The England Topic

It was a poor game, I actually taped it to watch how Thommo did, but as the panel and commentators mentioned why only give him 1 hour and also have Carragher playing on the left side of defence? :shock: All the play was situated to the centre or right as Carragher looked like he didn't fancy using his left much. The movement was also dire to from the other players.

Thought Defoe did well when he came on and I also thought Carragher did okay, although should have been at right back instead.

FD

Oh and forgot to say, heard a contingent of the England fans booing Thompson when he touched the ball, very intelligent. :roll: :x

FD

DeRo said:
Prediction and willing to be £500 with ANYBODY that England do not win Euro 2004, World Cup 2006 or Euro 2008. Any one want to gamble ? (send me a message and we wil lodge the £)

Sack waiting for 4 years until i can claim my £500! Unless theres interest on that... :)

I just hope that when we play this mini tournament in Manchester before Euro 2004 he will play the 11 that will be starting for at least an hour ofeach game!!!!

To be quite honest the only players that will really be playing in Portugal that played last night were James, Terry, Gerrard and Rooney!

Milanista said:
Thats what happens when you hire a manager without a proper reputation. Just the Serie A once with Lazio... the team that sold all its stars and went broke buying new players.

Ive never rated him as a good coach. Wenger might do the job :)

I agree with you that Wenger is a good coach, probably the best in the world.
However, i don't agree with you on Ericsson. Have you forgotten what he did with Gotheborg????
"Everybody" can achieve big results with teams like Milan or Real Madrid, they simply buy the best players.
Ericsson build a team in Gotheborg, it was a team with young Swedish players who went on to build great carreers in the big competitions....
I rate him very high as a coach...

Sven has only lost one competitve match, got us qualified for 2 major tournaments and our only defeat came against Brazil who went on to win the World Cup!!! He has to change the team all the time because he gets too much grief from managers!

I think everybody should stop judging until AFTER Euro 2004!

cant beleive anyone is taking the Sweden game as a sign of how we will do at the championships, we had about 8 players from the first 11 not in the squad ffs
our first 11 is one of the best in the world and our managers record speaks for itself - only lost one competitive game and that was against Brazil in the world cup.
its us or Italy in the summer imo

I'm afraid you' re a litle bit too optimistic Mick...
In my opinion the reason why the ENglish national team are (relative) under-achievers is that the English clubs have to play way too much matches during the season: EPL, Cup, League Cup, Euro Cups. It's too much.
That's why i think that surprises will be very likely in Portugal. If one of the big nations has a big chance to fail it's England. Not because they have a bad team or a bad manager, but because they could be "exhausted"...
I like English football much and i sincerely hope the future will prove me wrong.

when we got beat by australia we then went on and were unbeaten for our next eight games if we do that again we will be european champions!

Sunday Express said:
Arsenal star Edu could be about to play for England. The Brazilian is eligible to play for Sven-Goran Eriksson's side because he has lived in England for more than two years and has yet to be capped by his native country.

Wow! Imagine that - A natural left sided talented brazilian playing for england.

But then again it is the Sunday Express :(

I think it would be better for us if he played for England rather than Brazil because he wouldn't have to travel half way around the world every time the international break comes around and I think it's only a matter of time before he play's for Brazil the way he's playing, but I don't see him playing for England though.

Speaking to a Spanish newspaper (maybe he went over there to give Becks some tips about 'dealing' with an affair ;) ) Sven has hinted that Sctty Parker will be in the Euro 2004 squad, with Joe Cole set to miss out.full story

i have to say i thought joe cole was excellent when he came on against arsenal in the CL. i know it was only for a short time but he really got at the gooner defence and caused them some problems. it'd be nice to see what he can do over a 10 game period of playing 90 minutes every game.

parker has had a better season than cole, though cole is a more creative player.

england need to cover steven gerard as the tackles he gets away with in the premiership will see him yellow/red carded at the euro championships. so parker would be a better bet than cole.

Joe Cole imo is very overrated
he had heaps of talent when he was young but he just hasnt fulfilled it
a move away from chelsea would be his best bet imo, get himself regular football

Like said cole is talented, but then again he does have this tendency to give the ball away alot trying to show off.

Watched quite a bit of Chelsea this season and think that Cole is talented as hell, but seems to lack that final decisive finish. By that I mean, his last touch, whether a shot or pass, seems to nullify the impressive things he did when he had the ball.

But overall, his style of play does benefit his team cuz of the mismatches he can create with the ball.

Cole could result more useful than Parker, cos when the game turns bad, Cole can decide with his talent...
I'd choose Cole instead of Parker....

I want England to win Euro 2004. If England as a team hit their best form in the tournament, I don't see any other team can beat them.

And how do you guys think David James as a goalie?

Lionheart said:
And how do you guys think David James as a goalie?

Obviously I prefer Paul Robinson, but I like Calamity, he's a good goalie...
Don't forget he saved us against turkey in sunderland...

Woodgate has been defenitly been ruled out by newcastle for the tournement and then we here Brian Kidd has prostate cancer and is in surgury not the best start to a build up and the season hasnt finished yet!

If James can play well and if hes on form we shouldnt have too many worries, theres just that possibility that he will make a mega howler that will get us knocked out.

if only kirkland didnt get injured every time he played. i reckon he would be up there with the top young keepers in the world like casillas if he could stay fit.

i dont think anyone can doubt joe coles ability, its just his footballing brain that is severely lacking imo. if he was playing for someone like wenger or ferguson i reckon they could still turn him into a world class player.

did u guys know cole almost joined valencia in the summer ? that would have probably been a better move for him than chelsea.

james has been playing great stuff for the last three weeks now plus two penalty saves, he says hes got a new system! as long as it works in the euro's. I dont think joe cole is going to make the squad though i think sven will take a moe all around midfielder in his place and in my own opinion if he does decide to take a flair player then then swp would be above him for performances but then again iam a bit biast! Sven has also been reported to have asked Mclaren to be his number two if Kidd doesnt recover in time!

Back
Top Bottom