The Master League adventures thread

Valencia 0-2 Atletico Madrid

No way past Simeon’s brick wall! Atletico too good for Valencia.

Atlético Madrid brought their counter attacking ‘A’ game to the Mestalla, defending superbly and finishing clinically.

A tasty goal from Saul edged Atletico in front midway through the first half. Carrasco sent in a cross from the left and Saul, unmarked, controlled on his knee before lashing the ball past Neto on the volley.

Fernandez killed the game off in the 75th minute, taking advantage of Valencia pressing players forward. The midfielder was quickest to react to the loose ball after Neto had saved a low Felipe Luis drive with an outstretched leg.

Valencia 2-1 Alavés

No way into Europe, despite a first win in five for Valencia.

It is now mathematically impossible for Valencia to grab a final Europa league spot, results elsewhere making sure of the fact. A reality that could likely cost Gaizka Mendieta his job as head coach at the club.

In what was an unconvincing win for Los Che, but a win all the same, Rodrigo opened the scoring in explosive fashion. Given a rare starting berth, Rodrigo proved his worth winning possession high up the pitch before cracking one at the Alavés goal from distance. The ball smacking the left hand post on its way in, with the keeper rooted to the spot.

Minutes within the restart, with 48 on the clock, Alavés deservedly drew level. Alvaro Medran surging into the box at the last to get in front of Gabriel, poke Home, and cap a nice fluid move down the right.

Much to there own detriment, Alavés spurned chance after chance after chance to get their noses ahead. Munir being the main culprit. And so, in the 84th minute, Valencia made the northern Spanish club pay for their wastefulness in front of goal. This time Kondogbia won possession in an advanced position before feeding the ball to Rodrigo. Rodrigo held the up the ball well waiting for the defender to commit himself, which he did, before knocking a return pass into space ahead of Kondogbia. The midfielder charged in from the left and toe poked the ball over the dive of the keeper to seal a morale boosting win for his side.

Neto, in the Valencia goal, was named man of the match for his heroics. Says a lot about how this match probably should have turned out.

Last edited:
Pereira off

After a few renegotiations Valencia agree in principal to let Andreas Pereira move on in the summer to Mexican outfit León.

The former Manchester United youngster has found himself frozen out at the Mestalla and will look to rebuild his career across the Atlantic in the Liga MX.

León will shell out €7.3M, for what will be a marquee signing for the club.

Last edited:
Getafe 0-1 Valencia

Parejo’s injury time freekick seals victory for Los Che in this rubber ring fixture.

Ex-Manchester City bad boy Nigel De Jong took out Dani Parejo in the 92nd minute right on the corner of the 18 yard box and the Valencia captain picked himself up, and dusted himself off to score a fine freekick. The Getafe keeper managed to push Parejo’s effort onto the underside of the bar, but the ball had already fully crossed the line.

On the balance of play Valencia just about deserved the three points.

Valencia 0-1 Levante

A final nail in the coffin?

Will He stay or will he go? Mendieta’s Valencia lose the local derby to Levante on the final day of the season, finishing La Liga in a disappointing 9th position.

Levante were good for the win, putting the hosts under sustained spells of pressure for periods of the first half, particularly from corners, and deservedly scoring the winner in stoppage time.

Alex Alegria was clever for the goal, staying on the shoulder of Murillo as the Valencia rearguard once again pushed out after yet another Levante attack. In an instant possession was regained by the visitors and a quick diagonal ball sent in towards the near post, where the target man snuck in to nod past the keeper ensuring the season ended on a high note for the smallest club in the Valencian region.

Elsewhere......

Despite losing 3-0 In the Madrid derby to Atletico (at the Bernabeu of all places), Real Madrid still retain the La Liga title on goal difference! Barcelona had won their final fixture elsewhere leaving both clubs on 92 points. But Real Madrid had a far superior goal difference over the Catalan club.

5C7FC8B6-DF0D-4BE1-8E9D-E0B90B222429.jpeg

Last edited:
D2C6FA7E-90A4-494D-94B1-9CBA635D0F17.jpeg

Mendieta Out

It’s june the 13th and with the La Liga season finally over, tough decisions are being made.

Pure and simple, targets were not met by the manager. With no European football on the horizon Gaizka Mendieta has been shown the exit door at Valencia!

A Fresh Challenge

62AB714C-601F-4F4B-81D4-2EA51FE941C5.jpeg

Mendieta takes charge at UD Las Palmas.

Back from a short break following his departure from Los Che, Gaizka Mendieta has decided to jump right back into the hot seat and will take charge of Las Palmas from the 1st of July 2018.

Mendieta’s agent commented that the manager had been highly sought after following anything but than a disastrous spell at Valencia....

“Yes, Gaizka didn’t meet the club’s expectations but let’s not get carried away. He took Valencia within a whisker of the Copa del Rey final and finished La Liga in a respectable 9th place finish. He has many qualities as a manager and many clubs would love to hire his services.”

three offers had been on the table for Mendieta, with the manager believed to have rejected overtures from fellow La Liga outfit Real Sociedad and Italian Seria A upstarts Atalanta before deciding upon the exciting project at Las Palmas.

Last edited:
Expectations

3EB4DE40-BF62-4139-871D-0A8DAC79596A.jpeg

The board expect Mendieta to consolidate the club’s position in La Liga with a top half finish. Having finished the previous season in 11th place, this target is more than achievable for the Canary Islands club.

However, that doesn’t mean things will be easy for Mendieta. The squad is a bit of a mess and the manager has much work to do. Namely;

- Trimming the size of the squad (very top heavy on average central midfielders) to help clear the wage bill.
- Cutting the average age of the squad (too many players over the age of 30).
- Roughly 10 players need negotiations initiated on new contracts immediately. Otherwise the club run the risk of losing many players for nothing (and good ones!) in the following summer.
- Bolstering weak spots in the team. A new Goalkeeper and a left full back are a serious priority. Right full back, right midfield and a new striker will also be needed in the long run.

Lots to do!

After almost finishing my first season in La Liga, I would say playing ML in La Liga is better and more enjoyable than playing in EPL.
Villarreal #4, matchday 32 (Super Star, PA1, basic shooting).

After almost finishing my first season in La Liga, I would say playing ML in La Liga is better and more enjoyable than playing in EPL.
Villarreal #4, matchday 32 (Super Star, PA1, basic shooting).

Look at me struggling and getting sacked with Valencia and then there’s you showing me how it’s done on superstar with a similarly strengthed club. Lol!

Well done mate, glad your enjoying your PES

Transfer Activity

The Canaria Island outfit has been a hubbub of activity leading up to the opening day of the La Liga season. Mendieta has been extremely busy negotiating new contracts, selling the deadwood and bringing in fresh blood. It’s been a hectic pre-season for the ex-Valencia boss.

OUT

Steven Ireland
cuts his stay in Spain short. Departing for Portugal and Rio Ave for €5.8M

Ageing winger Momo also departs for Portugal, signing on at Tondela. Mendieta doing extremely well to get €7.1M for the player.

Javi Castellano swaps one island for another, hoping on a boat over to Tenerife for €4.7M.

Aythami Artiles
is shipped off for €5.8M, dropping down a division to join up with Numancia.

Northern Ireland international, full back Lee Hodson, is deemed surplus to requirements and heads back over to UK for €3.4M. Championship side Barnsley his destination.

Ortuño follows Hodson to the English Championship, signing on at QPR for €2.4M

Many pundits expected him to stay, but ex-Liverpool and Fiorentina player Aquilani departs Gran Canaria to give the Premier league one more crack. Lancashire outfit Burnley pick up the cultured midfielder for €8.4M

Promising midfielder Sergi Samper is sent out on loan to gain invaluable first team experience at Osasuna for €1.4M fee.

With a new young keeper rumoured to be signing on the dotted line at Estadio Gran Canaria, club no.1 Raúl Lizoáin has surprisingly been shown the door. The 32 year old departs for SD Huesca in a deal worth €4.9M.

IN

Las Palmas trigger Paul Bernardoni’s €9.1M release fee to steal the young talented keeper away from Ligue 2 side Clermont foot. Mendieta can breath a huge sigh of relief, having chased the keeper all summer.

25317539-8140-4BE1-B235-5E541BB7350A.jpeg

At €10M, 20 year old centre half Dayot Upamecano is an absolute steal. The Frenchman has pace in abundance and his performances will surely be missed by German upstarts Red Bull Leipzig.

27310748-2DCB-4749-BD9D-AE86D5011C0F.jpeg

With a sizeable loan fee of €2.9M, Albanian fullback Elseid Hysaj joins with many expectations from Italian giants Napoli. Offensive and versatile, Hysaj will be an important cog in the Las Palmas system going forward. The player can play in either full back position and can expect lots of game time under Mendieta’s stewardship. If all goes well this season, Las Palmas have first refusal to buy the player in the summer (reportedly around the €17M mark)

5293E2E0-1BEB-4204-BCE9-1933D4A0AC92.jpeg

Mendieta’s go to guy! Karol Linetty follows the manager out east from Valencia to join the Gran Canaria club for a cool €9.3M. The anchor man has put pen to paper on a three year deal.

6252B228-8DA8-4913-9FAB-FE1A3F8495CF.jpeg

Transfer listed by the yellow submarines in the summer, Nicola Sansone comes in to shake up the Las Palmas frontline for a heavily reduced transfer fee of €10.2M. The Italian signs from Villarreal on a three year contract.

359844C6-8171-488B-B772-D025C39DFF24.jpeg

Last but by no means least, Mendieta brings in a marquee signing for the club. Little attacking midfield wizard Manuel Lanzini joins from West Ham United in a €19.8M deal! Penning his name to a 4 year deal, the Argentinian comes to the sunny island with a wave of expectation. Fans will have to wait to see the player in action a little longer though, Lanzini signs a little to late to be involved in Las Palmas curtain raiser against Real Madrid.

C8D19A4D-93BE-4D47-B8CD-C86719DE700E.jpeg

The Las Palmas Way

69FA20DA-06C4-4099-BE42-69214A8DDB7D.jpeg

384B555C-43BA-4440-83B5-7028E992FA81.jpeg

The Las Palmas “way” is a far cry from the more conservative approach deployed by Mendieta at Valencia. But, the manager is buying into the club’s philosophy and has gone about his business, bringing in players with an eye on playing a high intensity pressing game.

The top diamond, consisting of a false no.9 (usually Sansone) and a trio of attacking midfielders is critical in order for the system to be a success, as are the ultra attacking fullbacks (the only players providing any width for the team).

Back to the trio. Halilovic is a creative playmaker and will look to be the main link between the defensive and attacking phase of play. This is why he is positioned centrally of the three. Sansone, as the false no.9, will drop into the space left by the young Croat. That leaves Lanzini and Viera with the job of combining with Sansone or bombing in behind the defense themselves, or at least trying to!

With the two centre backs squeezing up the pitch, it is a high risk strategy. However, Mendieta is banking on the aggressive, high pressing nature of the strategy to unsettle opponents enough for his side to reap the rewards.

Crucially though, the manager does have a plan ‘B’ and a plan ‘C’ to fall back on. If the need arises.

Transfer Activity

The Canaria Island outfit has been a hubbub of activity leading up to the opening day of the La Liga season. Mendieta has been extremely busy negotiating new contracts, selling the deadwood and bringing in fresh blood. It’s been a hectic pre-season for the ex-Valencia boss.

OUT

Steven Ireland
cuts his stay in Spain short. Departing for Portugal and Rio Ave for €5.8M

Ageing winger Momo also departs for Portugal, signing on at Tondela. Mendieta doing extremely well to get €7.1M for the player.

Javi Castellano swaps one island for another, hoping on a boat over to Tenerife for €4.7M.

Aythami Artiles
is shipped off for €5.8M, dropping down a division to join up with Numancia.

Northern Ireland international, full back Lee Hodson, is deemed surplus to requirements and heads back over to UK for €3.4M. Championship side Barnsley his destination.

Ortuño follows Hodson to the English Championship, signing on at QPR for €2.4M

Many pundits expected him to stay, but ex-Liverpool and Fiorentina player Aquilani departs Gran Canaria to give the Premier league one more crack. Lancashire outfit Burnley pick up the cultured midfielder for €8.4M

Promising midfielder Sergi Samper is sent out on loan to gain invaluable first team experience at Osasuna for €1.4M fee.

With a new young keeper rumoured to be signing on the dotted line at Estadio Gran Canaria, club no.1 Raúl Lizoáin has surprisingly been shown the door. The 32 year old departs for SD Huesca in a deal worth €4.9M.

IN

Las Palmas trigger Paul Bernardoni’s €9.1M release fee to steal the young talented keeper away from Ligue 2 side Clermont foot. Mendieta can breath a huge sigh of relief, having chased the keeper all summer.

View attachment 2420

At €10M, 20 year old centre half Dayot Upamecano is an absolute steal. The Frenchman has pace in abundance and his performances will surely be missed by German upstarts Red Bull Leipzig.

View attachment 2430

With a sizeable loan fee of €2.9M, Albanian fullback Elseid Hysaj joins with many expectations from Italian giants Napoli. Offensive and versatile, Hysaj will be an important cog in the Las Palmas system going forward. The player can play in either full back position and can expect lots of game time under Mendieta’s stewardship. If all goes well this season, Las Palmas have first refusal to buy the player in the summer (reportedly around the €17M mark)

View attachment 2421

Mendieta’s go to guy! Karol Linetty follows the manager out east from Valencia to join the Gran Canaria club for a cool €9.3M. The anchor man has put pen to paper on a three year deal.

View attachment 2422

Transfer listed by the yellow submarines in the summer, Nicola Sansone comes in to shake up the Las Palmas frontline for a heavily reduced transfer fee of €10.2M. The Italian signs from Villarreal on a three year contract.

View attachment 2424

Last but by no means least, Mendieta brings in a marquee signing for the club. Little attacking midfield wizard Manuel Lanzini joins from West Ham United in a €19.8M deal! Penning his name to a 4 year deal, the Argentinian comes to the sunny island with a wave of expectation. Fans will have to wait to see the player in action a little longer though, Lanzini signs a little to late to be involved in Las Palmas curtain raiser against Real Madrid.

View attachment 2423
That's a proper fucking write up son.
Haven't been active here in a while,but been reading.
And agree on your statement on La liga being more enjoyable than The PL,not that I've played La Liga,but I always play Serie A,pes in my mind is better when playing a less pacey league,a league that has an off and on switch for pace,instead of a 100mph league like the PL.
I always play Serie A with Pes and the Championship/PL with FIFA

I finished 4th place in my first season with Villarreal, won Copa del Rey (great game in the final vs Real Madrid, 2 - 1), reached QF in Europa League.

Las Palmas 0-1 Real Madrid

Surrounded by a sea of yellow in the Estadio Gran Canaria, visiting Champions Real Madrid held on for victory in the early kick off curtain raiser against a fresh looking Las Palmas side.

Spurred on by new club captain Karol Linetty, Las Palmas made life as uncomfortable as possible for the visitors, pressing Zidane’s superstars all over the pitch. Mendieta would’ve been more than happy with his team’s performance going into the half time break.

Only three minutes after the restart though, Madrid exposed Las Palmas to score the only goal of the game. Toni Kroos took advantage of gaps in the defence, lifting the ball into the path of Marco Asensio who finished emphatically off of the left hand post.

To their ultimate credit, Las Palmas stuck to the game plan and gave the full two barrels to Madrid late on. The score only remaining as was due to an inspired performance from Navas, keeping La UD at bay with a string of fine saves.

Las Palmas 1-1 Atlético Madrid

In an enthralling encounter under the flood lights at the Estadio Gran Canaria, Las Palmas and Atletico played out a lively draw.

It took Las Palmas only 3 first half minutes to do what they had failed to do in 90 minutes against the white half of Madrid. Linking well with Jonathan Viera, with a quick interchange of passes, new boy Sansone grabbed his first goal for the club. Hitting the back of the net low to Moya’s right, from the edge of the 18 yard box.

Finishing 3rd last season to the big two, Atletico had strengthened in the summer in an attempt to bridge the gap, and they were strong here tonight. With N’golo Kanté now amongst the red and whites ranks, Atletico started to boss the game and struck the equaliser towards the end of the half. Koke’s 37th minute inswinging corner glanced into the top corner by Yannick Carrasco.

Early in the second half debutant keeper Bernardoni produced a wondrous save, keeping out what looked like a certain goal eight yards out for Kevin Gamiero, the young shot stopper spreading himself like the Great Dane Peter Schmeichel in his prime!

Despite the superior quality of Simeone’s Atlético Madrid side, Las Palmas held on for a well fought point. Hopefully a first of many under Mendieta’s reign

That's a proper fucking write up son.
Haven't been active here in a while,but been reading.
And agree on your statement on La liga being more enjoyable than The PL,not that I've played La Liga,but I always play Serie A,pes in my mind is better when playing a less pacey league,a league that has an off and on switch for pace,instead of a 100mph league like the PL.
I always play Serie A with Pes and the Championship/PL with FIFA

I know what you mean dude. In reality most football matches in the top leagues are slower in real life with little bursts when a team will step up a gear or two.

Despite being sacked from Valencia I actually enjoyed the season using them immensely. Playing a slower passing build up with players like Parejo was really enjoyable.

If I’m honest, I’m struggling with the new pressing system I’m trying to employ at Las Palmas because the matches seem quite frantic. I’m having to teach myself to slow down again after I’ve rushed about trying to win back possession. Keep attempting a killer pass too early and give the ball away cheaply more often than not

I know what you mean dude. In reality most football matches in the top leagues are slower in real life with little bursts when a team will step up a gear or two.

Despite being sacked from Valencia I actually enjoyed the season using them immensely. Playing a slower passing build up with players like Parejo was really enjoyable.

If I’m honest, I’m struggling with the new pressing system I’m trying to employ at Las Palmas because the matches seem quite frantic. I’m having to teach myself to slow down again after I’ve rushed about trying to win back possession. Keep attempting a killer pass too early and give the ball away cheaply more often than not
By the looks of it,you're doing alright man.
Haven't touched the game properly since October,need to get back again.
Had one game on my ML save a few weeks ago,my Torino vs Roma,got molested for real,think I lost 5-0.
It's a steep learning curve getting up on the horse again mate

By the looks of it,you're doing alright man.
Haven't touched the game properly since October,need to get back again.
Had one game on my ML save a few weeks ago,my Torino vs Roma,got molested for real,think I lost 5-0.
It's a steep learning curve getting up on the horse again mate

Lol! Molested for real :CONFUSE:

I’m not with my PS4 at the moment but i am seriously debating whether to start a new ML (along with my PES2008 PS2 one).

I have joined PESUniverse so that i can download their latest OF and i noticed that they also have an update for PES2017.

Hmm... i’m not sure whether to play 2017 or 2018... i have never really got on with the new one but i kinda like the idea that i can get sacked. But at the same time the “stats don’t matter as much” issue puts me off a bit. I watched some of my old videos of my ML from 2017 and i am swaying towards that one.

What do you think guys? 2017 or 2018 waying up the good and bad points. I aim to play full manual on Professional level (to cut out scripting hopefully).

I should just make my own mind up i guess but like i said i wont be with my PS4 for a bit and dont want to spend time installing the option file for the least best game.

For me, 2018 is head and shoulders above in terms of gameplay. So that’s what I’d opt for. I liked 2017 and invested time heavily in master league, but I feel like this one will hold my attention for longer

@geeeeee I played a lot of Pes 2017, loved that game. I can safely say that in Pes 2018 individuality is in the same exact position it was the last year. And I'm talking about the vanilla game, no patch OF etc.

Draw your own conclusions and if possible try the game for yourself. After all, the "stats don't matter" issue isn't certainly something shared by all players.

@geeeeee I played a lot of Pes 2017, loved that game. I can safely say that in Pes 2018 individuality is in the same exact position it was the last year. And I'm talking about the vanilla game, no patch OF etc.

Draw your own conclusions and if possible try the game for yourself. After all, the "stats don't matter" issue isn't certainly something shared by all players.

Thanks Madmac, that’s much appreciated. I think i will give 2018 another chance but it will have to be for a whole season rather than just 2 or 3 matches. I will try it again hopefully in the next couple of weeks :)

I’m not with my PS4 at the moment but i am seriously debating whether to start a new ML (along with my PES2008 PS2 one).

I have joined PESUniverse so that i can download their latest OF and i noticed that they also have an update for PES2017.

Hmm... i’m not sure whether to play 2017 or 2018... i have never really got on with the new one but i kinda like the idea that i can get sacked. But at the same time the “stats don’t matter as much” issue puts me off a bit. I watched some of my old videos of my ML from 2017 and i am swaying towards that one.

What do you think guys? 2017 or 2018 waying up the good and bad points. I aim to play full manual on Professional level (to cut out scripting hopefully).

I should just make my own mind up i guess but like i said i wont be with my PS4 for a bit and dont want to spend time installing the option file for the least best game.
I play neither of those games right now,and as you know played 17 to bits,but I'd go for 18,feels much loser,not as rigid as 17,although it's a good game.
Think the downside to 18 Vs 17 is that I didn't get involved or really got a "love" for the players,I feel that the ML in 17 is better,feels more alive,not better gameplay,but I did care more for the ML in 17.
I have played a few games today on my 15,most people disliked that game,but it's the last game,for me anyway,that felt like football.
Boring as fuck off the pitch though.
Let us know mate

I play neither of those games right now,and as you know played 17 to bits,but I'd go for 18,feels much loser,not as rigid as 17,although it's a good game.
Think the downside to 18 Vs 17 is that I didn't get involved or really got a "love" for the players,I feel that the ML in 17 is better,feels more alive,not better gameplay,but I did care more for the ML in 17.
I have played a few games today on my 15,most people disliked that game,but it's the last game,for me anyway,that felt like football.
Let us know mate

Thanks rockstrongo, it’s good to get the different opinions. I’ve been reading some of the posts on Operation Sports and people are loving it and hating it pretty much the same on evoweb. I might just accept it for what it is. Even if im whacking in perfect shots consistently from my CB (which is unrealistic in my opinion) then it is what it is.

I was looking at this old match from my ML last year. I love these goals at 1:15, 6:40, and 9:25 which is probably the most bizarre finish i have seen in any PES.

Celta Vigo 2-0 Las Palmas

Las Palmas get picked apart in Balaídos.

After a poor week in training, Halilovic had to settle for a place on the bench forcing the manager to reshuffle his pack. Sansone dropped back, Lanzini moved more central and Loic Remy benefited by starting as the false 9.

La UD centre half Lemos gifted Celta the lead, failing to control the simplest of passes from Hysaj inside the penalty box. Guidetti took full advantage of the lapse and snuck in to strike the ball home past Bernardoni.

Twenty minutes later and Celta and Guidetti had their second of the night. A sharp one-two between Wass and the Swede gave the striker time to pick his spot and grab his brace.

In a rare foray forward for Las Palmas, five minutes before the half was out, Sansone skinned the defender down the left channel and pinged a low cross in-towards Viera. Unfortunately the 30 year old’s finish found the post and not the back of the net from six yards!

To make things that much harder, Lemos was rightfully given his marching orders midway through the second half. The muscular centre half red carded for absolutely poleaxing Guidetti from behind in the 66th minute.

A game to forget for Las Palmas and certainly for Lemos, who will now miss the game against Real Sociedad.

Back
Top Bottom