Substitute (Dhorasoo film)

Dhorasoo the French National player?

I think he was in AC Milan right? And then in PSG. I remember he was a very good player, but like the title he was always a substitute.

Yeo, I always thought he was a good player. The article I posted up above makes pretty sad reading, especially when it says all of the French players were celebrating and he walked off without anyone noticing.

Just looked at all of the cinemas in Liverpool and none are showing this film :(

http://film.guardian.co.uk/Film_Page/0,,2199322,00.html

Also showed no cinemas showing it near me :(

Last edited by a moderator:
A movie i would like to see...i like things that show the unglamourous side of football. That is football too.

That said one can hardly say that Dhorasoo was a failure he played for Lyon, Ac Milan, PSG, Livorno.

When he was playing for Lyon he was a terrific player.

There are the stories of th real "misfits" that are even better: "The keeper of dreams" by Ronald Reng or the book the current manager of Middlesborough wrote with his best friend. One became an international, the other oneplayed his trade in lower divisions...great book.

And then of course pone of my all time favourites: "Stanping Grounds" about Lichtenstein's qualifying tournament for the 1998 World Cup. Since reading that book i becamea fan of Lichtenstein's national team...when there have been qualifier's, i always look up their results. I hope one day, they will be in the same group as Belgium, i will certainly go watching that match and support Lichtenstein.

I'll look out for those books, cheers Gerd.

Dhorasso was a good player but he had his Equipe de France period too late.
He was always amazing with Les Bleus when Domenech played with 3 MDef and when Vieira was not good, but never really got his chance.

Before that, he was quality as a winger when he was younger at Le Havre and then he started playing center midfielder.

He's very intelligent, so let's give him a chance on his movie.

I haven't seen the film but i think while we can all understand his frustrations at being left out of the national side, i do think at the time there were just better players ahead of him, simple as that.

I know that he received a lot of unjust criticism in the past for championing gay rights for example, but some of his comments do come across (intentional or not) as a little bitter. Especially when he mentions feeling marginalized due to his Indo-Mauritian heritage, which he says didn't make him as "commerical" or representive of France as other white or players of North/West African origin. While i do understand that Asians are a minority in France and he may have suffered abuse because of it i think in footballing terms that wasn't the case at all, there were just better players available.

I do agree that he probably didn't feature as much he should've considering he made his debut in 1999 and through to his peak years in the early 00's, he was just a little unfortunete given the depth of players available, but he clearly lost a lot of self belief after failing to break in at Milan and he never really recovered from it.

Nevertheless, it could be a very interesting movie.
If you read " The keeper of dreams" about Leese who even played in the premiership for Barnsby, you'll see how much depends on luck or bad luck.

VERY (read three) cinemas are/were showing it in Britain, have to wait for a DVD release :(

Maybe if anyone would give a damn about a whiny professional football player worth millions of €uros complaining that he "ONLY" made the World Cup finalists team but not playing enough ... MAYBE THEN more theaters would show that movie ...

Dhorasoo the French National player?

I think he was in AC Milan right? And then in PSG. I remember he was a very good player, but like the title he was always a substitute.

543733_rainbow_gay_pride_flag.jpg
may explain...

very good player indeed.

Back
Top Bottom