The Arrogance of the English Tabloids

PLF said:
But sometimes you make it sound as if Sporting vs. Boro or Sporting vs. Newcastle is supposed to end with Sporting losing!?? I don't think that

No not that, but one expected such teams, with much more finantial power than portuguese teams and surely a greated freedom to acquire better players to give up proper fight. Middlesborough was completely waked over and Newcastle got the royal beating in Lisbon... the same Sporting that was recently put away by.. Halmstads :D.

The same goes for Benfica, they had a great night but their 11 was ridiculous, the same eleven unable to win a single domestic league game for a whole month.

That's what I mean... how can this teams understandably underperform in such extent in our poor domestic league and yet show such lessons to EPL teams? Ok, Benfica was 1 in a million game but for goodness sake... how the hell was that Manchester United in second in EPL? I see second div portuguese teams playing better than that ManUtd, and with more complete teams. How can the most achieving english club ever not have a single central mid?

I'm pretty sure Motson climaxed three times during the England Argentina match in the two minutes of commentary I listened to. I only put the sound on as Dar was telling me how, er, enjoyable it was. :)

Mart said:
I'm pretty sure Motson climaxed three times during the England Argentina match in the two minutes of commentary I listened to. I only put the sound on as Dar was telling me how, er, enjoyable it was. :)

He's become a parody of himself hasn't he.

I always remember in years gone by the debate over whether Davies or Motson should get Cup Finals/World Cup Finals etc..

I never used to really like Davies but now as a more mature and discerning viewer :) I've got to the point where I find the BBC's parochial approach completely nauseating. At least Davies actually spoke to you with some authority on the World game.

db

I think the likely scenario is England will come second to Sweden and will face Germany in the last 16, with Germany playing home I'd say England have no-chance. Some will say remember the 5-1 thrashing but the Germans are a lot stronger now and I really can't see England getting past the last 16 if they face the Germans on their own soil. Then watch how pissed off the people/media will get and will probably blame Sven, the referee, the linesman, the 4th official, the opposition for diving, disallowed goals, the mascot what's his name with the talking testicle. Basically someone's to blame if England don't get to the final

I think one of the biggest signs of whether Sven has learned anything and is the right man for the future, is whether this team learns how to hold onto a lead.

Correct me if i am wrong, but until this year, i beleive all of his losses came in games where he at one point had a lead.

In the WC, they were beating Brazil. In Euro04, they were beating France, and beating Portugal before losing to both.

I guess i am surprised that is not more of a concern among the english fans and press.

MO_DINERO said:
I think the likely scenario is England will come second to Sweden and will face Germany in the last 16, with Germany playing home I'd say England have no-chance. Some will say remember the 5-1 thrashing but the Germans are a lot stronger now and I really can't see England getting past the last 16 if they face the Germans on their own soil. Then watch how pissed off the people/media will get and will probably blame Sven, the referee, the linesman, the 4th official, the opposition for diving, disallowed goals, the mascot what's his name with the talking testicle. Basically someone's to blame if England don't get to the final
I can very much see this scenario happening.

Agreed with everything you said.

denirobob said:
I always remember in years gone by the debate over whether Davies or Motson should get Cup Finals/World Cup Finals etc..

I've got to the point where I find the BBC's parochial approach completely nauseating.

db

Nauseating = Jonathan Pearce

Owen to be injured for the World Cup and Peter Crouch to start alongside Rooney.

*lol* *lol* *lol*

They'll probably go out on goal difference when they fail to beat Trinidad by more than one goal.

Remember these words of prophecy.

I think we will qualify though it is a hard group, we really do need to win our group but it will be tough. Sweden are a team I have a lot of respect for , the recent list of results have a lot to show that we should be cautious . Though only that we can beat them its just a matter of us playing like a team. Paraguay are also a side with a few decent players that can cause an upset but I hope England will do what they are capable of and win a game that they should be able to and really need to. T&T are clearly a side we should beat comfortable but lets not take nothing for granted, big Marv (to all that are in the know) is at the centre of defence and he will have the added bonus of god to help him through the situation ;) That's all I'm concerned with at the moment nothing else , don't care who we can meet in the 1/2 finals,1/4 finals or even last 16. This is all we should be concentrating on , if we want to be considered a nation as strong as Italy or France we really need to realise that we should give respect to the other teams around us.

The English media have the perfect formula for selling papers. They build the team up and get everyone into a frenzy so that they can then shoot people down when they fail.

At the moment their target is Wayne Rooney!

Nickybaker said:
The English media have the perfect formula for selling papers. They build the team up and get everyone into a frenzy so that they can then shoot people down when they fail.

At the moment their target is Wayne Rooney!

Also Man Utd is always the team they like to go in frenzy about all the time. At the moment coz we not doing well they like to make drama out of it and you get headlines like 'empire is falling', 'club crisis Fallen Fergie! Then when United do well again, its all praise and fergie proves critics wrong and shit, it really is boring. We draw against everton and i read united are desperate and mediocre team now.

I love the Scottish view on the English Papers and the English Supporters expectations on future Internationals. It makes me laugh!!

I lived in Edinburgh for 4 years and all my friends up there were Scottish - and have exactly the same opinion as what I have heard from the Scottish people online.

We have some of the best players in the world and we usually don't do too bad in the Major compititions. We all love football and want our team to do well - what is wrong with that?

I'm surprised No one has mentioned the fact we keep harping on about 1966, thats usually a favourite of the Scottish. The fact that whenever they do well or qualify for something they show Archy Gemmils goal against Holland every minute of the day!!

The Tabloids are good fun - just treat them that way, If they didn't show such an interest or glamourise football then the players and the teams would not be recieving such phenomenal amounts of money.

On our chances, I don't think we will win F*** all with Sven anyway, which is a crying shame seeing the squad we will be taking to the World Cup. And if Sven does not do well I hope the papers tear him apart! that will make me feel better!

I think the difference with Gemmell's goal is that it's only shown in Scotland, no one else has to hear about it. I think the BBC forget that the first B stands for 'British' not 'English', we'd rather watch the football without constant bias for a country which isn't our own.

ClassicD said:
I think the difference with Gemmell's goal is that it's only shown in Scotland, no one else has to hear about it. I think the BBC forget that the first B stands for 'British' not 'English', we'd rather watch the football without constant bias for a country which isn't our own.

Sounds very plausible to me Classic, but..
As European citizen from the continent i think it's an enormous oddity that there still exist English, Scottish, Welsh and Northern Ireland "national" teams..there should be a Great Brittain team...i know that every single Brittish member of this forum will disagree but that would be the normal thing. Belfium is a federalist country, i can't imagine a Flemish, Walloon or Brussels "national" team...
And imagine a team with some of the big Welsh players (i know it's couple of years ago): Southall - Hughes - Saunders - Giggs or a team with both Dalglish and Keagan as forwards...imagine George Best and Dennis Law in the 1966 team you would have really have deserved the World Cup then ...OOOPS...my mistake..sorry.

bbbybx said:
I lived in Edinburgh for 4 years and all my friends up there were Scottish - and have exactly the same opinion as what I have heard from the Scottish people online.

All your friends where Scottish? Didn't you be-friend any non-Scot's? Was it against the regulations? :mrgreen:

Oh and by the way buy a Radio and listen to your fellow English fans talking about how confident (if that's the word) they are. :roll:

FD

fd1972uk said:
Oh and by the way buy a Radio and listen to your fellow English fans talking about how confident (if that's the word) they are. :roll:

FD

the problem with phone in's is that only the mentalists phone in. I feel England have a good team and if we play well we could win it although Brazil are extremely strong. The people who phone in to radio shows are the idiots that would still think England could win the world cup if Rooney, Lampard, Gerrard and Robinson got injured and couldn't play.

Personally, I hope that England wins this next WC. And I am Spanish.

Obviously, I'd love to see Spain lift the trophy, but being realistic, I think that England make a better team, and it is very remarkable how they have trusted the same young team that went to Korea. Eriksson said that this was a 2006 project: well 2006 is around the corner, and I only miss a good keeper in England's team, maybe a replacement for Gary Neville too.

I'm so bored of Brazil. I just don't like their game anymore. They have superb strikers, but they lack "jogo bonito". Great individual skills. Zero teamplay. Plus, I believe that England currently has a lot of nice players that deserve more than they've already got.

Gedtillo said:
Personally, I hope that England wins this next WC. And I am Spanish.

I only miss a good keeper in England's team, maybe a replacement for Gary Neville too.

I don't agree with that, I feel that Gary Neville is a fantastic player and Paul Robinson has been in fantastic form for the yids this year.

I did not say that Gary Neville should not play :) I said that he has no substitute, and any team needs to have a substitute for their first eleven.

Robinson is a good keeper. Period. When you build a team you need to have a very good keeper, central defender, solid midfielder and striker. Notice the 'very', there. England has two great strikers (Owen+Rooney), two or three great midfielders (Gerrard+Lampard+Beckham), one great defender (Terry) plus another very good defender (Rio)... but they have a 'plain good' keeper. For, let's be realistic, Robinson is no Buffon-Casillas-Cech-Kahn.

Gedtillo said:
I did not say that Gary Neville should not play :) I said that he has no substitute, and any team needs to have a substitute for their first eleven.

Sorry mate that was a misunderstanding there, when you said replacement I thought you meant get rid him. I agree there then, Luke Young is not good enough as cover.

fd1972uk said:
You listen to them on purpose don't you? :)

ClassicD said:

Shit democracy sucks, well how about this , when there is some news that on the tv or any program that's English how about you don't watch it. They have invented a button on the remote that allows you too change the channel. Mute the sound even or just don't watch tv at all if its that much of a problem :P

Ah here we go, the old "turn it over you don't have to watch it" routine. You're missing the point. Do folk in the rest of the UK not pay the same license fees as those in England? We shouldn't have to turn it over to get an unbiased view, jings even if we do turn it over it makes no difference does it, it's the same on the other side. Besides the point, often the games are only shown on one channel anyway.

All that aside, I can put up with it and I can definitely understand the bias, that is not what irks me. It's the absolute constant shite streaming from Motson's mouth for example, the total over the topness of it all. Feck, even English folk in here have agreed! ;)

Vast majority of people in the UK are English, so why should the BBC cater to a minority as much as the majority? Doesn't make sense. As for licence fees, well I think they should be abolished and no one should have to pay them.

Because they pay the same license fees as English folk do and deserve to see the same quality of programme as English folk do. However this isn't how life works, I understand that, all I'm saying is maybe this will help English folk to understand the glee with which their failures are met North of the border.

Mart said:
You listen to them on purpose don't you? :)

That's the idea, usually when I make the trouble of switching on my radio and setting it to a channel, the objective is to listen to the radio. ;)

FD

ClassicD said:
Because they pay the same license fees as English folk do and deserve to see the same quality of programme as English folk do. However this isn't how life works, I understand that, all I'm saying is maybe this will help English folk to understand the glee with which their failures are met North of the border.

I think you would hate us regardless of whether the BBC existed or not. Plus, it's not exactly our football team's fault what the BBC do.

I think it was about time that you guys up North sorted out some of your own TV channels if you hate the BBC so much. But sure, it is understandable, be we get tired of hearing how much you hate us. I used to support Scotland as well as England before I found out how much you hate us and want us to lose.

Back
Top Bottom