The PC Building Thread

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by Scutch, 8 October 2011.

1. bsmaff

bsmaff International

11 August 2003
    Welwyn Garden
    Exeter City
    Kaby Lake will be released during CES, but might not be available in decent quantities for a month or so after release.

I doubt I will be upgrading again this year till benchmarks are released as the 6700K actually performs worse than the 4790K which I have at the moment.

However it is getting to the stage where I want to an M2 SSD as they are quicker than standard SSD's and also want to move over to DDR4 eventually.

2. So you wouldn't advice me to get the i7 Skylake?. Which one would you recommend for a similar price?

3. bsmaff

bsmaff International

11 August 2003
    Welwyn Garden
    Exeter City
    I would wait at the moment till the real price and benchmarks of the 7700K are released.

4. Chris Davies

Chris Davies Chief PESsimist Staff

14 May 2003
    Tranmere Rovers
    Don't know if this helps, but, coincidentally, I read this on Eurogamer this morning...

Eurogamer - Intel Core i5 7600k Review

5. bsmaff

bsmaff International

11 August 2003
    Welwyn Garden
    Exeter City
    Unless the processor price is the same for the new Intel processors it looks like the Skylake CPU's will be fine.

Are you planning to buy it with the Water Cooler? Because if you aren't going to overclock I would recommend a silent Air cooler instead.. The noise levels of a water cooler aren't worth it

6. bsmaff

bsmaff International

11 August 2003
    Welwyn Garden
    Exeter City
  7. Coopz

Coopz Retired Footballer

27 April 2002
    Right im after a new graphics card now.

I should have just gone the whole hog the first time round and got a decent one.

Is the Radeon R9 280X still a worthing purchase?

It can be picked up for £90-120 now

8. Yeah, you are right.

However, I need to purchase it before the end of this month, since I'm in Argentina but I'm getting it through Amazon US and having it shipped to a friend's house. She'll be coming to Argentina by the end of this month, so she'll bring it to me. I'll be saving about 150 (US Dollars) if I do it that way instead of buying it directly in Argentina.

The only problem is.... as you said, it'll be harder for me to get the new Kaby Lake as it'll probably not drop till late February or so. By that time, my friend will already be here =(

9. I would love to overclock it but I haven't got the slightest idea on how to do that and I don't want to ruin the processor.

So I'll have to stick with default parameters and yes... will get it wiith the Silent Air Cooler.
    Would you please provide an Amazon link for me to get it with the cooler?

10. Coopz

Coopz Retired Footballer

27 April 2002
    Guys, what do you think of a MSI GTX 970 for £150?

is it worth it?

11. mahanddeem

mahanddeem Championship

11 October 2007
    Maryland
    No, for many reasons. 1060 is better (or AMD 470)

12. Coopz

Coopz Retired Footballer

27 April 2002
    But the but both of them are over £200!

13. Coopz

Coopz Retired Footballer

27 April 2002
    I've just been watching some comparison videos and it seems the 470 iant as good as the 970.

Even 480 as well looks to be on par with the 970.

I'm gonna be honest the 1060 doesn't look much better for the extra 60+ quid either.

But I'm just going off all these comparison videos lol

14. bsmaff

bsmaff International

11 August 2003
    Welwyn Garden
    Exeter City
    The GTX 1060 is roughly around 10% faster than the GTX 970.. I would not pay the extra £60-£100 more the GTX 1060 costs.

The only comparisons I could find is the GTX 970 is around 5% faster than the 470.
    But looking at the 970 v 480 they are very similar matched so would assume the 470 would actually perform less than the GTX 970.

However I would of thought the GTX 970 would of been available very cheap now 2nd hand - I sold mine for £130 when I bought my 1070. So if you look on eBay you might get one nearer £100 by now.

15. Coopz

Coopz Retired Footballer

27 April 2002
    Thanks

I've been looking for a week mate. They are going for £160-175 not including postage still on ebay.

I would have snapped your hand off at £130 lol. It seems its a card very much in demand still.

16. bsmaff

bsmaff International

11 August 2003
    Welwyn Garden
    Exeter City
    Suprised they are still going for the amounts they are.. I thought you could buy them new for £180.

They are still high in demand as they are probably the perfect card for 1080p gaming, you can run pretty much everything in 1080p with maxed out settings.

17. I'm very happy with my Radeon Tri-X R9 290x (got it last year), but after I'm done with all the upgrades I've been talking about in this page and the previous one, I'll probably go for the GTX 1080 (MSI or ASUS or GIGABYTE). Or similar. I'm not used to change the vga card every year, but I want to get something that won't fall short next year. Something that will allow me to keep getting and running the lastest games (2017-2018) running at ULTRA settings without having to worry.

I'm guessing that with 16GB RAM DDR4, an i7 6700K Skylake processor and a GTX 1080 I'll be able to do so. Don't know if I could with my current card.

18. Coopz

Coopz Retired Footballer

27 April 2002
    At least i'm getting a decent card then :)

Where did you see them at £180 mate?

19. bsmaff

bsmaff International

11 August 2003
    Welwyn Garden
    Exeter City
    It doesn't look like you can buy them new anymore.

I have seen them now and again on Hot UK Deals, where people have been listing them for the £170-£180 mark.. Looking now they are selling new for the same price as the 1060.

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/asu...-graphics-card-nvidia-172-currys-ebay-2519125

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/pny...tion-4-gb-graphics-card-170-03-1-only-2560349

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/asu...-graphics-card-174-91-currys-pc-world-2516653

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/nvi...yte-g1-gaming-174-99-delivered-ebuyer-2512379

Last edited: 11 January 2017
  20. Coopz

Coopz Retired Footballer

27 April 2002
    Nice one.

I'll be just my luck that a offer comes on next week haha.

I'm after a processor still as well, speedster suggested these i5 3550/3570/3570K.

I've seen of a lot of people using the 3570k for gaming. Do you have any recommendations to pair with a 970?

Last edited: 11 January 2017
  21. bsmaff

bsmaff International

11 August 2003
    Welwyn Garden
    Exeter City
    As far as processors go Ivybridge 3000 series are probably going to provide the best bang per buck at the moment, as suspect 2nd hand they go pretty cheap.

I would personally go with the i5 3570K or 4770K depending on the price of the chips, Skylake and Kaby Lake are probably both really expensive 2nd hand, so is the 4790K.

22. Coopz

Coopz Retired Footballer

27 April 2002
    Ok cool.

Second hand the 3570k's are £110-125 to buy now on eBay. I've watched a few in the auctions so I'll see what they are going for.

23. Coopz

Coopz Retired Footballer

27 April 2002
    So I've got my new card and processor and both are brilliant so thanks for all the advice on what to get i'm very happy with them but i'm just wondering the best way to use the graphics card.

In "Manage 3D settings" in the Nvidia control panel should i change any of the global settings or should i just do all the graphical settings in game to get the best out of them?

24. bsmaff

bsmaff International

11 August 2003
    Welwyn Garden
    Exeter City
    If you bought an Nvidia card the best way is to use the Nvidia Geforce experience and click on the game and then click Optimise, it will now update the config files to use the best graphical settings for your machine.

25. Coopz

Coopz Retired Footballer

27 April 2002
    OK thanks

26. bsmaff

bsmaff International

11 August 2003
    Welwyn Garden
    Exeter City
    I think the settings are changed to give a smooth 60FPS rather than looking amazing and giving say 30-40FPS.

27. bsmaff

bsmaff International

11 August 2003
    Welwyn Garden
    Exeter City
    I am going to be selling my PC components in a couple of weeks if someone is interested.

I will be selling my motherboad (ASUS Z87-PRO), Processor (Intel i7 4790K), RAM (4x4GB DDR3 Corsair Vengence), I will also potentially include a 250GB OCZ Vector SSD too, as will be upgrading to the new Kaby Lake 7700K, DDR 4 and potentially a new M2 SSD.

In regards to the processor it has been overclocked to 4.7GHz, if required I will leave the BIOS settings as is so the overclock should work on first boot.

28. So... that's it. I bought everything. Next week I'll be getting this:

MSI Enthuastic Gaming Intel Z170A LGA 1151 DDR4 USB 3.1 ATX Motherboard (Z170A Gaming M7)

[​IMG]

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3200 C16 for DDR4 Systems - White

[​IMG]

Intel 7th Gen Intel Core Desktop Processor i7-7700K (BX80677I77700K)

[​IMG]

Cooler Master Hyper 612 Ver.2 - Silent CPU Air Cooler with 6 Direct Contact Heatpipes and Folding Fin Structure RR-H6V2-13PK-R1

[​IMG]

With what I already have:

Sapphire Radeon Tri-x R9 290x 4gb Ddr5 Oc Gddr5

[​IMG]

With 2 current HDDs (one of 1 TB and 1 with 500GB).

Now all I need is a good full tower case. I want something spacey. I want something that will allow me to expand whenever I want. I don't know, add more HDDs. A Hydro cooling system. A bigger (or maybe even 2) VGAs. I'm planning to get the GTX 1080 later this year.

So if you have any suggestions for a good looking, not too expensive, spacey, case... I'm all ears!

29. Coopz

Coopz Retired Footballer

27 April 2002

I might just tweak the myself then. I'm a graphics whore and prefer graphics over FPS lol