The PC Building Thread

So I've got my new card and processor and both are brilliant so thanks for all the advice on what to get i'm very happy with them but i'm just wondering the best way to use the graphics card.

In "Manage 3D settings" in the Nvidia control panel should i change any of the global settings or should i just do all the graphical settings in game to get the best out of them?

If you bought an Nvidia card the best way is to use the Nvidia Geforce experience and click on the game and then click Optimise, it will now update the config files to use the best graphical settings for your machine.

I am going to be selling my PC components in a couple of weeks if someone is interested.

I will be selling my motherboad (ASUS Z87-PRO), Processor (Intel i7 4790K), RAM (4x4GB DDR3 Corsair Vengence), I will also potentially include a 250GB OCZ Vector SSD too, as will be upgrading to the new Kaby Lake 7700K, DDR 4 and potentially a new M2 SSD.

In regards to the processor it has been overclocked to 4.7GHz, if required I will leave the BIOS settings as is so the overclock should work on first boot.

So... that's it. I bought everything. Next week I'll be getting this:

MSI Enthuastic Gaming Intel Z170A LGA 1151 DDR4 USB 3.1 ATX Motherboard (Z170A Gaming M7)

51TeoxnXE4L._SX425_.jpg

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3200 C16 for DDR4 Systems - White

41k0l5loAyL._SX425_.jpg

Intel 7th Gen Intel Core Desktop Processor i7-7700K (BX80677I77700K)

51QxQUohVDL._SX425_.jpg

Cooler Master Hyper 612 Ver.2 - Silent CPU Air Cooler with 6 Direct Contact Heatpipes and Folding Fin Structure RR-H6V2-13PK-R1

81%2Bd50tMeKL._SY355_.jpg

With what I already have:

Sapphire Radeon Tri-x R9 290x 4gb Ddr5 Oc Gddr5

sapphire-r9-290-tri-x-oc-uefi-4gb-gddr5.jpg

With 2 current HDDs (one of 1 TB and 1 with 500GB).

Now all I need is a good full tower case. I want something spacey. I want something that will allow me to expand whenever I want. I don't know, add more HDDs. A Hydro cooling system. A bigger (or maybe even 2) VGAs. I'm planning to get the GTX 1080 later this year.

So if you have any suggestions for a good looking, not too expensive, spacey, case... I'm all ears!

You see I prefer game FPS Smoothness over Graphics when it comes to gaming. Looking to upgrade my PC this year.

Coming from using consoles for the most part of my gaming career i'm used to 30 FPS so its not a issue for me really.

But i must admit is does look great when its nice and smooth on a PC.

I'm loving this GTX 970.

All the games i've played so far have been maxed out and the DSR feature is brillaint.

I've seen many people on PC complains how worse 30 FPS looks on PC compared to Consoles. Here's a way to eliminate microstutters @ 30 FPS on PC (For Nvidia cards):

1) Turn OFF in game Vsync.
2) Force Vsync ON through drivers (set for each game specifically, do not use adaptive half refresh Vsunc).
3) Open Nvidia Inspector, set FPS limit to 30.5 for each game seperately.
4) Turn Tripple buffer ON.

The games will have consistent Frame times and won't suffer from microstutters. You might wanna turn of motion blur as well if you like to somewhat hide the gap between each frames to some extent. You can also reduce mouse sensitivity to slow down your camera speed.

Seriously, with games like Assasins Creed Unitiy that can't maintain steady 60 FPS on low settings even at 1440x900p, I was able to maintain stable 30 FPS at 3840x2160+ Everything maxed out+ FxAA [Instead of MSAA] and the game only dropped to 29 FPS rarely with 980 Ti.

It's better to play un-optimized games at stable 30 FPS at 60 Hz instead of unstable stuttery tear filled 40~50 FPS.

Also, make sure your refresh rate is 60Hz. For 144Hz, you gotta lock FPS to 36. Or if the game can maintain constant 48 FPS- then you can lock it to 48 FPS at 144Hz.

You should rather look for a monitor with 144Hz instead of 60Hz. Trust me it's a major difference. Rather go for a 1440p monitor with FreeSync/GSync instead of 4k with only 60Hz if you ask me.

Thanks for the replies. Both of you.

Could you please elaborate?

Thanks for the replies. Both of you.

Could you please elaborate?
Try to get G-sync [If yo have Nvidia GPU] or Free Sync [If you have AmD GPU].

Because its impossible to keep even a steady 90 FPS on modern games. All these variable FPS causes a rough microstuttery look at 144Hz. But G-sync prevents that.

The first question really is what is your budget?

Most PC gaming monitors which are any good are priced around £500 - £700.

It also seems that you are like me and holding out for 4K monitors to actually be half decent, my monitor is 1080P, 120HZ and 3d. I have been tempted loads of times to upgrade, but I am personally waiting for 4K monitors to become 100+hz and provide the quality of current 1440p gaming monitors.

I guess I'm willing to spend about 600 USD (US DOLLARS).

I was thinking about a 4K monitor because, eventually I'll end up getting the GTX 1080 11GB DDR5, and next year I'll also probably get some console which I was goin going to connect to the 4K monitor.

I have no idea what do 144Hz monitor offer, and why you guys are suggesting me to get one of those instead of a 4K one. Would love to know. Isn't 4K the future?.

Try to get G-sync [If yo have Nvidia GPU] or Free Sync [If you have AmD GPU].

Because its impossible to keep even a steady 90 FPS on modern games. All these variable FPS causes a rough microstuttery look at 144Hz. But G-sync prevents that.

What if I have a NVidia card and bought a FreeSync monitor (like an LG one)?.
It's not the case, but I would like to know what would happen.

What if I have a NVidia card and bought a FreeSync monitor (like an LG one)?.
It's not the case, but I would like to know what would happen.
Free Sync won't work in Nvidia GPUs and Gsync wont work on AmD GPUs, simple as that.

1440p 144hz = Fast paced games = Counter strike
4K 60hz = Beautiful games = GTAV

But where does that leave us? PES/FIFA players?
Don't we want a beautiful, detailed, vibrant game which can also be played flawlessly at the higher FPS rate the game can provide?.

I'm going crazy trying to find the best option, thinking ahead, with PES 2018 as the priority.

Guys, would a 980 TI Armour X2 be a worthwhile upgrade from a GTX 970?

I might try and part chop mine for one, I think it would cost me £150 or so to it, what do you think?

some videos that i've created recently about CPU's and GPU's

most are targeted to the budget PC builders

If you look at the comparison charts between the two - The 980Ti is about 50% faster than the 970

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1743?vs=1715

But the 980Ti is slightly slower than the GTX 1070 - The 1070 might be cheaper than the 980ti, but not looked.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1731?vs=1715

Cool nice one

I was looking for a site like that tbh, its a lot easier to see if its better FPS wise than all the jargon on the other sites I found lol

Oh yeah i forgot to add i was looking at the 1070 as well and it is around the same price maybe even a tad cheaper. It was just someone saying they would PartX for a lesser card that got me interested in the 980.

I think ill try and get the 1070. That should do me for a bit.

Last edited:
Cool nice one

I was looking for a site like that tbh, its a lot easier to see if its better FPS wise than all the jargon on the other sites I found lol

Oh yeah i forgot to add i was looking at the 1070 as well and it is around the same price maybe even a tad cheaper. It was just someone saying they would PartX for a lesser card that got me interested in the 980.

I think ill try and get the 1070. That should do me for a bit.

I upgraded from the 970 to the 1070 last year, and the 1070 in HD is capable of running most games maxed out in HD resolution and even in 1440p.

I didn't have much issues with the 970 as it ran most games in HIGH/Ultra settings in HD, as I have not upgraded my monitor yet as waiting for 4K monitors to become better priced.

I'm pushing my 970 to play 4K with mixed settings mostly Ultra and normally no AA and lowering the shadows to get 30 FPS, so a 980TI or 1070 would blow my mind lol

I might be able to get a 980TI for £60 if I sell my card, you think that's worth it or should I hold out for a 1070?

I'm pushing my 970 to play 4K with mixed settings mostly Ultra and normally no AA and lowering the shadows to get 30 FPS, so a 980TI or 1070 would blow my mind lol

I might be able to get a 980TI for £60 if I sell my card, you think that's worth it or should I hold out for a 1070?

There is pretty much no difference between a 1070 and 980ti, so if you can get a Ti for £60, then I would go for that option.

The 1070 would prob cost an additional £150-£200 on top of a 970, so the 980ti option is by far the better deal.

Just what I wanted to hear nice one :TU:

The only issue is that its an Asus GTX 980 Ti Poseidon Platinum which has a hybrid cooling system and one of the pipes has a leak so it can't water cool hence the price. It still run's on air without water cooling and I wouldn't use water cooling anyway but that's all that's putting me off.

What do you think for £220?

@bsmaff I've got a buyer for my 970 so it looks like I might be getting this 980 TI.

I could still do with a bit of convincing with the water block being broken though. They are going for £290-300 on eBay so am saving £80 but with it being half broke but still fully working is that saving worth it?

Back
Top Bottom