Spanish La Liga Thread

It's their own fault...the more classico's the better...sooner or later they will see that they are burning the bridge where they are standing on themselves and that they will go down with the rest of La Liga.

11 Classicos? I don't get how. I mean, 2 league matches (1 played already), 2 spanish supercup matches (both already played), 2 cup matches (both to be played), 2 CL Matches (if they meet). It's a total count of 8, not 11, but too much Classicos for me as well.

Gerd, they can't do a thing to avoid each other, they're the best teams around so it's logical for them to meet again and again. There's the discussion about money distribution, but that's a problem of the whole spanish football, and as long as clubs like Valencia and Atletico Madrid are ok with the situation, they are all guilty and nothing will change.

I don't think the bridges will collapse under their feet, though. The big clubs are too powerful and sell a lot in the foreign markets. It doesn't matter if some clubs in La Liga are pathetically poor compared to the rich ones, because most of TV distributors buy the league to have the big clubs. And in the big clubs there are Messi, Ronaldo, Xavi and the stars that practically sell the TV signal by themselves.

If anything, it's the poor clubs that risk disappearing or being relegated. But they will be replaced by other poor clubs to sustain the pyramid. It's not the situation I would like, neither, but I don't get why having the most famous players and the best teams can lower the value of the whole pack, even if 75% of the teams in the pack are crap due mainly to economical reasons.

We have talked about it several times, but it's an important issue to discuss further!

Alex, i read in FourFourTwo that both Spanish giants are lobbying for a competition among the biggest European clubs, but the other big clubs have refused this.
The fact that they asked this is already a sign on the wall IMO...the way the tv-money is distributed is not fair and the competition is a two horse race. In the long term people will be fed up with such a league...the classico matches will tend to be all-determinating (that is if Barcelona does not throw away points like this year, it could well be that a home win in the classico is not enough for Barcelona). The classico matches of the last years tend to be travesties of a match because of the huge pressure..
Good Spanish players who can't go to Madrid or Barcelona will end up in foreign competitions and the gap will only get bigger...i see the future very pessimistic if this continues. Clubs like Valencia and Deportivo used to be win titles occasionally, i can't see any other Spanish club win a title in the first years unless something fundamental changes...

I'm afraid both Real and Barcelona will become the football equivalent of the Harlem Globetrotters.

That is a litle bit simplistic dominic. There is more than the title.
Real and Barcelona are not the only Spanish teams that are playing attractive football, most Spanish teams are super powers compared to Belgian and Dutch clubs...
But if this hegemony continues, people will get bored...so your reaction does say something.

But you must confes that you are biased towards Italian football, your reaction is a litle bit like those English people who look down on Serie A and Ligue 1.

You overanalyze my statement Gerd. I made a slightly charged comment to make a point. The point being that there is little competition in Spain and it's quite a predictable league.

You're right about my bias though ;)

Not to ruin this thread.. But Gerd, I was wondering, after all these years... What do you do in daily life? If I may ask that is. I dont want to be rude.

Such an impressive defensive display from Mallorca up to this minute. I do personally appreciate it but also admit that it's just as boring to watch. Finally, after Kaka's excellent long range effort, luck was with Higuain and saved me from the misery. Ronaldo was plain awful till now but the joy of watching that shot which hit the bar is worth all the patience shown imo. Kaka and Özil are showing some real effort which must be mentioned.

P.S. OMG Higuain is just like a fox. Brilliant stuff from Callejon and RM got it again.

P.S.2 Summary of the game: Mourinho is all in and wins it.

Last edited:
I think this match show exactly what holds Real in front of Barcelona. Real wins even when they don't play well, while Barca can't win when they are not up to it. Yes, they may have wan almost every match against Real in last few seasons, but at the end little games is where championships are won or lost. And this season Real is just marching to the win.

Oh and btw, let's not forget that the ref totally took the chance of a highly possible 2-0 for Mallorca with the blatantly wrong off-side call at around the 60th minute. Also there was another controversial decision in the very late moments but I think that similarly to the incident in Valencia match, the ball hit Ramos in his left side not his arm so it was a correct call.

true, that was rally bad call from linesman for that offside. But I think that referee was completely bad for a whole match, hurting and helping both teams. He has given some dubious yellow cards (like Coentrao for example) and he did not shown cards when he needed. Also he did not called for fouls when he needed, and few times called one when he could easily let the game continue.

The funny thing is that when Mourinho goes ahead, he won't talk about referees at all. And when he's behind, he instantly talks about conspiracies and childish stuff.

This season the referees have been very wrong against Barcelona in many important matches in which we have lost points (Espanyol, Valencia, Getafe...), but no one will talk about it, Pep won't even mention it, because after all the whole season, you win or you loose because of your efforts mainly. And moaning like a babe is not the solution.

Madrid is up there becuase up to now it's been better against small teams and, as Cuky says, they win even if they play very badly. Barcelona isn't there because, even with the referees, should have won a lot more points away and because it's a team that NEEDS to play brilliantly in order to win. No conspiracies, no idiots stuff. There's a reason why Madrid is now first the same way there was a reason why Barcleona was first all the seasons before.

Very interesting article that shows how El Classico was born amongst scandals and tension from the start. It's in spanish but maybe you can translate it. Don't miss the footnote about Paco Bru. Stories like that are fun and hard to believe in our present world!

http://www.lavanguardia.com/deporte...re-barca-y-madrid-abrio-las-hostilidades.html

Very interesting things such as Barcelona playing with 10 men because of injuries (there were no substitutes back then!).

Pepe is such a classless gent ! RM did so good in the 1st half. Barca were so clinical , that Abidal gol was special, calm n collective finishing.

i dont think Madrid was that good. they had luckily a goal. In 45 mins they had pnly one chance, only one shot at goal! barcelona had 1 post and 3 more chances, and 70% of possession. At bernabeu! I think Mourinho was a coward and speculated too much. madrid needs to go up the pitch and do high pressing and attack a lot more.

B7Ihq.png

I really hope to see Rooney to meet Pepe the football killer someday.

Regarding the match, I just wonder what the hell was wrong with those so-called Madridistas at the stadium as all I heard in the last 15 minutes was "Olé! Olé! Olé!" from Barça fans who were just a few. Is this the way they support their team? Meh, bunch of glory hunters, good times supporters they are. And also I was quite frustrated with Mourinho's sub choices. Who the hell is Granero to play in Clasico ffs? Diarra played almost perfect but why did he get subbed off? There is also players that shouldn't ever play against Barcelona imo, Özil looks so terribly messed up, Higuain is always a ghost in Clasicos, not even the shadow of his real self. I personally think that not using Ramos at right-back as if there's no centre-back available was just wrong as well. Pepe doesn't have to play in midfield, is he? Imo, Khedira could have successfully done most of the things that Pepe did there so he could be used at centre-back which is his natural position anyway. Hamit played pretty well at times but he was most of the time like a bomb ready to explode any moment. It actually happened and cost the goal of Abidal. Still he did f'n right fielding Coentrao instead of Marcelo. Imho, the XI of Casillas-Ramos,Pepe,Carvalho,Coentrao-Khedira,Alonso,Lass-Di Maria,Ronaldo-Benzema might have a chance to beat Barça. Okay.. Don't worry, I don't believe it either anyway.

Not much to say about Barcelona's artists. They all were great. But then again some special credit goes to Puyol, Abidal, Iniesta and Messi. I congratulate Catalans.

OMG, I'm utterly surprised atm to see that scene of shame had already come true. Pity that it was just not the reaction that I expected from Wazza at all.

Pepe needs to be put in an asylum and banned from football for life! If he continues to go unpunished, when will a psycho like him ever learn?! After someone dies?!

What a descipable human being! First he does an intentional foul which deserves more than a yellow. Then he faints injury to get Pique a yellow card. Then he INTENTIONALLY steps on Messi's fingers with his cleats when ref isn't looking and finally he again completely feigns injury when Cesc didn't even touch him!

Mourinho and Pepe make neutrals like me into fans of Barca when these two meet! :LOL:

That's not good for the world's biggest club!

i dont think Madrid was that good. they had luckily a goal. In 45 mins they had pnly one chance, only one shot at goal! barcelona had 1 post and 3 more chances, and 70% of possession. At bernabeu! I think Mourinho was a coward and speculated too much. madrid needs to go up the pitch and do high pressing and attack a lot more.

it`s a matter of opinion luckiest goal doesn`t matter he hit the ball with so much power! any contact would of injured the gangster gk :LOL: You say 1 chance vs 4 chances sound juvenile ... They (RM)played with lots of pressure in the 1st half .I try to be objective and calling it how I see it. Most Barca fans want RM to attack more so Barca can counter why play into your opponent`s stronger game ;) . RM doesn`t have the formula to beat Barca it shows pressuring has a fatigue factor. Pepe ruin the game with his tactics such shame really.

Drop a lot Maria wasn`t playing hopefully he`ll be available next week to drop a lot!

It's all Mourinho's fault, when you see Xabi Alonso acting like a thug you know something's up.

Before Jose arrived these games weren't petulant.

it`s a matter of opinion luckiest goal doesn`t matter he hit the ball with so much power! any contact would of injured the gangster gk :LOL: You say 1 chance vs 4 chances sound juvenile ... They (RM)played with lots of pressure in the 1st half .I try to be objective and calling it how I see it. Most Barca fans want RM to attack more so Barca can counter why play into your opponent`s stronger game ;) . RM doesn`t have the formula to beat Barca it shows pressuring has a fatigue factor. Pepe ruin the game with his tactics such shame really.

Drop a lot Maria wasn`t playing hopefully he`ll be available next week to drop a lot!

Yes, Bebo, it may be a matter of perosnal views. I get what you say, it was one of the best 45 minutes of Real against Barcelona lately. But only one shot at goal! And Barcelona DID have clear chances, up to 4. I mean, I don't think it's the best tactic for Madrid to give us the ball. They did it in the last 3 Classicos and lost all of them.

The only occasion in which Madrid put Barcelona at risk was at the Cup final, when they did a wild high pressure and had chances, shutting Barça down. I think it's the only way to stop Barcelona, thus why I don't think this is the way. Real disconnects from the game by giving the ball to Barcelona. That's my oppinion, though, but I think Madrid fans shouldn't be carried away by the result at halftime: it wasn't a great Barcelona, it's true, but it wasn't, by all means, a good Madrid.

Betis faced Barcelona this weekend with high pressure and a brave tactical setting. They lost 4-2 but they put a lot of fight and the match was awesome. Both teams were great. Espanyol also stole us some points by being brave and going up. I think Mourinho needs to be humble and learn from those matches.

PS: Oh, and I forgot to add that Madrid missed so much Di Maria and Khedira. Di Maria, specifically, has been the most dangerous man against us in the last matches, and always poses a big threat. He's such a big player that Real misses him so much. Probably the player that makes more difference in and out of the team!

Last edited:
Yeah Di Maria is a hell of a player and was definitely missed! I think it's good that he's been absent because it's made many people realize just how good he is and how important to the team.

The thing is the Barça teams against Espanyol, Getafe or Betis have a completely different mindset than the team playing against Real Madrid which is the way it always gonna be anyway. Also they are underdogs, you know. They don't have anything to lose unlike RM *cough* reputation *cough* even if the scoreline would be 10-0. Playing with similar tactics that those smaller teams used against Barça wouldn't help RM in Clasicos, it always ended up conceding some amount of goals for them thanks to the uber-motivated Barça players. When they went for high pressure, matches were being played in RM's penalty area in the later minutes and let alone RM finding only one or two goal chances at the absolute max, you could even see Iniesta and Messi playing 1-2s near Casillas! Well, if you say you want to see some total domination, it's okay.

The only occasion in which Madrid put Barcelona at risk was at the Cup final, when they did a wild high pressure and had chances, shutting Barça down. I think it's the only way to stop Barcelona, thus why I don't think this is the way. Real disconnects from the game by giving the ball to Barcelona. That's my oppinion, though, but I think Madrid fans shouldn't be carried away by the result at halftime: it wasn't a great Barcelona, it's true, but it wasn't, by all means, a good Madrid.

Betis faced Barcelona this weekend with high pressure and a brave tactical setting. They lost 4-2 but they put a lot of fight and the match was awesome. Both teams were great. Espanyol also stole us some points by being brave and going up. I think Mourinho needs to be humble and learn from those matches.

PS: Oh, and I forgot to add that Madrid missed so much Di Maria and Khedira. Di Maria, specifically, has been the most dangerous man against us in the last matches, and always poses a big threat. He's such a big player that Real misses him so much. Probably the player that makes more difference in and out of the team!

First of all, I want to congratulate Barcelona for another victory over Real Madrid at Santiago Bernabeu, commonly known as Camp Nou II as I've heard lately.

Then let me say something. There's no such thing as antidote to beat Barcelona. Furthermore, you might just have hit the nail on the head. The closest thing to that so called antidote is "high pressure". Is no coincidence that the best display I saw from Real against Barcelona we did that "wild high pressure" as you said. Of course, you can't handle it for 90 minutes, that's impossible for an human being, it's exhausting, and the reason why we suffered a lot in the 2nd half that match. So, in order to breathe you need to have the ball which is basically impossible when your opponent has 70% of ball possession. That's why I don't buy that "triple-pivot" thing. Look, imo, Real Madrid is the best team in World in what regards to offensive transitions. Our game is so fluid and so fast when you have a proper connection among all sectors: defense-midfield-attack. You just don't have that kind of fluidness with Lass, Xabi and Pepe. You need a player like Kaka' or Ozil in the team, not only because they are creative but also because they can help Benzema, Ronaldo and Dí Maria in a second line of pressure. What we saw yesterday was a Madrid team throwing 50 yard balls just like what Eli Manning does with the NY Giants. This is football... not American Football for God sake! I love Mourinho although imo is the man to fault this time (should have said "to fault again"? Yes coz this is not the first time he lost the plot).

As for Pepe, enough said. His behaviour is unacceptable. I like him, I really like him, but this is just becoming embarrassing. I do hope he can change his attitude though.

The Knicks also have lost last night but I ain't even mad. It is better when you already know that your team is going to lose anyway. :COAT:

Last edited:
Well, I had some problems with my internet connection, so for the first time since Barca's 5-1 win over RM I was not able to wathc RM's match. Luckily, I found it for download so I will watch and than I might have more to say.

But I can share my thoughts of why RM can't win against Barca with Mourinho as their manager. I don't really like him that much, as he is too arrogant for my taste, but he is damn great coach. The problem is that with, for example, Inter he won against them defending hard for all 90 minutes. Hi tried that in 5-1 defeat and it didn't work. I think he needs to give them more freedom, to allow them to express themselves. They are so great attacking team, very great technicians and it is just shame thet they can't do what they do the best: Play attractive attacking football. It works against every other team, maybe it is time to try that against Barca too?

Back
Top Bottom