Sporting Clube de Portugal - official thread

Great victory tonight lads. Finally you are showing quality.

PS: Vuk MUST play in the eleven! Every game!
True...
He and Matias are like the only ones who can decide a game by themselves...
Im looking forward to see what Angulo can do. Im not sure about his age, but the quality is there for sure...

Are you happy now that Bento is going out?

O homem sacrificou-se pelo clube, fez o possível e o impossível por aquela instituição e no fim vocês (não falo de todos evidentemente, graças a Deus existem pessoas que compreendem os valores de um indivíduo) tratam-no assim? Ofendem uma pessoa que defendeu o Sporting acima de tudo e de todos. Se mais não conseguiu foi por causa da imcompetência dos orgãos directivos e pelo péssimo plantel à sua disposição. Sou benfiquista mas sei reconhecer as qualidades e os méritos de qualquer rival. Paulo Bento é um senhor. Tomara existirem muitos PB em Portugal.

Paulo Bento forever.

Re: Official Transfers Only

Sad day for Sporting as a club...

Apparently João Moutinho was forcing his sale, specially after some rumours he would no longer be captain next season. It is said things got bad with the new director of football Costinha (former player) and Sporting had no other option but to negotiate him. Usually the big three find a way for them not be signed by rivals, but maybe Sporting hasn't done that or they just had to sale him for the best offer (even if it was FC Porto) because of financial problems. Porto's chairman was always a big fan of him...

Anyway...it's not common to see big transfers between the big 3 in Portugal. Specially when the player come from their youth department and became the captain very early.
I think it's a sad day for Sporting because there's been growing a larger gap between Benfica & Porto and Sporting. They won 18 league titles, but only 8 since 1961/1962. They always had lots of supporters, and I think they still have, but they are very FAR from their team. Due to financial problems they had to stop spending so much, and while Benfica and Porto (for different reasons) could still sign some good players, Sporting for the past 15 years have lived more of their very good youth system. But nowadays that's not enough, I think...
The fact that they had to sell they captain to FC Porto, kinda feels they no longer feel like one in the big 3. Like Benfica signing Eduardo from Braga, or so...
Not discussing if the deal was good or not... I think most people agree that, if Sporting was ok, Moutinho would never quit for FC Porto. Usually players here just quit their big teams if they can't settle there, or they have an offer from a better league.
I sincerely hope they recover...and that's not happening by becoming FC Porto's 'b@tch' on every matter...

Yes, fully agree about the 'growing gap'. It's kinda sad. :/

But soon, Portugal won't have big 3 anymore. It's Big 2. In fact it's already kind of like that. :/

Yes, fully agree about the 'growing gap'. It's kinda sad. :/

But soon, Portugal won't have big 3 anymore. It's Big 2. In fact it's already kind of like that. :/

maybe Braga will come to the scene..

Braga is "owned" by Porto, so that wont be happening.

Porto owns most the clubs of our leage.

That's why they "win" many championships.

Most of FC Porto's youth players are on loan to Sp. Braga, Académica, Olhanense and many more. It's really shameful.

That's true..you shouldn't be allowed to loan (as many players as you want) to same division teams. It's really a shame..specially when they told how FC Porto does. They pay a % of the player wages, according to the number of matches the player has done for that club. Since 90% of portuguese clubs have financial problems you can see who's getting playing time.
Anyway, that works for everybody, and Porto just takes advantage of that. Benfica was against it, but obviously we can't win it because all other clubs like to have those loaned players.
Not very fair, I think...
Anyway, going back to the topic...:)

You guys make me laugh..

Yeah, and we let Braga go to Champions instead of us...

Why is the laugh? Are they telling any lies?

I didnt know about what they said, i only knew about Braga... What they told is something really really important imo, that could potentially stagnate the Potuguese league from becoming a stronger league. I hope Sporting doesnt fall into that "owned" by Porto category, would be a really pitty, and like evan the Benfica fans said, a sad momento for Potuguese football in general.

Last edited:

In fact, FC Porto "owned" almost the entire league. Only Benfica and Vitória Guimarães are independents from Pinto da Costa.

Sporting president José Eduardo Bettencourt called João Moutinho a rotten apple. He also said that Moutinho's latest actions in Alvalade were deplorable.

PS: Hey guys, did you realise the new name of our second league? Liga Orangina. :LMAO:

Why is the laugh? Are they telling any lies?

I didnt know about what they said, i only knew about Braga... What they told is something really really important imo, that could potentially stagnate the Potuguese league from becoming a stronger league. I hope Sporting doesnt fall into that "owned" by Porto category, would be a really pitty, and like evan the Benfica fans said, a sad momento for Potuguese football in general.

What you know about Braga being "owned"? That we have good relations with them and they have some Porto players?

And about Sporting not being one of the big 3 anymore or being "owned" by Porto is laughable. There're good relations aswell between Porto and Sporting and the rivalry is not the same as Porto with Benfica. I laugh cause i know how much Benfica fans hate that "friendship", saying that Sporting is FC Porto B. :))

I think u missunderstood when i said owned, and thats why i used the " "...I didnt mean that Porto literally owns the club...

What i meant by that is that Braga has a lot of Porto players and thats not very good since, they are developing players that they wont be able to get anything once Porto calls them back. Also, doesnt Porto has "priority clause" on any Braga player that gets an offer??

With these kind of deals its barely impossible for any team to get bigger.

About the friendiship u say, i didnt know about that too.. living and learning ;)

Well there didn't used to be or was supposed to be ANY friendship between 3 big clubs of a country!

You don't see Besiktas fans and Fenerbahce having 'friendship' or anything like that. They're all supposed to hate each other and they do. Not AS Much as rivalry with Benfica (both respectively) but bottom line is, Sporting and Porto are not supposed to have any friendship. They're supposed to be big rivals. But of course with the way things have gone in the past decade... you can see why the rivalry has lessened.. :/

What's going on? Genoa's president said on TV that Veloso is about to sign for £6m + Alberto Zapater. So now Moutinho and soon Veloso are out... weren't they icons?

Until now no official words about the deal by any Sporting's staff member. If it's true then it will be another shot in the foot for the guys.

Sporting is in a self-destruction process. Who leads Sporting are trying to colapse the club. Many people say Sporting desperately needs money, this is the most logical explanation for such businesses.

I'm frankly hoping they find the right way to move.

True but they have also brought in players that can help the team though which nobody seems to wanna talk about.

A guy like Jamie Valdes is always a handful for opposing defenders and someone like Maniche can have an impact like Pedro Mendes in the sense that he's a good experienced player. Not quality like they once were, but still decent and can help the side.

Players like Matias Fernandez can also get better but yeah of course overall this situation isn't good to see. :/

D'accord monsieur Sina. :)

Valdés played very last day against Spurs. I'm surprised I must admit. About Maniche, well, I don't like him but he was experience which is good in a young team like Sporting. Matias has good tecnical skills but he must improve tactically. Daniel Carriço is a solid CB (great future in that position for Portugal NT) and Yannick Djaló is getting better and better.

Diogo Salamão. Please write the name in your books. You will listen this name many many times, believe me.

Yes and I was gonna say that younger promising players like Carrico and Djalo can get a lot better so perhaps future isn't AS bad as many say though it doesn't look good either.

As for Mr. Diogo, I've just written his name down. Never heard of him before. Thank you. :)

Preziosi l'aveva detto e alla fine ha mantenuto le promesse fatte. Miguel Veloso, secondo quanto annunciato da Sky Sport 24, sarebbe atterrato nella mattina all'aereporto di Milano Malpensa con direzione Genova. Oggi sarebbero previste le visite mediche e poi la firma per il secondo grande regalo, dopo Luca Toni, del presidente rossoblu ai suoi tifosi.

Reports on several places now say Veloso has landed in Italy to for his medical and to sign the contract.

So Sporting as a new President: Godinho Lopes

Sporting Presidential Election 2011
Godinho Lopes - 36,55%
Bruno de Carvalho - 36,15%
Dias Ferreira - 16,54%
Pedro Baltazar - 8,80%
Sérgio Abrantes Mendes - 1,95%

This was the closest election ever in Sporting's history. The difference between the winner and the second were 360 votes. Bruno de Carvalho will probably contest the results. During the night Bruno Carvalho, who had an agreement with Russian investors to invest 50M€ in transfers, was appointed as the favourite by many sources but the surprise came late at 5.30 AM where the official results were announced. Godinho Lopes have won the election by 360 vote margin in a universe of 88.000 votes.

As a result, Domingos Paciência will presumably be the new Sporting's coach. Players like Hugo Almeida, Garay, Wendt, Rodriguez, Alex Silva, Zahavi, Bobô and Jô are set to join the club as well.

Dias Ferreira, who promised players like Sanchez, Elia and Ruiz, was one the biggest losers of the night.

Back
Top Bottom