So what next?

Status
Not open for further replies.

proxi

Champions League
9 February 2003
Sheffield
Tottenham Hotspur
There's a lot of fannying about in Off-Topic about the bald man going to the wig shop or something?

Anyway.. what's gonna be next for the site? And what do people believe is the way forward from this stuff, some people are pissed, others just want to boost the site.

One thing I've picked up on is the "PES being wank" flava, and it creating a lull of some sort, arguments between the PES and FIFA lovers and all other kind of bollocks. Would the site ever turn into a PES & FIFA site instead of just PES? It's easy to understand how the site creators might want to always keep the PES flag firmly high above the opposition but I for one wouldn't mind a change. However, this would also create the possibility of FIFA-subforum posters posting hatred (sarcastic or not) in the PES-subforums and vice versa - however there's ways round this. Secondary user groups for people to join, granting them access to the "hardcore" FIFA or PES areas so that harmony is restored.

normal_Injurylawyers4u_advert_017.jpg

Also, with Tim7 running off, is anyone else leaving or anyone new joining or getting promoted at Evo HQ?

Just felt this could be a better topic that the "other one", where site progress in this transitional time can be monitored perhaps?

The "make the site about FIFA too you fascists!!!!!1" debate has repeated for a while now, and every time the guys at the top have said it will never happen. I am in favour of the site supporting FIFA as well but having spoken to one of the top-brass about it I can see their side of the argument.

For a start, PES has only been disgracefully bad this year (and even then there are those who still play it). Who knows what will happen next? Seabass is going to get a kick up the flipper, and if the next PES isn't a miracle he may have had his chips (sorry, had to say it). FIFA, also, has only been a true competitor this year, and Euro 2008 was a worse game in many respects. If FIFA 09 is based on that, and early reviews seem to hint it when they talk about the goalkeepers parrying everything, then we might be very disappointed.

I personally think PES won't improve enough, and I think FIFA will go from strength to strength, but that's just opinion and not based on any fact. One other fact is that the majority come here to download PES patches and to participate in the PES editing forum - 20-50 people are in those forums at any one moment, compared to, what, 10 in off-topic? And even then there's only 10 if there's something reminiscent of a Coronation Street storyline going down in there.

So from what I've been told, no, the site will never be renamed to Evo-FIFA-Web. But we can still talk about it in the "other football games discussion" forum so that's enough for me.

Last edited:
I am praying the next PES is going to be good. If not I really don't know.

We all came to this site to celebrate the Best football game and to enhance that game with the many hard work people put in for patches and option files etc

But If PES fails to deliver again and Fifa Progresses even more - then I feel this needs to be recognized in some way.

If it is about more people joining - then I feel you need to keep up with the times. If what I said does happen above then I feel the site needs to change.

In what way though - I have no clue. I wouldn't like a name change though. The name shouldn't change. They can just say it is a site dedicated to the Evolution of Football games in general :DD

But in saying that - I believe the site - is much more than a football game site now and there are so many other threads that people read and participate in.

But in saying that - I believe the site - is much more than a football game site now and there are so many other threads that people read and participate in.
You say that but the fact of the matter is that there are ten times the amount of people in the patch forums and in the editing forums than anywhere else. I'm always in off-topic myself but, if the "X viewing" tag under each forum name was working again, you could see that the editing forum typically has around 50 browsers whilst off-topic has significantly less, the vast majority of the time a one-digit number, and it's the same people all the time. New members don't go into off-topic, when was the last time someone posted who you didn't know? Apart from when it's a one-off or it's a spambot.

Last edited:
The rest of the sentence guides you to the fact I mean "from HQ", as in Staff old bean.

In what way though - I have no clue. I wouldn't like a name change though. The name shouldn't change. They can just say it is a site dedicated to the Evolution of Football games in general :DD
Oo-er, I really like that with the name!

Is there a big FIFA modding scene? Just curious. Never looked into it as I've been Pro Evo sided for years before FIFA 07

SoccerGaming houses a big chunk of it - there's not as much as with Pro Evo because everything's included and licensed anyway. There's a few transfer updates and things like that but nothing much else, apart from the odd hardcore guy who wants to put next season's kits in last season's FIFA.

At the moment the site is remaining PES based but with a healthy dose now of other football games, in particular FIFA.

We discussed this a few months back and I feel that encompassing more football games would really require a focus and name change as Evo-Web is synonymous with Pro Evo but also the editing of it too.

A rough plan at the moment is a redesign that I've started work on. Once that's in place we have a few ideas that we could then look at implementing.

Blogs are something I've been looking at, whether there are a few for a couple of members or if there's just one for the site I don't know yet.

Videos are still to be revisited too. Unfortunately the chap I set up our video domain with has been away for quite a while and the site is not currently working so I've been looking at either producing a video site directly on our servers or sorting something out with SoccerGaming as I'd prefer control over the quality of the videos and integration with the site as it is.

Ideas are gratefully received from anyone too no matter how big or small a suggestion, the worst that can happen is it not being implemented.

Isn't the front page an blog already? It just needs more updates.

I rarely ever go there. My bookmarks is directed to the forums.

About videos, wouldn't be easier just to create a channel on YouTube and embed the videos here?

I said before, I see nothing wrong with a sub forum for FIFA, as modding is not big in that game.

About the name change, I vote against. The name Evo-Web is perfectly fine.
But of course if there is plans to bring mroe people and make it a 50-50 PES-FIFA site I can understand that.

Last edited:
PES is dead to me.

But not the other who knows how many who sign up for this site on a daily basis.

I say keep the name, maybe a sub forum, and like Revan said, might be easier to open a channel - but i'd strongly suggest Dailymotion because the quality is better and the speeds are much faster.

Yeah Dailymotion > YouTube. I want to keep the name Evo Web, we are Evo Web, that's what we're known as and established as.

But not the other who knows how many who sign up for this site on a daily basis.

I say keep the name, maybe a sub forum, and like Revan said, might be easier to open a channel - but i'd strongly suggest Dailymotion because the quality is better and the speeds are much faster.
Whenever I look in a PES section or a PES editing/download section every so often just to see what they are going on about and what sort of patches have been made, 90% of the posts come from people who type like 5 year olds who know nothing about football and only have a PC (seems the only reason to play PES over Fifa now)... Not the best sort of members to have around.

When I first joined, I just chose a random crappy unimaginative username just so I could head over to the download section for some patches, I hardly posted and when I did I posted silly posts (I was 13 ;))) but there were good members there, people who were well respected and made good posts. This was because PES was the best football game available and the people who know a lot about football would prefer it, now it's the opposite of that. The mature people who can have a discussion and seem to be proper football fans all seem to stay away from the PES side of things on this site and stick to the "Other football games discussion", "Other games discussion", "Off topic discussion" sections etc.

When all your best members stay away from the site's main topics (PES and PES downloads) I think a change is needed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fully agreed on that one. I can understand the pride and sentiment for the theme of the site, but I'm definitely seeing a lot of what Rob mentions. If only I was one of the best members, because I'd fit into the last line there perfectly otherwise. Haven't gone in the Pro Evo areas for an age.

dude i call bullshit, fifa is good for what it is, the only playable next gen football title. WE/PES was great for anything, anygame. It was simply the best sports title i had ever played. We should not ditch evo until they put out three to four years of utter shit on the next gen, we still got two more years in my mind. But fifa compared to we7i or 8 is not as good, is not as good as an achievement, not even close. Fifa has waaaaaaaaaaaaay more flaws then alot of you want to lead on. You act as if the fucking two second delay is a feature and not shit programming. Evo gave us years of joy why cant we repay her with the same? and opinions on here about fifa are so two different ends of the spectrum, some guys hate, some guys love, some guys love it but hate EURO, some guys hate fifa but love euro, lets face it, its not as universally loved as WE PES was in the glory days...

Last edited:
dude i call bullshit, fifa is good for what it is, the only playable next gen football title. WE/PES was great for anything, anygame. It was simply the best sports title i had ever played. We should not ditch evo until they put out three to four years of utter shit on the next gen, we still got two more years in my mind. But fifa compared to we7i or 8 is not as good, is not as good as an achievement, not even close. Fifa has waaaaaaaaaaaaay more flaws then alot of you want to lead on. You act as if the fucking two second delay is a feature and not shit programming. Evo gave us years of joy why cant we repay her with the same? and opinions on here about fifa are so two different ends of the spectrum, some guys hate, some guys love, some guys love it but hate EURO, some guys hate fifa but love euro, lets face it, its not as universally loved as WE PES was in the glory days...
What matters about gaming is the present, what we are playing now - not what we played in the past. There's only so much reminiscing you can do, then what is there to say about PES?

FIFA 08 may not be groundbreaking, but it is the best football game available even through it's flaws, as the gameplay is much deeper than any other football game and the manual controls work quite well.

WE7I, WE8 or PES5 may have been more of an achievement at the time they were released, but that doesn't mean this site should still revolve around something which has had it's time and has now become crap while a competitor has surpassed it.

When all your best members stay away from the site's main topics (PES and PES downloads) I think a change is needed.

How would you define "best members" ????

And if you want it to make sense then it should be an objective definition...

How would you define "best members" ????

And if you want it to make sense then it should be an objective definition...
The best members are the ones that can type properly, have proper discussions, are friendly and can appreciate a football game without having biased opinions (i.e JB, Tim, CW, Joe, Dags, Milanista and anyone else like that who I have missed out).

These are just stupid arguments

just because the so called "best members" or "the lads" or whatever stay away from the main topics don't mean anything

there are far more people who come here for PES than the above people and sorry to say if people don't like it they should join a Fifa forum

The way every ones going on is like Mart and Co are banning all random chat and Fifa talk when all they have done is got rid of some mods and admins. Is that really that big of a deal? there not going anywhere are they?

The community on this site as a whole define what Evo-Web should be. It doesn't matter how the site looks, or how boards are labeled. The feel, communication style and general appeal is completely in our own hands.

Mart, Tom and the other Mods can help to set rules, but fundamentally EW's reputation has not been driven by them/us (mods), its been built from the fact that we have the best set of members compared to other sites. We should all be looking at the site and suggesting ways to make it better, don't just rely on Mart.

Personally, from my perspective, we have too many sections. Most of these were put in place for a reason, I think they can cause a negative reaction as people become segregated into mini-communities. This can only breed fanboyism, which is certainly something we all have to get away from.

I don't know all the answers to take this place forward, looking backwards isn't one of best options though.

I agree in part we have a massive editing section with people who never post or even probably look at the rest of the site and vise-vesra... I don't see that as a problem though, I think that will always be the case.
There are a hardcore of posters who shall we say "make the most noise in here" this has upset one or two people judging by comments and reactions and sometimes this needs addressing. Though as long as people are not made to feel alienated or intimidated and are allowed to express their opinions without fear of ridicule, I think the forums work okay.
The shift in balance in the FIFA/PES universe has caused some problems and will need addressing by the Admins, but I'm sure EVO WEB will adapt and thrive as ever, I can't think of any other forum, bar the ones I mod etc, where I come every chance I get.

Evo-Web quite rightly nailed their colours to the PES mast all those years ago, so I think it's right to stick by them for at least a little bit longer. Yes, it's pretty duff currently, but then FIFA is hardly leap and bounds better.

In the land of the blind, as the saying goes, the one-eyed man is King. If PES comes back with a double-peeper standard game later this year, this place will be a lot happier.

Lot's of people currently discuss FIFA so perhaps it should, through sheer weight of traffic, get it's own dedicated area within Evo-Web. Purely common-sense, doesn't need to be about preferring one game to another. As for flaming each other about FIFA & PES, I haven't been in either section for ages but if EW are looking for a way to accomodate 2 sets of twats, then they're already on to a loser.

I'm not on here much anymore, but I do get the sense that this place has become a bit cliquey over the last couple of years, something I think Gerd has alluded to. I don't pay a great deal of attention, and I'm never in threads where 'cliqueyness' is manifest, but he's taken a bit of stick over the last few days for calling a spade a spade which I think is wrong. But I also think it's wrong to blame a clique - they are after all, just a bunch of blokes who get on.

What I do think is that Evo-Web has lost a lot of it's vocal independents in recent times, and so in a general sense, a lot of it's character. But's it's not a bad place still, there is a lot of hand wringing about the current site but really, I've been to lot's that are much, much worse!

If you're still reading at this point - I salute you! :SAL:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom