The PC Building Thread

well under the circumstances

considering i have a 580w psu and don't want to spend upgrading that unless i have too (i am overclocking my i7 920 @ 4ghz already). the 6870 apparently uses less power and generates less heat but that is from what i have read, so who knows

although i guess it is slower than the gtx 560 it did cost me £141 delivered where as the gtx 560 would of cost me possibly £16 more plus i don't have a paypal or ebay account anymore so would of had to source a shop that could take credit card payment

and on top of that, i like things now so had to impulse buy so i can get my new toy tomorrow to try out this new gaming world

If its priced similar and is slightly faster then yea. otherwise no. You cant go wrong with either card.

Check out the skryim benchmarks. the 560TI is on par with your 6870 so IMO no mate, Getting a 560 over a 6870 has no significant benefits.

edit: same story with the new batman game http://www.hardocp.com/article/2011/12/05/batman_arkham_city_gameplay_performance_iq_review/5

When comparing gpu cards. neve go based on canned benchmarks i.e 3dmark scores or things similar to that. Always and i mean ALWAYS look for actual "in game" fps scores such as the one i linked u.

That site is my favourite site. doesnt tell or give any bullshit figures. they are 10/10 accurate with their fps values.

i had compared m 480gtx fps scores from that site and they all have matched or near enough same ballpark as [H]OCP .

they are a cracking website and forum.

Last edited:
Oh, and leave your Steam name in here too :)

Jonney, don't take offense when I don't reply on Steam by the way. I'm usually too engrossed in my game to stop and chat, especially with Skyrim. This goes as far as me dreaming about being in the Skyrim world a few times lately :(

Oh, and leave your Steam name in here too :)

Jonney, don't take offense when I don't reply on Steam by the way. I'm usually too engrossed in my game to stop and chat, especially with Skyrim. This goes as far as me dreaming about being in the Skyrim world a few times lately :(

haha i know what you mean. went to bed a bit late because of it and wife moaning at me in the process.

not a good game when your married! surprised your missus allows you to. probably ok because your still in "honeymoon" mode so i bet she dont mind :)

steam name is pinoy_soldier

She likes me sitting in my man cave, it lets her watch crap like Neighbours and America's Next Top Model without me commenting on all throughout :LOL:

She likes me sitting in my man cave, it lets her watch crap like Neighbours and America's Next Top Model without me commenting on all throughout :LOL:

haha nice one! Woman dont understand how lucky they are that there man plays games instead of going out with mates getting drunk and possibly cheating on them lol at least our missus can keep an eye on us lol

not even looked in to steam yet, suppose this is like xbox live?

Kinda, yeah. You have friends lists, you can do microphone chat (and text) over it, it has achievements in games, that kinda thing.

Most games are on Steam or Origin (EA's client) these days, even games you buy from high street shops can sometimes be redeemed on Steam.

One word of advice on Steam, try to hold out for the sales. A lot of games get up to 75% knocked off their price so you can pick them up for much cheaper if you're prepared to wait a couple of months for the next sale.

Then, when the sale starts, a TON of games go on sale. The number one rule here is to never buy a game unless it's on a daily deal. A game might be 33% off all throughout the sale, then it might be a daily special and be 75% off. If the game you want doesn't turn up in a daily deal then just buy it on the last day. But always wait for daily deals.

My Steam ID is Dazimus, by the way.

Like Dags says its xbox live done on the pc. And i want to add to dags comment about steam sale. One is about to start around boxing day.

Last year i got mass effect 2 for a fiver. Build your pc now and wait for the steam sales.

This is another place to get bargains http://www.cjs-cdkeys.com/products/FIFA-12-Origin-Digital-Download-%2d-CD-Key-SCANNED-IMAGE.html

19th December I believe it's starting. Save your pennies now, trust me. Christmas sales are BIG.

I wouldn't use CJS again really, always claiming they have stock then not having any for days. Claiming their Russian keys work fine and then needing to do all hacks to get it working.

I'd probably go with these: http://cdkeysdiscount.com/

cheers lads...

i will get an account setup and add you.

i will be using my turtlebeach x41 for my audio on the pc, has built in mic so hopefully will be able to use that on the xbox 360 controller that i use unless i have to use keyboard and mouse

Look at the top right of your Steam window, "Bitter's account" or something it'll say there.

so it was the username i created, that is my gamertag?

if so then it is "techmob"

i did change my name in the profile to "bitter rivals" so it sees me as bitter rivals now under changed name

can you try and add me because when i go to add friends it says some features will come available once i add games but wont let me add people

You're not showing up yet but my missus had the same thing, just download a demo I guess.

i have verified my email account maybe that will help

apparently you cannot add friends until you have bought something on steam but people who have bought something can add you...

i show up as bitter rivals

So does that work? how would they add that to "pirate" versions, aren't they just the the actual games being ripped and then uploaded?

Yes would probably be in a file somewhere if the .exe has been modified in some way then it runs the scorpion program.

The pirates will find a way, also jonney if you have FIFA on origin my username on there is bsmaff if you ever fancy a game.

my card is here..

have to go to my sons xmas play before i can install it etc

was tempted by mass effect 2 for £5 but not sure i would play it.

got saints row the third to try.

Do what Dags said.

Wait till the 19th of Dec when the steam sale starts you will find loads of games dirt cheap. Pretty much their whole catelog gets reduced by 75% you will get bargains galore.

Back
Top Bottom