Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Wii)

Scutch

Futsal Master
31 October 2006
Cumbria, UK
Tottenham Hotspur
Just skipping through Gamesmaster Magazine for the review score of Red Dead Redemption (96% as it happens), and noticed Mario Galaxy 2 was also reviewed. 98%. That'll do pig.

Checked out the averages on Metacritic, just to see if it had any more feedback. Turns out, it did :

100% Edge Magazine

This isn’t a game that redefines the genre: this is one that rolls it up and locks it away.

100% 1UP

Takes everything its predecessor did and maintains that urgent sense of wonder and discovery, creating a world that copies its past self, yet keeps the freshness that made it so exciting when the first game debuted two years ago.

100% IGN

Consider me “wowed.” Again. Yes, Super Mario Galaxy 2 is more of what made the original so amazingly good: brilliant gravity platfoming. Incredibly tight and responsive controls. Fantastic musical score. But it’s not a “me too” experience -- a significant majority of this sequel is brand new.

100% Games Radar (in-house)

Expanding on the original’s brilliance, this ingenious platformer only gets better by embracing the Wii’s limited capabilities and adds so many ideas, big and small, that we can’t help but love it. Even if you (mistakenly) believe it’s too similar to the first game, what’s wrong with more of an incredibly great thing?

100% The Escapist

Super Mario Galaxy 2 doesn't tinker with the established formula very much, but we didn't really want it to. It's huge, brilliant, and gorgeous. It's why you started playing videogames in the first place.

97% GameTrailers

There is more creativity in some single stages in this game than in entire other games. It's a bit familiar, but all the fat has been cut away to expose a pure gaming core. There's something for just about everyone and games that we can truly recommend to almost everyone are rare.

95% NintendoWorldReport

It is the truest sequel Nintendo has produced in over a decade.

93% Game Informer

Super Mario Galaxy 2 throws something new at you nearly every single level - and with over 240 stars to collect, that's no small feat.
It's doing well, in fairness.

I never play my wii but would never get rid of it as a nintendo gem is worth having the console for. Who needs HD when you have a game this good!!

shame that very few people on evo-web even care about this game. Looks amazing and will be the one game you must buy in july over anything else.

I'll get it eventually. It looks good.

Something i have to criticise though is gamesmaster's scores, how the hell do you rate something out of 100? I mean what is their ranking system to say one game is 98 and the other is 96/ Where does the 2% difference come from? Seems really stupid to me but then again anything more than out of 5 seems a stupid rating system to this lowly rancher.

Pre-ordered this, now.

Average rating of 98% from 38 reviews on Metacritic.

Incredible.

Last edited:
I have been playing this for over a week now and can honestly say it's the best game I've played in years.

Absolutely loved the first one but this is quite incredible...

The ability to be original in video games is quite rare but the Mario series continually re-invents the genre to staggering levels of genius...

If you have a Wii, get this game. If you don't own a Wii, buy one and then get this game!!!

still waiting for my bro's japanese copy to ship. seems everywhere is low on stock as nobody seems to be shipping it yet. Need to play this game man, looks like Game of The Year no doubt!!

Back
Top Bottom