Star Wars : The Old Republic

embraceuk1

Original Member Since 2001
30 December 2001
Indiana USA (Scottish)
Nottingham Forest
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6194664.html?om_act=convert&om_clk=newstop&tag=newstop;title;2

E3 2008: EA CEO confirms KOTOR MMO
John Riccitiello tells Conde Nast Portfolio that BioWare's mystery massively multiplayer project is a third installment in the Star Wars series.

Ever since it was announced in 2006, BioWare's massively multiplayer role-playing game has been shrouded in mystery. Though the Canadian developer opened a satellite studio in Austin, Texas, just to develop it, its cofounders Ray Muzyka and Greg Zeschuk maintained an iron wall of silence. However, Electronic Arts knew enough about the title to help convince the company to buy BioWare/Pandemic for $860 million last year.

Today, as E3 2008 wound down, the fog hanging around BioWare's MMORPG appears to have dissipated. Less than 72 hours after presiding over EA's own press event--where the project was nowhere to be found--CEO John Riccitiello almost casually revealed the MMORPG in question is a sequel of sorts to Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic.

"We've got two of the most compelling MMOs in the industry in development," Riccitiello told Conde Nast Portfolio magazine. "The first title, based on the Warhammer property, will launch soon. And the one that people are dying for us to talk to them about in partnership with Lucas [Arts is] coming out of BioWare, which is, I think, quite possibly the most anticipated game, full stop, for the industry." When contacted by GameSpot, BioWare reps declined to comment further.

BioWare's first Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic game was released in 2003 for the original Xbox and PC, and was named the year's top RPG by GameSpot. An Obsidian Entertainment-developed sequel was released in 2004 and 2005 on the same two respective platforms. Both critically acclaimed games are set several thousand years before the events of the Star Wars films, and cast players as adventurers who eventually become powerful Jedi Knights.

Currently, the Knights of the Old Republic MMORPG is set for release sometime in 2009. Once it launches, it is unclear what will happen to LucasArts' current massively multiplayer title, the Sony Online Entertainment-developed Star Wars Galaxies.

Re: Knights of the Old Republic 3, MMO Xbox 360

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. Can't wait for this at all. HUGE fan of the first 2. Amongst my favourite games.

KOTOR MMO Reveal Coming This Month

According to two separate, British sources, BioWare and Lucasart's Knights of the Old Republic MMO will finally have its first public showing later this month. CVG say it's "set to be 'officially' unveiled later this month", while a writer with British newspaper The Daily Star let slip that they're off "next month to file an exclusive report on the game". Promising. All that's left to do in the meantime is wait, and while waiting, build yourself an intricate series of overblown expectations that the final product can never hope to live up to!

Star Wars: The Old Republic MMO unveiled

swtor.invitation.490w.jpg

Looks like someone snuck in ahead of everyone else! Don't even pretend you're surprised. Before today's LucasArts and BioWare press conference, IGN and Gamespot let slip Star Wars: The Old Republic -- you know, the MMO based on BioWare's massively successful Knights of the Old Republic series whose name was trademarked back in July.

What we know so far: The project originated just after KOTOR II launched in 2005. SW:TOR is reportedly the reason Electronic Arts paid $860 million to purchase BioWare and Pandemic. The MMO takes place 300 years after the first KOTOR II, which puts it about 3,500 years before the film.

You can choose between two factions, the Galactic Republic or the re-energized Sith Empire. You can also align yourself as a Dark or Light Side character in either situation. Two classes have been revealed: Jedi and Sith, both of which can use lightsabers and the Force early on. No release date, and no word on console releases.

We also happened to see the name printed on t-shirts worn by BioWare's Ray Muzyka and Greg Zeschuk. Meanwhile, the official press conference is about to begin. Here's hoping the game has better luck than Star Wars Galaxies!

I never played the first two - are they top down RTS's like warcraft?? or are they 3rd person rpg's like ff or fable or summat.

3rd person RPGs but the storyline is brilliant along with the gameplay.

I loved the first KOTOR, but I'm not too convinced with their plans for an MMO. For me, the appeal of MMO games is in the community and social aspects, but it looks like they are going for a more solo gamer/storyline aproach. Which is odd given the genre is defined by its multiplayer.

However, I'd expect that if anyone was capable of making an MMO to even challenge WoW it would be Bioware.

Back
Top Bottom