The Calcio Quiz

gerd

Retired Footballer
8 January 2002
Over the moon
KRC Genk, Spurs
For all the people who love Italian football...i have a few questions to see who has the most encyclopedic knowledge about Calcio. Before i start, i only know all these things 0because currently i am reading a fantastic book about Calcio (Calcio by John Foot).

1. At the start of the Italian competition, 2 teams were very successfull: Genoa and a second club which is now an old glory and is not playing in Serie A or B. Which team of Northern Italy was this ????

2. Of course Collina is the most famous Italian referee. But a long time before him there was another high profile referee who was called the prince of the referees. What's his real name????

3. My all-time favourite Italian player was a playmaker, his nick was "il principe". Who is he ???

4. In may 1981 Juventus and Roma where playing a match that was seen as decisive for the Scudetto. A Roma goal was disallowed in the 74th minute. Who scored that goal, the most( (in)famous disallowed goal in Italian football (well maybe together with Ronaldo's goal).

5.In Florence many houses and cars have stickers who mention: "zona anti-gobbizzatta". hat does this mean and to what does those stickers refer???

6. Sampdoria Genua is a fusion of two city clubs, which ones???

7. Catenaccio was "invented" in ...Switzerland. Which coach introduced it in Italy and which team was he coaching at the time???

8. A Cagliari central defender who played briefly for Italy at the 1970 World Cup was best known for his psectacular own- goals ???

9. Who was the James Dean of Italian football. Played right winger for Torino and was (accidently) killed by one of his fans, who became later Torino's president ??? Real aces also know the name of "the killer" (the player was overrun by the later president's car). The sunday after his death Torino beat Juve 4-0.

10 Which former Roma playmaker comitted suicide exactly 10 years after he lost an ECI final against Liverpool ???

i don't think these are easy questions....who will answer correctly ??? The "real" Italians like lo zio or adpoted Italians like Don Domenico ????

Last edited:
For all the people who love Italian football...i have a few questions to see who has the most encyclopedic knowledge about Calcio. Before i start, i only know all these things 0because currently i am reading a fantastic book about Calcio (Calcio by John Foot).

1. At the start of the Italian competition, 2 teams were very successfull: Genoa and a second club which is now an old glory and is not playing in Serie A or B. Which team of Northern Italy was this ????

2. Of course Collina is the most famous Italian referee. But a long time before him there was another high profile referee who was called the prince of the referees. What's his real name????

3. My all-time favourite Italian player was a playmaker, his nick was "il principe". Who is he ???

4. In may 1981 Juventus and Roma where playing a match that was seen as decisive for the Scudetto. A Roma goal was disallowed in the 74th minute. Who scored that goal, the most( (in)famous disallowed goal in Italian football (well maybe together with Ronaldo's goal).

5.In Florence many houses and cars have stickers who mention: "zona anti-gobbizzatta". hat does this mean and to what does those stickers refer???

6. Sampdoria Genua is a fusion of two city clubs, which ones???

7. Catenaccio was "invented" in ...Switzerland. Which coach introduced it in Italy and which team was he coaching at the time???

8. A Cagliari central defender who played briefly for Italy at the 1970 World Cup was best known for his psectacular own- goals ???

9. Who was the James Dean of Italian football. Played right winger for Torino and was (accidently) killed by one of his fans, who became later Torino's president ??? Real aces also know the name of "the killer" (the player was overrun by the later president's car). The sunday after his death Torino beat Juve 4-0.

10 Which former Roma playmaker comitted suicide exactly 10 years after he lost an ECI final against Liverpool ???

i don't think these are easy questions....who will answer correctly ??? The "real" Italians like lo zio or adpoted Italians like Don Domenico ????

I'll have a google-less attempt.

1. Pro Vercelli?

3. Giannini ( you have said so way too many times :-pp)

5. Anti- Hunchbackzone - referring to Juve( juventini are often reffered to as gobbi) (i'll be so ashamed if I get this one wrong :mrgreen:)

6. Sampierdarenese and Andrea Doria

7. Rappan :)

10. Di Bartolomeo

I'm confident lo zio would've gotten them all.

just with memory

1. Pro Vercelli
2. Lo Bello
3. Giannini
4. Turone
5. it's a stupid and pathetic violet freaky tradition that means "zone without juve"
6. Sampierdarena & andrea doria
7. don't know
8. ???
9. don't know
10. BOH? Matthew Le Tissier :D ?

Last edited:
:SHOCK:

ok damn it, i can handle this!

1 - the strongests sides at the very beginning were genoa, milan, inter and pro vercelli, i guess.

2 - i guess u're talking about the legendary Concetto Lo Bello.

3 - one of my all time favourite players (together with rivera and redondo), Giannini :))

4- i have absolutely no idea :-pp:LOL:

5 - "gobbi" is one of the (many) nicknames of juve fans. by saying that they meant to say their curve, houses and cars were "juventini-free".

6 - well one of them was the "Andrea Doria"... the team took the name from a great genovese family.... but i honestly don't remember the name of the other one :-pp

7 - Reppan was the first to use that tactic. but the real inventor of the catenaccio was Nereo Rocco (legendary milan coach), who almost completely changed the original concept, creating something "new". Herrera then started from Rocco's concept and modified it, bringing the catenaccio to its best.

8 - ? who? :SS

9 - right now i don't remember the name of the player (but i know him). however the fan who killed him was Attilio "tilli" Romero.... very sad story.

10 - i really don't know..:-pp

edit:
Don said:
I'm confident lo zio would've gotten them all.
that's flattering, but i guess u're overrating me a bit, my friend :-pp:DD

2nd edit:
Gerd, i'll reply to your pm tomorrow, as i'm already late ;))

Last edited:
Lot's of good answers...only 7 is nowhere near...Rappan was the Swiss who invented cattenacio. i was asking about the first coach (and his team) who practised catenaccio. It wasn't Nereo Rocco.

A hint about the own-goal king: he was named after the Paris Commune...so i guess his parents where very leftist. According to the book he is still loved by Cagliari fans and he scared the hell out Ricky Albertosi.

Good that you guys didn't google...i must say i'm impressed uptil now.

I'll give the correct answers one of these days...and maybe do another one...

I don't know the coach but wasn't the first team to practice catenaccio Triestina? I was reading up on it a few months ago and remember them being mentioned.

I don't know the coach but wasn't the first team to practice catenaccio Triestina? I was reading up on it a few months ago and remember them being mentioned.

Triestina was the first team where Nereo Rocco practised catenaccio, i'll help a litle bit...the team that imported catenaccio from Switzerland was Salernitana right after world war II...according to John Foot at least...

Yesterday i discovered a mistake by Foot. He was talking about coacjes and mangers and tactical systems and wrote something very flattering for Belgian football. Foot was talking about Zaccheroni who played 3-4-3. A system invented by Guy Thys when he was coach of the Belgian national team...i can assure you that the Belgian national team never ever played with 3 at the back...

I must admit I don't know some of them..

But wasn't Gigi Meroni the player who got killed in the accident with Romero? I remember having heard Piero Chiambretti (an Italian showman) telling it, because if he's a Torino fan it's due to that fact.

He told he ran in hospital to give farewell to Meroni but, hilariously, he ended up giving farewell to another person who died the same day in the same way.. And so, after that day, in honour of Meroni, Chiambretti decided to become a Torino fan..

And, yes, the man who had the accident with him was Romero.

Last edited:
yeah Meroni, now i remember him.... if i do remember well he was also the captain of that torino.

however, talking about the catenaccio point, i think we just found another mistake by mr. Foot.

infact those coaches u're mentioning (Rappan and Viani, the salernitana coach u were talking about) didn't use the real catenaccio, as we know it.
Rappan and Viani gaming systems should be considered as embryonic antecedent forms of catenaccio, the first steps done in that direction.

rappan displayed a 6 men defensive strategy, with 5 players on man coverage (the 2 defensive midfielders, the 2 cbs and 1 fullback) and just 1 man on zone coverage (even if it's unappropriate to talk about zone coverage in that period).
and that player freed from man coverage was the other fullback.
so, as u can see, he wasn't a proper libero.
and moreover the real first catenaccio (rocco's one) provided a 4 men defensive strategy (not 6).
infact, even if the original name of rappan's formation (verrou) means "catenaccio" in italian, the italian name of that formation was never "catenaccio", but "viadema" (just to remark the difference between rappans gaming system and the real catenaccio).

Viani's gaming system (that salernitana coach mr. Foot is talking about), provided a 6 men defending strategy (as rappan's verrou and unlike rocco's catenaccio) but the sweeper role was given to the foward, who, during the non-ball possession phase, had to move backwards assuming the defender's role and being freed from man coverage duties (while all the defensive line, the 2 cbs and the fullbacks were displaced on man coverage).
so, as u can see, Viani system too was very different from the catenaccio (it would be impossible to consider a foward as a libero, of course and the number of players behind the ball line was still higher than it was with the catenaccio system).
and Viani's system too wasn't called catenaccio. it was called "mezzo-sistema" (middle system), just to stress the difference between that formation and the catenaccio.
on a side note, the foward who had to act as a sweeper in viani's salernitana was the father of Piccinini (the italian football journalist):))

definitely Rocco (during his triestina days maybe, before becoming milan's coach) studied both Rappan's and Viani's systems, to create the real catenaccio (as i said before we should consider those systems as "the first steps" in that direction), but saying that Rappan and Viani are the "fathers of the catenaccio" is a bit unappropriate.

Gerd said:
A hint about the own-goal king: he was named after the Paris Commune...so i guess his parents where very leftist. According to the book he is still loved by Cagliari fans and he scared the hell out Ricky Albertosi.
:SS
i still have no idea :-pp

Last edited:
8. A Cagliari central defender who played briefly for Italy at the 1970 World Cup was best known for his psectacular own- goals???
:w00t: got him!!

I heard about Riccardo Ferri (another own-goal guru) being compared to this player a couple of times, but I just wasn't able to remember his name.
Then I just went reading the hell about Riccardo Ferri and on gazzetta.it (the site of the most popular sports newspater in Italy) I got the name of the man you're talking about..

In the end it's funny to see that no-one seems to "know" these things, but some get very close just with "reminescences" (like the one about Chiambretti or the one about Ferri).

Still can't get the name of the Roma player that killed himself though, and this time I truly have no clue about him..

Last edited:
The answers:

1.Pro Vercelli
2 Conceto Lo Bello
3 Giuseppe Giannini (oh and Ben, i also like Redondo...)
4 Turone
5 Anti hunckback zone (hunchback brings luck, lucky Juventus)
6 Sampierdarenese and Andrea Doria
7 Viani (according to the book, i will not contradict lo zio's reasoning)
8 Comunardo Nicolai (who actuallywas a very good defender)
9 Gigi Meroni
10 Di Bartolomeo

Congratulations all questions were ecorrectly answered.
One of these days i'll do another one...

Back
Top Bottom