Joao Mario from INTER MILAN to JUVENTUS
Iago Aspas from NO CLUB to ROMA
D. Falcinelli from FIORENTINA to VALENCIA
Arthur from BARCELONA to BENFICA
Gabriel from BENFICA to BARCELONA
Jefferson Lerma from BOURNEMOUTH to RANGERS
Juan Agudelo from RANGERS to BOURNEMOUTH
Matt Phillips from WEST BROM to STOKE

I am quite pleased to see some kind of reality.
Benfica doing good business with Jesus and Arthur in a swap with Seferovic and Gabriel.

Last edited:
@geeeeee: FC Porto's Marega as one of the top scorers of the save, Benfica managing to get a couple of great youngsters...do I sense a portuguese takeover of your virtual world? Benfica to win the WEFA Championships next season? Stay tuned.

I finished my 2nd season in ML. It has been a struggle yet again but like i said the team is clicking slowly.

I've been studying the video series of Lewis "Retro Football" (PES5/6) on youtube for quite some time now and i learned, that the right formation is a BIG part of success! I underestimated this very, very much... But it's not that complicated as it sounds ;)

If you play with the defaults, the right formation and a decent striker in the transfer window should get you going.

Since PES 6 is kinda like PES 2008 i give you his formation setup:

Starting from behind:
Keeper
3 CB (no SB/Wing etc!)
2 DMF (on more forward, one a little more back)
LMF (closest to the DMF)
RMF (a little more front then LMF)
AMF (closest to CF/striker)
2 Strikers

He had the biggest troubles playing his true and tested formation from PES 5 - or any more traditional system with 4 defenders (2 CB + 2 Wing). He was failing miserably to say the least...

You can really learn from watching his season 1 of PES 6!

Last edited:
Thanks @sniglet and @fmicablues7 for the detailed tutorial. Couldn't have expected more! Will try.

Regarding EU or US versions, what are differences between those, if any?

US version was released a few months later, so maybe Konami improved it compared to the EU version ? That's why i stick with this one, but the differences should be minimal, like PES5 -> WE9.

Thanks for the tutorials guys will give this a go as I'd love to see the PES8 PS2 experience first hand. If it's as good as you say it's just going to make it even more frustrating at what they did to the PC version though!

@geeeeee Is that Shane Long's all time career goals there? :D

Have you signed anyone this pre season in your save? I forgot what you were doing about picking up any Free agents. With other transfers you're only buying from clubs ranked below you and only selling to clubs who make an offer for your players if they are higher ranked, right? I really like that idea.

Thanks!

Another question: is there any way to adjust aspect ratio? When I set it to Widescreen in settings, I get skewed aspect ratio, while it's normal in Standard (4:3) view, however I have, understandably, black bars at the sides. Should it be the case?

Thanks!

Another question: is there any way to adjust aspect ratio? When I set it to Widescreen in settings, I get skewed aspect ratio, while it's normal in Standard (4:3) view, however I have, understandably, black bars at the sides. Should it be the case?

Not sure about that. I personally set it to Widescreen 16:9 and it is not skewed. I also have black bars though because my display's resolution is 1920x1200(16:10), but it is normal. What is the resolution of your display ?

@fmicablues7 good to see you back. hope you are well.
Thanks for the guide. I'd been using an older version of pcsx2 and this improved performance tremendously. maybe it's the multi-threading option?

Thanks!

possibly it depends on the rom you're using.
it works for me with fmicablue's guide and the linked EU version, but when I used another rom (which had some fan edits), I got skewed aspect ratio, too.

Thanks!

I’ve looked into it briefly. Pes on ps2 doesn’t have any native widescreen. There should be hacks or patches available for pcsx2 to enable widescreen mode.

Found this so far ... https://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-PCSX2-Widescreen-Game-Patches?page=178

Guys, did you find any fixes for the hair flickering problem with PCSX2 ?
I also have severe stuttering during goal celebrations, otherwise it is perfectly smooth, any idea why ?

@fmicablues7 Thanks :) Just followed your tutorial and it worked perfectly except for mine I had to disable vertical sync, with it on it was running in slow motion, once that was off it was perfect.

Now for my Konami rant! Why? Just why? I was playing PES 6 earlier and now come to play the PS version here of PES2008 and in just one game it seems like a really nice progression from PES6. So WTF(!) did they do to the PC version! I've heard so many good things in this thread about the PS version but I thought surely it can't be that much different from the awful PC version. Turns out, yes it was!

Of course Konami got me back by having that monstrosity of a ploughed pitch for the first game! :LOL:

My question now is how do I get @geeeeee 's OF into the game and how does it save progress or rather where? Does it save into one of the pcsx2 folders?

Returned to PES 2010 on the PC over the weekend, this game is kinda underrated. Of course it's an advanced version of the classic PES 5/6 engine for the previous gen and it's another one that surprises me how it's not more popular then PES 6 as far as the modding community goes. If it had a dedicated Kitserver then i'm sure it'd be the cult PC of choice.

Graphics and player models hold up pretty well and it's got PES 5 vibes in terms of difficulty creating goal scoring opportunities and scoring decent goals is pretty hard so when a screamer does go in, it's pretty satisfying.

I'll share some clips via my Twitter as Imgur is being crap right now.

Returned to PES 2010 on the PC over the weekend, this game is kinda underrated. Of course it's an advanced version of the classic PES 5/6 engine for the previous gen and it's another one that surprises me how it's not more popular then PES 6 as far as the modding community goes. If it had a dedicated Kitserver then i'm sure it'd be the cult PC of choice.

Graphics and player models hold up pretty well and it's got PES 5 vibes in terms of difficulty creating goal scoring opportunities and scoring decent goals is pretty hard so when a screamer does go in, it's pretty satisfying.

I'll share some clips via my Twitter as Imgur is being crap right now.

To be honest i played only PvP that period 2009 and 2010 , so i remember very little details about ML. But in PvP we were a big company of friends in the last year of the Uni and we used to play all yaer long. At last we were so tired from the "issues" that at the end of the season we jumped straigth to PES 2011 demo!!!
You know what the issue was? PES 2010 had a strange balance, and some weird skating that resulted players like Drogba,Eto,Suazo,Milito,Rooney and others that had good Speed and Body Balance being almost invincible ,you couldn't out muscle them or catch-up them with defenders, even N. Vidic or Skrtel who where some of the best that year. In the last months of PES 2010 i had ended up playing a 5-4-1 or 5-3-2 deep defensive formation where i only had one or two strong and pacey forwards and i was making the same thing exclusively, concentrated defense, through ball and run donw to attack until i was one-on-one with the GK. Despite i was an average player with this tactic i never lost a match again, i swear 100% win rate, that made our company disappointed with this limited scheme as it was like an exploit.

@MafiaMurderBag I agree, Pes 2010 is a very underrated game.. it's that as we already discussed about many times here, the 360/Ps3 Pes games had a bad reputation well beyond their effective problems, while with the right expectations there still is a lot to enjoy among those titles. I sometimes toy with Pes 2010 myself here and there, must decide to start a proper run soon or late.

@MafiaMurderBag I agree, Pes 2010 is a very underrated game.. it's that as we already discussed about many times here, the 360/Ps3 Pes games had a bad reputation well beyond their effective problems, while with the right expectations there still is a lot to enjoy among those titles. I sometimes toy with Pes 2010 myself here and there, must decide to start a proper run soon or late.

Definitely. One of my favorite things about it is the animations. There's some quality contextual animations in there from passing and shooting where the players really open up their bodies to spread a pass or to place a shot. I missed these the most when we went to PES '11 even though the modernization was desperately needed back then.

After playing PES5/6/WE9LE these past few months, going to PES 2010 really isn't a culture shock and just seems like a pleasant evolution of those PS2 engines. But it was definitely outdated for the time in comparison to FIFA 10.

PES 2011 had two gray points for me, do not know if anyone else felt the same. The player movement and physicality was confused enough cause of two factors. At first, although it was 16 directions movement, some players who had the "mazing run" trait i think, like Messi, Arshavin were ultra sensitive to take turns, but their movement was 360 degrees.So you needed an analog stick to take their max potential. But the other players without this trait were better controlled with a D-pad or a keyboard in my case, so you could use the R1+R2+diagonal change direction to make a speed burst move. With analog stick+R2 your player was making a super cancel sidestep. The second problem ,for my playstyle at least,which included much physical game, was that you could run your WF player shoulder-to-shoulder with an opponent defender, only when your player had this trait, shoulder feint skills , like Donovan, Varela which also made SMFs and WFs without this trait almost useless to run down flanks and challenge the SBs with their bodies (shoulders).

@mattmid: The ploughed pitch is Cuito Cuanavale, right? :D
CmTBNvaWYAA8dTn.jpg

This one f*cked up my eyesight pretty bad over the years. Thanks Konami...

@MafiaMurderBag: For me, PES10 is even better when using a weaker team. I remember a few years ago going back to the game to play a ML with Inter and most matches felt really arcade-ish, high-speed end-to-end football all the way through. Then, more recently, tried a World Cup using some of the weaker NTs in the game like North Korea, Thailand and the like and my experience was completely different: none of that end-to-end football, actually it was almost always a much more balanced, realistic type of game in which I tried to commit as less mistakes as possible, both on and off the ball. I wasn't even sure I was playing the same PES10 I had known before, it was a great experience really.

Furthermore, it has that great ML with the individual player training options.

@miguelfcp That's the one :BLINK: By the time you focus you've lost the ball :D
Always wondered - is there a pitch in real life like this ?! :LOL:

I only played the 'other' PES games for a brief time (..never above PES 2010 though). From what i remember PES 2009+10 always had a real similar feel to them. But PES 2009 is the one that reminded me more at PES 5, compared to 2010. And the AI.... was only cool when played in match mode, shit got real, faster then light when played in Liga or Champions League mode! The CPU will give you the death stare - no compromises.

Graphically the biggest let-down were the matches at night time, oh boy, both games had an rather bad lit pitch and a eerie fan atmosphere, always felt kreept out, llike the grimm reaper sitting somewhere in the grandstand :SIL::LOL:

@geeeeee: FC Porto's Marega as one of the top scorers of the save, Benfica managing to get a couple of great youngsters...do I sense a portuguese takeover of your virtual world? Benfica to win the WEFA Championships next season? Stay tuned.

Yes it could be. Porto are also 5th in the Team Rankings. I will keep you informed. I’m guessing that if i get promoted i will be able to view all the leagues?

I've been studying the video series of Lewis "Retro Football" (PES5/6) on youtube for quite some time now and i learned, that the right formation is a BIG part of success! I underestimated this very, very much... But it's not that complicated as it sounds ;)

If you play with the defaults, the right formation and a decent striker in the transfer window should get you going.

Since PES 6 is kinda like PES 2008 i give you his formation setup:

Starting from behind:

He had the biggest troubles playing his true and tested formation from PES 5 - or any more traditional system with 4 defenders (2 CB + 2 Wing). He was failing miserably to say the least...

You can really learn from watching his season 1 of PES 6!

Thanks for the tips i have been changing my formation quite a bit. I am currently playing boring 4-4-2, with one, DMF, one CMF, and two SMF’s.

@geeeeee Is that Shane Long's all time career goals there? :D

Have you signed anyone this pre season in your save? I forgot what you were doing about picking up any Free agents. With other transfers you're only buying from clubs ranked below you and only selling to clubs who make an offer for your players if they are higher ranked, right? I really like that idea.

Heh yes and Long scored the other day in real life. Maybe he is reading these posts and it spured him on.

Regarding signings, i am not using any strict rules but I do try to keep it realistic. So far i have signed the winger Ollie Watkins and he has been a bit disappointing if i’m honest. I keep changing him from WF to SMF to CF but he just isn’t performing consitently. I like it though because it adds another dimension to the game. Do i pick him who is better regarding stats ahead of Huylens, who is playing much better?

Also i bought Jemal Lewis, a LB but Ruskins is improving quite a bit and is keeping him out.

Shockingly i had to let Minanda go because he was another that hasnt done enough in my first 2 seasons.

And yes i will only buy from clubs lower or realistic ‘no club’ players. But if a team comes in that are higher then i will sell him. Maybe do a loyalty dice roll or something if it’s a player that has been with us for a while.

At the moment i only have a few players that are ranked D. It would be good to see what happens if they go up to C and see what teams come in.

My question now is how do I get @geeeeee 's OF into the game and how does it save progress or rather where? Does it save into one of the pcsx2 folders?

Any joy matt?

So far season 3 has been quite good. After 5 games we are second placed below Swansea. Having some really good tight games. It’s great now that my defenders are improving and they are able to head the ball better. There are so many fist pumping moments. There was one moment playing against Watford when their striker chipped Ivarov but Ceciu just managed to get back in time to clear it off the line.

This game is so much better than the new games. Yes it takes some imagination sometimes but it is giving me that old feeling again.

I was thinking that eventually, maybe next year, i will edit a default OF and update it without any classic teams or classic players being unlocked. I want to see if it adds even more realism.

PES is back! Retro style!

I've ordered PES 2008 for the PC (I know) mostly out of morbid curiosity, mostly because i wanna do YT series at some point, but i'm trying to find a decent patch featuring the 07/08 rosters and can't for the life of me find a working link to anything.

Such is the life of a retro PES enthusiast, once a new game released, the predecessor is swiftly forgotten and lost to the sands of time :(

@MafiaMurderBag I noticed on the PS PES 2008 that it had an option to load a PES6 OF, or at least I think I saw that. I wonder if that ever worked? If it did and assuming it's on the PC version as well (and let's be honest that's hardly a given with Konami!) then maybe you could find a pes6 07/08 OF and load it into PES 2008?

@geeeeee I'm going to take a look today to see if I can figure that out, I'm hoping so and then I can start a ML with your file on there. :D I've no idea how the saved games will work either at this stage. All I've done so far was the other night when I had 2-3 games with the default option file. It felt like the moment I was expecting after PES6 that I never got due to the PC version of 2008!

Looks like Canvey are starting to show some promise :) Those moments are great and are maybe part of that almost intangible thing that the retro pes's have and the new one's just don't seem to.

Did you see that incredible stat for Shane Long? His last four goals have come for four different managers :LMAO:

@mattmid No unfortunately it wouldn't as PES 2008 PC is based off the PS3/360 version so it was the first next gen PES to actually have an edit mode! If you remember, PES 6 on the 360 was the first new gen PES, but was so stripped back compared to the PS2 it didn't even have an edit mode.

I'm quite sure your game doesn't recognise the option file because this one is based on PES 2008 US version. I guess you have PES 2008 Europe version, just try to download the US iso. US version has english/french/spanish langage FYI.[/QUOTE]
My God, that pitch. Don't know what they smoked at the times when they decided to put it in.

In my country we used to call it "potato field"..

Proper old school football at the Cuito Cuanavale, right @mattmid mate. ;) Getting three points in an away league fixture there against Peloponnesos with Harts and Samaras playing up front for them was always a true test of your Master League title credentials. Think playing Big Sam era Bolton Wanderers on a rutted rugby pitch with a slope at one end and you get the true feeling of football the way it used to be.

PES 2 - PES 6 era......:LOVE::LOVE::LOVE:

@geeeeee: Yes, it's an odd feature but you can only view the rest of the D1 leagues when you yourself get promoted to the D1.

I'm a bit sad that you sold King Minanda, come on man. He's like part-time gorgeous-haired-classic-nº-10, part-time assistant manager on the pitch. The King's stats or performances don't matter; his kingdom is a gift from the gods, therefore his presence alone is a positive, irreplaceable influence on the squad.

On a more serious note, I'll always remember the case of Ordaz on my PES08 PS2 save, he was always disappointing on the first 7 seasons, Gutierrez scored much more goals and had much more influence on the pitch. Then, on the 8th season, when he was already starting his stats decline, he "decides" to become a goal scoring machine.
Also, the first newgen I bought (CB named Jackson) was supposed to be our defensive rock at age 18 - at that age he already had much better stats than Jaric, Libermann, Valeny, etc. - but shockingly, on the first 2 seasons he didn't play better than any of those players. From the 3rd season onwards, he improved his game massively and became the go-to-guy on our defense until the very end of the save.
Of course, due to the restrictions of the ML challenge I was playing I had no choice but to believe on these players, as I couldn't sell or buy any, but it showed me that regardless of stats/stats development over the years, some players will take some time to "click" and finally play at the level you expect them to.

Regarding Huylens, the guy was like 38 and still a super-sub type of player, always managed to score important goals. Can't do much else but score tap-ins, but he scores anyway.

Does anyone know if you have to unlock Classic player and teams BEFORE you start a ML for them to show up for transfer or whether you can do it mid-ML?

I'm a few season in on PS2 PES 2008 and have just unlocked all the Classic teams and players in the PES Shop but I can't see them in my ML transfer market. I thought they were added immediately but maybe not. It's been while!

@WhoAteMeDinner Welcome back Mr Dinner :)) Are you still on the same ML - whereabouts are your team now?

Bolton on a cold, wet, Tuesday night in January, ball touching the clouds as it's hoofed from back to front for Kevin Davies, to hold the ball up, or win a header, despite being half the size of the centre back and being invaluable to the team despite his apparent lack of any real ability to play at that level.

@reinelt97 Hopefully someone else will have a definitive answer for you but I wonder if it will 'kick in' at the next transfer window if you've only just turned it on?

Back
Top Bottom