Spotify - The iTunes Killer?

MonkeyJug

Steering 747s Up Above U!
15 December 2001
Southampton
Glasgow Rangers
anyone who hasn't heard of this, should give it a bash.

i read about it a couple of days ago, and i have to say it's quite brilliant.

in a nutshell, it renders your itunes collection of 100,000 songs, that you've spent years building up, pretty much obsolete (provided you have access to the internet!)

www.spotify.com

basically, it's 'like' itunes, but it lets you play an entire song, rather than a 30-second clip, like itunes does, so in effect, you have access to over 1.5million tracks!

I have iTunes and Spotify - I've had Spotify for a while now but never use it... it just doesn't compare to actually having the actual song in whatever format (mp3, AAC, FLAC etc.). Quality wise its not that good either, but its useful for parties and to preview an album or song you don't have.

I wouldn't say its the iTunes killer considering iTunes lets you buy songs for your mp3 player and is mainly for storing your library.

i never knew there were things like that already out there!

i should've rolled back my boulder sooner! :p

Infact this doesnt have AC/DC, Led Zeppelin or Conspiracy of one (offspring album)

and Playlist.com does

Thanks for the info.

I think it's pretty cool. Keeps me entertained on my laptop all day and I don't have to purchase a single album. Smashing.

Doesn't work in my country and many others in Asia, I've been linked before to join and the general idea is good if you wish to preview a song.

Did you just specify to pick up audio tracks from your music directory? Otherwise it'll add audio files from your whole drive, including your Windows folder and all of those shitty sound samples ;)

Now we see why the missus doesn't let him do anything by himself. ;) Let me guess, Nick, you're in charge of the microwaves?

Spotify works on Windows 7 7100 :D

Very nice app! Streaming is flawless, tons of selection and very quick. I'm impressed.

Didn't have an artist named Mul-Ty though, I had his album years ago and it's pretty hard to find now :(

Can I use this program to subscribe to podcasts?

I'm desperately looking for an excuse to stop using iTunes, I hate it.

The regularity of adverts is becoming more annoying as its popularity increases. A couple of months ago you could go nearly a full album without an advert. I've just had an advert after the first song, then another one after two songs had played.

Quickly putting me off Spotify if the advert ratio keeps increasing.

Back
Top Bottom