Tennis World Tour 2

ThomasGOAL

Retired Footballer
15 March 2003
France
BIGBEN INTERACTIVE AND BREAKPOINT STUDIO ANNOUNCE TENNIS WORLD TOUR

BIGBEN AND BREAKPOINT STUDIO ANNOUNCE TENNIS WORLD TOUR

Lesquin, May 18th, 2017
. Bigben and Breakpoint are pleased to announce Tennis World Tour, the new standard for tennis games, due for release in 2018 on consoles and PC.

In order to make the best possible game and match players' expectations, the studio has brought in an experienced team which has worked on the "Top Spin" license.

Pierre André, Game Designer on Tennis World Tour and former Producer on "Top Spin 4": "For years we've wanted to create a new tennis game, a spiritual successor to "Top Spin 4". Technical evolutions now mean we can create the ultra-realistic simulation that we've been dreaming of."

Benoît Clerc, Director of Video Games at Bigben: "We are proud to give to all tennis fans a game worthy of their enthusiasm. The level of quality, wealth of content and game mechanics will ensure Tennis World Tour is one of the best sport simulations on the market."

This desire to provide a faithful tennis simulation translates into demanding gameplay during rally, a wide range of playing styles and a strategic preparation that influences the course of each match.

In addition to that, Tennis World Tour lets you experience the career of a professional: more than 30 playable tennis stars including Roger Federer, Gaël Monfils, Angelique Kerber, Garbiñe Muguruza and many more.

More information about the game will be provided during Gamescom 2017.

Join us on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube.

Bigben Games @bigbeninteract Bigben Games

About Bigben
Bigben is a major video game publisher, designer and distributor of mobile phone and gaming accessories as well as audio products. The group, recognised for its innovation and creativity, aspires to become a European leader in each of the sectors it is active in www.bigben.eu

About Breakpoint
Breakpoint is a videogame development studio dedicated to sports. Created by industry veterans, the team includes several experts who participated to the development of the Top Spin series, as well as professional sport consultants - high-level players and coaches.

"TOP SPIN" and "TOP SPIN 4" are trademarks of Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc.

Last edited:
Nice, thanks Thomas!

Always happy to see more sports sims (they make it sound like a serious attempt).

That's great news, thanks for the info.

It's about time that we had a tennis game on the PS4.

will it be this good?
sick animations!
wonder if will get another top spin game? 2K made such vast improvements.
i can get into some online tennis gaming

ok, i see this is the top spin developers

Last edited:
Top Spin maker rallies on with Tennis World Tour
The game he wanted to make, but couldn’t

694895722.0.jpg

Pierre André still carries around the feeling from six years ago. I asked him about it last week and he responded like it had all happened the day before. "Oh, it felt like crap," the video game developer said, spitting out the words.

2K Sports' cancellation of the Top Spin series at the end of 2011 was little regarded at the time and less remembered today. But it really did kill a series at the apex of its appeal. Sports video gaming has eternal martyrs like NFL 2K and MVP Baseball and NCAA Football, but for a series terminated in its prime by the publisher — not by a lawsuit, bankruptcy or an exclusive licensing agreement — no waste of genius stands out quite like Top Spin's.

"It meant throwing it all in the trashcan and never doing it again," said André. "Not only that, but the team would never be working together again."

Today, André and a handful of his old 2K Czech mates are together working on what they consider the proper heir to their work on Top Spin 4. Tennis World Tour, announced back in May, is coming in 2018 under publisher Bigben Interactive, which has delivered a number of boutique sports titles, from handball to rally racing, to consoles and PC over the past two years.

"We're approaching World Tour like we would have with Top Spin 5," André told me by phone during E3 2017, "in that the game will be very close to what we had in mind for Top Spin, with the shot control and the movement of the player models. The meta-gameplay and tactical, strategic layer is where we will be innovating the most."

"What we would have done on Top Spin 5," said André "is in the character building, the playing style and the player's strategies." That will all be realized in Tennis World Tour, he promised, wrapped in a career layer that indulges the player in the feeling of being a top professional in world tennis, with off-the-court interactions coming into play, too.

Tennis World Tour will step in as the first full-featured, simulation quality sports video game for tennis on the current console generation, when it launches. That means the usual suite of created-player customizations, a career mode and licensed professionals to battle against throughout a championship season. Tennis World Tour won't have ATP or WTA licensing and its venues and championships will all be fictitious, but against that roster of real-world all-stars, André and four other Top Spin alumni hope to deliver what they would have if they got the chance to do Top Spin 5.

"It's going to be much more open, much more elaborate than just a character and statistics," André said. "You're going to have a game plan, you'll have a skill deck, and you will have to make a game plan for your next match, how this will play out based on your skills and weaknesses," and the other player's.

For example, Roger Federer (who will appear in the game) is a notorious slow starter, even as a winner of 18 grand slam tournaments. Not only will a player have to strategize to take the lead on him in the early sets, they'll have to weather his inevitable wake-up late in the match.

"At some point, he will start attempting very unique shots, and start making tricky rallies," André said. "A single player with a specific match plan and attitude can find and fight him. He may not be dangerous at the beginning of the match, so this is where you have to take him."

Yet Rafael Nadal (pictured above), who just won his 10th French Open title, "is going to be extremely demoralizing to play against," André said, for his ability to fetch everything at the baseline.

Breakpoint Studio, the venture created to deliver Tennis World Tour for Bigben, can concentrate on such subtleties even as it builds the rest of the game from whole cloth because of the lessons André and others have already learned. "There's no working in the dark, trying to feel how aiming or shot power should work," he said. "We know how these elements should be balanced together. This is the kind of knowledge we've acquired."

Breakpoint Studio is a team of about 20 and it will scan in more than 30 professionals by the time Tennis World Tour launches next year. Despite the small team size, André is confident that technology available today, which wasn't around six years ago, will help them pull through to a finished product of console sports simulation quality.

Even if Tennis World Tour ends up as the redemption of Top Spin, the disappointment that Top Spin is gone still lingers. André and his cohort had made tennis, of all things, viable as a console video game series, with as much right to be on the shelf as Madden or Pro Evolution Soccer. More than just functioning or being a cult favorite with message-board enthusiasts, Top Spin 4 was a critical success.

"When you do a sports video game and you're iterating on specific features and technology, and you can brng it to a high level of quality, and especially when you get critical acclaim, you're feeling validation," he said. "You know you can keep the game up there in the rarefied atmosphere with games like NBA 2K." That's what made the cancellation so painful. It would be one thing to wash out as loser in sales or the Metacritic score, but Top Spin 4 beat both expectations.

"It was at the point where it would not become a risk anymore," André said proudly. The only thing the developer could control, quality, would not give the publisher qualms. Still, 2K had them in 2011, and so that was that.

Tennis World Tour will be Pierre André's reply, his statement they were wrong. Few video game developers get the chance of such a rebuttal, much less six years after the fact.

Roster File is Polygon’s column on the intersection of sports and video games.

https://www.polygon.com/e3/2017/6/1...ion-4-xbox-one-tennis-world-tour-pierre-andre

I wonder if they have anything to show at Gamescom this year.

I didn't mind Top Spin too much just remember it being incredibly easy once you learnt to play the game, and that only took 45 mins.

But the main thing for me is the game to have a proper career mode - similar to Game, Net, Match and Tennis Elbow.

Id love a good tennis game? Whats currently out there for PS4 and what is the next tennis game being released. Online games would be sick as I never played a tennis game or tried it online.

Players list updated :

Roger Federer
Gaël Monfils
Angélique Kerber
Garbiñe Muguruza
Caroline Wozniacki
Nick Kyrgios
Alexander Zverev
John Isner

I wouldn't worry about what the trailer looks like..
Yes it doesn't look good, but it is using bad camera angles and is just a cut scene.

To me it is all about how the game plays and that there is decent career mode, but I am looking forward more to the new Tennis Elbow.

Hopefully it's nothing like the poor Top Spin games and has some nuance and depth to the shot system -- variety of drop shots, lobs, spins etc... Need to be able to place the ball anywhere on the court.

As Gunslinger said, it needs to be better than TS4 in terms of shot organicness.............and how the hell Bond!JamesBond! and thousands of others (no offence Mr 007 please don't chase me!!!!) were content with TS4's shot system is beyond me.

For TS4, the 2K website at the time advertised itself as having the most realistic gameplay and shot variety.............................................when in reality EVERY single ground stroke....................had the ball flying in a perfectly str8 line.................yes, indeed, ground strokes never had any side spin on them, as you would get in real life (especially with Nadal). The only shots with any sidespin were the serves.

Virtua Tennis 4 (Grand Slam Tennis as well), which was ridiculed by so called experts everywhere for its general gameplay, had sidespin on the ground strokes, but was deemed to be a pile of shit. Not by me though, organic ball movement in games is essential for realism, and lets not get me started on the Don Bradman Cricket games where every shot that is airborne and heading towards the boundary...................always travels in a perfectly str8 line................arghhhh!!!!!

Just imagine, if PES or FIFA were to have the same issue, all crosses and shots depicting the ball in flight having no natural bend on it..........

So hopefully this new Tennis game has ball physics sorted................not holding my breath though...

What is this ? It looks terrible ... Forhand, backhand, serve, volley all of them unrealistic ... At least they tried to simulate the players techniques ... It looks funny look at Federers technique:)

Last edited:
Tell me about it... the shots don't look realistic at all.. kinda like a squash player whacking the ball as hard as he can (not top spin), yet the ball still miraculously lands in the court. Wow.
Anyways.. Full Ace tennis simulator came out recently, and although it looks better than this, I did play the demo (not full version), but I'm still thinking Tennis Elbow 2013 (with patches) is the best tennis game we have. I played it for a couple of hours last night.. and really it is amazing. So playable gameplay wise and easy to pick up, yet difficult to master when playing pro difficulty since it really is a sim, and any wrong type shot or bad player positioning results in an error. Such a great game :) Even learnt about a new shot the other night, where you can manually hit a short/shallow top spin across court, for a better angle to set up your next shot across the other side the court. Currently playing Junior level on sub level 10. Next ill go Pro level on sub level 3 , hopefully working my way up to 10. Anways... amazing that we are in 2018 and still the tennis games that come out are really really really bad.. wow... how hard could it be..

btw, did anyone ever play world pro tennis 98 (jap) on psx.. now that was well beyond its time, and again was a true tennis sim where you could actually hit the ball out on purpose based on how early you swung, and foot positioning, ie. you can aim for pretty much anywhere on the court, unlike games such as Mario tennis (still liked it though) and virtual tennis, where errors were few and far between. If you haven't, try it.. for me the best tennis game ever, before tennis elbow 13 came out.

Tell me about it... the shots don't look realistic at all.. kinda like a squash player whacking the ball as hard as he can (not top spin), yet the ball still miraculously lands in the court. Wow.
Anyways.. Full Ace tennis simulator came out recently, and although it looks better than this, I did play the demo (not full version), but I'm still thinking Tennis Elbow 2013 (with patches) is the best tennis game we have. I played it for a couple of hours last night.. and really it is amazing. So playable gameplay wise and easy to pick up, yet difficult to master when playing pro difficulty since it really is a sim, and any wrong type shot or bad player positioning results in an error. Such a great game :) Even learnt about a new shot the other night, where you can manually hit a short/shallow top spin across court, for a better angle to set up your next shot across the other side the court. Currently playing Junior level on sub level 10. Next ill go Pro level on sub level 3 , hopefully working my way up to 10. Anways... amazing that we are in 2018 and still the tennis games that come out are really really really bad.. wow... how hard could it be..

btw, did anyone ever play world pro tennis 98 (jap) on psx.. now that was well beyond its time, and again was a true tennis sim where you could actually hit the ball out on purpose based on how early you swung, and foot positioning, ie. you can aim for pretty much anywhere on the court, unlike games such as Mario tennis (still liked it though) and virtual tennis, where errors were few and far between. If you haven't, try it.. for me the best tennis game ever, before tennis elbow 13 came out.

I have seen some Tennis Elbow videos on Youtube, i think the running animations could use some work, but you can tell right away that there are endless variations for every Rally, will definately try it in the coming week

have never played world pro tennis unfortunately, crazy to think a game from 20 years ago had that much depth, will check it out

yep tennis elbow needs to update the animations, also, some shots like diving are not included. But overall it really shines in the feel of tennis, having a lot to do with the awesome ball physics, and shot mechanics (including its affect due to poor footwork or mistiming shots). Apparently there will be an updated tennis elbow 4 (I think they are calling it) which is supposed to be an updated version to be released sometime at the end of this year (beta) and full version next year. One man team.. can you believe it. Keeping the same gameplay mechanics and fixing animations and increasing variations, itll surely be a winner.

Speaking of World Pro Tennis '98 for psx.. holy shit its unknown. Couldn't find one video clip on the entire web... crazy. You can only see basic info including screens. Try it on emulator if you can. I found out about it quite some time ago (before I found out about tennis elbow), and then bought a copy on ebay. I may have to make a clip on youtube lol

tennis-world-tour-photo-5aabafb3878b3.jpg

Preorder bonus :
- Andre Agassi (1995 outfit)
- Wilson Pro Staff 97RF (Roger Federer racket)

tennis-world-tour-photo-5aabafb428ebd.jpg

Legends Edition :
- Andre Agassi (1995 outfit)
- John McEnroe (1990 outfit)
- Wilson Pro Staff 97RF (Roger Federer racket)
- Wilson Pro Staff 97
- Exclusive coach providing experience bonus
- A title "legend" for the multiplayer mode
- 5 aptitude cards
- The Nike "Spring 2018" outfit from Roger Federer, available in Career mode

Back
Top Bottom