The Alan Titchmarsh Show - "video games promote hatred, violence and sexism"

Jamezinho

Golden Boot Winner
10 June 2003
Ipswich, England
Ipswich Town F.C.
YouTube - The Alan Titchmarsh Show - "video games promote hatred, violence and sexism"

:DOH:

Aired on ITV last Friday, yet another case of the mainstream media exercising their anti-video games agenda. This kind of mindset really pisses me off.

C&VG editor Tim Ingham does an admirable job against the torrent of ill-informed ignorance in an unbalanced 3-on-1 scenario.

If you can resist the urge to put your fist through the screen, please discuss.

Wait..is that an actual TV-show on a channel that actually has viewers and do people watch that kind of crap? Jesus christ. I believe that the guy defending video games did a pretty good job - although the others weren't even listening.

Wait..is that an actual TV-show on a channel that actually has viewers and do people watch that kind of crap? Jesus christ. I believe that the guy defending video games did a pretty good job - although the others weren't even listening.

Yeah, this is on ITV1 which is one of the major channels in the UK. The show is everyday at 5pm, so it probably gets decent viewing figures.

Its the retards in the audience and those watching and booing who should be censored before they open their mouth to spew shit.

Had a similar annoyance a couple of weeks ago on the main radio station over here in NL.

Discussion program and you had some old fart moaning about 18 rated games shouldn't be played by kids. Offcourse he ignored the whole point that the parents shouldn't be buying them in the first place as they won't get sold to kids anyway over here. Or the fact that the majority of gamers are over 20 anyway. It was ok for films to be 18 rated but games was a big no no. He should put more effort into parents raising their kids better!

^ hit the nail on the head

the problem has never been the actual games, they are rated for a reason! it's the parents letting their children play these games who are at fault, bring your kids up properly or don't have kids, this why society is what it is today, because parents won't take responsibilities for their lack of actions.

rant over

I agree, the 'bad guy' defending video games was good. That blond woman is such a complete bitch! "I don't support violence in entertainment"... then remove 90% of entertainment from TV!

Many things annoyed me about this show. Firstly, Titchmarsh attacked games for not having a ratings system like the film industry, blissfully unaware of the facts - it does! Such ignorance.

Then the point about parents allowing their kids to play mature games was spectacularly missed and shouted down. Bad and/or lazy parenting is the issue here, not the content of games. Young kids don't have the money to buy these games so it's the parents that are buying the likes of GTA 4 and Modern Warfare 2 for little Jonny.

The point was also made that the average gamer is 33 years old, yet the general opinion among the ignorant and uninformed is that video games are kids toys and shouldn't deal with mature content. It's another case of people blaming society's ill's on something they don't understand. Bad parenting is the real problem, but gaming is an easy target.

It's also interesting to know that the woman on the show - Julie Peasgood - provided a voice acting roll in the survival horror game Martian Gothic: Unification. She's also written the book 'The Greatest Sex Tips in the World'. And starred in Brookside, which was all about dysfunctional families.

Not the highest moral ground to stand on.

^ great post

anybody with any common sense can see straight through this bullshit, it's only the docile parents who need something to blame for their kids being little pricks will just use this as an excuse for them being shit parents.

this topic has actually angered me

Many things annoyed me about this show. Firstly, Titchmarsh attacked games for not having a ratings system like the film industry, blissfully unaware of the facts - it does! Such ignorance.

Then the point about parents allowing their kids to play mature games was spectacularly missed and shouted down. Bad and/or lazy parenting is the issue here, not the content of games. Young kids don't have the money to buy these games so it's the parents that are buying the likes of GTA 4 and Modern Warfare 2 for little Jonny.

The point was also made that the average gamer is 33 years old, yet the general opinion among the ignorant and uninformed is that video games are kids toys and shouldn't deal with mature content. It's another case of people blaming society's ill's on something they don't understand. Bad parenting is the real problem, but gaming is an easy target.

It's also interesting to know that the woman on the show - Julie Peasgood - provided a voice acting roll in the survival horror game Martian Gothic: Unification. She's also written the book 'The Greatest Sex Tips in the World'. And starred in Brookside, which was all about dysfunctional families.

Spot on.

It's funny that the woman was basically saying her point was she doesn't like that games reward violence, which is a fair point. When the games expert tried to speak she blurted out 'hear me out' determined to get her point across with no actual proof to back her claims up. She claims one thing everyone agrees... he says that another study found the opposite.. and that was shat on and seen as lies.
Then later he was talking and she just spoke right over him shouting "I don't support violence in entertainment". Ignoring the 'game experts' points about violence in films and books completely and forgetting her own hypocrisy of working on a M rated video game herself.

You have films that portray violence in a positive fashion as well, like say Rocky... you want Rocky to beat up his opponents. Terminator... you want the terminator to kill the bad guys. Die Hard, you want Bruce Willis to kill the terrorists. The reward there is the satisfaction that the bad guys met their end, get what was coming to them. The only real difference is in a game, you press the buttons to initiate the action.

I thought it was funny too that that old guy brought up the subject that years ago games weren't that violent. And that today's game are terrible. Then said that one of The Bulger killers played games years ago and it affected him. All the while completely ignoring the point that the kids should have been allowed to have those games in the first place. I have no idea what Alan was blabbering on about when he said 'but you can't stop children getting into your house and putting games on'. I was hoping someone would have countered with 'Yes you can stop children playing games... it's called parenting'.

No one seemed to want to hear that point because it put the responsibility on themselves. And we all know the morons out there don't want to have to parent their own children any more than they already have to.

Last edited:
I think the only person who has been affected by video games is Jay. Other than that, that blond lady pisses me right off. Video games are great, been playing them since I was 8.

Well if she ever get's raped the rapist can just use her book as an excuse.......After all she agree's with that point of view.

The violence we see in games is no different to the violence we see in movies, thats just society and culture.

One issue is, games are addictive and it's not morally right for them to reward violence. Even though it's just virtual reality actually killing people because of personal input is still different to watching people being killed in a movie, some people not just kids are easily influenced.

The overriding point is parents shouldn't let kids buy or play violent over 18 games and people need to show they are mature enough to know it's supposed to be just fun and to be enjoyed rather than to be taken seriously.

I feel it's a reflection of how society is, when many popular games are violent ones :) I don't complain it's just fun really, still look up the Illuminati and you many understand why violence is being glorified more and more in society even if it's regulated well.

She's from Grimsby, you can't really hold it against her that she's fucked in the head ;)

You forgot to mention she also did voice overs for Playboy ;)

This show is terrible at best, the only reason it gets any ratings is because people just leave the tv on while making dinner.

Alan Titmarsh with his Call of Duty 2, Modern Warfare :/ Off to a great start there Alan, well done, clearly know your stuff. Then he mumbles on about game ratings (clearly not realising games are rated), makes some terrible point that children can't be stopped going into homes :/ ??? Stupid gardener doesn't know what the hell he's yapping about.

Then the other two just blurting out gamer facts like they've studied the industry at length, when really you can blatantly tell they've been handed those facts 5 mins before they've gone on. The woman is a hypocrite as she's been in TV shows which use violence to entertain and the guy... well a few words springs to mind every time I see that smug ****.

The whole show is basically one massive waste of time and money.

Back
Top Bottom