The Retro-PES Corner

Why in the right mind am i still playing these things? Can somebody tell me?

And of course the cross went to a header and goal for opponent... I don't have a problem with losing, but this is nasty. This is too much. I think i'm gona pull out like geeee did and leave Konami alone.

A lot of shame in that 'game' :SHAKE:
What difficulty level you playing on? I know on Top player, and it's often been the case for years, that the top player levels on PES games are always the cheatiest. Especially once you venture away from exhibition and start any kind of competetive mode like ML, or Cups.

On PES 6, i play on professional in my WC, as it AI seems to spike professional and make it really challenging and i still get unpredictable results while still my players still do exactly as i command them.

As soon as i put it on Top Player, Yes the AI goes into Brazil 1970 mode and can be incredible and challenging to play against but... The game starts nerfing your players, passes and shots have no power and your team mates become extremely static and don't make any runs whatsoever.

It's always been the edict with PES, where you wish you could have the AI, aggression & creativity of the highest difficulty without the handicapping of your own players and it'd be the perfect difficulty.

@MafiaMurderBag

Yes i play on Top Player.

I was so curious that i just set up a new World CUP with 'Professional' as difficulty. So far i'm 1 game in with a 3:0 win - and..., the players now make absolute better runs ... So far it makes a way better impression. But that was just one game... let's wait and test some more.

The most puzzeling is: FootballerPOOMAH & Retro Football (on youtube) also play on highest difficulty (PES 5+6) and i've never ever seen the CPU doing such maneuvers in their play. Their game doesn't seem to be 'crippled' in any way or form (??)

But thanks man, now i can't wait to go at it again, i'm motivated! Tonight it's England vs. Spain (group qualifiers)
:BOUNCE::BOUNCE::BOUNCE:

@MafiaMurderBag

Yes i play on Top Player.

I was so curious that i just set up a new World CUP with 'Professional' as difficulty. So far i'm 1 game in with a 3:0 win - and..., the players now make absolute better runs ... So far it makes a way better impression. But that was just one game... let's wait and test some more.

The most puzzeling is: FootballerPOOMAH & Retro Football (on youtube) also play on highest difficulty (PES 5+6) and i've never ever seen the CPU doing such maneuvers in their play. Their game doesn't seem to be 'crippled' in any way or form (??)

But thanks man, now i can't wait to go at it again, i'm motivated! Tonight it's England vs. Spain (group qualifiers)
:BOUNCE::BOUNCE::BOUNCE:
You know what pes5/6 are very stats-dependent games.I remember trying a new OF in pes6 after a point where i was beating every game in ML 3-0 in top difficulty.In that OF there was a global tweak +5 to agility/response/teamwork etc and +10 for CBs and GKs and it was a hell of difficulty.I hardly won 1-0 some matches,every pass or shot in front of an opponent was intercepted immediately ,the goalies were diving and getting up in the same second,everybody was covering each other's gaps.Maybe some stats are tweaked in your game too.
For my playing the "SCRIPTING",or AI boosting,or stats handicapping is seperated in these periods:
The pes1-2 period where eveything was still innocent, it was pure stats-based period,you had shite pkayers you would pkay shite,you had good players you would play good.Who has not started a ML having his first signings R.Carlos/Babaginda/Babayaro playing as FWs on those games!!?
After comes the 3-6 period where it was still stat-playing period added with a lil bit drama.Sone momentum, some mental stats acting as x-factor, some tricky formations.
After cones the 2008-10 period where the AI started taking decisions in your position. I still remember i was playing tiki-tska before Pep's Barca but in 2009 and 2010 the 5th consecutive pass was always a miss for no reason despite your players being pressure free.
Then comes the 11-13 period when the CPU starting exploit the game environment to tell a story,like a falde cursor switch, a wierd catch-up,an unexplained out-muscle from a weak player.I still remember our groups ladt KONAMI cup where i shattered my mate's Barcelona with me controlling AEK Athens, only cause i had the "emotions" momentum and i was playing as home team .My veteran Lyberopoulos was cutting half while Xavi and Iniesta couldn't string a simple pass between them.Mark thati have never won him in previous pes gaming using so unequal teams AEK-BARCELONA.

Little offtop message
I was found instruction how to play in FIFA 2005 in 1920 x 1080 resolution.
Have some fun with it, remembering the time when this game was relevant.

@Sany023
Are you talking about these ones - I know them but they have some problems

Now i just have seen, there is also a new "widescreen fix" for FIFA 06 (PC) but it also has the same problem with stuff disappearing from screen if it's over the 4:3 boarder ...

@slamsoze
Well i'm sceptical ...or a bit 'PESimistic' as @Chris Davies would put it ;)
So far the games on 'Professional' (PES 6) are kinda better, but still feel a tad bit wacky. I may try the PES 6 FLS patch, since i think this one has a bit faster gameplay from what i can tell - and that used to benefit my game. I may try it then...

Are you talking about these ones - I know them but they have some problems ...
Yes. Certainly it works not perfect fully. But this game engine in time of release do not supported correctly such resolutions by default. At least - this way make possible full hd support with some limitations.

Little offtop message
I was found instruction how to play in FIFA 2005 in 1920 x 1080 resolution.
Have some fun with it, remembering the time when this game was relevant.

great find, but personally i prefer fifa 2004... only fifa in pes era that i actually liked a bit.

sorry guys for this little OT :)

Ended my third season on Pes 2011..

Fourth place conquered.. which will mean CHAMPIONS LEAGUE..

But also a painful loss in Coppa Italia final :(.. they scored first, I draw with a powerful header by Luis Fabiano.. then I dominated without scoring, we went overtime and then penalties.. and with the switched cam I sadly couldn't score nor save.. bitter ending for Riganpool's run ..

That said, I still have limited economic scources: already bought a young De Gea (on the road of being a phenom in this game too of course); I'd love to pass on a 3 men defense, but the team of the defender I targeted refused to let him go.. so I switched for a game changing objective: I made an offer for (at the times) Udinese's Alexis Sanchez.. after some negotiations, the dream came true:D and for 17 millions I brought him in.. but not without a major sacrifice: I had to sell Luis Fabiano to go even.. no harm done, tho: my forward department consists of Alexis, Lukaku and Schwarz for the two positions.. in the rest of the field I'm not as abudant but I hope I'll have some good money to buy a defender in next january.. truly loving to no end the squad building and the obligated choices..

Anyway, in the preliminary round of CL I already had my vengeance against Man City, which robbed me in EL last season.. I destroyed them in the double match, 0-3 and 1-0, Sanchez with the merchant and the turning skill is on another whole level of every other player I've had until now.. it's gonna be a fun season!

great find, but personally i prefer fifa 2004... only fifa in pes era that i actually liked a bit.

sorry guys for this little OT :)
I gotta agree, i think it's the one from the PES & PS2 era with the most polish too. after 05 they just start getting a bit janky and visually they become simply hideous. At least on FIFA 2004, star players are identifiable and the atmosphere is pretty immersive too.

To who mentioned FIFA 2004, that was my first football game and I remember the soundtrack was amazing... possibly it has one of the best football game intros too that's not by KCET :P

But anyhow I played against Wales as Ireland on PES 2008 PS2, and drew 3-3. What an exciting match, one goal after another pretty much. The older games honestly felt so much more fluid and realistic, skill and stat based than the later instalments for next-gen (at the time) PS3/360.

I own PES 2018, never really made much use of it because the AI felt so rigged.

guys I found player and team editor for pes 1 but has alot of bugs and it crashes
Try running it under a Windows 98 SE VM and see what happens, might work better than Wintrash 10. :)

It's weird how PES 5 (and PES 6) have a shortened version of the edit song that plays in the actual menu, but it plays normally in the BGM option and when you reload the song by loading an option file

This song and the sound in Mario Kart 64 when you hit a "present-box" are two of the sounds/songs i used to listening to my sleep for months back in the days!! :P :P There were mornings that i woke up thoughting someone broke into my house and he is editing my PES!!! :P :P

Btw, what type of music is this , funky jazz?

Last edited:
This song and the sound in Mario Kart 64 when you hit a "present-box" are two of the sounds/songs i used to listening to my sleep for months back in the days!! :P :P There were morings that i woke up thougting someone broke into my house and he is editing my PES!!! :P :P

Btw, what type of music is this , funky jazz?
Someone else described it as funk/jazz, so I'd assume so.

And lol, I can now imagine a burglar stealing a PS2 just for a PES OF xD

One of the reasons i have such fond memories of PES 2010-2013 is because of the excessive time i spent in Edit mode and listening to those songs. That was when the curators had decent taste in music and introduced me to many great bands. Now their money seems to be going on mainstream pop. I hear enough of this shit on the radio at work now i gotta come home and hear it in my football and wrestling games? Sometimes i also prefer the in house groove & funk beats that had a very Japanese feel to them in older PES but at least it had identity too. Great memories.

Anyway, new episode of WC 2002 is up. The knockout stages finally begin, otherwise know as the Round of 16! World Champions France look to defend their crown against underachievers Spain. Then it's the Portuguese Derby as favourites Brazil take on Portugal.

Now we're in the knockout stages and the episodes are getting shorter, i'll upload a new one every 2 days.

One of the reasons i have such fond memories of PES 2010-2013 is because of the excessive time i spent in Edit mode and listening to those songs. That was when the curators had decent taste in music and introduced me to many great bands. Now their money seems to be going on mainstream pop. I hear enough of this shit on the radio at work now i gotta come home and hear it in my football and wrestling games? Sometimes i also prefer the in house groove & funk beats that had a very Japanese feel to them in older PES but at least it had identity too. Great memories.

Anyway, new episode of WC 2002 is up. The knockout stages finally begin, otherwise know as the Round of 16! World Champions France look to defend their crown against underachievers Spain. Then it's the Portuguese Derby as favourites Brazil take on Portugal.

Now we're in the knockout stages and the episodes are getting shorter, i'll upload a new one every 2 days.
Nice topic,wanted for months to discuss about this.2011 is good but i cant listen again this ,i got overdosed , listened it in PEs 2011,in supermarket/department store everyehere.The 2011 was overcrowded from latin-funk tracks,for my taste.After 2012 it was very reggaeton.
The milestones for me in the pes series were :

1)We will rock you/we are the champions in pes 2 intro/ceremony respectively.

2) Kasabian-Club Foot (Awesome choise for both PES 5 and FIFA 13

3)The whole PES 2015 soundtrack collection is until today, for me , the most spot-on collection in PES series.90% songs are bearable to good.

Furthermore some extra spots :The tracks in FIFA 98-99-2000,the NBA LIVE tracks from 2003 until 2008, the nba 2k11 and 2k14.FIFA 17 had some decent music.All the latter versiobs of PES/FIFA/2k have very bad soundtrack for some reason,i would say irrelevant. For my taste , a football game must have rock/metal/house music,while a true NBA game must have
Rap/black/rnb/house.

Last edited:
(...) There were mornings that i woke up thoughting someone broke into my house and he is editing my PES!!! :P :P

That sounds exactly like something I'd do. "Hehe, when this guy wakes up he's going to see I edited his unlicensed Bundesliga on PES5 for a Portuguese League! Muahahahahah! :TWIST::TWIST::TWIST:"

You guys read my mind, I had just posted on the blog about one of most iconic songs in PES' history.
Anyway, you're right about the decline of the quality of the soundtracks, as @MafiaMurderBag put it. I remember playing a PES (13? 14?) and suddenly freakin' Michel Teló - Ai Se Eu Te Pego starts playing...u kiddin' me? From a game that was known to advertise bands like the Stereophonics, Keane...

If you're up for overall tremendous soundtracks on PES, PES08-10 was the absolute peak for me, any of the three games had an amazing collection of songs. PES11 was not bad but it was the beginning of the decline on that regard.

Oh and @slamsoze, you're right about NBA2K11, it's probably one of the best soundtracks ever on any sports game.

Great one as always @MafiaMurderBag

France 2-0 Spain
Brazil 1-2 Portugal (come on, I want to believe :D)
Germany 1-0 Sweden
Ecuador 3-1 Belgium
Japan 0-2 Italy
England 3-2 Cameroon
United States 1-1 China (China wins on PK)
Slovenia 1-2 Senegal

My bet is placed!

I'm 0 for 2 on my predictions so far...Portugal deserved more after that powerful second half of theirs!

2011 (not because I'm playing i right now :D!) does have my most favourite soundtrack of a sport game ever. To this day I can probably sing every single song out of it.
@slamsoze cinquantamiilaaa lacriimeee... non basteraaanno perchèè.... muuusica triste.. seei tu, deentro di meee..

..sorry :P.

However 2010 also had great gems like this one that I truly love to this day:

However, I bet this melody:

Will be impressed in my mind until the last day I'll spend in this world:LOL:.

We should make an evo-web FC with ourselves in PS2 PES 6 or maybe 2008 to be honest... and of course give ourselves Konami-like fake names! I'd like to see what stat suggestions etc we all have! :)

e.g. (for the fake names)

@slamsoze = "Sransoll" - with a high aggression stat because Kazuki Ito avatar
@flanylla = "Fluyila" - the newcomer with low stats

and of course @Chris Davies = "Cris Daymees" xD

2011 (not because I'm playing i right now :D!) does have my most favourite soundtrack of a sport game ever. To this day I can probably sing every single song out of it.
@slamsoze cinquantamiilaaa lacriimeee... non basteraaanno perchèè.... muuusica triste.. seei tu, deentro di meee..

..sorry :P.

However 2010 also had great gems like this one that I truly love to this day:

However, I bet this melody:

Will be impressed in my mind until the last day I'll spend in this world:LOL:.
About the last song and after reading @miguelfcp blog ,i have to admit that i am surprised ,maybe socked to discover that this song has lyrics.Until now i was always thinking they were "nonsense" vocals emulated by keyboard (electric-piano).And how do you "through your sister" to someone ?
@Madmac79 hahahaha thats exactly the part blowing into my mind.I usually can't stand sings that have the chorus in the opening. :P :P

@flanylla: I did that almost 10 years ago on a now deceased site, PES.COM.PT - it used to be THE portuguese PES forum, but after the decline of PES in the PS3 era, the site lost most of its activity and was shut down later on.

We had an excel sheet in which you could insert your stats, but you had to pick your abilities carefully and intelligently as there was a limit you couldn't exceed. You sent your excel spreadsheet to me, as well as your data (height, weight, appearance, etc), I inserted you onto the team and me and this other guy would play a COM vs COM match vs. the best teams of the world. He recorded the match on the PSP and I'd do the match commentary, we posted it on the thread.

I've been trying to find that excel sheet but couldn't so far.

Back
Top Bottom