The OFFICIAL PES2008 (PS) Complaint Letter To Konami Thread (PLEASE READ FIRST POST)

Chris Davies

Chief PESsimist
Staff
14 May 2003
UK
Tranmere Rovers
Right, it's been talked about a few times, and I've been given permission from the site owners to start it (I had to ask because I can just see the queue of people getting ready to hijack this thread - although if you are a moaner-hater, please read the first line of the next paragraph).

The idea of this thread is to reduce the off-topic and consistent moaning across all threads on the forum, and to provide a place for all complaints about the game to go. After sufficient complaints have been collected, I will put together a letter featuring them all, post it on here for suggestions of any changes to make to it, and finally it will be sent off to Konami. Whether they listen or not is another matter, but you have to try, don't you?

Please seperate your complaints into two categories:

Factual Complaint: Something that is wrong with the game and isn't down to personal opinion. An example of this would be that there was a pre-match shirt/shorts/socks selector a couple of years ago, then it was reduced to home/away kit selection only, and now you can't select kits at all. This is an unarguable complaint.

Personal Complaint: Something that you feel should be changed but isn't a matter of fact. An example of this would be that long shots are too easy to score now. Some people will agree but some will disagree, therefore it is not factual.

Please also specify what version of the game you are referring to: PlayStation2, PlayStation3, or ALL NEXT-GEN VERSIONS. But please note that the thread in this forum is for collecting PlayStation issues.

Finally, please refrain from making suggestions and wishlists, as Konami have stated officially several times that THEY DO NOT ACCEPT THEM.

The letter (I should say "book", because it's going to be massive) will document both kinds of complaints for Konami to browse over at their leisure.

People who think this thread is a disgrace to Seabass or a waste of everybody's time, please keep your comments to yourself as this is a thread made to help everyone.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Re: The Official PES2008 Complaint Letter To Konami Thread (PLEASE READ FIRST POST)

Version: BOTH
Factual complaint:
Slowdown, buggy online, tearing
Personal complaint:
bring back features that have been removed:
- shirt selection
- camera angle, single player cam
- editable crests/badges
- more slots in edit mode (at least one per unlicensed team. Photos loadable from HD)

adding more points (as additional features, graphics engine, ML structure, online leagues, etc ...) would lead into a kind of wishlist. Wishlists are useless unfortunally, as you can see with PESFAN's annual attempt.

In short: fix the bugs, fully implement the given features.
For the future: refer to various wishlists

Last edited:
Re: The OFFICIAL PES2008 Complaint Letter To Konami Thread (PLEASE READ FIRST POST)

The initial slowdown.
The reduced editing options.
The factthat the ML is not fully customizable.

And more important:

The general fact that Konami refuse to listen to the huge community of fans outside Japan (and i'm not sure if they listen to Japanese fans).

Suggestion: recruit at least two people who read the various internet forums and give feed-back (i'm prepared to it for free, and i think there are dozens of people like me, but it's better to pay people).

Last edited:
Re: The OFFICIAL PES2008 Complaint Letter To Konami Thread (PLEASE READ FIRST POST)

Version: PS3

Factual complaint:

- Slowdown occuring when screen is crowded with players. (game is installed on HDD, on HD TV + HDMI cable with all effects turned off)
- Slowdown during replays and opening sequences
- When playing the game through a standard scart lead on a regular TV (non HD) the slowdown/juddering is unbearable. The game is unplayable.
- The game crashes if downloading from the PSN while playing.

Personal complaint:

- Removal of previously available options/game modes
- Kit selection is poor.
- Edit Mode should be improved not restricted. Virtually everything in the game should be editable.
- Old Trafford and other stadiums have been removed. Stadiums should never be removed only added. (imo)
- Keepers need drastic improvment. They spill 80% of powerful shots into the goal.
- Crowd graphics are laughable. Pixelated rubbish.
- Master League - needs to be removed and replaced with something that at least resmbles a real life league structure.
- The Music. It's terrible.

Last edited:

2v2 online....criminal its not in for a second year (360)

Editing limited slots even if you have the camera to take the pictures..... Reduces it to pointless.....

Version: BOTH

Factual complaint:

- Slowdowns (this applies mainly on PS3)
- Crappy replays (i remember that in first PS2 versions -PES 1 or 2- they were smooth like silk, depending how much you pressed the analogue button)
- Poor kit selection
- Camera angles removed (why?)
- Possibility to turn off the radar (removed a few years ago, why?)

Last edited:

Version: both ps2 and ps3

Factual complaint:

- It´s no longer possible to play a whole world cup with a friend (see:
http://forums.evo-web.co.uk/showthread.php?t=44199): you can´t do that anymore in the ps3 version but still in the ps2 version...
- Slowdown during games, replays and opening sequences

Personal complaint:

- Removal of previously available options/game modes
- PS2 version has more modes (community, world tour...)
- No camera angle anymore in ps3 version

Here's a few issues i need to get off my chest, hope there what your looking for.

Personal:

Top Player mode seems to easy (what happened to Teamvision AI)

Another Teamvision gripe is nobody comes looking for a short pass everyone seems to be running in the opposite direction to the ball. Im constantly having to dribble 30 yards to find a pass.

Whenever a goal goes in all you can hear is a deft silence then the refs whistle, the crowd should be the first to react if a goal is scored.

The veiw when a penalty is taken is awful both from the taker and the keepers point of veiw.

After one game in master league half your team are to tired to start the next game.

Factual

Kit selection needs to be re-introduced in master league.

Edit mode is poor in so many ways, if you dont have a eyetoy or something similar there's not much you can do. It won't let you tweak players apperence without starting from square one i.e players hair.

Too few stadiums.

The goal net styles could be added too.

Cant have a penalty kick match.

Everyone already knows about the online faults.

The truth of the matter is ive spent more time looking for patches, option files and updates then time playing the game. It's ment to be a next generation system, we as loyal customers have shelled out a hell of a lot of money expecting to be spoilt for choice in terms of options, quality gameplay, graphics ect. Why do we have to be the ones coming up with improvements, if this game met the developers criteria for a next generation game i'd be very suprised, maybe nobody had the balls to speak up and show a little bit of integrity.

Last edited:

Version: PS2

Factual Complaints:

They removed the option to mix up shorts with socks with jerseys. Poor kit selection. Why?

They removed the International Challenge Mode. The game mode where you can play the International Cup (World Cup) qualifiers. Again why?

Personal Complaint:

They shouldnt remove game modes that resemble real life like the International Challenge to introduce game modes such as Random Match Selection and World Tour which could be fun but are unreal and i prefer the real ones.

Wasnt this game about simulating football that occurs in real life?

Factual complaint:

PS2 - loss of additional hairstyles option.

Classic England no longer features the 1966 World Cup winners (no Bobby Charlton, Hurst, Peters, Banks, Stiles, etc)but instead contains lesser players (eg Les Ferdinand, Phil Neal). Also George Best, Di Stefano have disappeared form the "secret players" list.

Percentage completed passes removed from the match summary.

Factual Complaint (PS3 Version)

Slowdown laughable until I got a HDMI cable. Now much improved. Although penalties are now in slow motion, have no idea why? New penalty angle terrible especially as GK.

Editing options stripped down compared to 6, why?? Only 8 kits, not good enough Konami!:(

No option to choose kits in competition!

It's like someone from EA worked undercover on development. "I know what will make people buy FIFA, make the editing crap!"

Re: The OFFICIAL PES2008 (PS) Complaint Letter To Konami Thread (PLEASE READ FIRST PO

ps3 complaint

the physics are awfull.bring back ball and player physics from pro evo 6.

i dont like the player models.the players look skiny and there bodies are not unique and and dont stand out like in previous pes games.

i dont like the high camera angle.on previous pes games then camera did not look down on the players from so high up.i want the camera back from the previous pro games,the standard camera views that starts at default that is.

there is too much wrong about pes 2008 next gen for me to write about.bring back everything from previous pes games please konami.

KONAMI IF YOU DONT LISTEN TO US-YOUR VERY LOYAL FANS THEN YOU WILL LOOSE US ALL VERY QUICKLY......GET IT SORTED.

Re: The OFFICIAL PES2008 (PS) Complaint Letter To Konami Thread (PLEASE READ FIRST PO

FACTUAL

FROM Konami's Website

"Critically acclaimed, multi-million selling and still the most respected football title on the planet, Pro Evolution Soccer continues to be one of Konami’s flagship titles. The indications are that this latest incarnation will surpass everything that went before it and prove that PES 2008 will be the greatest version of the beautiful game to date.

Two new cover stars will grace the packshot with multiple player of the year Cristiano Ronaldo and England star Michael Owen endorsing the quality of PES 2008 by deciding to use their considerable talents alongside that of the game. As well as the outside having a new look, fans will be eager to know what new changes can be found inside the most important area of PES 2008 – the gameplay.

PES 2008 will feature a brand new intelligence system, called Teamvision, that adapts and reacts to players own gameplay styles to ensure that the computer controlled opponents are always challenging and forcing the player to think and chance their style of play to avoid being out-thought by the game. It will learn counter attacks that target your weaknesses and look to exploit any repetitive tactics players use.

Defenders react better to danger, closing down the ball and charging at shots and the goalkeepers will hold shots that are closer to them as well. Teammates will make more intelligent runs into space and the close control has been sharpened to ensure quick and fluid passing and speedy attacks can be built. The next gen versions will also feature extensive edit modes so players can completely customise their PES 2008 experience.

Sorry but I would not agree I can completely customise my PES 2008 Experience as many of the tools on the PS2 version have been removed, I could personalise my PES6 experience to a greater degree..

Last edited:

FACTUAL

---------------------------------------------------
GENERAL ISSUES
Players often get red cards for tackles when they weren't that bad, and they weren't even the last man.

Players don't continue L1 one-two runs when they run into a player.

Gary Neville can perform Ronaldo runs through your entire team. Foot in tackles are not effective and sliding tackles often get your players sent off.

ball movement is ping-pongish, you can have a richocet and the ball speeds up..?

All Nets look the same unlike preious versions that had a choice dependent on stadium.

I have not seen any proof of TeamVision is it only available in Master League ?

Throw ins still have the invisible barrier, bring back Pro Evo 3 Throw ins.

Corners are near impossible to defend, COM scores more goals from CK than anything else.

Removal of so many options - why are there non existant editing optionS?? and why remove things like Random selection match, ability to change kits before games, Player name who shoots on replays etc etc etc I mean even the PS2 version has less functionality in 2008 then it did in version 6.

Simply look at the online scores they have gone from 1-0, 2-0, 2-1 etc to 8-5, 7-3, 5-1...says it all

FREE KICKS
Ref takes AGES (ok, only a 3/4 seconds) to blow the whistle to take some free-kicks. This can make you lose advantage as it allows your opponent to move into position.

Passing power bar during free-kicks does nothing.

Computer score 95% of all free kicks inside the 32m range, this is not realistic.

KEEPERS
Palm the ball too often on shots hit straight at them.

Too easy to score at their near-post.

Run off their line and stand in no mans land so you can move to the left and shoot low along the floor.

When coming off their line and going to ground the ball zips out at 200mph 30-40 yards, usually to an opposition player who side foots it back into the net.

Keeper has ball in hand - wait a bit, press R1 to drop it, the keeper won't drop it but the animation changes a little. Press again, same thing. Then he kicks even if you want to throw etc.

Sometimes don't throw/kick the ball from hands in the direction you press.

PASSING
Ball Momentum - If you play a through ball it just keeps going and going... it barely slows down. Hopefully it's just this pitch and not on all of them during the Summer/Daytime setting. I don't want to choose Rainy to get realistic ball momentum.

Players still run side-on to the ball when recieving through balls sometimes, which often means they'll watch the ball roll out of play. Coupled with the ball momentum above this can be more frustrating than in previous PES's.

Long passes that spread play from side to side are far too fast when hit at a decent power.

SHOOTING
Shots weak at times even when power bar is high.

When receving ball quickly from rebound or low cross, pressing shoot doesn't seem to do anything and your player tries to control it before shooting. Low FPS my be the issue here, although maybe not.

no longer a sense of achievement or satisfaction, the crowd roar is delayed by a second after scoring and is not hugely distinctive from the normal crowd sound

PERSONAL OPINION

GENERAL ISSUES

Players take too long to recover when stumbling through an opponent.
^ Also take too long to recover after making a successful sliding tackle, sometimes leading to CPU getting the ball before you.

Defence refuses to stay in a line. 1 player will run back 10m to play someone onside.

I’m disillusioned why edited team kits can't be used online (this irritates me considering the fake kits are far removed from reality and the Gunners look more like Man U) I am not expecitng my opponent to see the same kit but from my viewpoint i have changed them so they should look like they would on exabition Match.

Lawrenson sounds like he's reading off a script but I think Champion sounds really good.

Dribbing at high speed is far too easy players like Ronaldo, Messi, Henry etc are unstoppable, I accept that it was too each for the defender to catch Henry but now its impossible.. This is why people only play as Barca, Man U etc as playing as Newcastle is a waste of time as they simply cannot defend anything.

Simply look at the online scores they have gone from 1-0, 2-0, 2-1 etc to 8-5, 7-3, 5-1...says it all

FREE KICKS
Turning can be slow.

Passing midfield free-kicks is still useless as they usually goes to opponent as your players rarely get in a position to play a pass to them.

KEEPERS
Run off their line and stand in no mans land so you can move to the left and shoot low along the floor.

Why can I still not direct where my GK kicks it from the Floor, I chose the left press Kick and it goes right?

SHOOTING

How can a player like Michael Owen with no pressure kick a ball vertically in the air from 5 yards out . It happens to me as Newcastle far too often, at least make him swipe and miss it but 60 foot in the air when walking and no keeper or players pressuring him….

PS3

Personal - Accumulated fatigue is awful.

Version: PS2

Factual complaint:

It really annoys me when the referee calls for a foul after you slide (when the computer makes your player stretch and slide for the ball) when trying to pass the ball to a teammate, and you make contact with an opponent while sliding to pass it. Also, sometimes while pressing :r1: and :square: (I think it's that combination) the player slides for some strange reason, which is also very annoying.

FACTUAL:

- A bit of slowdown occuring on some stadiums when screen full of players.
- God awful stuttering replays!!
- Freezes if Media Server Enabled and/or Downloading from PSN

PERSONAL:

- FANTASIA MODE MISSING!!
- Removal of kit selection in ML is a joke and bring back the shorts / shirt combination selection
- Keepers spilling easy saves and diving on the spot!!
- Referees need to learn the difference between the ball and a players legs - and be a bit less card happy!!
- Players running away from the ball - whats that all about?!!?
- Slide tackles are more like 'sit on the floor tackles'
- Passing to the wrong player. Happens more in PES2008 than ever before. Running forwards, press pass and the direction of an anvancing runner and my player passes it to someone who is just sttod around, not involved in the move and is usually in a completely different direction to the way i'm pressing!!

More to come........................... ;)

There are some great points being made here.

I can wait until PES2009 is released then we can all come back here and complain about the exact same issues (hopefully minus the slowdown issues)

Factual complaint:

- I have the game installed to my HDD but out of curiosity I went to install it again and the game didn't tell me that I already had it installed, it just installed it all over again. Am I supposed to install it every time I turn on my PS3 to play the game?

Personal complaint:

- The COVERING option in the formations menu from PES5 still hasn't returned.
- Some crosses and shots are too fast.
- The commentary for the most part is recycled from previous games.

Jack,

A little off topic as such but can you send them this picture from another thread and point out that it probably took the guy a few hours and it looks ten times better than 12 months on the Menu for Konami..

http://www.evo-web.co.uk/forums/showpost.php?p=1158963&postcount=19658

Factual
-------

Pressing Triangle when in one on one situations too often the goalkeeper will walk straight past the ball without trying to claw at it, this is unrealistic as previous versions have at least attempted a dive rather than just walk out and about.

Factual

Lineups are always out of date and incorrect, this is best shown with Newcastle Utd who this year are the licenced Premiership side. However Solano is still in the squad even though he was sold to West Ham, Beye is still in marsaille which means they can't even get right the side that they have licenced etc.

My other one would be that the stats are vastly overrated for certain players such as Adrianno etc, who may be good but are unstoppable in the game with a decent player. It is all very well for Konami and others to say well you can edit them but the fact is you can't online which is why everyone plays with Inter, Barca etc.

Personal

Online ranking is a joke until Konami sort out a points system based on the team you use and the opposition you are playing against, winning with Brasil against Newcastle should give you very little whilst the other way around a bucket full of points, this would then mean we see more than Barca and Milan online.

I had a player in position to recieve a dropping ball and the opposition players head went through my body and headed the ball away.

Another thing was a player trapped a ball with his head that was going at least a foot above it. Some kind of invisible hat i think.

Also keepers making saves without actually touching the ball.

Factual:
- Players names in CAPS is lame;
- Why much less special hairs?;
- Edit mode critically reduced, WHY?;
- Long Throws from PES3 back;
- Covering option from PES5 back (Glad to know I'm not the only one wanting this back);
- Master League should be completely renowned. Like a real league and you would be able to change teams according to your progress.
- € ou £ instead of points in ML;
- Return of World Cup mode;
- Community mode is cool but to next-gen next time and they can improve it;
- Better researches in player stats;
- Add clubs, not replace;

If has to take more than a year to make a great game, then do it Konami as I prefer to wait a long time for a perfect game than seeing a rushed game.

Last edited:

PS3 Version

Factual:
- Inability to change ML kits before a match is completely inexcusable. The programmers should be forced to play white vs. white in wide view over and over and over until they change this.
- Stuttering replays are an embarrassment.
- Wonky ball physics on deflections - a ball cannot accelerate off a deflection. I think they taught us that in elementary school physics.
- I could go on and on...SeaBass, just read the list here!

Personal
- Where to start?...
- This doesn't even feel like a KCET game anymore.
- Pinball speed MUST be toned down.
- Konami, you're NOT EVEN TRYING with the licenses. If you're going to give us generic sides then why not add a few more?
- Kit editing a complete joke.
- Bring back detailed stats after match.

Factual (PS3)

sometimes you cant man mark the main centre forwards as he is covered by a Zone Marking player, I want to double up on tha player and have both my CB's mark him e.g. Henry. I choose a player to mark, but i am not able to select him to mark, however if I sub my defender with another Defender I can.

Factual (PS3)

Can't change radar icon colours online just had white and light grey couldn't tell them apart blinking annoying as I kept passing to his left back thinking it was my winger... :(

Factual Complaint:
-Game consistently crashing for me as of today. Have tried 11 other PS3 games, all work perfectly
-Unacceptable slowdown when there is more than 10/11 players on screen at once

PlayStation 3

Factual:
- unable to register players into national teams after several successful transfers on the same team i.e. Tunisia.

- Red Star Belgrade is spelt as Red Star Beograde

what made me return my versio on the ps3 was the following:
1. simple gameplay errors eg. ronaldinho took a free kick, it hit the post and went back into play...all of a sudden the crowd goes wild...its a goal, when it clearly wasnt.
2. massive lack of detail in almost every aspect of the game. very lazy development in grass,crowds,weather...the list goes on. i also hate how every stadium is the same. same goal structures is one example.
3. what happened to making it look like a simulation. its gone all colourful and arcadey.
4. theres plently more wrong with this monstrosity like frame rates and lack of any real depth in gameplay, but i cant be bothered pointing any more out im too busy seeing how my copy of pes is doing on ebay.

Back
Top Bottom