. As for Cuypers, when asked about his tremendously disappointing performance on the post-match interview, he confessed: "Well, one tries to help his team as best as he can but when you're on a down arrow, it's very difficult to keep up."

Vote so far for the Full League following our test league is

Opt 1) 2
Opt 2) 1

still need votes from @jihado86 @wildwind @Flipper the Priest

So we have two options.

1) We use real life teams (same teams as you have in the test league - but you can change to another if you wish as long as nobody else already has them) You can pick 12 players over 21 from their real life squad for 2019/20 the remaining 20 will come from your team's youth players from the World Youth OF.

2) We use our Amador file and you can play as your region for the team name (if you aren't from anywhere in the Amador file we can rename a team to your region if you wish or you can just pick one) Each Amador team will keep their 12 oldest players and as above you then select 20 youth players from the team you are using in the test league (or you can change the team if you want as long as nobody else has them)

* All future youth players coming into the league will be real players in either option.

Back
Top Bottom