Tactical Defending

kamy100

Premiership
9 June 2003
Blackburn, UK
It seems that this is creating a lot of debate amongst people who have been playing FIFA 12.

I am really struggling with this aspect of the game, have watched some tutorials but cannot grasp the basic concept, I find contain to be fairly useless, but using "jockey" more effective. Unless I am doing something wrong it seems that it is nigh on impossible to get the ball back from the AI until they get near your box.

Consequently I am yet to win a game on career mode, I am going to stick with it in the hope I get better at this, I don't want to go back to "legacy defending" as that involved very little skill.

I think just about all of us have moved contain over to RB/R1 and 2nd press back to X/Square as before, makes a big difference, tactical defending is definitely more difficult but that's the point really, maybe lower your skill level (I'm playing on Pro rather than the normal WC) and just watch the ball at all times and try not to lunge in and commit yourself else you'll be punished.

I haven't changed my buttons around, you get used to them after a short time. 90% of my defending is done using only the thumbsticks and triggers anyway.

I find contain to be fairly useless, but using "jockey" more effective.
I very rarely (almost never) use the actual Contain function, whereas I'm constantly using the Jockey button (and Sprint Jockey when appropriate, so basically the two triggers) while repositioning my defenders.

I find that this gives me finer control rather than just holding Contain and locking on, because I can define better where I want to 'force' the dribbler to go, and also control when I move in or back off.

Unless I am doing something wrong it seems that it is nigh on impossible to get the ball back from the AI until they get near your box.
As in real life, players will take fewer risks with the ball the nearer they are to their own goal. So if you're thinking you can wade in and tackle a centre-back or a deep midfielder in their own half, they are understandably not going to let you get close. They'll move away or shift the ball to a teammate. It's only when they get around your area, where the space is also more compressed, that they will take more risks with the ball in an attempt to make something happen. This seems logical. But it doesn't mean you can't force them backwards, harry them into a bad pass or anticipate for an interception.

Some opinions:

1. Most importantly, approach defending as a collective team exercise rather than a 1v1 drill. If you're focussing too much on the ball and not what everyone else is doing, you're going to be dissected.

2a. You need to defend by retaining your team's formation and staying organised, so use the right thumbstick to select specific players and keep your shape. Always be wary of being pulled out of position. If the dribbler cuts inside from the wing and dribbles across half the width of the pitch, pass him on to a central player rather than chasing him endlessly. Maintain your shape at all times.

2b. On that note, use the Teammate Contain sparingly. Don't lean on it like a crutch, or your players will be pulled out of position. Use it only at a strategic moment, e.g. to help contain the dribbler while you shut off his passing options. Don't hold it for long, and don't use it without fully considering the gaps that your teammate might end up leaving.

3a. You need to defend by anticipating and blocking passing lanes. Teammates not under your control can make a reasonable effort at remaining goalside of a dribbler, so sometimes it's better for you to flick selection to a different player and move him into a potential passing lane, denying that pass (or intercepting if it is attempted). Prioritise blocking off the forward passes. The more difficult you make it for the opponent to pass forwards, the fewer chances/goals you'll concede.

deny4.jpg

3b. Similarly, if you're jockeying the dribbler, always anticipate where he might want to play the ball next. You can 'shade' him to either side, positioning your defender in a way that stops him from squeezing an expected pass beyond you down a particular side.

4. You need to defend by denying options. Thinking one step ahead. This is the key to effective pressing, and it's how Barcelona do it:

pressing1.jpg

pressing2.jpg

The opponent cannot play through you if he has nobody to pass to. If he has nobody to pass to, you can close in and force him either away from your goal or to lose the ball.

5. If the opponent releases a pass, don't always immediately follow the ball. Sometimes it's better to track his next movement for a moment to ensure that he doesn't just slip past to receive the one-two.

6. Know who your strong players are. When you do get close to an opponent, a strong defender can be more aggressive with the 'Push/Pull' feature and muscle them out of it.

7. If you find that attackers are skipping around you too easily... it means you're simply too close. Back off. Jockey at a distance of an extra yard or two away and you'll find that you can react to their changes of direction much more comfortably.

8. Above all, remain patient and wait for your chance to make a successful tackle. Eventually you'll force them into a rushed/difficult pass, or you'll channel them into traffic, and then you can pounce. But only at the right time.

Last edited:
No problem. Good luck, and practice makes, well, better ;)

To summarise it to something a bit more easily digestible, it's really as simple as anticipating where your opponent wants to move the ball next, and then making sure you're already positioning a defender to obstruct that. Whether that's by jockeying a dribbler, stepping into a passing lane or marking a man, the same basic principle applies. By thinking ahead and being pro-active, you'll create opportunities for interceptions, tackles or forced errors.

Last edited:
Thanks very much for the guide I'll give TD another shot also to see if it can make the game more realistic for me.

The only other issue I've had is with scoring, I can't score many goals at all!

I'll also confirm it's too easy to run around the LB/RB with a winger and make your way into the box or into an excellent crossing position.

I pretty much defend the same, essentially you defend to deny space rather than defend to win the ball back, of course when you do get the ball back it's a bonus :)

Thanks guys for the tips. I put into practice what has been suggested and viola defending finally clicked! Last three games I have won 2 and drawn the other, you do have to concentrate all the time and make sure as Placebo says you defend space rather than win the ball back.

Have to say that TD adds a whole new dimension to the gameplay and is so much better than the old system which required little or no concentration.

Thanks again for the advice.

The only time I use contain is when the AI gets the ball into a crossing position out wide really. Seems to force him into cutting inside or going backwards.

I mostly do what nerf says really, jockeying most of the time but I also like to take control of a CB and use the double pressure to initiate some pressure on the guy with the ball. While doing that, I'm keeping my CB in position which leaves me more solid when it comes to through passes. I can often position my CB and intercept one-two's around the box using this method.

That's when it works. Generally the AI is hitting me with musical instruments too.....;)

I turned legacy defending on last night and played a few games to see how that went. It might be controversial, but I think the game might be better balanced (atleast initially...) in legacy mode this year. Admittedly I do a lot of jockeying anyway so I'm not a pressure-whore (and resorted to not tackling in 11 just to add some challenge to defending) so that might be why atm I appreciate the older setting.

With the AI turning still being used and player strength and balance also still present you can't really just run in and win balls as much now. You still have the issue that if you can run head on you will win the ball too easily (which is a shame), but most of the time with the AI turning to keep possesion and their balance/strength combined with the AI keeping the ball on the wrongside (for example on their left whilst my defender is on their right) you can't just run into them, they maintain possesion. Meaning you end up trying to shepard them away from goal, or if desperate use a slide tackle to block them.

By the end of the week I might have mastered it again and made it too easy (and switched back to TD), but for those really struggling and gettting frustrated it might be worth a try just to get used to the other new basics in the game before moving on to TD.

I usually never uses the square defending on fifa, i only use X to jockey and take the ball automatically getting close to attacker.

Personally i didn´t like this new fifa defense, i still prefer the PES. In PES they end up with constant pressure by using X with more intelligence and not changing controls. Pressing two buttons to tackle is too complicated.

Good posts Nerf. That's exactly how I've been using it and I've reverted back to the default button layout. Works beautifully. Laughing hard at my mates who tell me they can't just hold buttons down now. Shows you that's all people were doing in the first place ;)

In my case, I haven't changed the button layout.

I don't tend to contain but make sure that i have a selected player ALWAYS in front of the ball carrier (tend to swap players constantly to avoid leaving his position opened rather than running behind the ball) or watching runs of the opponent to close gaps and move there whenever required and take assistance from team mate to hold the ball carrier. Approach and timing is key to make successful tackles.

Jockeying find it very useful when defending wingers as well pressing circle (PS3) when running shoulder against shoulder. Be careful when tacking in the box I have concedeed many penalties but I have also provoked many with high rating dribble and low balance players. I have also found that pressing X (PS3) in your area is a good alternative for touching the player a tad and as result stealing the ball without incurring in a penalty.

I haven't changed my buttons around, you get used to them after a short time. 90% of my defending is done using only the thumbsticks and triggers anyway.

I very rarely (almost never) use the actual Contain function, whereas I'm constantly using the Jockey button (and Sprint Jockey when appropriate, so basically the two triggers) while repositioning my defenders.

I find that this gives me finer control rather than just holding Contain and locking on, because I can define better where I want to 'force' the dribbler to go, and also control when I move in or back off.

As in real life, players will take fewer risks with the ball the nearer they are to their own goal. So if you're thinking you can wade in and tackle a centre-back or a deep midfielder in their own half, they are understandably not going to let you get close. They'll move away or shift the ball to a teammate. It's only when they get around your area, where the space is also more compressed, that they will take more risks with the ball in an attempt to make something happen. This seems logical. But it doesn't mean you can't force them backwards, harry them into a bad pass or anticipate for an interception.

Some opinions:

1. Most importantly, approach defending as a collective team exercise rather than a 1v1 drill. If you're focussing too much on the ball and not what everyone else is doing, you're going to be dissected.

2a. You need to defend by retaining your team's formation and staying organised, so use the right thumbstick to select specific players and keep your shape. Always be wary of being pulled out of position. If the dribbler cuts inside from the wing and dribbles across half the width of the pitch, pass him on to a central player rather than chasing him endlessly. Maintain your shape at all times.

2b. On that note, use the Teammate Contain sparingly. Don't lean on it like a crutch, or your players will be pulled out of position. Use it only at a strategic moment, e.g. to help contain the dribbler while you shut off his passing options. Don't hold it for long, and don't use it without fully considering the gaps that your teammate might end up leaving.

3a. You need to defend by anticipating and blocking passing lanes. Teammates not under your control can make a reasonable effort at remaining goalside of a dribbler, so sometimes it's better for you to flick selection to a different player and move him into a potential passing lane, denying that pass (or intercepting if it is attempted). Prioritise blocking off the forward passes. The more difficult you make it for the opponent to pass forwards, the fewer chances/goals you'll concede.

deny4.jpg

3b. Similarly, if you're jockeying the dribbler, always anticipate where he might want to play the ball next. You can 'shade' him to either side, positioning your defender in a way that stops him from squeezing an expected pass beyond you down a particular side.

4. You need to defend by denying options. Thinking one step ahead. This is the key to effective pressing, and it's how Barcelona do it:

pressing1.jpg

pressing2.jpg

The opponent cannot play through you if he has nobody to pass to. If he has nobody to pass to, you can close in and force him either away from your goal or to lose the ball.

5. If the opponent releases a pass, don't always immediately follow the ball. Sometimes it's better to track his next movement for a moment to ensure that he doesn't just slip past to receive the one-two.

6. Know who your strong players are. When you do get close to an opponent, a strong defender can be more aggressive with the 'Push/Pull' feature and muscle them out of it.

7. If you find that attackers are skipping around you too easily... it means you're simply too close. Back off. Jockey at a distance of an extra yard or two away and you'll find that you can react to their changes of direction much more comfortably.

8. Above all, remain patient and wait for your chance to make a successful tackle. Eventually you'll force them into a rushed/difficult pass, or you'll channel them into traffic, and then you can pounce. But only at the right time.

Great writing nerf. Thanks

Mastering Right stick player switching is a must I feel, I've been forcing myself to use it with the demo and the key thing to note is that the switching is always dependent on the location of your currently selected player, in other words if you want to move from your right back to your center back you just flick down on the Right stick, I've gone from thinking it was completely random to getting the right player 75 percent of the time, you just have to practice at it and get a feel for when it's quicker just to use L1 to switch to the nearest player.

No problem. Good luck, and practice makes, well, better ;)

To summarise it to something a bit more easily digestible, it's really as simple as anticipating where your opponent wants to move the ball next, and then making sure you're already positioning a defender to obstruct that. Whether that's by jockeying a dribbler, stepping into a passing lane or marking a man, the same basic principle applies. By thinking ahead and being pro-active, you'll create opportunities for interceptions, tackles or forced errors.
Any tips for defending in MLO. When my forwards run through the other players defenders just seam to hold onto mine and i cant shake of and if my faster players get through there slow defenders catch up fast and proceed to just hold my player back this is so annoying as the simplest of through balls and my defence with quick defenders are cut open like there just not there. And in general other players pressing interceptions just seam so easy where as i feel as if im fighting war just to get ball bk. maybe my defending is just brutal or am i missing something simple cus everyone else can do wat i cant. 3rd controller im on here lol

Back
Top Bottom