SPAIN thread

Not sure Italy has the world's best defence mate... 3 back to back losses in a row, and missing our best defender for the tournament. I'm with PLF on this, Torres has had more time and chances than Shevchenko at Chelsea, and isn't doing any better.

There are other players who have come along with amazing performances all year, that imo deserve to start or play over Torres.

It wasn't even a 1-on-1 chance on both of his chances. There were a defender at the left but you must know he is trying to score against one of the greatest keeper in the world. Just see how Van Persie, Villa, Henry, Ronaldo and all the greatest strikers missed. It's football, you can't expect him to score on every chances.

He made those chances by himself and it's never clear goal-scoring chances. You don't even have an idea of being a striker.

Think twice before writing. Those defenders weren't tired, they just pushed the defensive line and that's why Italy has the world's best defense.

Villa is injured, even a kid knows it. Soldado having fitness problem and not suiting on the current Spain tactics.

Stop blaming 1 person when a team couldn't won it.

But he missed chances everytime.

So??? He is better than Drogba.

You gotta be kidding me? Torres is an overrated striker who has no class, skills, pace or whatsoever. He is not even a complete striker and Carroll is way better than him. Get your facts right next time.

I do Miss/Sir. I had been a striker on Plano Youth Soccer team and now I'm a striker on Dallas F.C. Under 16 squad. Don't go offtopic.

As soon as he came on, the entire shape and focus changed for the better.

Sometimes a striker is only judged on his goals and never on his movement, awareness etc
Yes, Torres was poor with the ball - but maybe his confidence will return, but his overall movement, dragging defenders out of position, meant that Spain overall looked more dangerous.

I think Spain should start with Torres in the next game, remove Fabregas and Silva/Alonso and include Navas, so there is less congestion in the midfield, so more space for Xavi and Iniesta to create.

I wouldn't say Torres is unskillful. I just don't think he's in the right frame of mind to be scoring goals. Steevio is right in that Torres brought space to the game by stretching Italy's defence... but I think there are other players in the team that are capable of doing that just as well, with the added ability to score - e.g. Pedro, like Drekkard mentioned.

Torres playing for Liverpool and Atletico was a top class striker, among the very best in the world. Caroll will never come nowhere near that mehtab. And unless there isz something we don't know (health, private life) i still think he will become one of the best ever, unless his injuries have taken their toll. IMO Liverpool somewhat (as in a litle and i don't blame them) ruïned Torres. He was that good when playing for them, that he had to play way too much (this combined with the national team, of course Liverpool fans will blame the national team).

He should have rested more. The same thing could be happening with David Silva and Man City. A team with that kind of money should have a decent back-up. They would be more to blame than Liverpool with Torres.

Carroll will never touch Torres guys. I think Torres was jinxed by that senseless £50m price tag and I'm pretty sure some Liverpool fans did some black magic rituals to turn into a shit player.

Torres has to be one of the most overrated players of all time. He has the luck to be in such fantastic company with Spain. With those midfielders a striker only needs to be "there". Chances WILL come to score! He is a weak "world class striker", if ever...Negredo, Soldado, Llorente, are much more striker than he is. Let´s not even compare him to Villa, who is so much better that it hurts.

Torres playing for Liverpool and Atletico was a top class striker, among the very best in the world. Caroll will never come nowhere near that mehtab. And unless there isz something we don't know (health, private life) i still think he will become one of the best ever, unless his injuries have taken their toll. IMO Liverpool somewhat (as in a litle and i don't blame them) ruïned Torres. He was that good when playing for them, that he had to play way too much (this combined with the national team, of course Liverpool fans will blame the national team).

He should have rested more. The same thing could be happening with David Silva and Man City. A team with that kind of money should have a decent back-up. They would be more to blame than Liverpool with Torres.

I'm not telling about the past. Torres is past just like Liverpool. The think which is important is the presence. If he doesn't have the confident to score, why should any team want to play him? And someone says that Torres is better than Drogba.

Torres can do these things in order to get back:

1) Regular First Team Football: No struggling footballer ever played their way back into form from the bench. He needs to play few full match in-order to get to his best.

2) He must be selfish: Torres at his best was a dangerous customer, always loitering on the shoulder of the last defender, ready to pounce on any half-chance that came his way with a clinical flourish.

Since his injury problems and subsequent loss of confidence, that predatory streak has largely gone. Now, eager to show he can still contribute to the team even when he is not scoring goals, he is more often seen dropping deep in search of the ball or drifting wide in order to feed teammates the ball.

But in those positions he is not going to score the goals which will help him recapture his best form. Torres needs to eliminate every other element of his game.

3) Must fight his psychology problem:
Code:
"I move into the penalty area and it's me alone with the goalkeeper. For every metre I get close to the goal and goalkeeper, the goal gets smaller and smaller and the goalkeeper gets bigger and bigger. And I shoot wide, or over the bar."

He have to fight his psychology problem. He must believe in himself by looking at his old videos at Liverpool and Atl Madrid.

Torres seems to have an Adriano Leite-esque metamorphosis.
They were among the best strikers in the world for half a dozen of years during their peaks, but then they became two unuseful players (despite they are/were relatively young).
According to press Adriano Leite had alcoholism problems after the death of his father, maybe Torres is having some personal or mental problems, who knows.
Maybe Torres needs a loan to a team that will not put much pressure on him, say Sevilla or Espanyol, to try to refresh his career (like Adriano did with Flamengo).

What it? The referee was the twelfth player of Spain? :P Just amazing moment, more funniest thing on this Euro I have not seen it. :LMAO:

I got my old Spain back. With Silva and Iniesta playing like they always do, Casillas saving the ball and Torres scoring. I prefer Fabre instead of Serjio Bus and we are solid.

Does del Bosque have something against Llorente or is Llorente carrying an injury as at the tail end of the season ?

A little more incision upfront and another title is theirs. Ramos is a little shaky as is Pique but both fullback berths are stronger than before.

Spain is only worth watching with Torres as a striker, and Navas in the right wing. Torres because he is a proper striker, and Navas because he wants to cross the ball every once in a while.

With those two on the field, Spain will most likely win the whole thing. Without those two on the field, Spain might still win but with 1-0 and penalty shoot-outs throughout the tournament.

Does del Bosque have something against Llorente or is Llorente carrying an injury as at the tail end of the season ?

A little more incision upfront and another title is theirs. Ramos is a little shaky as is Pique but both fullback berths are stronger than before.

I think he is injured. Poor thing is that good striker is not having chance on atleast a match and now getting older.

@Sabatasso: If you are talking about attacking then yeah. They are great attacking players.

They should think about playing Navas but he will need a Llorente figure in the box.

And Pedro too to open up the pitch. Silva has matched his Manchester City form late of last season and has not really impressed.

They are carrying one player too many in midfield but not upfront and it does muddle up things.

Leave Xavi and Iniesta to run around the middle of the park and have some genuine width.

Even relatively weaker sides but with a well marshalled defence will make it very hard to play down the middle.

A striker up top also allows the long over the top ball and a pacy winger like Navas a sweeping diagonal to unbalance a defence.

I don't see the need for both Busquets and Alonso. Why not move Iniesta into the middle and have the Barca trio dictating things?

Iniesta's a victim of his own versatility at times.

I don't see the need for both Busquets and Alonso. Why not move Iniesta into the middle and have the Barca trio dictating things?

Iniesta's a victim of his own versatility at times.

Hallo there. I think del Bosque is still concerned by the heart of his defence and it gives him insurance by having the two plus the fact the midfield can flood the opposition and retain the ball.

Another 'defensive' tactic.

By the way are you on redcafe ? I'll tell you what that Cal? has to be the biggest WUM of all time or else completely clueless. ;)

Hallo there. I think del Bosque is still concerned by the heart of his defence and it gives him insurance by having the two plus the fact the midfield can flood the opposition and retain the ball.

Another 'defensive' tactic.

By the way are you on redcafe ? I'll tell you what that Cal? has to be the biggest WUM of all time or else completely clueless. ;)
Makes sense, although I miss the Spain crica '08 which had Senna as the sole holding-midfielder and played better football than the current Spain side IMO.

Yes, I am. He's a very strange individual. It's normal for Utd fans to hold Ronaldo in high regard, given his service to the club during one of its most successful periods.

However, this guy takes it to another level. The only reasonable explanation is that it must be Ronaldo's mother masquerading as a Man Utd fan on an internet forum.

Croatia defense wow. It's about time to replace Silva with Navas and play wing. And I agree with the above poster.

Move Ramos to the right back where he belongs, and put a proper central defender in, problem solved.

However, this guy takes it to another level. The only reasonable explanation is that it must be Ronaldo's mother masquerading as a Man Utd fan on an internet forum.

:LOL:

I came across that thread purely by accident while searching Lionel Messi.

It certainly makes me chuckle. Marcos is a funny guy.

Will we ever see Llorente this tournament ? Unless he is injured. Negredo ahead of him ? Is it del Bosque's Madridista preference coming out ?

Sabatasso Ramos himself prefers to play at centreback. I'd rather see Javi Martinez in the role but that's the way it is going to stay.

There seems especially evident with Torres going off a lack of real focus upfront.

Navas seems to be plan B only and more puzzling he does it after Torres is removed. With Llorente in there he at least has someone to aim for.

Anyway Jesus saved the day......as did UEFA with their placement rules.

:LOL:

I came across that thread purely by accident while searching Lionel Messi.

It certainly makes me chuckle. Marcos is a funny guy.

Will we ever see Llorente this tournament ? Unless he is injured. Negredo ahead of him ? Is it del Bosque's Madridista preference coming out ?

Sabatasso Ramos himself prefers to play at centreback. I'd rather see Javi Martinez in the role but that's the way it is going to stay.

There seems especially evident with Torres going off a lack of real focus upfront.

Navas seems to be plan B only and more puzzling he does it after Torres is removed. With Llorente in there he at least has someone to aim for.

Anyway Jesus saved the day......as did UEFA with their placement rules.

To be honest, Torres played a lot better than I thought. But the Spain tactics doesn't suits Torres or any striker. It seem better with Fabregas replacing him.

Edit: I see you are a Llorente fan ;)

Back
Top Bottom