The Postal Strike...

Chris Davies

Chief PESsimist
Staff
14 May 2003
UK
Tranmere Rovers
OH THANK FUCK.

An agreement that could lead to an end to strike action by postal workers has been reached.

The breakthrough came after marathon talks between the Royal Mail and the Communication Workers' Union at the TUC in London.

Details are yet to be announced, but it is hoped the deal will end the dispute, which centres on pay, pensions and flexible working.

Don't want to upset any post workers on here but our postmen are pants... mail goes missing or to wrong address on a regular basis, it's never the same person for more than a few weeks.. to top it off they have cut back on deliveries and are still wanting more money... little sympathy from me I'm afraid... mind you don't get me started on Hospitals..;)

• Staff
I feel the same, I've had several things go missing, and what really pisses me off... Five years ago we got our first delivery shortly after 9am (and then a second delivery later on in the day). Now we only see a postman once, and we're lucky if we get to see the fucker before noon (we had a delivery at 3pm a few weeks ago, and you're asking for more money you lazy fucker??).

EDIT: Oh crap, just read on BBC News that it's going to go to a vote of the 130,000 members. A) Half of them will want even more money, I bet... B) I wonder how long it will take for the vote to happen, here was me thinking we'd avoid the strikes next week...

Last edited:
Same ere Jack. Have been getting deliveries at 2-3pm. Things going missing, post being dropped in having already been opened etc. Damaged parcels.

I feel the same, I've had several things go missing, and what really pisses me off... Five years ago we got our first delivery shortly after 9am (and then a second delivery later on in the day). Now we only see a postman once, and we're lucky if we get to see the fucker before noon (we had a delivery at 3pm a few weeks ago, and you're asking for more money you lazy fucker??).

EDIT: Oh crap, just read on BBC News that it's going to go to a vote of the 130,000 members. A) Half of them will want even more money, I bet... B) I wonder how long it will take for the vote to happen, here was me thinking we'd avoid the strikes next week...

Right then you bunch of fuckwit students, lets get started eh....

first off we (there's a clue there...) ship 82 million items a DAY and we lose 1 million a year thats 0.00005%. And how many of them do you think were wrongly addressed? Or not addressed, or in illegible Granny scrawl?

second, if you got a fucking job you'd be out at work so it wouldn't matter whether we (another clue) deliver at 9am or 4pm, you should be out working instead of sponging off us tax payers, and wanking over each others face book friends lists....

what's more (i'm just a postie I can't count over 2...)we also deliver free red rubber bands to most doorsteps these days

And I know we all know how many items we get late, but how many do you get on time? according to indepndant research we deliver 9.5/10 first class item the next day.

And finally, have you seen our shitty uniforms....we look like twats - for a living.....

Oh and just because they only deliver once, doesn't mean they do less hours, they just do more sorting as the rounds are bigger.....
having said that, I know what you mean, we are a bit shit....

The strikes this week should be called off if the union exec accepts the proposals (and they negotiated it, so they should) Then it'll go to a ballot, and if the NEC recommend it ( and they negotiated it, so they should) it will be passed - the posties ( I'm actually not a real postie, i'm in the back office) have lost too much money on strike to want to do anymore before Xmas....

Last edited:
  • Staff
LOL, no offence intended, it's just extremely frustrating. I've been waiting on four packages for a week now, and yes you're right most first class stuff is delivered next-day but when it's not, it's not a day or two late, it's a week late or longer. Where the hell do the packages disappear to?

(And I have a draw full of red rubber bands, they come in handy - you should see our road on a Monday morning, it's like it's rained red rubber bands for ten minutes :D)

EDIT: Hold up, 82 million items a day? :|

LOL, no offence intended, it's just extremely frustrating. I've been waiting on four packages for a week now, and yes you're right most first class stuff is delivered next-day but when it's not, it's not a day or two late, it's a week late or longer. Where the hell do the packages disappear to?

(And I have a draw full of red rubber bands, they come in handy - you should see our road on a Monday morning, it's like it's rained red rubber bands for ten minutes :D)

EDIT: Hold up, 82 million items a day? :|

Yes.... a day. and a letter from cornwall to edinburgh costs half the price of a mars bar FFS

and no offence taken. lost packages go to a massive warehouse in belfast, where we try to send them back if a return address is on them ( the ones that don't end up in postmen's kids stockings at xmas)

Last edited:
We get LOADS of stuff late, Recorded Delivery especially. RD takes longer than first class does, and has been known to take between 1-2 weeks from date of sending to arrive. I don't live in the countryside either, the posties (whichever one it is at the time) know where we live.

And that's when they can be arsed delivering. A lot of times they've not even bothered to walk down the path to our house, they leave a note in the mailbox saying they tried to deliver but nobody was there (which is blatantly a lie).

It's been nearly two weeks now since we've had post because the Liverpool staff are a bunch of idle bastards and are penny-grabbing while the vast majority of the country are getting on with things. Scousers eh? Typical.

I said it in the PGR4 thread and I'll say it again, I was shocked to see several posties about the area today but NOT ONE came up our road. It's been a week with no post now, and I'm waiting on four packages. I genuinely have sympathy but when the unofficial strikes start and you've been waiting for a week for ANYTHING, it's hard to support them. I could kill the postman who hasn't come to our road for a week, I really could. I hope the fucker's been fired.

lost packages go to a massive warehouse in belfast, where we try to send them back if a return address is on them ( the ones that don't end up in postmen's kids stockings at xmas)

Now i was beginning to think you were not a real Postie, until you said that... I reckon if you pocketed all your red laggies that would save a few grand a year, we have a squirrel that collects any we don't pick up, don't know what the hell it's doing with them!

I have a pair of NFL tickets on the way to me for a match next week Sunday, paid £130 for them. If these knobs at Liverpool don't call of these "wildcat" strikes and get their arses in gear, and I miss the match because I don't receive my tickets ... well there'll be trouble.

Woah woah woah. Hold on.

HOLD THE FUCK ON.

BBC NEWS said:
A simple majority would be required to approve the deal, and the results would be declared one month later.

So I'm not going to get any post for a month, basically. Same goes for you Snoop, you can kiss those tickets goodbye.

All my sympathy has gone. Death to the postmen (or at least the ones on these "wildcat", illegal, irresponsible, ridiculous, infuriating strikes).

Just thought, the wildcat strikes are for something different than pay. They're striking over the hours of work. Everyone else has gone back to work, by that I mean the staff who were striking over pay. So really, those lazy bastards at Liverpool should get back to work. One way or another, they need to sort something regarding hours because I want my tickets.

People in situations like yourselves should be able to do something. It's a national service, it's an essential service, it should be safeguarded from shit like this ever happening. They've been offered a deal so why not get your arse to work while it's considered?

I have no problem with the rest of the country where it's back to normal, it's the wankers in Liverpool that need sorting out. What they're doing is illegal and if they want sympathy for their cause then they need to sort themselves out, because at the minute all I want to do is shoot them in the face.

Yeah, her as well. I used to love digestives and milk at school breaks, fucking bitch.

Did you guys know the blokes who paint lines in the road get around 50k a year...

Tube drivers get 35k and only work 7 days a fortnight.

Compared to posties on 18k
And thing in Liverpool is cos the managers decided to change the postmens shifts, start and finish times whle they were on strike,

I have a pair of NFL tickets on the way to me for a match next week Sunday, paid £130 for them. If these knobs at Liverpool don't call of these "wildcat" strikes and get their arses in gear, and I miss the match because I don't receive my tickets ... well there'll be trouble.

any tracking number? I'll see what I can do if you PM me.

Don't trust him Snoop, he's going to grab the package and then sell the tickets for £200 on eBay :mryellow:

As I said, I have no problem with the official strikes (well I do but I can understand it, put it like that). They deserve more money. But these "wildcat" strikes are completely wrong and the guys doing that don't deserve more money, I'm afraid (in my opinion, obviously). It's disgraceful. They are fucking things up for a lot of people, it is illegal, and it is unjustified (so they changed your shift times, fucking hell, if everyone went on strike every time that happened the country would be in chaos, I have no respect for these cunts).

Last edited:
I agree with JB, the wildcat strikes are completely out-of-order and they've just jumped on the bandwagon. Knobs.

Freddy, is it worth my Dad going to the sorting office to ask if he can pick it up from there?

:lol: Good thread guys! We went for a few days without post down here in Kent, think all is back to normal now though.

Surely these postmen/women knew the salary they would be on before accepting the job? :roll:

I agree with JB, the wildcat strikes are completely out-of-order and they've just jumped on the bandwagon. Knobs.

Freddy, is it worth my Dad going to the sorting office to ask if he can pick it up from there?

It can't hurt - most of our lads are really helpful, and if you explain the situation I'm sure they'll do all they can. As I said, I'm happy to try and help if you let me know the details.

:lol: Good thread guys! We went for a few days without post down here in Kent, think all is back to normal now though.

Surely these postmen/women knew the salary they would be on before accepting the job? :roll:

They did know the salary, and the shift patterns and the start finish time, and the days of the week they had to work, now these are all being changed withtout any consultation or negotiation. THAT is what all the strikes are about NOT money.

The guys in liverpool were being asked (no sorry TOLD) to finish earlier every day, then work Saturday afternoons to make up the time....

The Communication Workers' Union (CWU) has called off strike action which had been set for later this week.

The suspension comes as the union's executive continues talks on whether to accept a Royal Mail deal.

The CWU must decide whether or not to recommend the offer, which is aimed at resolving a long-running row over pay, jobs and pensions.

An announcement is expected on Tuesday on whether the CWU will accept Royal Mail's 6.9% pay rise over two years.

The union had plans for strikes to be carried out in various parts of the country on different days this week.

But CWU's failure to serve the notice correctly meant strikes planned for Monday and Tuesday had to be called off following a Royal Mail injunction, explained a union representative. Other strikes could still take place.

Freddy, if I PM'd you the tracking number, what do you think you could do with it? Could you arrange for me to pick it up from the sorting office or something?

Back
Top Bottom