The referee thread: discuss referees and their decisions

Walcott was wrongly ruled offside when he would've gone one-on-one, fital moment.

Another very poor refereeing performance, with another English team unfortunately at the receiving end of it. :P

Another very poor refereeing performance, with another English team unfortunately at the receiving end of it. :P

It wasn't that bad. Just very fussy, basically didn't allow any contact and in my opinion didn't manage the time very well.

Also started dishing out yellows like they were candy in the last 15 minutes, think he just got tired. Meant a lot of possible suspensions in next game (which is another ridiculous UEFA policy)

I think this refereeing was an absolute disgrace. All I'm asking is consistency and applying the letter of the law equally to everyone.

Today we had:

1) a high kick against Rosicky's ribs. If that was Nani he would have been sent off. Or not... because that was for Madrid, not Arsenal?

2) Manuel Neuer pulled a Swansea ballboy antic after Arsenal's 2nd goal. He held onto it and wasted a long time, sparking a skirmish between both sets of players. He caused all that singlehandedly with a distinct lack of sportsmanship. You wanna know who got booked in the confusion? Koscielny. NO YELLOW CARD for that prick who wasted time and winded everybody up.

3) A game full of subs, a free for all melee caused by Bayern's keeper and lots of play acting by Robben, Manzukic and Van Buyten... and the ref sees fit to give 3 minutes added time!!

What a fucking load of bollocks right there.

And Wenger better not say a words about it, otherwise he'll get his now customary 3-match ban. It's stuff like that which makes me sick of UEFA and its referees.
Wenger must have made some very powerful enemies inside UEFA. I can't help but feel Arsenal is persecuted.

fuckindisgrace.png

I agree that the ref had a very bad day at the office.
We virtually all agreed that Nani should have got nothing more than a yellow, then why a red for Javi Martinez' challenge ?

I'm a litle bit fed-up with all the pointless dicsussion about injury time. Arsena knew damn well that they had 90 minutes to score 3 goals, not two...They had a unique opportunity to eliminate an uncharacteristically weak Bayern and imo they just weren't good enough...
The ref was terrible, but hewas far from an home referee. Like i said about Nani's sending off: blaming the ref for Arsenal's elimiation is self-delusion, Arsenal weren't good enough. The better team went through.

I agree that the ref had a very bad day at the office.
We virtually all agreed that Nani should have got nothing more than a yellow, then why a red for Javi Martinez' challenge ?

I'm a litle bit fed-up with all the pointless dicsussion about injury time. Arsena knew damn well that they had 90 minutes to score 3 goals, not two...They had a unique opportunity to eliminate an uncharacteristically weak Bayern and imo they just weren't good enough...
The ref was terrible, but hewas far from an home referee. Like i said about Nani's sending off: blaming the ref for Arsenal's elimiation is self-delusion, Arsenal weren't good enough. The better team went through.

I thought the ref had a shit game and I don't think Arsenal are persecuted or anything like that. I think we just had the decisions go against us because we were playing away, it shouldn't happen, but it does, if the ref is weak, then they pander to the home side somewhat. It happens in our favour sometimes at the Emirates etc etc

But the one thing I disagree with is the Arsenal should have won it in the 90mins and not blame the ref etc.

Two great tackles were penalised one from Ramsey and Arteta, Arteta got a Yellow for his. This played into Bayerns hands and also the fact they were given free reign to waste as much time as they wanted, it gives the other team unfair advantage (Especially when you don't add the right amount of time at the end of the game). Also the extremely poor offside decision could have been vital.

If a ref has a bad game and one side become hampered by the ref, then I think people have every right to complain about it.

What I do agree with is that we shouldn't have been so crap in the first leg, that was our fault and we can only blame ourselves from our exit out of the Champions league.

Again I don't think British teams are persecuted etc, but if a ref has a bad game (Especially when one club get harsh treatment than the other) then a club can feel aggrieved and hard done by those actions.

Anyway bad refereeing is all part of the game and it's over now.

Bobby, i wasn't specifically referring to Arsenal when i spoke about clubs moaning about the amount of injury time, Ferguson does it every single match United don't win (i'm exagerating, but he does it quite often).

My opinion on this: a match lasts 90 minutes. People who are wasting time should get consistently a yellow and frankly those two or 3 minutes should not make the difference. I know that once in a while they do, but still...

Bobby, i wasn't specifically referring to Arsenal when i spoke about clubs moaning about the amount of injury time, Ferguson does it every single match United don't win (i'm exagerating, but he does it quite often).

My opinion on this: a match lasts 90 minutes. People who are wasting time should get consistently a yellow and frankly those two or 3 minutes should not make the difference. I know that once in a while they do, but still...

It only takes a second to score a goal :PP ;))

<Arteta make 13 fouls yesterday and didnt get any yellow...

btw. you cant blame ref... how do you score goal at home?

Ah my bad I was sure one of them got a yellow, I must be thinking of another incident....very strange. The two incidents were still pulled up for fouls when they were very good tackles.

I didn't blame the ref for us going out? did you read my post properly? I said that we were to blame for us going out because of our first leg performance, but you can say that the ref disadvantaged us in the second leg. That is all :DD

Bayern has every right to complain about that Podolski goal which wasn't a corner.
But yesterday's referee was very poor, systematically biased towards the home team. Forget about the Martinez high kick (I dont agree with straight reds for that, I was just pointing out how UEFA refs have no criteria).
But some decisions were very harsh on fouls given against Arsenal. It took a lot for the ref to give us some fouls. Giroud got a pretty bad one from Van Buyten and nothing was given.
That Walcott offiside was an honest mistake I'd like to think. Not easy to spot that.

Anyway, Arsenal has to look at themselves because the team got themselves into big trouble in the first match. When you concede 3 goals at home it's a shot on the foot.

The point remains though: UEFA referees continue to be horrendous so far.

there was 3 corners for Bayern in first half and they was not given, Arteta make 13 fouls and no yellow...

there was 3 corners for Bayern in first half and they was not given, Arteta make 13 fouls and no yellow...

Just because somebody makes 13 fouls does it mean they deserve a yellow? do you get yellow cards based on the number of fouls you do? or on the actual foul itself?

A couple of the 'fouls' I remember were not even fouls (as they were good challenges) and they were only the ones I can remember.

I also think we had at least one corner that didn't get given to us?

It doesn't matter anyway, we lost overall and that is all that matters at the end of the day.

IMO tbe Van Buyten-Giroud thing was as unintentional as the Nani/Arbeloa thing. Personally i would't have given a yellow to Van Buyten (oh and for the record, i'm not a big fan of Daniël and that is the understatement of the year).
To be honest, i'm not even sure it was a foul...

Everton vs Manchester City , refere's made some serious mistakes , one disallowed goal for Everton for offside which wasn't offside , and one Penalty not given to city , it was hand ball by Fellaini over 1 meter on box but refere give only free kick , also there could be a yellow card for Muller for a bad trackle right after red card but ref didnt do anything , about red I think it was right , stupid challange by Pienar !

heres screen shot for Fellaini handball

111111ue.png

The thing is, ref's decisions favoured Man City in this game but in spite of this fact, the situation with Fellaini's handball would be the most covered one by the media.

The obvious fact though is that the refs are utter, utter crap now, and something must be done.

Last edited:
The thing is, the ref saw Fellaini's handball, but he saw a handball coming from Osman as well, and he gave it, although it didn't occur according to the replays.
So actually the problem is that the ref saw something that didn't happen.

Everton should have got a penalty in the first half, when Nastasic blocked Fellaini with his arms...

Everton should have got a penalty in the first half, when Nastasic blocked Fellaini with his arms...
More like an indirect free kick but add that to the disallowed goal and the not-given punishment for Milner and there you have it.

Last edited:
The obvious fact though is that the refs are utter, utter crap now, and something must be done.

I completely agree. But than, can it be that nowdays there are much more camera angles and everyone can access everything on the internet, so there is more chance that something will be spotted.

Although, there is really no class referees like Collina was for example.

They should only broadcast games in standard def and not show any replays of controversial situations. Problem solved. If we can't see it either..it didn't happen :PIRATE:

yeah. But than big TV and News companies would soon found themselves without money because controversy is what sells those days

Back
Top Bottom