The referee thread: discuss referees and their decisions

Wigan vs Newcastle, ref didn't see it so it wasnt even a free kick, let alone a card. To be fair the ref's view was blocked, but I've no idea why the linesman didnt spot it.

Yeah he will get a ban because the ref didn't see it.

Martinez defending it is a bit too much. I understand a manager saying that 'it wasn't intentional' and 'they are not that type of person' etc

But to say that it doesn't deserve retrospective punishment is a bit much and trying to justify the challenge.

He made a mistake with a reckless challenge that severely injured the other player. He needs to be punished for it, full stop.

Totally agree with your post Bobby.
That was a shocking foul.
Why do manager keep defending the undefendable ?

I think Martinez is pointing out the fact his side don't get lucky breaks (no pun in tented). To foul a player and not get book to score a clear handball and win. This don't happen to Wigan , they get foul and no one get book and their goals are disallow when it was a perfect goal.

I lost a lot of respect for Martinez last season after one of the United games - he basically spoke entirely about some decision that happened in between the first and second goals - I believe Wigan should have had a penalty. His entire post match was focussed on that one moment, and how Wigan never get anything against big teams, an examples of other times they should have had penalties.

Wigan lost 5-0. No mention of his teams lack of organisation, fight or defending. Just the one incident.

Not getting a penalty when 1-0 down makes a big difference.

Not in the 20th minute in a match where anyone who saw it would have thought your team had 9 players. Seriously, it was ridiculous. The reporter tried to ask other things, but it was the only thing he talked about.

It's not like this was an 89th minute handball for the winning goal.

We'll never know.
What do you think about the Vidic push in the Reading match ?

About the Nastrasic arm against Fellaini, people here were saying that this should have been an indirect free kick. That should be a penalty...the only foul in the box that isn't a penalty is when the GK handles a back pass from one of his defenders.

We'll never know.
What do you think about the Vidic push in the Reading match ?

About the Nastrasic arm against Fellaini, people here were saying that this should have been an indirect free kick. That should be a penalty...the only foul in the box that isn't a penalty is when the GK handles a back pass from one of his defenders.

I thought it was a penalty on Vidic, relatively soft but still a penalty.

I can see why it wasn't given though, the two players had just been all over each other during the corner a split second earlier. As I said in the United thread, FIFA really need to do something about corners. The current policy seems to be: 99% of the time you can do anything you want during a corner and we'll let it go, but 1% of the time we'll randomly call a foul.

I hate this whole blocking the keeper thing. It is just cheating. The player blocking the keeper is not going for the ball, they're deliberately preventing another player from getting there. If an outfield player just blocked off another outfield player in the middle of the pitch, it's a foul.

Similarly, the shirt grabbing, hair grabbing, hugging, pushing, shoving, blocking and so forth on corners is completely ignored, but if you so much as breath on a forward with the ball in the open field it's a foul.

I agree that Fifa should do something on corners, but also on free kicks. Did you watched what Taylor did to Mignolet just before a Cabaye free kick.
Cabaye scored and it was a beauty, IMO what Taylor did wasn't necessary, it would have been a goal without that, but IMO players can't disturb GK's like that.

Looks to me like the Wigan player is attempting to clear the ball up the wing with the inside of his foot and is guilty of merely misreading the bounce. Doesn't look malicious but the colliision is nasty all the same

It looks more nasty to me, but that is subjective.
The NEwcastle player has a very serious knee injury. This could have ended in a carreer ending injury. I can understand, he didn't see it and the ball ended up "logically" if the Wigan player had made ball contact.

I don't understand the linesman who must have seen this...

A silly rule, indeed.
It doesn't matter if Mc Manaman did it on purpose or not, he should get a ban for at least 4 or 5 matches. What he did was very dangerous.
I don't want to make a vilain out of him, but i really don't understand the FA in this case. Players should be protected, even post factum. Not sanctioning tackles like this is "inviting" (and this is an exageration) other players to be reckless (or is it wreckless, i'm not sure).

That's disgraceful. F*cking FA.

If an official saw that challenge and didn't make it known during the match he deserves immediate demotion.

Bwhahaha, so MacNanaman receives no punishment for breaking a Newcastle player with a horror challenge, but don't worry the FA have been earning their lunch - they've banned Wilfried Zaha for a match for sticking his middle finger up at Leeds fans.

Got those priorities sorted right out then, don't they?

It's a mistake to compare both facts beach, IMO players should not insult opposing fans. They should act like professionals.

But of course there is something seriously wrong if a tackle like that isn't punished at all. I agree with you on that.

Annoying how people judge the severity of something based on the outcome. Mcmanaman expected the ball to bounce higher, as do I when watching the replay. An unfortunate accident occurs and people are calling for specially tailored lengthy bans. It's nonsense.

It's blame culture, there's always got to be someone punished - we love a good villain. Saw the same thing when De Jong broke Ben Arfa's ankle, even tho it was a fair tackle - an excellent tackle infact.

I don't remember the De Jong tackle, but you can excuse anything with theexplanation you give: "the driver expected the childeren not to cross the road..."

I know i'm exagerating. I bet you won't like this, but only English football people make this reasonings. On the continent this is a dark, dark red card...

Arseblog today did a good post on the FA today in the wake of the Mcmanaman foul.

http://arseblog.com/2013/03/mcmanaman-foul-awful-but-the-fa-are-the-real-villains/

I would bet all of my money if the Newcastle players leg was broken in two, then Mcmanaman would have been sent off/punished. It shouldn't have to come to that, dangerous play needs to be punished no matter what.

It doesn't matter if the ball bounced awkwardly etc the way he went into it left no room for mistake and was dangerous and injured the other player badly.

I can't understand how a tackle can be excellent... If you break someone's ankle?

Surely an excellent tackle is one where you get the ball cleanly and that's it?

Seems the kid, mcmanaman, has previous from what I've read. He's thrown himself into a tackle and done thee same to others... Like they say... A forwards tackle. Although this was just a pathetic high lunge. Seeing Martinez claim he's never done it before shows he's clueless and just driveling the same old same old. Not even a hint of concern from him or the team.

I did laugh at that idiot owner Dave whelan saying the tackle was clean and when asked about his career ending injury he was all "it just happens, I've got no ill feeling etc". The stupid old bastard was asked the same question a few years back and was still ranting about how the guy missed the ball and was obviously aiming for him.

I usually root for Wigan each year, hoping they stay up again. But after their behaviour/attitude I'd be more than happy to see them relegated now and then ultimately dissolve into nothing.

On the subject of refs. It seems insane they can re referee certain situations like removing a red card. But won't re referee others claiming FIFA impose the rule, and now saying its their own rule and claiming it undermines referees.
How can they do it for one thing but not another without contradicting themselves?

Idiots.

Last edited:
I can't say I'm surprised by the FA's stance on this one. For whatever reason their fear of FIFA trumps any sense of duty to protect players. God knows why, given FIFA just chose to give the World Cup to a f*cking desert over the country where the sport was first formally played. But anyway, that seems to be the issue.

I've been trying to get my head around the FA's logic, and I will give them two things here:

1. They are consistent. The rule is what it is, and they've stuck by it, despite the public outcry. I actually appreciate this - because as I said when the whole Wayne Rooney does worst thing ever on a football pitch to Wigan player - you can't let the media control the FA's agenda. Whether or not an incident is reviewed by football's judiciary shouldn't be determined by the number of back pages used or replays on Match of the Day. It has to be above that. And in this case it has been.

2. I kind of see the logic of not giving referee's a 'get out of jail' card in the form of retrospective punishment. Say, for example, there's a match this week involving Wigan and QPR. And Mr. MacManaman does another knee breaker, but the ref can't quite see it. So he thinks alright, I didn't see it, I'll let the FA sort it out after the match. So MacManaman stays on, Wigan win, damaging QPR's promotion hopes.

What makes it even worse is that THEN the FA review and give him a 3 match ban, and imagine if Wigan's next match is against Reading. Then QPR have been punished during their match with Wigan, and then again by giving Reading an advantage.

Anyway, we all know the solution to a better sport is to just enable a 4th official to have an iPad and a microphone. Simples.

I don't remember the De Jong tackle, but you can excuse anything with theexplanation you give: "the driver expected the childeren not to cross the road..."

I know i'm exagerating. I bet you won't like this, but only English football people make this reasonings. On the continent this is a dark, dark red card...

I'm not saying that he shouldn't have been sent off. He misjudged the situation and committed a foul. Red card. But talk of giving him special bans is nonsense. It wasn't a Roy Keane or Ben Thatcher-esque assault

It's fascinating, in the Croatia v Serbia match, there were almost 50 fouls, yet fewer yellows (and no reds) than the United v. Madrid match. Same official.

Speaking of which, in an admittedly unimportant match against San Marino the near side linesman has had two decisions in the first half:

1. The keeper clearly, I mean blatantly grabbed the ball outside the area. The clue is that both feet are on the line, and he reaches out. So clear. No call.

2. Gives an offside against Ashley Young or Defoe (can't tell) when both were played on by at least 3 yards by a San Marino full back - on the linesman side.

I mean, it's just incredible. This is the guy's profession. If I did that poorly in my job I'd be fired on the spot.

Don't fotget that we see the match from an entirely different (and much better) perspective.

It's fascinating, in the Croatia v Serbia match, there were almost 50 fouls, yet fewer yellows (and no reds) than the United v. Madrid match. Same official.

oh man im tired of you still with same old shit story , enough with that now find something different to talk about you're boring !

and now look that video Kanute post , you see that idiot ref don't even stop game for that dangerous game ? I still prefere red one of Nani that nothing like that one !

oh man im tired of you still with same old shit story , enough with that now find something different to talk about you're boring !

and now look that video Kanute post , you see that idiot ref don't even stop game for that dangerous game ? I still prefere red one of Nani that nothing like that one !

1. This is a thread about referees.
2. You read the first sentence of my post, but ignored the remaining 5, when I talked about something different. You're welcome.

Back
Top Bottom