The Retro-PES Corner

@MafiaMurderBag: Once again, great stuff man!
Poooortoooo :EASY::EASY::EASY: What an unexpected win. Quaresma's goal is memorable, but what happened on the real-life version of that match wasn't any less amazing:

I mean you can remap the control from the IN-GAME menu, not only from settings.exe

The problem is that the controller simply doesn't work and it won't recognise any button presses in-game.

Dude, buy a new one and start playing, seriously, the foofery and faffery of option files, kitservers, WE or WEI or WEle and other diddly doo dahs will just melt your brain.

:BLINK::BLINK::BLINK:

I'm not really that bothered - and never will be - about patching. But option files are different for me. I used to edit the bejesus out of PES 3-6 (I even released option files ((http://www.pesgaming.com/showthread.php?t=9935 among others)) and, indeed, you'll find me credited in the Compulsion editors for my sterling work). However, it was purely to complement the game. Boots and faces? So what. Even kits and badges? Meh. Cosmetics. Other people would help me out with them because it's weirdly important to some. But I knew the stats inside out and could create players with the best of them. Just added that extra depth to the game, namely Master League.

I managed to get one game of PES 3 in before my PS2 packed it in. Far better than I remember. The ball physics are superior to 5 and 6. Meatier, less floaty. The player movement seems less railed and none of the mad ricochets and deflections other games had.

Handballs though...

The problem is that the controller simply doesn't work and it won't recognise any button presses in-game.

If you can spare the cash, buying a PlayStation 2 slimline model online is a safe investment as they only stopped being made six years ago and are far more reliable and durable than the first generation model.

Fortunately you should be able to get a really cheap copy. Every time I remember that a PS2 PES5 in awesome condition cost me 50 cents, I can't contain my evil laughter. The countless hours of amazing entertainment these games provide for...50 cents? :LMAO:
...and people paying full price for new games they end up hating less than a month later?
:LMAO::LMAO::LMAO:

It's truly staggering how good they are and how well they've held up. I include the PS1 titles in that. If it wasn't for the 1-2 'hack' in the PS1 games I genuinely think they could go toe to toe with anything we have now.

It's not just nostalgia. It's not like I haven't embraced later games. I was a solid FIFA player from 09 to this season but a stagnating Career Mode is putting me off. With PES 2019 having the SPFL licence I bought both for this season and thought both were poor at release. Patching has helped both but FIFA is just too easy whereas I'm still challenged by PES and I've been hooked on my first Master League since 2007!

But finding that I can have PES 3, 5 and 6 at my fingertips on one machine - game changer.

That was fantastic, you got a sub from me. And not to mention, will be checking out your other vids also!
Thanks!
Sadly input lag ruined 2014, totally unplayable.

Indeed! Well said @MafiaMurderBag
PES 2014 is perhaps the best game Konami has released in the 2013–2018 period, the AI is impressive indeed, the variety of AI play is impressive, the physics and player/ball weight are impressive (I play it at –2 speed), with a few tweaks here and there like yair gameplay patch version 3.0 (fix for input lag, responsiveness and gameplay enhancemnets) and a few graphic improvements for the PC version, and it is perhaps the greatest Football game ever.
I know not everyone has the capabilities but the Console versions of PES games isn't always the best ways to experience some of the older ones. PES 2008 & PES 2014 are downright unplayable on PS3 due to unacceptable due to poor framerate and latency in the latter. I've always said PES 2014 was rushed out and was poorly optimised, even on thew PC, out of the box looks and runs poorly on high settings. Once again it came down to the community to fix the game in a few days of release, strange that professional developers couldn't in a years dev cycle.

@MafiaMurderBag: Once again, great stuff man!
Poooortoooo :EASY::EASY::EASY: What an unexpected win. Quaresma's goal is memorable, but what happened on the real-life version of that match wasn't any less amazing:
Damn, I completely forgot about that goal. Sounds like a cliche but there was so much power it sounded like the goal itself was about to break!

I don't know about you guys but video games have to be fun to me, first and foremost. Either we are the odd ones out or everyone playing vidya nowadays are masochists, I don't know, but everyone keeps plugging into those unfun grinds, microtransactions, DLC rinsing, etc. Fun is what brought us to play retro PES in the first place and it will stay like this for a long time it seems.

That being said, PES 2019 can be incredibly fun to play 2v2 offline. 4 controllers and 3 other people make for a very merry time.

Couple of clips!

Love the broadcast feel on Freekicks and penalties. In PES 2019 it just feels like a mini game with the camera behind the player which then follows the ball in the air like a golf shot.

Loved the way Hamsik watches the deflection and readjusts himself while still moving, so natural. I remember there being a tech demo pre release of PES 2011 which showed their tech where the players would naturally watch the ball and move their head and body accordingly.

Ramos's day goes from bad to worse. I felt like even though we didn't have an "Impact Engine" yet, The animations on fouls looked the best they could with the tech. It looks very cohesive.

I remember the facial animations where ridiculed pre release on PES 2012 & 2013 but they have a certain charm and i do admit, can be a little amusing. They looked better when players were expressing anger in my opinion.

@MafiaMurderBag: Zlatan cracked me up :LMAO:That should be a retro-PES meme!

@du0: I've used to have that opinion, that they were surely masochists as you say. Now, I think the reality of it is even darker. They are addicted. Everyone and their mother complains about the game on every forum, yet they keep consuming it. I've read countless people on reddit actually even saying they "hate" the game. But like addicts, they just can't help themselves.

At this point I'm not sure whether I want people to go retro, I just want them to have some self-control over their gaming.

(Maybe a little bit off topic) Did anyone of you here purchased/played the official J.League on Winning Eleven 2012 or 2013? I want to find it back but it is really difficult.

I want to find the second-hand one but needs to be done with the console and the PSN account because the DLC (I mean datapack update) is no more open for download.

Last edited:
Retro guys i am calling for all of you. I was digging in Youtube for Dreamcast footies, i am searching for some PES or ISS for Dreamcast basically and i found this diamond from 1999. I couldnt find any source in English language about the game, but as i can understand it is some Manager game but you can control some actions? in the cutscenes. The physics it has are something more than amazing, considering it is a 1999 game!!! Has any of you any knowledge on this game? Its name is "J-league pro soccer club o tsukurou"

I recall someone from here has mentioned it again in the past, maybe its english name is Let's make a pro soccer team

Last edited:
Retro guys i am calling for all of you. I was digging in Youtube for Dreamcast footies, i am searching for some PES or ISS for Dreamcast basically and i found this diamond from 1999. I couldnt find any source in English language about the game, but as i can understand it is some Manager game but you can control some actions? in the cutscenes. The physics it has are something more than amazing, considering it is a 1999 game!!! Has any of you any knowledge on this game? Its name is "J-league pro soccer club o tsukurou"

Looks like the highlights from the old LMA Manager games, where everything is pre-rendered. Looks way too good to be generated on-the-fly!

I recall someone from here has mentioned it again in the past, maybe its english name is Let's make a pro soccer team

Fascinating find. I'm sure a playable game that looked like this would have ruled back in the days!

Really, are you kidding me? A 1999 game with more human animations than a 2019 one.
I had never seen that game before. It really is sad to see the regression in football games.
I mean look at the chain of animations, the tempo of each of them, how players position their bodies before moving on to the next move. Unbelievable. EA and Konami have been robbing us for 30 years.

Even if it is pre-rendered, it still looks better than what we get from pre-render trailers nowadays in terms of animations.

The animations of players or ball physics never felt pre-rendered in PES 2 or PES 3. The players from Nedved to Crespo all had an instantly recognised manner of movement and playing style. Nedved for example ran, just as the real world master of Serie A did, in a slightly head down and charging way.

I believe football games have been in a sixteen year decline. Regression is a very good word too @Chuny .:COAT::COAT::COAT:

True @mattmid , matters pal, remember Hart's (John Hartson) for our continental comrades.

In PES 2, he was an identical clone of the real player. Slow by striker standards, but impossible to take the ball from. And used to just rumble towards your goal like an unstoppable tractor.

So I was working on the 1989 mod and have found all the sound files, which includes commentary from Jon champion (I think that's his name).

If I had a good commentary voice, I'd record the whole thing. This actually makes it possible to have commentary names for the classic players

@jajabinx35: Man, you should consider giving a public masterclass on how to edit PSP PES. Always wanted to do something more profound than just ingame-OF editing, but not only I don't know any better, the web isn't exactly filled with many people explaining the process.

I'll definitely start making video guides, there's a few avail on YouTube, but it's in Spanish...there's still quite a big community for pes psp in Spain and Brazil.

Back
Top Bottom