The PC Building Thread

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by Scutch, 8 October 2011.

1. bsmaff

bsmaff International

11 August 2003
    Welwyn Garden
    Exeter City
    I will see what the difference is in performance of the overclock when I get home and build the machine tonight.

The Gigabyte got 5.0GHz stable at 1.325V, but wouldn't go any higher at all.
    Was also very difficult to get the CPU overclocked using an Adaptive voltage, which is really easy to do on an ASUS.

I am hoping with the ASUS will be able to overclock to either 5.2 or 5.3, but I might be unlucky and not won the silicon lottery.

2. bsmaff

bsmaff International

11 August 2003
    Welwyn Garden
    Exeter City
    So tested the motherboard last night and now have a 5.2Ghz stable overclock on the ASUS board using an Adaptive voltage.
    Not tried 5.3Ghz yet but given the voltage is still not bad I reckon I could get to 5.3.

The strange thing as well is the CPU also runs 10c colder on the ASUS motherboard than the Gigabyte, which is strange consider both had the same amount of thermal paste.

So far it is a much superior board for overclocking and so much easier to use and customise the overclock.
    The Gigabyte has so many overclocking options and non are necessary.

3. bsmaff

bsmaff International

11 August 2003
    Welwyn Garden
    Exeter City
    Just tried Novabench on my i9-9900K, not overclocked yet.

[​IMG]

4. Coopz

Coopz Retired Footballer

27 April 2002
    I think I need to upgrade my old OC'ed i5 3570k and MSI Z68 mobo soon judging by what you lot are posting lol.

I might have to start scouting the second-hand market again to see what I can get becuase i cant bring myself to pay £250-300 just for a processor haha

5. bsmaff

bsmaff International

11 August 2003
    Welwyn Garden
    Exeter City
    How much you looking to spend?

But TBH you wouldn't be getting that much more performance than your current CPU for £150

Gaming on PC is more about GPU than CPU, so I would consider upgrading your GPU before getting a better processor.

6. Coopz

Coopz Retired Footballer

27 April 2002
    I'm a cheapskate so only about £200 for a processor and mobo lol. I should be able to get about £120 from my CPU, Mobo and Ram though so I'm only spending 80 quid.

I was thinking of a Ryzen 2600 because someone posted this when I was searching around and it seemed like it was a worthy step up from mine.

I guess my 1070 would bottleneck it though as they are using a 1080ti for testing.

7. bsmaff

bsmaff International

11 August 2003
    Welwyn Garden
    Exeter City
    The AMD processors are now so much better than Intel at bang per buck, it is the best solution on a budget.

8. bsmaff

bsmaff International

11 August 2003
    Welwyn Garden
    Exeter City
    Does anyone here own a Ryzen processor?

I bought a key for Division 2 on eBay and I need to use the AMD verification app to make sure my system has a Ryzen to get the final activation key for Uplay.

So could someone do me what is probably a 5 minute favour?

9. Placebo

Placebo Ԁlɐɔǝqo

3 May 2003
    La Manga Del Mar Menor, Spain.
    Sheffield Wednesday
    Me, me, pick me! ;)

10. rojofa

rojofa League 2

15 September 2017
    I bought an AMD Vega GPU which included a copy of The Division 2 (along with Resident Evil 2 and DmC 5) but the keys are not getting revealed until the release dates.

I'm guessing it's a seperate offer for Ryzen so I probably can't help as I'm still on an i7 4790k.

11. mvs2k9

mvs2k9 Mia san Mia

22 July 2010
    Viet Nam
    FC Bayern München
    @bsmaff I consider choosing water cooler between AIO & Custom. Custom look very beauty but not easy to building also the price isn't cheap especially in my country. After that I like 2 custom water cooler: Corsair H150i or H110 in your signature vs Thermaltake Floe Riing 360 RGB ( i like this more than H150i because of RGB :D). I want to ask you about life expectancy : 4-5 years or longer or shorter & really need change coolant after long time using it or not.

12. bsmaff

bsmaff International

11 August 2003
    Welwyn Garden
    Exeter City
    I use a water cooler at the moment, I have an old corsair one and not 100% sure on the model number.

But apart from that I don't have any experience with them TBH, they are just something thought I would try as they give marginally better cooling than top air coolers.

Personally they are something I can't recommend, the noise levels for me are just not worth the extra 5c cooling.
    If I was buying now I certainly would not be buying a water cooler, unless they have made massive improvements on the volume of the radiator and fans.

Last edited: 7 March 2019
  13. mvs2k9

mvs2k9 Mia san Mia

22 July 2010
    Viet Nam
    FC Bayern München
    How about temp when use water cooler & not use with your specs? It's small disparity or tiny. I don't know the reason why people when buy new PC still prefer custom water cooling with high price: that's really necessary for decrease or only make look gorgeous? IMO of course custom water cooling so beautiful & amazing design: EWKB, XSPC, Bitspower ... but with this money must pay for them can upgrade other components like HDD, RAM or VGA.

14. bsmaff

bsmaff International

11 August 2003
    Welwyn Garden
    Exeter City
    Water cooling has it advantages.

The PC build looks such clean with a hidden rad and just two tubes going to the CPU, rather than such a massive big cooler.
    So people building machines probably prefer water coolers just because of the looks.

As I said though however, for me personally I don't have a side window so when my water cooler starts giving up I will buy a decent Noctua air cooler so my PC will be completely silent again.