The "Oranje" Dutch national team thread- Argentina - Ivory Coast - Serbia&Mont

pk9

Did you Say BOOTS - Pk
9 January 2004
in the boots thread
Lille, de oranje!
knvblogo0to.png

Hey fellow oranje supporters, the last thread was lost with the archive stuffs, as the draws kinda confirm that the world cup is almost officially open we need a thread to discuss the draws, friendlies on the way, players going and not going and general news regarding the the national team and the eredivisie!

1936187431.jpg

official link -

http://www.knvb.nl/
http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/06/en/w/team/overview.html?team=ned

main news - R.I.P to david di tommasso who passed away last week!

http://www.evo-web.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=27368

masth5hu.jpg

the draw for the group stages are held tomorrow wots in store for the oranje

well here it is

Group C
Argentina
Ivory Coast
Serbia and Montenegro
Holland

world cup kits

The pics:

away & home:
727-NikeWK.jpg

2202654426.jpg

away:
727-VaartBoulahrouz.jpg

home:
727-Nike_-_Nistelrooy.jpg

nlhome.jpg
nlaway.jpg

And this is the logo that is used (couldnt find detailed pics of logo on shirt):
knvb_logo.png

Preliminary Squad

From sky sports

The Dutch have a hugely talented squad, but face no easy task as they have been drawn alongside Argentina, Ivory Coast and Serbia and Montenegro in Group C

Van Basten's 33-man party:

Keepers: Patrick Lodewijks (Feyenoord), Edwin van der Sar (Manchester United), Maarten Stekelenburg (Ajax), Henk Timmer (AZ).

Defenders: Khalid Boulahrouz (HSV Hamburg), Wilfred Bouma (Aston Villa), Giovanni van Bronckhorst (Barcelona), Tim de Cler (AZ), Urby Emanuelson (Ajax), Kew Jaliens (AZ), Jan Kromkamp (Liverpool), Joris Mathijsen (AZ), Andre Ooijer (PSV), Barry Opdam (AZ), Ron Vlaar (Feyenoord).

Midfielders: George Boateng (Middlesbrough), Mark van Bommel (Barcelona), Phillip Cocu (PSV), Edgar Davids (Tottenham), Nigel de Jong (HSV Hamburg), Denny Landzaat (AZ), Hedwiges Maduro (Ajax), Wesley Sneijder (Ajax), Rafael van der Vaart (HSV Hamburg).

Forwards: Ryan Babel (Ajax), Romeo Castelen (Feyenoord), Klaas-Jan Huntelaar (Ajax), Dirk Kuyt (Feyenoord), Martijn Meerdink (AZ), Ruud van Nistelrooy (Manchester United), Robin van Persie (Arsenal), Arjen Robben (Chelsea), Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink (PSV).

Last edited:
Re: The "Oranje" Dutch national team thread - Road to the world cup 2006!

the draw for the group stages are held tomorrow wots in store for the oranje
Hopefully not Iran! :D

lol I hope we don't get Holland/Sweden or Czech in our group because they are teams from Pot 2 and yet probably equally as strong if not better than the so called Top 8 seeds like Italy/Mexico! So if you do get them you're probably screwed if you're in a position/strength Iran is and have a mountain to climb/aim for!

So I hope to avoid my other fav team beside Iran which has always been Holland since I was a kid and Kluivert and Bergkamp were my idols :) and to hopefully meet them in knock out stages (haha dreaming! :mrgreen: but you know what dreams happen all the time and it's not impossible)

Last edited:

PLF, i have a funny feeling that Iran and Holland will be in the same group...just like in 1978: Holland - Iran - Scotland - Peru (well the last two will not play the WC in 2006).

Concerning Holland: Van Basten is a class act as coach too...
I hope there will be no incidents among the players this time (which is often the case with the Dutch team in big tournaments).

As a Belgian i will be a fan of the Dutch team, unlike most of my fellow Belgians i really like Dutch football and Holland in general...good luck!!!

I'm pleased with the way van Basten has given Dutch football its face back. It's not even the way we're playing, it's the vibe around it. I'm not too convinced if we can hang in there with the best teams in the world, but the mentality around the team is certainly great. If it was up to me I'd play like this:

Goal: Van der Sar
RB: Lucius
CB: Boulahrouz / Ooijer
CB: Mathijsen / Opdam
LB: van Bronckkhorst / de Cler

LM: Robben
CM: Cocu
CM: Landzaat
RM: van der Vaart / van Bommel

CF: van Nistelrooij / Makaay
CF: van Persie

As you can see, a few options are open. There's a lot of options anyway. There's also Davids, Sneijder, Affelay, Aissati, Kuyt, Emmanuelson and Babel who I really like. It's tough, but I'm a big fan of this 4-4-2 instead of our famous 4-3-3. I only think that works when you have 2 wingers with Robben's quality. The formation pushes to the left too much when Robben plays, that leaves not much room for surprises. With an equally good right winger we wouldn't have that problem. Maybe S. Kalou can be that man. Certainly not Yildirim, Denneboom or whoever had a chance in the recent past.

Good post Joost. I totally agree about the vibe you mention...Van Basten is becoming someone with the charisma/influence/sacrosanctity of Cruijff.
And about 4-3-3:
Ajax is becoming a victim/prisoner of his 4-3-3 system...
There are couple of unknown (to me at least) players you mention in your post.
For which clubs do players like Denneboom, Boulahrouz and Landzaat play???
Landzaat= AZ67???

Gerd, Denneboom plays for NEC, Yildirim for Heerenveen. At first van Basten really wanted to have 2 wingers who had the same way of playing as Robben does. With Kuyt he has a decent alternative, but it's just not optimal in my view. Aissati and Affelay are 2 talents playing for PSV. Especially Aissati has a bright future I feel. He's only 17, but his passing and intelligence is amazing. I dare to say he's the best Dutch talent at the moment.
Also, van Persie has just signed a mega contract for Arsenal. It seems they're really pleased with him there. Maybe the English members can give their view on that.
You're right about Ajax Gerd, it's my favorite team, but they're doing it all so very wrong right now. The only players who have potential are Babel, Emanuelson and Maduro. Some good players leave transfer free after this season (Trabelsi, Maxwell, de Jong, Pienaar). Altough I must add Pienaar and de Jong aren't great players, they're decent. Maxwell has been replaced by Emanuelson who does a good job so far and Trabelsi will probably be replaced by Heitinga who I'm hoping to see back to his old form.
Landzaat plays for AZ Gerd, he's their defensive midfielder, very smart player. Real Madrid were interested in him last season. He's already 29, but he has developed himself into a great player. Lacks speed though and seems to lose control at times when the spaces get small.

Last edited:

I ain't got nothing to look forward to! :(

But i hope Holland draw with Ivory Coast. ;)

joostebrood said:
I'm pleased with the way van Basten has given Dutch football its face back. It's not even the way we're playing, it's the vibe around it. I'm not too convinced if we can hang in there with the best teams in the world, but the mentality around the team is certainly great. If it was up to me I'd play like this:

Goal: Van der Sar
RB: Lucius
CB: Boulahrouz / Ooijer
CB: Mathijsen / Opdam
LB: van Bronckkhorst / de Cler

LM: Robben
CM: Cocu
CM: Landzaat
RM: van der Vaart / van Bommel

CF: van Nistelrooij / Makaay
CF: van Persie

As you can see, a few options are open. There's a lot of options anyway. There's also Davids, Sneijder, Affelay, Aissati, Kuyt, Emmanuelson and Babel who I really like. It's tough, but I'm a big fan of this 4-4-2 instead of our famous 4-3-3. I only think that works when you have 2 wingers with Robben's quality. The formation pushes to the left too much when Robben plays, that leaves not much room for surprises. With an equally good right winger we wouldn't have that problem. Maybe S. Kalou can be that man. Certainly not Yildirim, Denneboom or whoever had a chance in the recent past.

yup superb post

wot of castelan, he played well against england

i wud put kuyt and maakay ahead of van persie

i wud also like to see quincy and vlaar go for the experience!

True, we need to wait a bit with Vlaar and see how he does the rest of this season. I am totally for Ooijer in the starting eleven btw, van Basten hasnt given much chance so far, but he has been ace for psv in the champions league, and has the experience mathijsen/opdam/boulah lack.

My personal favourite formation would be:

Gk: vd Sar
Rb: kromkamp, lucius (hard to choose, both not that great)
lb: gio
cb: ooijer
cb: mathijsen
dmf: cocu
cmf: davids
amf: vd vaart
rw: kalou, kuyt (depends if the stupid minister will give kalou dutch nationality)
cf; Ruud
lw: Robben

PK9, have u seen quincy vs Ajax? Quincy is overhyped after 1 great game in the u20 wc. He has potential but shouldnt be in the national team yet.

yeah i like quincy's fancy skills that why i am saying he shud go the experience, expose them to wots its like when u reach the top!

my top youth picks are

affelay
babel

and yeah the dutch defense is not exactly the strongest "stam pls u can come along as defensive coach"

we shud not place all the emphasis on ruud!

vd Sar
Lucius Ooijer Bouma Kromkamp
Van Bommel Cocu VDV
Van Galen
Makaay Robben

Very unlikely, but I think these are the best players.

Wow, i think we can say that we need to get in more steel and experience after wat we have just be give to handle in the world cup!

this is gonna be real tough, wow is all i can say!

Group C
Argentina
Ivory Coast
Serbia and Montenegro
Holland

wow, wat did we do to deserve this lol

Group of Death! Was so happy when my team avoided this group I couldn't be more joyed! :)
Best of luck to Holland but thi will be TOUGH!!!!!!!

yeah i know i was looking are tougher scenarios lol

am sure we can give argentina a game at least but we will need more steel in defence and midfeild! (this was exposed by italy)

It's a tough group. What's positive for Holland, is the fact that these are 4 countries who are willing to play football instead of hoping not to concede a goal. I'm very curious how things will go in this group, it could become the most interesting group of the tournament.

best of luck, brothaz. My buddy is a Oranj fanatic, and he and i were thinking of betting on whether the US or the Dutch would do better.

With both in difficult groups, this should be a helluva ride.

How good is Sneijder? He's a player I've picked out for years to go on to big big things with one of the European heavy weights, but he never seems to set the world alight. Is he just really loyal to Ajax?

RVP is burning up for us at the moment, so glad he's extended his contract. Could be one of the emerging stars this summer.

Quicny less so, he's a bit like C Ronaldo a coupla seasons ago, all trix and not a lot of end product at the moment. He could well come good tho, his dribbling is occasionally mesmirising.

Sneijder is a very good player. He seems to be able to play at a higher pace than other players and I don't mean he is a quick player. His 2 foot passing ability combined with his short turning and great technique gives him the possibility of raising the pace at any level. With Ajax he's surrounded by mediocre players and I think it's best for him to go to a good club in another country. A bit like van der Vaart.

Let's not forget to mention the man is also as two-footed as a player can get!

Apart from him, Camel Meriem of Monaco and few others there is not that many player who are this much two-footed not to mention none are really young but have learn to use their weaker foot almost to perfection like Nedved or Zidane.

Sneijder being the youngest and among most two-footed player in world maybe that I can think of right now.

PLF said:
Let's not forget to mention the man is also as two-footed as a player can get!

Apart from him, Camel Meriem of Monaco and few others there is not that many player who are this much two-footed not to mention none are really young but have learn to use their weaker foot almost to perfection like Nedved or Zidane.

Sneijder being the youngest and among most two-footed player in world maybe that I can think of right now.

Djimi Traore has proven to have two left feet. I think he may be the only one in the world with such a claim. :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom