The decline of eBay...

mjsmith2k

Come on you Reds!
5 November 2005
Nottingham
Forest, Bulls, Patriots
I just had to say something about eBay. I've been a seller on there for a number of years without hassle, but over the last few years their policies have got out of hand. I know that eBay has become a haven for scam artists and people selling counterfeit goods which has contributed towards eBay taking positive action and has ultimately led to them implementing new policies, I can't help but feel that selling on "the world's biggest marketplace" is more hassle than it's worth, and in turn is leading to it's decline. Here are a few examples of eBay's new policies.

1) Vero: The new Vero programme has become a useful tool in weaning out those counterfeit goods that you often see littering the music and DVD sections. The Vero programme is run by users who sign up for the program and admins on the site who check any suspect items. However, some items are falsely flagged up and a number of people have since complained about items being removed. I for one have had a few listings removed through the Vero programme for quote "Stating brand new with tags and not showing them in my pictures". It was clear from my pictures that there were tags attached to the coat and I even provided the receipt from the shop I bought it from to prove it's authenticity. However, the misguided judgement of one person led to my listing being completely removed from the site without merit.

2) Postage: In October last year, eBay introduced a cap on postage. I can understand why they did it, people have abused the use of postage for years as the FVF (final value fee - eBay's fee on the final price at which the goods sell) is only calculated on the price at which the auction ends at, and does not include postage. So if you sell an eBook for £0.99 and charge £6.00 for postage the final amount due is £6.99, but you only get charged fees on the £0.99, the auction price. However, the introduction of a limits has only imposed more restrictions on the seller rather than solving the problem of abuse. For example the limit for postage on PC accessories is £5. So for an item such a heavy PSU which will cost £6 or £7 to post, excluding the cost of parcelling the item, I ultimately lose money. Also, all DVDs have to be posted 'FREE' which can ultimately lead to a lower final auction price and in turn you losing money. I feel that eBay should reduce the charge for the FVF, but this time charge for the sale and postage. This would be a good compromise which would catch these postage cheats out.

3) 'Keyword Spamming'. The other day they removed 4 of my listings for Keyword Spamming. Their evidence? I put 'NEW' in the title. WTF! Not only is this a common word to use when listing, as it attracts buyers who only want new products with warranties etc, but I and many thousands of others have harmlessly used it for years.

So it seems, the actions of a few scammers and rule breakers has led to an overly regulated eBay and increasingly frustrating place to sell. I am honest seller, and I try to be transparent about every aspect of my product. However, I have become increasingly paranoid due to the fact that every listing is intensely scrutinised and ultimately removed for only a minor breach of their policy. It wouldn't be so bad if they ended the listing for breach of these conditions and refunded the listing fee, but oh no, they completely remove all trace of it from the site, whether they were right or not. If I were to contest the removal, they still cannot do anything about it, the listing is now erased completely from the site. eBay is a mess.

:RANT::RANT::RANT:

I wanted to sell rockband the full kit on ebay and i just couldnt work out how the hell to set my postage to what it actually would cost. so i gave up. very annoying of them.

I just put collection only. Trampling that down to the post office would have been horrendous. I'd probably run out of brown tape too :LOL:.

The worst thing now to sell is phones

You always get some cunt who puts in a bid of £999 and fucks it up for the normal bidders

My PS3 was selling for £250 and someone came in with with a last minute high bid which of course was either a hacked or fake account and ebay wouldn't let me sell it to the second highest bidder, so i had to put it on again and got less than the £250 that was bid before

Tossers

Another two items have just bitten the dust. Their reason? Keyword spamming again. "Street Fighter IV Playstation PS3 UK PAL" Apparently the second 'PS3' was spamming. :CURSE: Some people only type 'PS3' in, I wanted to catch all potential buyers. It's not spamming.

Coopz that sucks mate. I sold a phone last week and 5 minutes before it was going to end eBay removed it for breach of terms. 3 full days after I listed it. Cunts.

Last edited:
I remember years ago we put one of those toys up from the Vauxhall Corsa adverts - The C'mons I think they were called.

We got in trouble because the title, "The C'mons Soft Toys (from Vauxhall Corsa advert)", featured the phrase "Vauxhall Corsa" and was apparently "misleading" to people who might think they were "bidding on a Vauxhall Corsa car". Just how stupid do people have to be to completely ignore all surrounding words and think they're bidding on a car?

Especially when the picture was quite obviously a bunch of four stuffed toys?!

Rang up, played hell, got nothing but a woman saying rules were rules. We didn't get the listing fees refunded and they froze the account for a while.

Incidentally, my brother-in-law calls it fleaBay.

How can someone get a Vauxhall Corsa toy confused with a Vauxhall Corsa car?! Hahaha, what a joke. Mind you what isn't these days...

I personally have never had a problem as yet, but I know lots of people who have. Mind you, due to hearing stuff I don't use it that much, only sell every now and again and only ever buy US PSN cards from it now from one person.

I've just looked at your items as well MJ and I can't see anything wrong at all with anything, good pics and nothing wrong with the names that I can see AND you have decent feedback!! Morons.

I bought a Corsa from ebay about a year ago and when i went to collect it it was just some fat kid with a cuddly toy. I was very cross to say the least.

banned my account last year for selling a "suprise" game in a game pack...obviously thought i'd be handing out illegal / counterfeit stuff...whatever.

i hate them. would have cost me 5€ to get my account reactivated after 3 months of waiting, didn't do it - there are easier ways to get rid of your stuff.

posterimage82.gif

There's eBid that I'm going to try soon to sell some of my stuff. Anyone else used it?

I've used it Mart. It's pretty much the same format as eBay, the only problem is that you don't get as many people using it and therefore there isn't as much exposure to the market for your particular good/s. The major positives of eBid, however, are that the members are predominantly from the UK, so you'll have less problems with overseas scam artists and listing an item is free.

Have you tried gumtree? If you're selling large items that you'll want picking up from you rather than delivering, e.g. Rock Band with guitar/drums, they have a very good classified section. You list in the classifieds by area, so only the people you want looking at your advert can. I've sold my laptop and Rock Band through there no problem, cash on collection.

I wouldn't use Ebay to sell stuff but I use it all the time to buy, been using it for about 5 or 6 years and it was only 2 months ago that I got ripped off for the first time, paid through paypal so got the full £154 back in 11 days.

To sell stuff I use Swedish sites Blocket/Tradera as they're much quicker to sell on plus Swedes are less bargain concious than other people I've noticed, I sold a 32" HDTV this week, asking price 2,950Sek as the HDMI sockets were iffy, some guy Emailed offering 2,500Sek because the HDMI was broken, I replied that as per my advert the HDMI worked but was temperamental but there was 1 month left on the store warranty so he could return it himself and have it fixed, he replied back right away offering the full amount and turned up in the evening to buy it for cash :)

It starts again....

Another bellend on eBay has bought my used item and isn't happy because it isn't in mint condition. What an idiot. So, have offered him a full refund on return of my item (to save the hassle and neg feedback) and he wants a partial refund of 50% or replacement only. I can't replace as it was a rare collectors guide and the damage doesn't warrant a 50% refund. Another timewaster it seems just trying to scam money out of me. So I have said, I'd rather he return it and I'll give him a full refund.

Let's see how eBay deal with this. They're policy is for the buyer to send the item back for a full refund, the primary option, which I have offered, but can't imagine I'll get much support if the milk turns out to be sour as they always favour buyers.

I can see me losing the money and the item.

I don't like eBay and unless I can't get it anywhere else I'd rather pay that bit more and get it elsewhere, as for selling my other half uses it sometimes and to be honest their are people who just look to play the system and make money from it by the sounds of it...

I was trying to sell my rockband on eBay but as you can't charge for P&P on games now I'd have to pay to send that gigantic heavy box myself. Load of crap.

I'd never sold on Ebay before I sold a bunch of UT coins, went really well as I sold 9x 100,000 for £13 each, one guy gave me positive feedback as neutral which annoyed me :(

What do you mean? I thought they scrapped the negative and neutral feedback.

What do you mean? I thought they scrapped the negative and neutral feedback.

Only for buyers. Sellers can still get positive, neutral or negative.

I think they should go back to the old system. Some give you negative out of spite even though you've resolved the issue and you can't even give them negative for being a timewaster.

Back
Top Bottom