The Good Books Thread

good suggestions, anything you can read by phil ball.
also Bob Dylan Chronicles is excellent. Man gerd took alot of my football sugestions :)

Ok, finished Paul McGrath's book. Really enjoyed it but a very depressing read at times. Considering his childhood, I think he came out pretty normal! And he was a Chelsea fan as a boy which makes him a legend in my eyes.

It's not sugarcoated, there are times when you think he is a complete shit, but he is brutally honest throughout. Thoroughly recommended. The tragic thing is, lot's of the book is written by schoolfriends, Kevin Moran or Ron Atkinson because he can't remember the incidents that he was involved in.

Tried reading the Dice Man but didn't enjoy it. Gave up about 200 pages in, couldn't really see the point.

Read "I am legend" recently, I haven't seen the film but the book is excellent.

Currently re-reading The Stand by Stephen King, and I've got the Viz Profanisaurus in the bog. It's genius....

I've also read the book about MC Grath Terry, and although i was moved by it at times,i think there are lots of better books about football...

I'm currently reading GB84 by David Peace, it's a "a factional thriller" about the mine strikes in 1984...as a non English i regularly have to Google to understand certain things in the book (for instance: Orgreave, which was the village or plant where there was one of the most notorious clashes between miners and police)...i already liked his book about Clough at Leeds United (also fationally): "The Damned United". The next book is Peace's latest, the first book in a Tokyo trilogy...

Lois on the Loose, just finished this, I'm into travel writing at the mo...and this is good honest fair about a girl who jacks everything in and motorbikes from Canada to South America.. If you like travel writing give it a try..

Sounds good nick, will try that one...i quite like travelling literature...when i was in China i was reading "Riding the Iron Rooster" by Paul Theroux when....riding the Iron Rooster (that's the train that goes westwards to the muslim part of China...).
I quite like Theroux' books...

I think you confound Louis Theroux with Paul Theroux...i don't think Paul Theroux has shows, and if i'm not mistaken Paul is Louis' father...

I've also read the book about MC Grath Terry, and although i was moved by it at times,i think there are lots of better books about football...

Bit harsh Gerd - it was about an interesting footballer, rather than about football. That was really the point, I thought.

Have you read Tony Cascarino's book? I think you might enjoy it, although it is along the same lines as McGrath's.

Haven't read any Paul Theroux, but I always mean too.

Back
Top Bottom