Sony PlayStation 4 PRO

I'm just going to Game with mine i think as the manager told me they will beat any price around. But now I'm thinking should i stick it on ebay although I couldn't be arsed posting it.

Is the only difference resolution? There's so many more important things than that like view distance, object LODs, ground clutter etc. etc.
It seems like, for the Pro-patched games, there'll be a mixture of options; (non-native) 4K 30fps (with other improvements but standard textures), 1080p 60fps (with more of the details you mention, if the developers care to add them), a downscaled version of the 4K output (which sounds like the "default" setting for devs when you use a Pro on a 1080p TV)... All with the option of HDR.

Reading this interview makes it sound like they can accomplish more than just a resolution upgrade with the 4K stuff, but obviously there'll be hardened PC guys who say it's a waste of money (which it is, obviously, if you want to compare it to a PC)!

Hang on, when is it out?
Thursday next week.

Last edited:
Reading this interview makes it sound like they can accomplish more than just a resolution upgrade with the 4K stuff, but obviously there'll be hardened PC guys who say it's a waste of money (which it is, obviously, if you want to compare it to a PC)!

If it's solely to increase the resolution then I'd see it as a waste of money for sure, but if it's similar to a PC in that you can choose higher visual acuity over resolution then it's worth it, compare something like GTA 5 from PS4/Xbone/PC and the clutter/viewdistance/sharpness and such makes a huge difference:

GTA-V-graphics-comparison.png

GTA-V-graphics-comparison2.jpg

shopto are giving £130 and as my son wants XB1S for xmas ill trade in PS4 and pay the £149 difference for 1TB and Gears of war bundle.

If it's solely to increase the resolution then I'd see it as a waste of money for sure, but if it's similar to a PC in that you can choose higher visual acuity over resolution then it's worth it
It sounds to me from the interviews I've read that it's about more than resolution given the techniques they're using - but, the one failure they do admit to is that textures won't be any bigger.

For 1080p though it sounds like it's up to the dev - by "default" I think you'll get a downscaled version of the 4K output (including any extra detail or draw distance) on a 1080p TV, but they can choose to output at 1080p and use the extra power for more details. From what little I know, you can choose which version (4K/1080p) you want if you have a 4K TV, though I imagine that's by changing your display settings and locking the resolution at 1080p.

I agree with you - sharper doesn't necessarily mean better, and if I've got a choice between 4K 30fps and 1080p 60fps I think I'll find it difficult to spurn the 60fps.

I think the PS4 Pro is trying to go all out for 4K resolution.

I just don't know how well the games are going to run in 4k.. They will have to be on low settings to produce 4K visuals even to reach @30FPS..

Personally they should of tried to reach 1080P resolution @60FPS with as close to PC visuals as you can possibly get - I thik the images shown by Placebo clearly show what could happen if the PRO just went for more graphical features rather than keep the same low graphical features but running @ 4K.

Probably won't really know for a while. I'm not sure why I'm getting really, but I know I'll feel good when buying it, driving home with it, unboxing it and setting it up.:YES:

Is it really worth getting if i don't have a 4k tv?
Apparently we could see better frame rates and visuals "if" the developers choose to implement them...

"PS Pro won't require a 4K TV, and playing PS4 games on a PS Pro on a 1080p HDTV will offer benefits like higher scene complexity, dynamic reflections, greater scene details, and improved frame rates. This optimization to support PS4 Pro is called Forward Compatibility." - Mark Cerny

For example,

"Rise of the Tomb Raider: 20 Year Celebration on the PlayStation 4 Pro will include three modes: 4K Resolution, High Framerate, and Enriched Visuals, allowing you to customize your experience. 4K Resolution displays the game in 4K Resolution, on supported 4K TVs, in 30 fps. High Framerate pushes the framerate above 30 fps at 1080p with a target of 60 fps for an even smoother gameplay experience. Enriched Visuals enhances graphical features of the game for a lusher and more realistic experience, in 1080p at 30 fps."

You are going to see a difference, for sure. Is it actually worth the upgrade? Now that's questionable.
I doubt the Pro will sell out any time soon so waiting a bit to see what people have to say is probably the best choice.

You are going to see a difference, for sure. Is it actually worth the upgrade? Now that's questionable.
I doubt the Pro will sell out any time soon so waiting a bit to see what people have to say is probably the best choice.

I have my concerns now about the true power of the console after the Tomb Raider comment from above.
"Enriched Visuals enhances graphical features of the game for a lusher and more realistic experience, in 1080p at 30 fps."

This gives me massive concerns about what is actually going to be capable from the PS4 Pro - my PC maxed out @1080p runs Rise of the Tomb Raider at an average of 104FPS.
In 4K on Medium settings - which I know isn't going to be capable on PS4 Pro runs at an average of 46FPS - That is also with FXAA turned on.

I was hoping this would give us more games running at 1080p 60FPS as well as 2K upscaled to 4K with Sony's Checkerboard bollocks? If not what really is the point to the PS4 Pro and is it just simply not beefy enough?

I have my concerns now about the true power of the console after the Tomb Raider comment from above.
"Enriched Visuals enhances graphical features of the game for a lusher and more realistic experience, in 1080p at 30 fps."

This gives me massive concerns about what is actually going to be capable from the PS4 Pro - my PC maxed out @1080p runs Rise of the Tomb Raider at an average of 104FPS.
In 4K on Medium settings - which I know isn't going to be capable on PS4 Pro runs at an average of 46FPS - That is also with FXAA turned on.

Looks like you have a pretty decent gaming PC, should you even bother with a console? They will always play second fiddle to the PC in a technical aspect. Thing is, most people are fine with that. Another thing is, the people who are fine with that don't really care about the Pro, and those who aren't, want something better than the Pro. So who is it for? Time will tell.

That said, I kind of want one. But I'm pretty sure I'll pass.

Looks like you have a pretty decent gaming PC, should you even bother with a console? They will always play second fiddle to the PC in a technical aspect. Thing is, most people are fine with that. Another thing is, the people who are fine with that don't really care about the Pro, and those who aren't, want something better than the Pro. So who is it for? Time will tell.

That said, I kind of want one. But I'm pretty sure I'll pass.

The reason I own a PS4 is purely based on the fact is has the best exclusives - compared to Xbone.
I would not be able to play Last of Us - Red Dead Redemption - Heavy Rain - Until Dawn by owning only a PC, so I own a console purely for the exclusives + it gives me a bluray player I probably wouldn't have otherwise.

I am buying the PRO because to me the graphics do matter.. Hopefully going from a PC to a PRO will be less painful to my eyes.

Mark Cerny is in London today doing a press event showing off the PRO so I imagine there's loads of impressions later

Only listened to about a minute of that guy and must say how many Sony execs gave him a blowjob?

He is praising the console way too much for it to be a legitimate review without some cash being involved.

Next week I will give you a review from a PC gamer perspective.

Only listened to about a minute of that guy and must say how many Sony execs gave him a blowjob?

He is praising the console way too much for it to be a legitimate review without some cash being involved.

Next week I will give you a review from a PC gamer perspective.

You don't know that. And reviewing something from a PC gamer perspective is silly. Where can you pick up a gaming PC for £349 which performs well and runs the latest games without any issues?

Some of us don't want to spend a £1000 on a gaming PC. I for one am looking forward to both the Pro and Xbox 'Scorpio'.

You don't know that. And reviewing something from a PC gamer perspective is silly. Where can you pick up a gaming PC for £349 which performs well and runs the latest games without any issues?

Some of us don't want to spend a £1000 on a gaming PC. I for one am looking forward to both the Pro and Xbox 'Scorpio'.

I am going to give my opinion based on how much the console has improved compared to the PS4 and how close it has actually got this time around towards current PC graphics - You don't have to read it simples...

Also I gave my opinion based on the short period I watched the video and decided to watch no more as IMO he is clearly being paid by Sony for his early impressions review about how great the PS4 PRO is.

I am going to give my opinion based on how much the console has improved compared to the PS4 and how close it has actually got this time around towards current PC graphics - You don't have to read it simples...

Also I gave my opinion based on the short period I watched the video and decided to watch no more as IMO he is clearly being paid by Sony for his early impressions review about how great the PS4 PRO is.

I know I don't have to read it but that's a bit of an immature argument. My original point is that I don't really care what a PC Gamer has to say about the PS4 Pro. I would rather read how it compares to the consoles currently on the market rather than an expensive PC gaming rig.

This isn't aimed at you but I find some PC gamers to be quite arrogant when it comes to technology and gaming. 1080p/60 fps isn't the be-all-and-end-all for some of us. The best games (for me) have always been simple yet beautifully crafted (Super Mario 3, the early Pro Evolution Soccer games etc).

I know I don't have to read it but that's a bit of an immature argument. My original point is that I don't really care what a PC Gamer has to say about the PS4 Pro. I would rather read how it compares to the consoles currently on the market rather than an expensive PC gaming rig.

This isn't aimed at you but I find some PC gamers to be quite arrogant when it comes to technology and gaming. 1080p/60 fps isn't the be-all-and-end-all for some of us. The best games (for me) have always been simple yet beautifully crafted (Super Mario 3, the early Pro Evolution Soccer games etc).

Comparing the PS4 Pro against a PS4 could also be seen as quite pointless, your comparing a console which is capable of running games in native 4k and has twice the graphical power of the other systems currently available on the market.

Theoretically the PS4 Pro should be able to produce better graphics than the current PS4, if games are patched correctly then they can potentially run at higher framerates and have much more graphical features switched on. (Look at Placebo's GTA image for the difference in graphics quality which hopefully the PS4 Pro will be able to produce)

1080 @60FPS might not be the be-all-and-end-all for you, but personally this is what I was hoping for the most from the PS4 Pro, a system which uses it's extra graphical power to produce a smooth gameplay experience - which is something I personally find an issue with the current PS4.
(Graphically Until Dawn is fantastic and that comes from an *Arrogant* PC gamer - However the frame rate is shocking and stutters are very noticeable - If the PS4 Pro makes Until Dawn smooth then the console is a massive win IMO)

Last edited:
sending my PS4 to Shopto tomorrow - how do I clear PS4 memory? must be under settings somewhere? master reset? thanks

Back
Top Bottom