The "Not happy with PES 2012" thread

Which PES 2012 version do you prefer?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
lol, I was playing a match today and a friend was sitting next to me.
The AI was dribbling on the right flank next to my box and he was surrounded by my RB and one CB. Suddenly my RMF pressured him from behind, I didn't understand why because I wasn't using second pressure.
My friend said a script was running, the AI wants a goal and he creates a foul with a non-controlled player around your box.

He was right, the freekick went in because I couldn't select the right defender to clear the ball.
We looked at eachother and we had a fit of giggles. :P

try to play without any assistance esp Sliding tackle assistance and let me know what will happen

I always set assistance to none, except for shooting.
I don't see no harm in that, because the CPU is better in shooting than me

umm ,give it a try without any assistance
I only use sliding tackle assistance.
Playing on topplayer still cheats even with Nesa patch(I use it too )

It's odd how some people can seem to defend on this and other can't. I for one simply cannot defend crosses. I re-borrowed my mate's copy out of curiosity and was glad I'd previously sold my copy. It drove me up the wall.

Several times I conceded from a cross and header. I'd be in control of my fullback, trying to cut out a cross, but when the ball comes over there is only a split second for the cursor to move to a central defender in the box and try to head the ball away. Unfortunately, as is usually the case, I gain control of a defender as the cross comes in but he's about ten yards away from the attacker and he scores.

So, I check out the replay, and notice that my two CB's were tracking the central striker perfectly until they reached the edge of their own penalty area. Once they got to this point, and while this would have been happening off screen at this point while I'm chasing the winger with my full back, the CPU made both my central defenders stop, run the other way for a second, then stop again, before chasing back as they were before, except of course this time they're now ten yards behind the attacker who has a simple header on goal.

Happens every time I play the game. It's broken.

Last edited:
It's odd how some people can seem to defend on this and other can't. I for one simply cannot defend crosses. I re-borrowed my mate's copy out of curiosity and was glad I'd previously sold my copy. It drove me up the wall.

Several times I conceded from a cross and header. I'd be in control of my fullback, trying to cut out a cross, but when the ball comes over there is only a split second for the cursor to move to a central defender in the box and try to head the ball away. Unfortunately, as is usually the case, I gain control of a defender as the cross comes in but he's about ten yards away from the attacker and he scores.

So, I check out the replay, and notice that my two CB's were tracking the central striker perfectly until they reached the edge of their own penalty area. Once they got to this point, and while this would have been happening off screen at this point while I'm chasing the winger with my full back, the CPU made both my central defenders stop, run the other way for a second, then stop again, before chasing back as they were before, except of course this time they're now ten yards behind the attacker who has a simple header on goal.

Happens every time I play the game. It's broken.

Yep, it's blatant scripting to put your defence on the back foot and put the opposition into an advantageous position. I see this happen all the time and there's not much you can do to counter it.

Well that's definitely fixed in the gameplay patches on PC, they do score free headers sometimes but only when it's from real free cross where the AI player has lots of time and space to give a pinpoint cross. Their marking in pretty good in the box.

http://forums.evo-web.co.uk/showthread.php?t=66750

Give it a try and see if you still got that problem

Last edited:
Re - scripting - didn't the Finnish (I think) games journo and PES fan Riot once say that for this entire generation (next-gen) Konami will stick with the engine they have from the PS2 era but tart it up as much as possible?

Doesn't seem that wrong or ill-informed a viewpoint in retrospect.

No matter how loyal a fan base/customer base one has, one can only produce poor products (the average gamer sadly does think PES is rather sub-standard) for so long before the purchasing public is totally fed up with what's on offer.

Re - scripting - didn't the Finnish (I think) games journo and PES fan Riot once say that for this entire generation (next-gen) Konami will stick with the engine they have from the PS2 era but tart it up as much as possible?

Doesn't seem that wrong or ill-informed a viewpoint in retrospect.

No matter how loyal a fan base/customer base one has, one can only produce poor products (the average gamer sadly does think PES is rather sub-standard) for so long before the purchasing public is totally fed up with what's on offer.

Yes he did, and that was a few years back. Turns out his insight and predictions were very much correct. I'd like to hear more from the guy to be honest, but perhaps he doesn't always say what some PES fans want to hear.

Yes he did, and that was a few years back. Turns out his insight and predictions were very much correct. I'd like to hear more from the guy to be honest, but perhaps he doesn't always say what some PES fans want to hear.

You used to hear alot from Riot & Cannagia on PES and they were right in the know....they seem to have disappeared off the planet. Did they not tow the Konami partyline?

You used to hear alot from Riot & Cannagia on PES and they were right in the know....they seem to have disappeared off the planet. Did they not tow the Konami partyline?

Caniggia still posts on wenb sometimes and he thinks that pes 2012 is a great game, so you know, even the greatest can be wrong

I spent hours last night tinkering with a game (Liverpool v City) on Superstar to try and get the game to play realistically and not the usual counter attack scripted nonsense. I think I've found a tactic that combats the teams that play an aggressive dribbling game, and makes the CPU play some football (which is virtually every team on Superstar).

Now the tactics screen looks a mess, that's because the more I play the game the more I think tactics and formations are broken. Some of the stuff I was seeing on further analysis had me staggered to be frank with any 'normal' style formation.

So, what I believe a formation like this does is ultimately limit the CPU cheating moments, and forces the CPU to play back and sideways, hounds out the dribblers, whilst also having the advantage of making the CPU come onto you, but with numbers so that you too can counter effectively.

Here it is -

https://picasaweb.google.com/109638483749131668724/PESTactics#5728923970042291810

and the slider settings

https://picasaweb.google.com/109638483749131668724/PESTactics#5728923970606174978

Now like I say, it looks a complete mess on the sliders, but as of yet it's the only way of combatting the AI super dribble and ultra direct play.

I'll be testing more today, but during testing the normal CB's were just getting ripped to shreds by silly runs and scripting, so I've bolstered that area with 4 CBS all touching distance, this makes them defend better as unit somehow. My two wingers are also dropping back defensively to cut out further passing lanes, and the entire midfield is congregated. But it plays very well both going forward and back, which is why I think that the tactics/sliders aren't doing what they are supposed to do in 'normal' formations.

Last edited:
I hope this year there will be no demos of the game. There's really no point to it, all it did in the last few years was to promise us something and then to disappoint with the full game that suddenly lost its balance.

I hope this year there will be no demos of the game. There's really no point to it, all it did in the last few years was to promise us something and then to disappoint with the full game that suddenly lost its balance.

A demo of the final game once it's out would be most welcome really no point of a demo beforehand.

I spent hours last night tinkering with a game (Liverpool v City) on Superstar to try and get the game to play realistically and not the usual counter attack scripted nonsense. I think I've found a tactic that combats the teams that play an aggressive dribbling game, and makes the CPU play some football (which is virtually every team on Superstar).

Now the tactics screen looks a mess, that's because the more I play the game the more I think tactics and formations are broken. Some of the stuff I was seeing on further analysis had me staggered to be frank with any 'normal' style formation.

So, what I believe a formation like this does is ultimately limit the CPU cheating moments, and forces the CPU to play back and sideways, hounds out the dribblers, whilst also having the advantage of making the CPU come onto you, but with numbers so that you too can counter effectively.

Here it is -

https://picasaweb.google.com/109638483749131668724/PESTactics#5728923970042291810

and the slider settings

https://picasaweb.google.com/109638483749131668724/PESTactics#5728923970606174978

Now like I say, it looks a complete mess on the sliders, but as of yet it's the only way of combatting the AI super dribble and ultra direct play.

I'll be testing more today, but during testing the normal CB's were just getting ripped to shreds by silly runs and scripting, so I've bolstered that area with 4 CBS all touching distance, this makes them defend better as unit somehow. My two wingers are also dropping back defensively to cut out further passing lanes, and the entire midfield is congregated. But it plays very well both going forward and back, which is why I think that the tactics/sliders aren't doing what they are supposed to do in 'normal' formations.

pages not available (for me, at least). help me out, I'm breathless with anticipation!

Try it now. It's not miraculous or anything, but it certainly 'slows' down the CPU just by sheer strength of numbers, cutting out passing lanes, and adding high pressure.

I pretty happy with the way it's turned out and will be using them for 1.03. But I went back to out of the box version 1.00 yesterday and a I may just stick with that for today, and going forward.

Has anybody created a patch that gives you a need for a midfield yet? I put the game on last week, twice in fact and turned it off before i'd even finished the game (i was winning both times). The game is just so end to end and keeping possession seems to be detrimental to the cause. I feel safer running at the opposition than i do trying to keep the ball away from them. It reminds me exactly what i don't like about Fifa.

I think the game is a mess in truth. It's not balanced at all. Attacking clearly has an advantage over defending (another comparison i can make with Fifa). I always seem to play the game after having watched or played real football prior. Both Man United games have seen them camped on the opposition's box for a lot of the game, playing the ball around hoping to open a chance because the defenders are strategically placed to block them from getting into the box easily. That doesn't happen in this game. You'd be better off just running into the box at the defenders because for the most part, whether you're defending or attacking, defenders seem to literally shit bricks when you run at them in this game. In real life if i ran straight into the box i would most likely a)be crowded out with no room to do anything with the ball b)be tackled by the numerous amount of defenders there or c)end up pushing the ball too far from my body and give away the ball or give too much of the ball to the opposition to see them make a clearance. Defenders tend to just back off giving you too much of the ball. There's no need for them to back off in their box. They should look to crowd you out, but whether it's because you can exploit tiny bits of space too easily with most players or defenders aren't aware of the concept of defending in numbers or at least doubling up, this doesn't happen enough.

Also there is no excuse for the crossing system in this game. It is literally harder to hit a bad cross than it is to hit a good one and i sure as hell know that isn't the case in real life. There's simply no player momentum, speed or angle factors taken into the physics when attempting to cross. On the subject of physics, the ball seldom curls....ever. Playing long passes, taking shots, clearing the ball, goal kicks etc the ball seems to travel in what about to be a near straight line most of the time. The only factor is accuracy, the ball rarely ever spins away. This is pretty much a factor why long shots are so easy. I score far too many of those.

Last edited:
Has anybody created a patch that gives you a need for a midfield yet? I put the game on last week, twice in fact and turned it off before i'd even finished the game (i was winning both times). The game is just so end to end and keeping possession seems to be detrimental to the cause. I feel safer running at the opposition than i do trying to keep the ball away from them. It reminds me exactly what i don't like about Fifa.

I think the game is a mess in truth. It's not balanced at all. Attacking clearly has an advantage over defending (another comparison i can make with Fifa). I always seem to play the game after having watched or played real football prior. Both Man United games have seen them camped on the opposition's box for a lot of the game, playing the ball around hoping to open a chance because the defenders are strategically placed to block them from getting into the box easily. That doesn't happen in this game. You'd be better off just running into the box at the defenders because for the most part, whether you're defending or attacking, defenders seem to literally shit bricks when you run at them in this game. In real life if i ran straight into the box i would most likely a)be crowded out with no room to do anything with the ball b)be tackled by the numerous amount of defenders there or c)end up pushing the ball too far from my body and give away the ball or give too much of the ball to the opposition to see them make a clearance. Defenders tend to just back off giving you too much of the ball. There's no need for them to back off in their box. They should look to crowd you out, but whether it's because you can exploit tiny bits of space too easily with most players or defenders aren't aware of the concept of defending in numbers or at least doubling up, this doesn't happen enough.

Also there is no excuse for the crossing system in this game. It is literally harder to hit a bad cross than it is to hit a good one and i sure as hell know that isn't the case in real life. There's simply no player momentum, speed or angle factors taken into the physics when attempting to cross. On the subject of physics, the ball seldom curls....ever. Playing long passes, taking shots, clearing the ball, goal kicks etc the ball seems to travel in what about to be a near straight line most of the time. The only factor is accuracy, the ball rarely ever spins away. This is pretty much a factor why long shots are so easy. I score far too many of those.

Spot on about it being easier to defend than attack, in the old days it was far easier to defend than attack which is the way it should be. Both games surrendered to the vocal hardcore internet crowd demanding that defending should be really difficult an art they asked for....well now defending is an art... a poor art that unbalances both games.

Last edited:
I haven't so much got an issue with the defending mechanism, rather the way the CPU simply ignores any pressure and player movement of the human. The CPU is just on a simple dribble mission from God. So much so that I have reverted back to 1.00 out of the box, which I think plays better than with the patches applied, that seem to give the CPU more dribbling superpowers.

I played some PES 2010 earlier too. Now many people said this game was shit, and on rails etc, but honestly there's a lot in there which I really liked. If that game was just slowed down a bit, and was made freer in terms of directions and long balls etc, then the general gameplay is actually not that bad. Almost always on TP the possession is fairly equal, and the CPU seems to respect what a human would do in said positions, like pass it along back or sideways. Not to mention the graphics which blow 2012 out of the water. 2010's major problem for me was that it was too fast, and the CPU tended to play the ball around too quick; other than that I really enjoyed it.

I haven't so much got an issue with the defending mechanism, rather the way the CPU simply ignores any pressure and player movement of the human. The CPU is just on a simple dribble mission from God. So much so that I have reverted back to 1.00 out of the box, which I think plays better than with the patches applied, that seem to give the CPU more dribbling superpowers.

I played some PES 2010 earlier too. Now many people said this game was shit, and on rails etc, but honestly there's a lot in there which I really liked. If that game was just slowed down a bit, and was made freer in terms of directions and long balls etc, then the general gameplay is actually not that bad. Almost always on TP the possession is fairly equal, and the CPU seems to respect what a human would do in said positions, like pass it along back or sideways. Not to mention the graphics which blow 2012 out of the water. 2010's major problem for me was that it was too fast, and the CPU tended to play the ball around too quick; other than that I really enjoyed it.

Dont take it personal, but the best we games were the ones from ps2, we need to take that gameplay and try to apply it to the current graphics,

yesterday i played winning eleven 6 final evolution, which was for me the best of the series, and it has so good movements and animations of the players.

the control of the ball is perfect, and the movement of the ball itself is perfect

we need to go back to that gameplay and try to improve it

these days games of football are crap, and the problem is that i bought a ps3 only to play winning eleven

I like the new patch (1.06). The game is more balanced now (less annoying) and my players are a bit less retarded.

Last edited:
A bit late in this post since game been out for a while, but for the full version of 2012...

-Free kick where you get another player to knock it to the kick taker is useless almost all the time. In demo 1, it was perfect but in full version, a defender always dashes out and blocks it.
-Free kicks in general have gotten worse since 2010. Crossing feels more random and your players tend to fumble in the air. But worst aspect is that you can only score direct if someone in wall does not jump. Very hard to score consistently with CR since his shot style is quite low.
-Feints and linked feints do not beat defenders like they did in 2011. you can pull it off but they are still on you. I stopped using them.
-Overall stats mechanism is crazy: favours side players too much. Aguero, Tevez, Rooney...etc have higher stats as SMFs and CFs have terrible stats and are 'better' as SS.
-Lobbing shots is not as good as PS2 era, where there is an actual very high loop shot (L1), and low one (R1). Now the L1 shot is low and R1 barely lifts off ground. Most of time it's blocked by keeper.
-Weird positionings: I notice when you play 3-3-4 and have one defender attack in a corner or set piece, one of your strikers (SS) always moves back to defend really deep on your end.
-Using right analog stick to make off-ball player run forward can be ineffective sometimes, since a slight nudge makes the on-the-ball player do the stepovers and delaying your throughball.
-Nobody gets injured/stretchered off.
-I liked the old pro evo 6 mechanism where if you do a bad foul, the ref can play advantage for a while but come back to give the offender a card later.
-Little random things in cut scenes... yellow card makes the offender dash 'into' the ref (PC version). In goal celebration, the person who supplied the assist can teleport in front to hug the scorer even when the assist came from the other side of the pitch.

Back
Top Bottom