The 50 best players outside the Premiership

gerd

Retired Footballer
8 January 2002
Over the moon
KRC Genk, Spurs
I really love lists and discussion around it. Four-Four-Two made a list of the 50 best players outside the Premiership. Thought this could be interesting for discussion. The number 1 is the best and so on.

1 Steve Sidwell (MF) Reading
2 Nathan Ellington (FW) Wigan
3 Darren Bent (FW) Ipswich
4 Teddy Sheringham (FW) West Ham
5 Jason Roberts (FW) Wigan
6 Danny Gabbidon (CB) Cardiff
7 Jimmy Bullard (MF) Wigan
8 Julio Arca (LB, LMF) Sunderland
9 Stuart Elliott (LMF, LFW) Hull
10 Leighton Baines (LB) Wigan

11 David Healy (FW) Leeds
12 Phil Jagielka (Defender, MF) Sheffield United
13 Lee Trundle (FW) Swansea
14 Nigel Reo Coker (MF) West Ham
15 Paul Mc Kenna (MF) Preston North End
16 Curtis Davies (CB) Luton Town
17 Ade Akinbiyi (FW) Stoke City
18 Andy Lonergan (GK) Preston North End
19 Aaron Lennon (RW) Leeds
20 Leroy Lita (FW) Bristol City

21 Steve Howard (FW) Luton
22 John Halls (CB) Stoke
23 Lee Johnson (MF) Yeovil
24 Nick Barmby (FW) Hull City
25 Sam Parkin (FW) Swindon
26 Daniel Harding (LB) Brighton
27 Phil Jevons (FW) Yeovil
28 Tom Huddlestone (DF, MF) Derby County
29 Lee Camp (GK) Derby County
30 Paul Ince (MF) Wolves

31 Dean Windass (FW) Bradford City
32 Dave Kitson (FW) Reading
33 Stephen Elliott (FW) Sunderland
34 Iain Hume (FW) Tranmere Rovers
35 Luke Steele (GK) (Coventry)
36 Ryan Taylor (Tranmere) (RB)
37 Heidar Helguson (FW) (Watford)
38 Leon Knight (FW) Brighton
39 Steven Maclean (FW) Sheffield Wednesday
40 Nathan Clarke (CB) Huddersfield Town

41 Danny Webber (FW) Watford
42 Paul Furlong (FW) QPR
43 Darren Currie (MF) Ipswich
44 Jamal Campbell-Ryce (MF) Rotheram
45 Paul Hayes (FW) Scunthorpe
46 John Ruddy (GK) Cambridge
47 David Vaughan (RW) Crewe
48 Richie Wellens (MF) Blackpool
49 David Noble (MF) Boston
50 Jamie Brooks (FW) Oxford United.

Lots of forwards in this list....

That list is pretty shit

Granted Huddlestone and Camp are good but Idiakez and Tommy Smith had played better this season

Sheringham 4th????? Trundle 13th?? there having a giraffe

gerd said:
30 Paul Ince (MF) Wolves

paul ince is still active? man how old is this guy already? i remember him playing for england in the 1996 european cup. but wait a minute, wasn't sheringham playing there aswell?

gerd said:
46 John Ruddy (GK) Cambridge

btw a few years back i won 2:1 against the youth team of cambridge united with my local club at an european youth tournament. is that cambridge united playing in the 2nd league? i also remember peterborough united winning the cup and trashing us 7:0. were are they playing now?

2 Nathan Ellington :shock:

the ammount of chances he misses is amazing, he should have around 35 goals this season

This list is full of fossils such as ince,sheringham,nick barmby and so on.
My english teacher always tells me to make a point then a proof this is a prime example.

julien said:
paul ince is still active? man how old is this guy already? i remember him playing for england in the 1996 european cup. but wait a minute, wasn't sheringham playing there aswell?

Incey is 37, and still reckons he might be up for another season..:applause:

Not really sure about that list to be honest.....It needs more Seol ;)

I forgot to mention the list was as result of lists made by fellow players and journalists...i made the thread in order to discuss it and i know that every list is pretty subjective. But people who say that such lists are crap (Coopz) or that there are plenty of "fossils" in the list (sheep) should know that the "jury" consisted of people who should know rather well since they watch those clubs or play against these players every week...Lets face it's not because we all think we know everything about football, that we effectively do...
I don't see what age as to do with being a good player or not...and about the younger players: your future national team could be in that list. I wonder what you guys would say if these players would play for England and one of us foreigners should have the audacity to crticize them...Just let's see in a couple of seasons...

gerd said:
15 Paul Mc Kenna (MF) Preston North End

Heard that guy can hypnotise teams with his skills. :roll:

FD

p.s. Dean Windass is there. hahahaha..................what an egg-yoke.

Bloody'ell Richie Wellens is a tosser! He is absolutely shit and soooo over rated. He trys all fancy shit which works 5% of the time and that gets him no where. "40 yards out...OH AND HERE'S WELLENS!!!! ooh he wont want to see that again" There are much better players in blackpool's squad than him, for example Peter Clarke, he has had an amazing season.

where's michael tonge.....? interest from premiership for him is always there but sheffield united cling on. i cant believe he hasnt even feautured in the top 50...he should realistically be in top 10 definately,get it sorted boys!
how can i get to be a moderator?

i'm even more outraged to see the likes of oxford players in the top 50 despite only one sheffield unied player being there. danny webber, michael tonge, steve kabba are to name but a few players who would not only hold their own in the premiership but will prove so when they carry the mighty blades there!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom