Sony PlayStation 4 PRO

This is pretty much what was expected but people don't seem to be falling over themselves from excitement. Looks like the old model will do quite nicely for now.

I know the old PS4 didn't see much of a performance or speed boost with an ssd due to bus or sata speeds or something cant remember exactly but I would be very interested to know if the pro one will

14191907_1153364311368501_4339388247988225613_n.jpg

Don't care much about BR since I don't even use mine for movies and just stream instead.

Pre-ordered the Big Mac for the better performances and looks :)

The lack of UHD drive I think will be down to them looking at the data and thinking that for the vast majority 4K blue ray is just not important for a few years by which time the PS5 will be out. This plus the trend of consumers moving away from physical media.

I compare this to the strategy that Apple use, essentially this is the S model that we see with the iPhones.

This puts Sony into a decent position. They now have an entry level model at £249 and an enhanced model for £349. The Scorpio will be minimum £400 and could be higher by which time Sony can reduce the price of the Pro to £300.

They also know exactly what their main competitor is doing with the Xbox Scorpio so 12 to 14 months down the line they can come out and announce the PS5 to launch in 2018 and outspec the Xbox Scorpio.

I've got zero interest in 4K Blurays - or even 4K video. I buy a games console to play games on, and besides that, I hate Netflix/Amazon/etc. because whatever it is you're looking for, unless it's a new show or it's exclusive to that provider, the likelihood is that they won't have it.

I've pre-ordered it because I'm excited for the better graphics, and for better VR - but I'll be getting the Scorpio too once that's released, and looking at the specs that'll clearly be the winner. (Still worth having both if you're interested in VR, though.)

I am disappointed that the system will not include a 4K bluray.

Least now it should be able to run games @60FPS which is the main thing lacking from the cheeseburger model.

They may have upgraded it to a Big Mac but it is far from a Whooper.

Not bothered by the lack of 4k Blu-Ray. Having gone completely digital 3 years ago I've never used the disc drive on the PS4 for movies or games. Very happy with the PS4 Pro specs and price point. Will be selling my PS4 soon on Amazon and upgrading in November.

The lack of UHD drive I think will be down to them looking at the data and thinking that for the vast majority 4K blue ray is just not important for a few years by which time the PS5 will be out. This plus the trend of consumers moving away from physical media.

I compare this to the strategy that Apple use, essentially this is the S model that we see with the iPhones.

This puts Sony into a decent position. They now have an entry level model at £249 and an enhanced model for £349. The Scorpio will be minimum £400 and could be higher by which time Sony can reduce the price of the Pro to £300.

They also know exactly what their main competitor is doing with the Xbox Scorpio so 12 to 14 months down the line they can come out and announce the PS5 to launch in 2018 and outspec the Xbox Scorpio.

PS5 in 2018? That won't happen. Maybe 2019 the earliest.

Not bothered by the lack of 4k Blu-Ray. Having gone completely digital 3 years ago I've never used the disc drive on the PS4 for movies or games. Very happy with the PS4 Pro specs and price point. Will be selling my PS4 soon on Amazon and upgrading in November.

Same too you, I never used disc drive on my PS4 when I buy it, only download & download. I want to buy new PS4 but i've bought 4 controllers & i don't know all of them can be use normally for PS4 Pro, only different about a slither of light bar at the top of the touch pad, hope so still used it & not need buy new controller

I'm not impressed at all with the lack of a UHD BD Drive, that's an added expense for me but it won't stop me from buying the console.

TBH I find it quite shocking that everyone is lapping up what Sony/MS are doing without issue or complaint, basically they released a console with specs too low for the requirements of modern gaming purely to maximise profit by keeping the price of the unit down, so we bought it, then they're saying "soooooooooo sorry you bought our shit as you're all finding out it's weak assed shit, so how about you all give us another $400 for a new one, this time we got the specs right, honest!".

Personally there's no fucking way after buying a PS4 I'll be buying their "pro", it's an insult to their customers the way they've acted, only possible way I'd "upgrade" is if they do some kind of trade in scheme (which as far as I'm concerned they 100% should be doing).

I'm amazed it cant play 4K Blu rays but I don't own any anyway as I stream my 4k movies from Kodi and a great add on called Release Hub.

I wont upgrade until the PS5.

The xbox is shit for PES and option files plus in comes in 1980s white which looks cheap and wont go with my lovely new TV.

TBH I find it quite shocking that everyone is lapping up what Sony/MS are doing without issue or complaint, basically they released a console with specs too low for the requirements of modern gaming purely to maximise profit by keeping the price of the unit down, so we bought it, then they're saying "soooooooooo sorry you bought our shit as you're all finding out it's weak assed shit, so how about you all give us another $400 for a new one, this time we got the specs right, honest!".

Personally there's no fucking way after buying a PS4 I'll be buying their "pro", it's an insult to their customers the way they've acted, only possible way I'd "upgrade" is if they do some kind of trade in scheme (which as far as I'm concerned they 100% should be doing).

(a) Why would you trade in when you could just sell and get more money for it?

(b) I don't get why people would need to upgrade anyway in the majority of cases. If you have a massive 4K HDR TV then money clearly isn't something you lack / are interested in keeping. If money does matter to you then you stick with your existing console which doesn't become defunct in any way. If there were Pro-only titles and I was being pressured into buying one then I'd be livid. But as someone who actually uses their PS4 this doesn't affect me at all.

It seems the majority of patches which are going to be released are going to potentially up the resolution to 1440, for those with a 4K tv.

Firewatch have confirmed this is what they are working on for their patch and I reckon majority of companies will do the same but keep the games @30FPS... As with the improved graphics of the PRO I do not see the FPS being increased to 60 as well an improved resolution.

Even at twice the power the reality is it is still massively underpowered.

I will be very interested to see what Microsoft do with the Scorpio - As I believe they won't want to release a massively underpowered console like this generation.

I was all on board to getting a Pro, but the whole underwhelming reveal has kinda put me off it now. I have not pre-ordered it, mainly as I think Day 1 purchase dudes will get done again. I possibly will be interested with a game or two thrown in at £350, but it's not for me Beaky, not at that price point.

I will get a PS4 Pro because it makes sense to. I've got a day one PS4 which is on its last legs from the sounds of it so makes sense to upgrade. Game are doing a deal in the uk where you can trade your PS4 console and 5 games excluding FIFA 14 & 15 and you will get the Pro half price. Just buy 5 cheap crap games from the bargain bin that aren't the FIFA games and away you go

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2016/09/uk_store_game_will_sell_you_a_ps4_pro_for_p174_99

My PS4 is also on his legs and it's already my second (the first one broke down after less than a year and i got a new one for free).

Maybe i'll buy a new one...but i have to agree with placebo.

Sony, Micrfosoft, Apple...they have virtual monopolies and they have all the power...

Back
Top Bottom