Tapatalk

Discussion in 'The Site' started by Mart, 2 September 2016.

1. Mart

Mart Executive Janitor Staff

28 February 2002
    NYC
    Darlington FC
    A few people have mentioned this so I thought it merited its own thread. I did not install Tapatalk on here but am not necessarily against it. These are the points I made in the Migration thread so please add your thoughts in here:

They don't have a good reputation for forum owners and there is an inherent security risk in how their software is implemented (i.e. it gets direct access to the database) so it makes me uncomfortable now everything else is more secure.

I'm doing more research into Tapatalk - just Google Tapatalk security and you'll see where my concerns come from. I do know some people rely on it and didn't exclude it lightly.

Would a separate Evo-Web app work (with notifications) or is the fact you can use multiple forums with it the bigger deal?

2. Placebo

Placebo Ԁlɐɔǝqo

3 May 2003
    La Manga Del Mar Menor, Spain.
    Sheffield Wednesday
    I won't be sad to no longer see "sent from my (insert shitty ass phone name here) using tapatalk" underneath people's posts!

3. Mart

28 February 2002
    NYC
    Darlington FC
    It annoys me when browsing on my phone as well because it takes over the whole screen to offer you Tapatalk. At least it used to, that might just have been my lazy configuration too.

4. P34SEMM

P34SEMM @iam_emmo

2 November 2011
    Romford
    Liverpool FC
    It's just handy to have all the forums on one app

5. Nisoley

Nisoley Premiership

10 May 2005
    Stuttgart
    Exactly my thoughts. I really like it to read through "my" forums.

6. Chris Davies

Chris Davies Chief PESsimist Staff

14 May 2003
    Tranmere Rovers
    I miss the post notifications from Tapatalk, got to say - saves having to reload the website over and over and/or subscribe to emails.

I've tuned into the PES 2017 thread this morning and I'm struggling to find the first unread post in there, too.

An app of some kind would be useful - but I can understand the security concerns with Tapatalk.

7. we7god

we7god Kreisklassen-Profi

15 August 2003
    Germany - Soester Börde
    FC Schalke 04
    I like the idea of having all forums at once like in tapatalk.
    If you don't want to implement it due to security issues I can understand - if there could be a separate evo-web app, this would be ok for me - is more comfortable than adjusting the size of the web page on my mobile device ;)

8. Mart

28 February 2002
    NYC
    Darlington FC
    Ok, well a mobile app is currently being developed and I'm signing up for it to at least try it out. iOS first then Android early next year.

9. P34SEMM

P34SEMM @iam_emmo

2 November 2011
    Romford
    Liverpool FC
    Please put this back on tapatalk. The site isn't great on iPads or iPhones. I like I can turn on tapatalk and when I go to thread it takes me to the first post I haven't read.

10. Mart

28 February 2002
    NYC
    Darlington FC
    That's how this forum works anyway regarding going to the first unread post for you in a thread (if it isn't you might want to mark all forums read to clear everything out). It works fine on tablets and phones too - if you have a specific issue please let me know so it can be addressed.

There are benefits to a mobile app-style interface with notifications etc. but at the moment I'm leaning towards a separate app for the reasons listed above.

11. lazoli

lazoli Premiership

16 February 2005
    Any news about the separate app?

Mart likes this.
  12. Mart

28 February 2002
    NYC
    Darlington FC
    Thanks for the reminder. We should have an app or two to trial in the next couple of weeks. I'll start a new thread when it's time.

lazoli likes this.
  13. lazoli

lazoli Premiership

16 February 2005
    Thank you!

14. gerd

gerd Retired Footballer

8 January 2002
    Over the moon
    KRC Genk, Spurs
    With my 55 years i'm a dinosaur, so i can ask this question without blushing...

What is tapatalk?

15. superleeds1

superleeds1 72 Veteran Staff

16 July 2004
    Gods County
    LUFC O.K.
    It improves forum access from a mobile device, over and above the forum software itself.